Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mr. Bing posted:

Dancer or I riot.

I'm with on that one.

LET ME DANCE FOREVER AND A DAY, YOSHI-P!

Or perhaps Yoshi-P is scared that my Dance is the Dance that will pierce the heavens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

slight spoiler image found at the end of leviathan questline;

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

SpazmasterX posted:

Uh, thieves in FF1 became ninjas. It's kind of a thing.

THF is still a job and if you haven't noticed SE has an aversion to making jobs basic classes in 14

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

THF will be a dps job off of GLD and NIN will be a support. Both will be able to off-hand one-handed bladed weapons to match their main hand.

That's my prediction.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Heavy armor thief and ninja, sure why not.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Heavy armor thief and ninja, sure why not.

Could just exclude them from GLD gear, like how SCH can't wear DPS Caster gear, but ACN and SMN can.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
We'll probably get something like cutpurse or urchin as a class that jobs up into thief and ninja. Dance would probably job up from pugilist??

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

^^^
Yeah, Im guessing dancer will come out of pugilist. Would be pretty funny foreshadowing from Hamon when he confuses you for a dancer the first time he sees you.

Yukari posted:

Could just exclude them from GLD gear, like how SCH can't wear DPS Caster gear, but ACN and SMN can.

They'd still be wearing heavy armor all the way till cap, when now suddenly they have to switch to leather.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

SpazmasterX posted:

Uh, thieves in FF1 became ninjas. It's kind of a thing.

Warriors also became Knights (Paladins) in the same game.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'm with on that one.

LET ME DANCE FOREVER AND A DAY, YOSHI-P!

Or perhaps Yoshi-P is scared that my Dance is the Dance that will pierce the heavens?
Well, we already inspired Master Guillaunaux to re-evaluate his approach to the profession of dance.
Mayhap when we cross his path again he will have endeavoured to apply the graceful art to the more worldly needs of this age of Adventurers. :3:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
GLD has a pretty high piety gain so i could see them getting a magic dps job like spell sword or red mage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

gobbledygoat posted:

GLD has a pretty high piety gain so i could see them getting a magic dps job like spell sword or red mage.

Mystic Knight would be GLD/THM, yeah.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Please no loving weird classes from FFXI in this game, keep the trifecta and don't go for goddamned hybrids. It's going to be even more impossible to find non-morons the more hybrid bullshit they add

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ilifinicus posted:

Please no loving weird classes from FFXI in this game, keep the trifecta and don't go for goddamned hybrids. It's going to be even more impossible to find non-morons the more hybrid bullshit they add
I believe Yoshi-P has gone on record as wanting to implement a "Support" class type, of which Bard would be one.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Zereth posted:

I believe Yoshi-P has gone on record as wanting to implement a "Support" class type, of which Bard would be one.
How many years ago was this? I've seen what the game looked like in the early stages of ARR, they definitely went a different direction from that.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

ilifinicus posted:

How many years ago was this? I've seen what the game looked like in the early stages of ARR, they definitely went a different direction from that.

He said this just before 2.1 hit.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/119279-FFXIV-Patch-2.1-Press-Interviews-with-Yoshida posted:

Will it be divided up by light party/full party content?
Yoshida: Apart from the Crystal Tower which is alliance content, we plan for endgame content to be focused on a unit of eight players. For example, gathering Allagan Tomestones is good for a light party, but I feel like eight players is the smallest unit that should take on strong bosses.
Any reason in particular that you feel that way?
Yoshida: Yes, we want to make sure that there is space in the party for at least two people of each role. 4-6 players is a number which has been used frequently in recent MMOs, but I stuck with the figure of eight people since back in the design stage for the aforementioned reasons. You can have two each of healer and tank and four DPS in the present situation. Once we add the hybrid role (which serves multiple roles), you'll be able to have two players from each role, for a total of 8 people.

While Yoshida didn't actually specifically mention BRD, it's very easy to assume that BRD will shift over from the DPS :airquote:"Red Job Icon":airquote: role and into the Hybrid Role (Whatever color icon they get, orange or something, I dunno), considering that these days it's pretty much pseudo-mandatory to bring a BRD to any end-game event for the support they bring. While their off-shoot job (Ranger seems obvious?) will be the pure DPS job for the ARC Class.

Just like how it's pretty easy to assume that any upcoming hybrid role jobs will function similarly to how BRD works right now. That is to say... they'll pump out slightly lower damage than the pure DPS specs (Monk, Dragoon, etc..) but bring various perks to the group which will help support the other roles (MP Regen, HP Regen, TP Regen, Haste, Bonus Damage, Lessen Damage Taken, etc..)

Alot of assumptions though...

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Cue 10 minutes of the DPS and Healer knowing exactly what we're up to and the tank literally just standing and tanking it in one place.

I'm sorry guys after spending the entire time typing frantically "Tank, please pull onto gas," I did end up cursing the tank out when he DPSed the thing to death.

Yeah, I've had this happen a few times; just have the healer let the tank die so #2 on enmity list can drag the turtle into place.

Algid posted:

How much does getting the i70 mainhand help with the 40 dura 2 star synths? What are the chances without that but with max melds? I'm trying to get some recipe books and wondering if I should just buy the mats instead of trying to HQ them myself.

edit: have everything at 50, can eat food, have glasses, etc.

Since you have to get the master book in order to make the items for the i70 mainhand turn-in, it's kind of a moot point (except for BSM/ARM). I only had one NQ out of all the 40 DUR 2-star synths I did for my mainhands, though, winging it with hasty touches and melded to about 347 crafts/340 control on each class (pre-Artisan's Spectacles).

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

seorin posted:

Obviously it helps, but I don't think it makes a huge difference. With maxed gear and the right rotation I can HQ those about 98% of the time. Here's the macro I use:
code:
/ac "Comfort Zone" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Inner Quiet" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Waste Not" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Manipulation" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Ingenuity II" <me> <wait.3>
/echo <se.10> Check for Excellent <se.10>
Followed by GS/BB and a couple CS2.
I think you need mainhand for this since I only get 107 progress with ingenuity II assuming cp food.

I did just get 5 hq hard hippo leather using hasty spam. Only had to reclaim once.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Happy Blue Cow posted:

He said this just before 2.1 hit.

While Yoshida didn't actually specifically mention BRD, it's very easy to assume that BRD will shift over from the DPS :airquote:"Red Job Icon":airquote: role and into the Hybrid Role (Whatever color icon they get, orange or something, I dunno), considering that these days it's pretty much pseudo-mandatory to bring a BRD to any end-game event for the support they bring. While their off-shoot job (Ranger seems obvious?) will be the pure DPS job for the ARC Class.

I'd like to see Scholar shift over to Support as well, or at least have the ability to queue as one. I feel like i'm doing the most on Scholar when i'm doing something where I can drop into Cleric and get a full round of dots off.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I would like to see another starting healing/support class, for the benefit of the roulettes if nothing else. Maybe a time mage? C'mon I want haste. Time maaaage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I didn't know that he was interested in a Support-style role. That certainly makes my idea of Pugilist -> Dancer with reduced damage but buffs/passive healing a bit more feasible! Hooray empty theories!

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Problem I can see so far is, where does the slot fit? He said that he wants to go with Tank, Heal, DPS, Support as the 4, but currently, DPS checks are tuned for having 2 DPSs. Double those numbers for a full party. A lot of current endgame fights have DPS checks that are tight enough when using the usual Full Party (2/2/4 split), where if you swapped out a DPS, you can possibly fail the check.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Algid posted:

I think you need mainhand for this since I only get 107 progress with ingenuity II assuming cp food.

I did just get 5 hq hard hippo leather using hasty spam. Only had to reclaim once.

If you can't get it with a CS2, remove one BT from the end and add an unbuffed HT somewhere else. That should cover your last action with SH2 and give you the CP to use Standard Synthesis instead.

Yukari posted:

Problem I can see so far is, where does the slot fit? He said that he wants to go with Tank, Heal, DPS, Support as the 4, but currently, DPS checks are tuned for having 2 DPSs. Double those numbers for a full party. A lot of current endgame fights have DPS checks that are tight enough when using the usual Full Party (2/2/4 split), where if you swapped out a DPS, you can possibly fail the check.

If support tends to enhance party DPS, that solves that problem easily. They do less damage alone, but make everyone else do more.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Presumably 'support' jobs would basically be DPS jobs with a little less damage and a little more utility (kind of like how bards already are). They'd probably have abilities that boost their teammates' damage to compensate for not putting out as much DPS themselves.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You keep talking about support jobs like there hasn't been one in forever. Bard exists to support.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Some warrior finally convinced their FC to throw a weapon upgrade their way:

Did not realize the head of the axe spun sideways to reveal another blade.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I would like to see another starting healing/support class, for the benefit of the roulettes if nothing else. Maybe a time mage? C'mon I want haste. Time maaaage.

The expansion really desperately needs to introduce a second core healer. Once you hit 30 and Scholars proliferate, it's better, but especially by the time we hit the end of the year, low-level healers are going to be in short, short supply.

And yeah I am pulling for Dancer healer. I'd switch to that and never stop, really.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SpaceDrake posted:

And yeah I am pulling for Dancer healer. I'd switch to that and never stop, really.

You would betray the Most Learned Order of Book Club/Faerie Appreciation?

I don't know if we can be friends anymore. :(

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

There is a haste already, its Selene.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ps am no frog posted:

There is a haste already, its Selene.

What is Selene?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

What is Selene?

The yellow/pink support-oriented scholar fairy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

What is Selene?

Selene is the yellow Scholar pet, who has a silence and a Spellspeed / Skillspeed party buff instead of healing cooldowns.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The image linked earlier on this page is very telling, but there's also quest text along the lines of "we don't talk about our guild, for...reasons". Which is very much what a thieves' guild, especially one with a tenuous wink-and-nod relationship with Limsa's leadership, would be like.

Rogue -> [Thief / Ninja]

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Okay, so I just hit Level 42 Warrior. I got Holmgang, and now I have no idea how to setup my hotbar. I play with a controller just because I find it a lot more comfortable the way I sit and play and it's faster for me to hit all the buttons that way, but I just have SO MANY SKILLS now that I think I have to sit back and reprioritize how to best optimize everything since up until now I was just sort of throwing things on the binds without thinking about it... Anyone have any ideas? Like what should I ALWAYS have access to (Face Buttons) and what's a little less important to always be hammering (D-pad)?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It would be a bit nicer if my retainer had somehow come back with an iLvl 60 scholar book instead of a summoner one, but A for effort.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Holmgang is a thing you definitely want easy access to it, since it can (literally) be a life-saver and therefore a group-saver. (Such as a crazy Turn 2 I did last night where only the two tanks survived to the end, and solely due to Hallowed Ground and Holmgang. Apparently you can do Enrage in the DF, though.)

As for how to set that up for your controller, I use keyboard/mouse so... :shrug:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rei_ posted:

Okay, so I just hit Level 42 Warrior. I got Holmgang, and now I have no idea how to setup my hotbar. I play with a controller just because I find it a lot more comfortable the way I sit and play and it's faster for me to hit all the buttons that way, but I just have SO MANY SKILLS now that I think I have to sit back and reprioritize how to best optimize everything since up until now I was just sort of throwing things on the binds without thinking about it... Anyone have any ideas? Like what should I ALWAYS have access to (Face Buttons) and what's a little less important to always be hammering (D-pad)?

Have you set up your crossbar to utilize the double-trigger bars? It's the easiest way to have all your skills and more available without actually switching through bars. I'll post my setup once I get home shortly and can actually screenshot them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, it seems a given that we're going to get a Rogue-type class before long, but I'm still wondering when we'll get a class that uses guns. I mean, there's a guild-desk for them just opposite the Marauders one, and there's an NPC there complaining that there's a background check on firearms.

What I'm asking, really, is 'when do I get my flintlock on?'.

Edit: For maximum piraticalness, I guess a rogue class could use a pistol as a primary weapon and use daggers in the secondary slot?

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 23, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Guys, Dancer fills the role of support down perfectly. Let's look at FFXI's Dancer:

Sambas would inflict a effect that allowed everyone in your party who hit the mob to drain either HP or MP.

Waltzes were used to cure single or all party members and heal status effects.

Jigs were self boosts, like quick or sneak/invisible.

Steps enfeebled the mob, inflicting status effects.

### All of these abilities generated finishing moves, which were used for...

Flourishes, which did a variety of different things. One really good ability converted the finishing moves into TP, which was what was consumed by all the moves listed above.

Goddamn, all this talk about Dancer has me remember how badass Dancer was. And it dual-wielded knives too! (At first it didn't; you had to equip NIN as your subjob to use the Dual-Wield trait but it was eventually patched in as a Dancer trait)

GOD drat YOU YOSHI-P LET ME ONCE AGAIN DANCE FOREVER AND A DAY *~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
So I ran WP for Book of Sky II, beat Tonberry King and.... it didn't mark it as completed? Ran Brayflox and that got marked off just fine. I was robbed I tell you

• Locked thread