Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The only person I know to go JAG who wasn't already a vet was one girl who spent a year and a half volunteering as an attorney at a major army base while living with her parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Glow Sticks posted:

What's the feasibility of transfering within T14?
It's feasible.

quote:

If I manage to hold down my 4.0 at Georgetown would I be able to transfer into the top 5?
It's a possibility.

quote:

Is it worth transferring to anywhere less than HYS?
Probably not. I mean, even at the lowest rung of the T14, if you're sporting a cool 4.0 -- which I'm presuming they don't hand out like candy, so you're in the Top 3% or so -- it should be a very difficult decision for you to give that up for anything less than HYS. I'd think long and hard about T5. I personally wouldn't give up your potentially stellar class rank at Georgetown for anything less than that.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Soylent Pudding posted:

The only person I know to go JAG who wasn't already a vet was one girl who spent a year and a half volunteering as an attorney at a major army base while living with her parents.

I have a friend who went JAG w/ no military experience and a degree from a T4 law school. I still don't know how.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Even Balzac knew law was a dumb career, back in 1835

Balzac posted:

By the age of thirty, you will be a judge making 1,200 francs a year, if you haven’t yet tossed away your robes. When you reach forty, you will marry a miller’s daughter with an income of around 6,000 livres. Thank you very much.

If you’re lucky enough to find a patron, you will become a royal prosecutor at thirty, with compensation of a thousand écus [5,000 francs], and you will marry the mayor’s daughter. If you’re willing to do a little political dirty work, you will be a prosecutor-general by the time you’re forty.… It is my privilege to point out to you, however, that there are only twenty prosecutors-general in France, while 20,000 of you aspire to the position, and among them are a few clowns who would sell their families to move up a rung.

If this profession disgusts you, consider another. Would Baron de Rastignac like to be a lawyer? Very well then! You will need to suffer ten years of misery, spend a thousand francs a month, acquire a library and an office, frequent society, kiss the hem of a clerk to get cases, and lick the courthouse floor with your tongue .

If the profession led anywhere, I wouldn’t advise you against it. But can you name five lawyers in Paris who earn more than 50,000 francs a year at the age of fifty?

Even before there were 203 (gently caress!) ABA accredited law schools it was Don't Go, No Jobs, Die Alone.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Jagchosis posted:

Nah, I don't talk to administration. They send a call for applications to 2Ls in February for the exchange program. I just state that because the people who do it are sad, terrible human beings based on the ones from both Berkeley who are slated for next year and Harvard people at Berkeley that I've talked to. Being dissatisfied with school is a prime motivation.

Is anyone here JAG Corps? If so, how did you fellate the military in your application? I have an ADSO for Army and as much as law sucks I guess it would suck worse having a completely useless JD during those years, so, any guidance on how to appeal to these [nice people] would be nice. I've been doing veteran legal services clinics all of 2L and will continue to do so in 3L, but they didn't give me the JAG summer internship so how else do I appeal to these [gentlemen]?

EDIT: Changed inflammatory references to hopeful future employers

'rising' isn't controversial, it's just pretentious - doubly so if you're claiming 'rising' while still in the previous school year.

Is it Berkely or law school that makes you dissatisfied? Whichever it is, what is it that makes you so dissatisfied?
What did you expect being a lawyer to be like when you started? How has that changed?

Are you in FLEP, or are you in whatever the Army calls their 'go to grad school' program? If you're a FLEPper (and can pass the bar) you don't have to worry. If not, you need to talk to whatever the Army calls its MOS career monitors about a lateral move to JAGC. Since the JACG already has FLEP and there's a drawdown, good luck with that, unfortunately

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The school keeps calling us rising 2Ls and I think it sounds dumb as gently caress.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Too bad you can't probate them.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
nah

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 26, 2016

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
To be fair, lots of careers are tedious and unfulfilling, just like being a lawyer.

Also, I raised my hand and asked John Yoo about torturing terrorists' children when he came to speak at my law school. I believe his answer started with "Now, I'm not saying I want to crush children's testicles..."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Glow Sticks posted:

What's the feasibility of transfering within T14? If I manage to hold down my 4.0 at Georgetown would I be able to transfer into the top 5? Is it worth transferring to anywhere less than HYS?

Undergrad GPA 3.6 and LSAT 170, if that matters

Possible. A friend at Georgetown transferred to Yale, is certainly possible. Not guaranteed though.

Jagchosis posted:

Is anyone here JAG Corps? If so, how did you fellate the military in your application? I have an ADSO for Army and as much as law sucks I guess it would suck worse having a completely useless JD during those years, so, any guidance on how to appeal to these [nice people] would be nice. I've been doing veteran legal services clinics all of 2L and will continue to do so in 3L, but they didn't give me the JAG summer internship so how else do I appeal to these [gentlemen]?

How do you feel about DV work? Because from what I hear from my JAG friend, that's most of her workload.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just saw this job posting, bolding mine

quote:

District Attorney

Marin County District Attorney
3501 Civic Center Drive, Room 130
San Rafael, CA 94903
Deputy District Attorney (Uncompensated)
Salary: Uncompensated

Position Description:

The Marin County District Attorney's Office is seeking applications from attorneys who are willing to accept unpaid, temporary positions that offer a valuable opportunity to gain courtroom experience including trying misdemeanor jury trials. Successful applicants will serve as sworn Deputy District Attorneys with responsibilities that include handling daily criminal calendars, handling various motions, trying misdemeanor jury trials, and conducting legal research. These are FULL TIME positions that require a minimum commitment of six months and may continue for up to one year. Due to budgetary constraints, the Marin County District Attorney's Office is unable to hire successful applicants at the conclusion of their uncompensated term. Successful applicants may not engage in the practice of law outside of the office during their uncompensated term.
Position Requirement:

Applicants must possess a J.D. degree from a law school approved by the American Bar Association and be a current, active member of the California State Bar. Successful candidates must pass a criminal background investigation including a fingerprint check.
Minimum Requirements:

No experience is required but only applicants with outstanding academic records and superior oratory and writing skills will be considered. Applicants invited for an interview will be required to submit a writing sample.
http://www.marincounty.org/depts/da/volunteer-employment-opportunities

I'm not sure if that's worse than the $7.25/hr doc review job in South Carolina or not.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 23, 2014

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Just saw this job posting, bolding mine

I'm not sure if that's worse than the $7.25/hr doc review job in South Carolina or not.

So you do the all the work of the DA for no compensation, but instead a guarantee of no-hire at the end of your term? Am I reading this right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

woozle wuzzle posted:

Too bad you can't probate them.

Come on down and I'll slip one on you :bigtran:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

So you do the all the work of the DA for no compensation, but instead a guarantee of no-hire at the end of your term? Am I reading this right?

Yep! And no working on the side either, just in case you wanted to have any money. What I like even more is that the term can go anywhere from 6 months to a year of no pay!

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

mastershakeman posted:

Yep! And no working on the side either, just in case you wanted to have any money. What I like even more is that the term can go anywhere from 6 months to a year of no pay!

I'm surprised the description doesn't say that they get to decide when you're free to leave.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Aw shucks, I googled it more and it turns out it's a posting from all the way back in 2010 per abovethelaw. Kind of funny they never took it down.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Jagchosis posted:

As for second question, I'm "Ed Delay", which is commissioning and then going to law school without funding. Don't make JAG, then have fun at the Department of the Army branching board. It is probably the worst way to go about JAG, and commissioning for that matter.

Be in excellent physical shape.
Have done something leadership related.
Have done something that demonstrates initiative.
Have good grades.
Don't be a goon.
There will be FLEPers at Harvard - they will be helpful for advice and contacts. Hopefully they can provide some intel on the local Judge Advocate Field Screening Officer who will be the first person you'll have to convince that you should be in the JAGC.
You might want to contact your local California JAFSO to find out if there are regional quotas and if that's the case, do your 3L where there are more slots. The application for JACG is due Nov 1 of 3L, so you'll need to get on the stick wherever you go.

There is no SEC work in the JAGC and precious little that will lead to your goal of big bucks - but you will have fun.

On the other hand, since the service obligation is for your ROTC time (I think) you might also get in touch with the ROTC accession folks and carefully inquire as to your chances of getting cut loose if you just say, "I don't want to play anymore" given the drawdown. I had a friend in law school who was on the same USMC JA contract I was (similar to your program, except we were guaranteed JA slots if we could pass the bar in two tries) with a 3 year obligation. With the drawdown after Desert Storm I/ the Cold War we were looking at waiting a year and a half to go to JAG school. I stuck with it, my friend asked to be relieved of his obligation and he was.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Come on down and I'll slip one on you :bigtran:

There's this thing called judicial temperament. Whenever you practice, you'll hear it a lot about potential judges when vacancies appear. A lot of the highest IQ, well-respected attorneys have no business being a judge. They lack the ability to operate with full emotional faculties while under pressure, like a defendant mutters something and the judge loses control. A good judge has the ability to command a room, but not by the pounding of a gavel (and then get slammed on appeal). They have a quality that draws respect without the position. Unfortunately, you'll find there's a lot of poo poo judges that require emotional coddling to act fairly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Are you saying that a honeypot thread is a bad or good thing?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I'm just saying that bad judges tend to lose control of themselves, get crushed on appeal, and are then intellectually dishonest about it. Depending on your state, there's not much recourse. There's no lifetime appointments outside of the supremes, but barring an ethics violation it's hard to unseat somebody. And the poo poo ones tend to enjoy the job more than the good ones, and have a backwards view of their time on the bench. I don't know if any state has it right, as systems of appointment or election just have different severe downsides.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

woozle wuzzle posted:

I'm just saying that bad judges tend to lose control of themselves, get crushed on appeal, and are then intellectually dishonest about it.

But the Federalist Society! And he's such a good writer! Etc.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Remanded on appeal? You fell right into my trap! Now I can simply rule against you on the merits!

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Alright, this is kind of a derail, but I'm interested in the law thread's response to this question.

I'm currently an undergrad at a expanding but still not noteworthy state school. I'm a dual major in political science and history, and minoring in psychology. My focus in Poli Sci is law, My GPA is on track to be 3.2 at the end of my summer session after this sophomore year, and money isn't really an issue.

Tell me why me getting my master's in something like public policy/affairs or international studies would be a better option than law school.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

CPFortest posted:

Alright, this is kind of a derail, but I'm interested in the law thread's response to this question.

I'm currently an undergrad at a expanding but still not noteworthy state school. I'm a dual major in political science and history, and minoring in psychology. My focus in Poli Sci is law, My GPA is on track to be 3.2 at the end of my summer session after this sophomore year, and money isn't really an issue.

Tell me why me getting my master's in something like public policy/affairs or international studies would be a better option than law school.

What do you actually want to do for a living once you're done with school?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Hopefully government work. If I get my master's, I would love to work for a think tank group or possibly a Foreign Services Job. If I go to Law school, My dream job would be in the federal government, doing attorney advisory or public policy work.

I'm not planning to do either immediately after I'm done with undergrad. I'm getting a paralegal certification and I hope to have at least one or two years experience of that under my belt before I act on either option.

e: I should clarify that I'm not naive about how awful law is as a field right now, but ever since my freshmen year, it's been something I've been quietly obsessed with.

e2: Apparently I'm awful at basic grammar and spelling today.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 24, 2014

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
You should really just get your bachelors before even considering law school. Who knows what the market will look like in a few years, other than probably not great. Assuming the US hasn't exploded into civil war by then, that is.

You'll also want to focus on bringing your GPA wayyyyyyy up in the next couple of years if you want to have any shot at getting into competitive grad/law schools.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

My GPA is a little low right now, but it was even lower my freshmen year before I lit a fire under my rear end and started actually putting in work. I'm under no illusions that my GPA as it stands will be good enough to get me anywhere that isn't a fast food chain job, and I'm prepared to put in the work to change that.

If the consensus is that the market will still be awful in a few years than I'll just concentrate on my dual bachelors and my paralegal training, and save thoughts about a master's or law school for a few years down the road.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Right now focus on bringing up your GPA and getting as many quality internships as possible. Both open more doors and internships will give you a much better idea of what you want to do with your life.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

CPFortest posted:

If the consensus is that the market will still be awful in a few years than I'll just concentrate on my dual bachelors and my paralegal training, and save thoughts about a master's or law school for a few years down the road.

Honestly, you should do this anyway. It sounds like law school wouldn't be in the cards for around 4 years. Get that GPA up, get some experience as a paralegal if you want it (which will do more to dissuade you from going to law school than anyone in this thread could). I would just be careful about the idea of going to law school without actually wanting to be a lawyer.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I appreciate the straight talk. Figuring out what do to after my bachelor's has been on my mind constantly in the last few months, and I just needed a somewhat neutral place to ask someone's opinion.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Probad posted:

What do you actually want to do for a living once you're done with school?

This is the big question.

The primary reason to get degrees is to get a job. It sounds like you're collecting degrees to forestall real life (which is a laudable goal). Like getting a dual degree bachelor's is just kinda... for fun? Paralegal training doesn't match any of your stated career goals, so why in the world would you seek paralegal training? You'd only do that if you literally want a job as a paralegal. That's a fine career, but I have a feeling it's not what you think it is.

Having degrees/certifications is not like a feather in your cap that opens doors, unless it's directly related to your end career. You should only go to law school if you want to be a lawyer on the other side of it.

I agree with getting internships. There's no "attorney advisory" roles for people without decades of experience. More exposure will help you get a feel for what's out there.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 24, 2014

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

I didn't mean for it to sound like I'm just collecting degrees. History has always been my strongest and most enjoyable subject since middle school, and I became obsessed with politics in high school. Honestly, I initially chose a Psych minor because it sounded good paired with those other two degrees, but I'm a semester in and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'll admit that my plans post-grad sound unclear and unfocused, and that's because they are.

Two of my friends who graduated cum laude a year ago from Chapel Hill and Duke both moved back in with their parents practically at the same last year. That honestly freaked me out about my plans for the future more than anything else, and in the last two semesters I've been grasping for plans that just sound like a good idea and nothing else.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I know it's a few days old, but I'm just glad neither my wife nor any of my close friends were in this courtroom: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57844841-78/angilau-witness-cardwell-defendant.html.csp , though I did know a number of folks who were there. It's tragic that the defendant did not survive, but I'm too emotionally close to the event to do anything other than be relieved that nobody else was injured.

So if any of you in the thread have been bailiffs, marshalls, or otherwise worked courtroom security, props to you. That's a tough job, but I'm glad it (usually) keeps things running safely and orderly.

EDIT: And CPFortest, you're in a tough spot, but almost every college student ends up there. Eventually you'll realize that what you do in the classroom is necessary, but not sufficient, to get you a job and a career. You need to get off campus and involved with things outside school to really get an idea of what you want to do and build the connections needed to get you there. Do internships, volunteer with community organizations, start projects, lobby on political issues. That'll give you enough face time and working time with people to get a sense for what you want to do. Otherwise you'll end up like the thousands of other grads who have a piece of paper, a lot of great knowledge, and no real way to put that knowledge to use.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 24, 2014

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Yer fine, being in limbo is par for the course. You're asking the right questions.

It's a shift in mind-set, where in high school you're trying to do all this poo poo because everything is supposed to make you look better. Vice-president of spanish club matters. But no employer will care about your extra stuff. Getting a paralegal degree is only good if you'll be exactly that job. With some exceptions, there's little cross-over between career training. I have a public policy degree, and all it provides me is being irritating in political conversation because I can't just say "yeah, gently caress obamacare".

Don't sweat it too much. Maybe you'll end up wanting to be a psychologist, social worker, or social security attorney. Try to get exposure to the job market, even lovely internships and low level jobs, and the path with reveal itself.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CPFortest posted:

Dear CPFortest,

You root for the same football mans that I do and post in the same nerdthreads about our football mans that I do, so I have a vested interest in your success and happiness.

Don't go to law school. Thanks in advance.

Yours in Christ,

S. Vapors, Esq.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks everyone for the advice.

It's pretty clear that I'm in that distant future mindset at a time where I need to be concerned with my plans for now and the immediate future. So for now I'll just plan for a successful undergrad, and that will help any plans I have for the future more than anything else.

also Soothing Vapors, we're gonna get crushed in our season opener.

gently caress a Hawk.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well just finished my last exam, so goodbye University of Saskatchewan. Got a job lined up and starting in May.

Now time to enjoy my bright future in family law :suicide:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Monaghan posted:

well just finished my last exam, so goodbye University of Saskatchewan. Got a job lined up and starting in May.

Now time to enjoy my bright future in family law :suicide:

Do you like Court?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CPFortest posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice.

It's pretty clear that I'm in that distant future mindset at a time where I need to be concerned with my plans for now and the immediate future. So for now I'll just plan for a successful undergrad, and that will help any plans I have for the future more than anything else.

gently caress a Hawk.

Even if you think you want to go to law school when you finish undergrad don't go right away. Do something else for at least a year or two. Ideally work at a law firm or do something law related to see what attorneying is actually like but do not go straight through. It'll be better for you and for your classmates both because you will likely be a slightly less terrible person for a couple years out of school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I am really uncomfortable with this level of self-awareness and honesty from a visitor to our thread. This isn't how it's supposed to go.

CPFortest posted:

gently caress a Hawk.
yeah :(:hf::(