Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CoolCab posted:

It's "clothes", clones makes no sense. The boys die all the time, sometimes in ways their bodies can't be recovered, and there are literally hundreds of slugs. Rusty is just too jaded and cheap to see beyond the 10$ of clothes on their back.

"Get the clones" makes plenty of sense too, considering they literally go and do that.

I'm convinced he said Clonthes, to throw us off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Frostwerks posted:

I keep seeing this and have no clue what people are talking about!

Rewatch the cold open to "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean."

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

I'M NOT HERE TO TALK TO THEM! YOU ARE THE HAND CHOSEN BY THE MASTER. YOURS IS THE VEIL OF BLOOD. YOURS IS THE SWORD OF MICHAEL.

I love that episode.

That episode was brilliant especially if you got all of the serial killer and 60s/70s weirdo references (Ted Bundy, Son of Sam, Patty Hearst, Valerie Solanas, etc).

Also:

WHO IS HECTOR MOLINA? AND WHY DO THEY KEEP SENDING ME HIS JUNK MAIL?

And:

HOT DOLPHIN!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The Walking Eye could sorta be used for good I guess.

WALKING EYE!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Clones" is the only way it works as a post-credits sting twist. :colbert:

It was supposed to leave you thinking "Wait what did he say, they were clones :tviv: " just before quitting for the season.

"Clothes" would be a weak and meaningless thing to leave the audience on. Why even bother saying it, let alone wasting the season's final post-credits stinger on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not really sure how this is a debate anymore when we have the episodes on disc (or Netflix) with captioning.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

It was supposed to leave you thinking "Wait what did he say, they were clones :tviv: " just before quitting for the season.

"Clothes" would be a weak and meaningless thing to leave the audience on. Why even bother saying it, let alone wasting the season's final post-credits stinger on it?

Are you loving kidding?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Get the clones" doesn't make sense as something to say while still at the scene of the accident, but "Get their clothes" does.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Get the clothes" is referenced later on when either Hank or Dean pulls out an ID card that looks it's been through some sort of firey explosion from his pocket.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Data Graham posted:

Because if you were watching it as it aired, the idea that it might be a one season show wasn't too far out there, and VB had already proven itself ballsy enough to end on that sort of note. Everything in the first season from Speedy's death, to the minute plus David Bowie tribute in Ghosts of the Sargasso [drawing a musical parallel here, they wouldn't waste a Times They Are a Changin soundalike for nothing], to... c'mooon why would he say 'Get their clones' when they aren't even near the compound? even though they are clones it doesn't make sense.

He says Clothes in kayfabe because the clothes were right there to get and Rusty is cheap, and out of kayfabe because we the audience didn't know if the show would continue, and the show was ballsy enough that it might kill the boys and continue anyway.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The subtitles say clothes ffs

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I believe it's "clothes" but the subtitles aren't always transcriptions from the script. Sometimes it's just some person doing it for the network based on what they hear.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
It's like it's really 2004 again :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

"Clothes" works because the stinger joke is that unlike Orpheus, who sits weeping for kids he only kind of knows, Doc is completely selfish and cynical.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously who do we seeing broken up and crying at the the intro of season 2?

Doctor O. It was pretty hilarious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's the kind of guy he is, especially since in the Season 1 finale we see that he's taken responsibility for their wellbeing. Not only is Doctor Orpheus the kind of person who'd be upset at their deaths, he's also the sort of person (as we see in later episodes) who absolutely cannot stand to fail or be outdone, and so that's eating away at him, also. Look how sad he gets when he can't shrink himself, or how desperate and just plain crazed he gets when the Outrider can move easily between dimensions and he can barely tell that other dimensions exist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CoolCab posted:

It's "clothes", clones makes no sense. The boys die all the time, sometimes in ways their bodies can't be recovered, and there are literally hundreds of slugs. Rusty is just too jaded and cheap to see beyond the 10$ of clothes on their back.
It doesn't matter if it's clones or clothes, because even though it was clothes, it SOUNDED like clones to most people who watched it.

I feel like arguing about it now is pointless. If the line was clothes, which it was, they should have had him emphasize the TH.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Data Graham posted:

Did you watch it before you saw any of season 2? Before you even knew there was going to be another season?

I maybe remember one or two people guessing that the boys might be cloned among many other crazy theories after the first season. I don't think any of them ever piped up later to say "I told you so" because the real deal wasn't really what the had in mind. I don't think I've ever heard someone argue about "clothes" who watched the first season in isolation.

There were lots of weird and short-lived adult swim shows in the early 2000s though, I don't think I questioned that they died for a second when I first watched it. Oh, the Venture Bros. was a cool show. They die at the end.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Chibs posted:

It's like it's really 2004 again :allears:

Grover Cleveland's presidential time machine sure do come in handy. :thumbsup:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ror posted:

There were lots of weird and short-lived adult swim shows in the early 2000s though, I don't think I questioned that they died for a second when I first watched it. Oh, the Venture Bros. was a cool show. They die at the end.

Yeah, it was the first and perhaps only of the great 2000-2003 half hour animated shows to make it out of season 1...or even have all of its episodes produced and aired in the US.

Clone High, Mission Hill, and Undergrads, you are the shattered hulks on which Venture Bros stands triumphant.

I take back the first and only. I just remembered Home Movies existed. And I just had Vietnam style flash backs to watching Ripping Friends and whatever the gently caress that Aeon Flux Alexander the Great Codpiece Show was

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Reign.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ror posted:

Did you watch it before you saw any of season 2? Before you even knew there was going to be another season?

Yes I did. That's why this interpretation seems to make so much sense to me.

It wasn't just me. My whole group of friends was sitting in the living room coming down off the high of what we thought was the final episode of a series that was too good to outlive the season. We were all sitting there in mingled shock and euphoria over the unceremonious deaths of the boys. We were all silent as we listened to the faux-Dylan and watched the desultory credits crawl by. And then...

"All right, get their clones."

And very one of us fell about the room in spasms of honking laughter at the amazing way in which they had taken what seemed like an irrevocable series-ending capstone scene and, in the space of three seconds, solved a slew of mysteries and set themselves up for continuation. It was the perfect coup de grace, the cartoon writing equivalent of *ollies out*. We all loved it and were instantly stoked for the possibility of a Season 2.

Later, upon rewatching, I wondered to myself whether he might have said "clothes". But I dismissed it out of hand as it seemed like such an anticlimax as to be depressing compared to what I had assumed had actually happened.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
It's clothes dummys, and here's why:

- Why would Brock 'get the clones'? He's a bodyguard not a man servant or scientist

- You wouldn't 'get the clones', you would go to where the clones are ( a lab shown later in the series )

- 'Get the clothes' works much better, because it implies there are clones.

- I just watched it and it's definitely 'get their clothes'

Go Team Sperger!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

Yes I did. That's why this interpretation seems to make so much sense to me.

It wasn't just me. My whole group of friends was sitting in the living room coming down off the high of what we thought was the final episode of a series that was too good to outlive the season. We were all sitting there in mingled shock and euphoria over the unceremonious deaths of the boys. We were all silent as we listened to the faux-Dylan and watched the desultory credits crawl by. And then...

"All right, get their clones."

And very one of us fell about the room in spasms of honking laughter at the amazing way in which they had taken what seemed like an irrevocable series-ending capstone scene and, in the space of three seconds, solved a slew of mysteries and set themselves up for continuation. It was the perfect coup de grace, the cartoon writing equivalent of *ollies out*. We all loved it and were instantly stoked for the possibility of a Season 2.

Later, upon rewatching, I wondered to myself whether he might have said "clothes". But I dismissed it out of hand as it seemed like such an anticlimax as to be depressing compared to what I had assumed had actually happened.

For the sake of gently caress you are the biggest loving idiot, it's clothes, fuckity gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, I'll take it if I gotta. It just sure seemed obvious to all of us at the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is the single engine craft discussion all over.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
This reminds me of the Breaking Bad thread where Walt said something in a deep voice off screen and we were treated to a page of IS MIKE TALKING FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE?!?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

All right, get their acquit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's the single engine craft discussion? That sounds like it would be fun to have.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:mario: WACKADOO! THEY WERE CLONES ALL ALONG! TUNE IN FOR SEASON 2 EVERYBODY, SEE YOU NEXT FALL, ZING POW! :mario:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThatPazuzu posted:

This reminds me of the Breaking Bad thread where Walt said something in a deep voice off screen and we were treated to a page of IS MIKE TALKING FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE?!?

Jesse's cigarettes! :siren: :aaaaa: :tviv:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hedrigall posted:

:mario: WACKADOO! THEY WERE CLONES ALL ALONG! TUNE IN FOR SEASON 2 EVERYBODY, SEE YOU NEXT FALL, ZING POW! :mario:

Venture Brothers as written by Dan Harmon/Justin Roiland. Speaking of, everyone should check out Rick and Morty.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sash! posted:

Yeah, it was the first and perhaps only of the great 2000-2003 half hour animated shows to make it out of season 1...or even have all of its episodes produced and aired in the US.

Clone High, Mission Hill, and Undergrads, you are the shattered hulks on which Venture Bros stands triumphant.

I take back the first and only. I just remembered Home Movies existed. And I just had Vietnam style flash backs to watching Ripping Friends and whatever the gently caress that Aeon Flux Alexander the Great Codpiece Show was

Undergrads doesn't hold up as well as the others, IMO.

I liked it in college when I was (unfortunately) basically Nitz, which is sort of the point. Every main character is a massive exaggeration of character traits, the man-whore, the nerd, and the dumb-jock. And then Nits is almost too much of the "everyman," so naturally 90% of the guy watching it identify with him.

Except he's a loving "Niceguy" loser who was *this* close to actually saying the word "friend-zone." And seeing as the character and the show were based off of the creator's life, I feel really, REALLY bad for whoever was the Kimmy stand-in.

A lot of the jokes are still hilarious, but it's hard to get past the fact that the main character is an rear end in a top hat who you know, after season 1 ended, probably became a full on MRA.

Oh, but...uhhh...Venture Brothers...that's a great show that, the first season of which, still stands the test of time. Even what I initially considered the "worst" episode of Season 1, "Careers in Science," I like a lot more now. But it definitely wasn't good as a second episode. After watching the first one, I tried to get a lot of friends to watch, so for them, the first one they say was "Careers in Science" and it's not a great one to start the series with.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Home Movies is pretty close to the perfect thing to have come from that era. It lasted for exactly the right amount of time, evolved in just the right way, hardly ever put a foot wrong, and ended satisfyingly.

Back when it was airing new or gently used I tended to fall asleep with it running in the background because they liked to run it in the 1AM-2AM block. To this day I like to cue up episodes to fall asleep to, just for old time's sake.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

prefect posted:

What's the single engine craft discussion? That sounds like it would be fun to have.

There's an episode where Dermitt is bullshitting as normal claiming he can't fly the X-1 because his pilot's license is only good for a single engine craft. Someone just swore up and down that it was cessna not craft.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's an episode where Dermitt is bullshitting as normal claiming he can't fly the X-1 because his pilot's license is only good for a single engine craft. Someone just swore up and down that it was cessna not craft.

I love this picture.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Home Movies is pretty close to the perfect thing to have come from that era. It lasted for exactly the right amount of time, evolved in just the right way, hardly ever put a foot wrong, and ended satisfyingly.

Back when it was airing new or gently used I tended to fall asleep with it running in the background because they liked to run it in the 1AM-2AM block. To this day I like to cue up episodes to fall asleep to, just for old time's sake.

Home Movies lives on through Bobs Burgers though so it's all good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

prefect posted:

I love this picture.

Ya ever wanna kick a kid's rear end...but you can't?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Undergrads doesn't hold up as well as the others, IMO.

I haven't watched Undergrads in easily 10 years just because of that exact reason. I'd rather remember it being great.

Clone High, on the other hand, is still as good as it ever was. The bizarre Stamos(!) fascination seems very retroactively forward thinking to 80s and 90s nostalgia. Plus lines like "He'd also like you to believe he's not a baby eater. But he's never gone on record saying he isn't. Maybe he's too busy eating babies!" will never not be funny.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

prefect posted:

I love this picture.

I love how Shallow Gravy Dermott was talking bout how he decked Dean and then Dean goes NO I DECKED him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

At least that one eventually ended.

It's so weird that so many of us heard cessna. I heard it, and I didn't even know that word until I didn't hear it on Venture Brothers.