Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Giggs should be shown the door for some of the things coming out now about how the players treated Moyes, especially if he's the one who heckled him from the subs bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

It's one thing that Moyes wasn't good enough, but you'll have to wonder where all this embarrassing stuff from team meetings and the dressing room is coming from now. Seems like there's a lot of campaigning to paint him as utterly incompetent to avoid any focus on other deeper lying issues at the club.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

euroboy posted:

They can't park the bus, they have to win. It's at Anfield so Mourinho will probably set up a fairly defensive side but he will probably take a few risks too.
You're assuming that they're really going for it, but I'm not sure that's the case. Mourinho is of course mind gaming like mad, but I think their main priority now is the CL. I bet they'll park the bus and try to get us on the counter, because he knows we'll try to win - and we should.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Chelsea will field a weakened team, play defensively and win 1-0 on the counter. Mourinhowned

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Taff posted:

The only other forum I read is all about wrestling.

Ancellotti is becoming more and more the guy I want

its a shame he has the biggest job in the world with a squad he doesn't need to gut eh?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

quote:

As if immediate memories of a 2-0 defeat by the worst team left in the Champions League were not enough to darken the mood on the Manchester United flight home from Athens in February, the sight of David Moyes’s reading material was enough to prompt further shaking of heads.

A management self-help guide called Good to Great was Moyes’s choice after his team’s 2-0 defeat by Olympiacos that we now know was the tipping point of the Scot’s dismal reign at Old Trafford

:(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Chelsea will field a weakened team, play defensively and win 1-0 on the counter. Mourinhowned
lol if you think you're keeping a clean sheet at Anfield with Schwartzer in goal.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

lol hes clueless

to be fair so is Woodward so it all fits

looking more and more like they'll get LvG - he only put his name into the spurs ring for that reason to be honest. I kind of hope we get Thomas Tuchel now I think he'd do well

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
We'll lose to the worse team and beat the better one.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

lol if you think you're keeping a clean sheet at Anfield with Schwartzer in goal.

He'll keep the shots out like they're a boatload of refugees

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

He'll keep the shots out like they're a boatload of refugees

Suarez is going to bite Ramires anyway

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

gently caress off Schwartzer is pure class.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Modus Trollens posted:

looking more and more like they'll get LvG - he only put his name into the spurs ring for that reason to be honest. I kind of hope we get Thomas Tuchel now I think he'd do well

The more I read about Tuchel the more I would love to see him managing Spurs. Bookies really don't seem to fancy him though, it looks like we had a look at him in December and for whatever reason thought better of it.

If the odds are anything to go by it'll be Allegri or Moyes.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

The more I read about Tuchel the more I would love to see him managing Spurs. Bookies really don't seem to fancy him though, it looks like we had a look at him in December and for whatever reason thought better of it.

If the odds are anything to go by it'll be Allegri or Moyes.

Don't really want an Italian myth tbh would rather see good attacking German football

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
United have solved their midfield crisis, according to various journalists on twitter, Paul Scholes is back on the training field at Carrington.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Modus Trollens posted:

Ramires is likely to be suspended.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Myssu posted:

Ramires is likely to be suspended.

they can appeal so he can play in the game can't they? Thought thats how it worked

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm quite upset Suarez hasn't done anything ridiculous this season

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Modus Trollens posted:

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. This whole season has been building up to Sunday when Suarez completely loses the plot and bites/punches/stabs someone and Liverpool's season collapses in a heap.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Insert Suarez/Ramires knuckle sandwich joke.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Modus Trollens posted:

they can appeal so he can play in the game can't they? Thought thats how it worked

They appeal and he'll get a longer ban.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Raffles posted:

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. This whole season has been building up to Sunday when Suarez completely loses the plot and bites/punches/stabs someone and Liverpool's season collapses in a heap.
It's like that time when Joey Barton didn't do anything too mental for a while at QPR, and had been quoting Nietzsche on Twitter or whatever, and you thought "Oh, maybe he's changed". Then suddenly he loses it on the last day of the season against Man City and completely flips his poo poo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Modus Trollens posted:

Don't really want an Italian myth tbh would rather see good attacking German football

I would quite like a caffeine fuelled not slept in two days inspirational speech from a mentalist German who gets offended if people leave the the table before him at Spurs. I would like this a lot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Not that weakened, they have a decent midfield that all can't play because of either cup tiedness or suspension. Admittedly that includes Mikel.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

They appeal and he'll get a longer ban.

might be worth it he can't play in the CL against Atletico anyway idk I'm not mourinho

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My mate who works for the Times is telling me that Chelsea are indeed considering an appeal. They know that if they appeal, he'll most likely get a longer ban but he'll also be able to play against Liverpool. If they don't appeal, the ban will probably be 4 matches but he won't be able to play against Liverpool. So they're thinking about it and will make a decision soon.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not that weakened, they have a decent midfield that all can't play because of either cup tiedness or suspension. Admittedly that includes Mikel.

Mikel Lampard Matic Salah and possibly Ramires its nothing to sniff at

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Steve Evets posted:

This season has been like a more expensive version of 2002. Back then it was us, Liverpool, Man United and Newcastle at the top for most of it. I think even Leeds weren't miles off the pace. IIRC the top 4 were separated by like 4 or 5 points in late March. Then Arsenal decided they had enough of that nonsense and just won the last 10 or 12 matches, sort of like Liverpool now.

We were top for basically the entire season until Christmas where we bottled it and it all fell apart

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Xabi posted:

My mate who works for the Times is telling me that Chelsea are indeed considering an appeal. They know that if they appeal, he'll most likely get a longer ban but he'll also be able to play against Liverpool. If they don't appeal, the ban will probably be 4 matches but he won't be able to play against Liverpool. So they're thinking about it and will make a decision soon.

Would love to see them do this and for the FA to punish them further for being that blatantly obvious about it. 4 matches + another 4 for being shites.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Would love to see them do this and for the FA to punish them further for being that blatantly obvious about it. 4 matches + another 4 for being shites.

Chelsea wouldn't be the first team to make a tactical appeal

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Chelsea wouldn't be the first team to make a tactical appeal

didn't Liverpool do it when Suarez was a racist lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Good news everyone - the Soccernomics guys have waded into the debate and have decided that the key determinant for a club's league position is... http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e1e6e5d8-ca14-11e3-ac05-00144feabdc0.html

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Burqa King posted:

Good news everyone - the Soccernomics guys have waded into the debate and have decided that the key determinant for a club's league position is... http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e1e6e5d8-ca14-11e3-ac05-00144feabdc0.html

yeah I read this yesterday I was agreeing and then it got real loving weird

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What's so weird about it? A bit contradictory but a fascinating metric. Does anyone have a table of manager salaries?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TelekineticBear! posted:

We were top for basically the entire season until Christmas where we bottled it and it all fell apart

That's not really the entire season then is it?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Ravel posted:

I'm quite upset Suarez hasn't done anything ridiculous this season

idk he scored a ridiculous number of goals

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

pik_d posted:

That's not really the entire season then is it?

well the entire season up until christmas is the entire season up to that point

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Burqa King posted:

Football players are robots that play at 100% capacity every game and don't require any motivation.

All success is tied to money spent except in the cases where it can be described as over-achievement with no explanation.

That article seems to alternate between stating the obvious and handwaving anything that contradicts it.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Stotty posted:

Football players are robots that play at 100% capacity every game and don't require any motivation.

All success is tied to money spent except in the cases where it can be described as over-achievement with no explanation.

That article seems to alternate between stating the obvious and handwaving anything that contradicts it.

ugh let me show you this graph of utility functions with inter temporal time constraints you obviously didn't take the derivative of marginal utility you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Stotty posted:

Imagine that extended to book form, and you've got Soccernomics.

• Locked thread