Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, it was recommended to me a while ago and has been sitting on my bookshelf.

Having read about 75 pages, this thing is going to have to get a whole lot less dry for me to survive another 800. I feel like I'm interested enough in the plot already to keep going, but lord is this going to be a slow burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I caved in and bought The Dispossessed by Le Guin as well, so I can read it sooner rather than later. I'll have to see how it goes, once it gets here!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Just started The Shipping News. I've been on a Pulitzer kick lately, also read Interpreter of Maladies and The Goldfinch.

charsiu
Mar 10, 2012
Just started The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go so I have hopes for this one.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

charsiu posted:

Just started The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go so I have hopes for this one.

He just announced he's got a new novel coming next March called The Buried Giant. It'll be his first since Never Let Me Go. I'm pretty excited, Never Let Me Go is one of my favorite books.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've got two books I'm reading at the moment, one I bought for cheap and another I borrowed from a friend. The first is The Book of Years, Volume 1 by Peter Morwood. Looked pretty neat so I'm hopeful. The second book is Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold. My friend really likes the Vorkosigan Saga and let me borrow the book to see what I think of it. I've been on a sci-fi kick lately, so I think I should enjoy it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Started the latest volume of Robert Caro's LBJ biography, Passage of Power the other day. I'm enjoying it so far, especially when he gets into backroom dealing at the 1960 Democratic convention.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just started Day of the Flood.

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, just looked The Dispossessed up then, and seems interesting. So, what books do you think it's similar to/compare it to, just so I can get a better grasp on what it's like? (As well as other sci-fi books too, like how would you compare it with Dune, for example?)

I really can't think of anything specifically to relate The Dispossessed to. It's its own monster.

Just started Foucalt's Pendulum. I think I like it so far, but sometimes I feel like I need a glossary of alchemical terms to understand it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Started Donald Harington's The Cockroaches of Stay More last night. It was a total blind buy, but I'm enjoying it so far: a witty look a small Ozark town that's made of self-aware, religious cockroaches.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I got stuck on a train this morning for four hours, which let me progress halfway through N.K. Jemisin's "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms". I haven't read any fantasy in a while but this one caught my eye and it's really not bad....actually pretty good albeit with workman-like prose. It does make me wish for a fantasy series in which the protagonist is not a Chosen One, but other than that, the premise is original and interesting, and the author endears me to him/her by skipping a lot of the usual "fantasy nonsense word for a normal earth word" business and straight up says things like "ladies' room" and "bananas". Here's a link to the synopsis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hundred_Thousand_Kingdoms

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 2, 2014

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Well, I caved in and bought The Dispossessed by Le Guin as well, so I can read it sooner rather than later. I'll have to see how it goes, once it gets here!

All of you currently reading this book are in for a treat-- it's The Best Book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ezzum posted:

Just started Foucalt's Pendulum. I think I like it so far, but

This describes my relationship with every Eco book I've read.

poliander
Oct 31, 2013
Bought the last Robert Jordan book from Wheel of Time. I can not even remember anymore what number it is ... 13, 14 .... who knows anymore.
BUT, apparently it is the last one and i have been trying very hard since book 8 or so to finish the series for the sake of finishing it if nothing else.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
World War Z. I like a lot of post apocalyptic fiction (Riddley Walker, I am Legend, Alas Babylon, etc) but don't normally read anything from the fedora canon. But I'll give anything a chance.

About half way through, I don't like it overall. A lot of the in-character writing isn't convincing, it's quite hamfisted in its social commentary. Between the two it comes off as kind of patronising.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stavrogin posted:

All of you currently reading this book are in for a treat-- it's The Best Book.

Huzzah, my copy of The Dispossessed finally arrived today!

Albeit a bit late and slightly worse-for-wear than advertised, but can't have everything

Now, time to see what all the fuss is about! :dance:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a few chapters into Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. My girlfriend gave it and the sequel to me as a gift because she knows I'm a history buff and have been on a WWI kick lately.

The perspective of what it was like for the common man at the turn of the century is a refreshing change of pace from the politics and high level strategy or even the view from the trenches, but there is a surprising amount of sex in the books (I thought Turtledove was bad!) and it's getting a little tiresome to read about Victorian breasts and Tsarist trysts so often.

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014
A friend of mine has lent me all the books (so far) of A Song of Ice and Fire. I already know SO MANY spoilers though so I'm not sure if it's worth finishing them. I've been watching the TV series and it's getting pretty interesting, and my friend says there are way more things that happen than the spoilers I already know. I kind of want to finish them just so I don't accidentally stumble upon even bigger things and ruin them even more.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014
I started David Benioff's City of Thieves a day ago. I've never read The 25th Hour , but if I like this I might pick that up too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I finished all of Robert Caro's LBJ books to I ordered a copy of The Power Broker today, plus copies of T. Harry Williams' biography of Huey Long and Oakley Hall's novel Warlock. Looking forward to all three!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Started on Infinite Jest last night.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Started A Storm of Swords earlier this week, but am getting the GRRM burnout, so I started Abercrombie's The Blade Itself last night. Only about 20 pages in, but I'm pretty intrigued!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Fault in Our Stars.

It's not good.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Just read The Troop by Nick Cutter based on people mentioning it in the Stephen King thread, and enjoyed it. Lord of the Flies turned gross-out body horror.

Looking back, it read like a novel King could have written in two months in the 80s, if he was feeling in a particularly gross-out mood, and wasn't especially inspired on the character front (which is actually what makes it *unlike* King--King always has characters). But we don't have a lot of people writing like King in ANY way these days, so yeah, not terrible.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
About to start on Night Film, knowing very little about it besides a friend of mine saying it's good. Something without footnotes will be nice though, having just finished House of Leaves.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Just started "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany" by William Shirer.

Its a big book but then again I'm a big man.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

oldpainless posted:

Just started "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany" by William Shirer.

Its a big book but then again I'm a big man.

I just got my copy of that in the mail. It's sitting on the bookshelf waiting for when I finish my current book. I am afeared.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?

Acquire Currency! posted:

The Fault in Our Stars.

It's not good.

Oh, hey!

I can't decide if I want to actually finish said book (admittedly that would take much less time than most of the books I try to read) so that my friends have less room to complain to me that I'm being "unfair" to it, like I supposedly was with The Book Thief, or if I should just move on to something better (like my third attempt at Blood Meridian), having just come off of a book by an actual good living writer (William Gass).

All Nines fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 20, 2014

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
I just started Storm of Swords, which I had hoped to get to before anything was spoiled. Missed it by a few months. Hopefully this will be engaging enough that I'll want to plow right into the next one.

I am also about a third of the way into Blood Meridian, which is like looking at a nice painting of the desert, and occasionally looking at a picture of a dead body.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Wyatt posted:

I just started Storm of Swords, which I had hoped to get to before anything was spoiled. Missed it by a few months. Hopefully this will be engaging enough that I'll want to plow right into the next one.

I'm about halfway through ASoS, and it's a lot more engaging to me than A Clash of Kings. A lot more "stuff" happening, as opposed to setup and piece-positioning.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

To me the odd books in the series seem to pay off what the even books build up.

Ezzum
Mar 13, 2014

For Now
The Way Through Doors by Jesse Ball.

I like the structure in some ways, and the sentences are some of the best-crafted and lyrical that I've ever read.

But it doesn't have page numbers.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

QPZIL posted:

I'm about halfway through ASoS, and it's a lot more engaging to me than A Clash of Kings. A lot more "stuff" happening, as opposed to setup and piece-positioning.

Just wait, the next book will make you hate everything about the series. I seriously do not get why A Feast For Crows had to be so bad but it was like pulling teeth for me. I didn't even continue with the series. I'll just watch it on HBO :smuggo:.

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014
Started Less Than Zero I'm not that far in and I'm not liking it as much as I wanted. Maybe it get's better after the first 60 pages?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Das_Bass posted:

Started Less Than Zero I'm not that far in and I'm not liking it as much as I wanted. Maybe it get's better after the first 60 pages?

It never got good for me. I finished it, mostly because I loved American Psycho and figured it would improve. It ends up being a weak update of The Sun Also Rises.

Shoreleave
Jun 6, 2008
Just started The Rangers Apprentice. I am a big boy now!

Das_Bass
Feb 11, 2014

Wyatt posted:

It never got good for me. I finished it, mostly because I loved American Psycho and figured it would improve. It ends up being a weak update of The Sun Also Rises.

drat shame. I was told it was pretty good too.

dumb crambo
May 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I recently started reading Rob Delaney's book (which is guess is titled Rob Delaney?) and I'm about halfway through, and I think it's pretty good.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. Stan Lee really comes across as a douche in this.

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
Reading Game of Thrones! I haven't seen the shows either, so it's been pretty good.

• Locked thread