Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

SpaceLion posted:

Sudden death was set to turn 7 and we didn't even make it there. He eliminated enough of my guys to trigger surrender on turn 6. We were definitely moving the time step when either of us went through our deck or if there was a "Time" trigger. There isn't anything about reducing your deck size is there?

To be fair; I've played games that should of gone on for 2 hours, maybe 3 at most, that went to six hours. Yes, you really can reduce that time by a lot, especially if this is one of your first games of this kind. If you have your pieces sorted well enough and know the rules, the game will probably cut down to half that time next play I'd wager.

And be sure not to be too analysis-paralysis with your play :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah when I first started with Combat Commander my buddy and I gave up on Hedgerows and Hand Grenades because we had no idea how to effectively attack in that scenario. I can't remember how long it dragged but it felt interminable.

A good bit of advice that also keeps the game flowing at a reasonable pace is that if you have fewer playable orders than your order limit, discard. Never discard one or two cards to set up a perfect hand.

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks, both bits of advice, I'm sure, will help. There was a fair bit of over-thinking the right move on both our parts, as I think we were both feeling the mechanics and didn't want to risk our units too much. Also, I definitely held onto too many cards. If we play again, I'll post what the difference ends up being :)

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
It's difficult for me, at the moment, to get time to play something in real time. Vassal supports play by email doesn't it? Would there be any interest in playing something in that format from anybody?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

It's difficult for me, at the moment, to get time to play something in real time. Vassal supports play by email doesn't it? Would there be any interest in playing something in that format from anybody?
I might be interested depending on what game, have anything in mind?

I just got CC:Med, can't wait to play as the Italians and be absolutely useless :getin:

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Nothing in mind really, I'm happy to try anything. If there's something you're particularly keen for I can look into it.

I am a bit more into Napoleonics than anything else at the moment though.

It's partly a matter of what will work better via email as well I guess. Something that has heavy player interaction during turns will go a lot slower.

Red Winter was another interesting looking game that I know has a module.

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 24, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't mind teaching you to play Red Winter, maybe when I'm on strange shift at work we can get something done.

I've continued to play Totaler Krieg, currently the situation is that I'm being invaded in Italy and since I didn't know of the existence of Operation Avalanche (a card that removes all of the troops of a minor country if certain conditions are met), things aren't looking good. I'm hoping that I will be able to hit no retreat while I'm still at 2 VP. We'll need to finish the game next weekend because otherwise I need to start clearing stuff up unfortunately, my table has been unavailable for more than a month now.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone played Labyrinth: the war on terror? It's on my wish list but I haven't played any crunchy war games yet so...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone played Labyrinth: the war on terror? It's on my wish list but I haven't played any crunchy war games yet so...
I've played it and I hate it, it attempts to do unsymmetrical warfare by having one side just roll dice to do anything (but the other still needs to roll in order to do the only thing which pushes it towards victory), the deck mechanism isn't well thought out, there are some actions which are just plain bad to do (and some that seem too strong). With the COIN series being available, I would never go back to playing it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ropes4u posted:

it sucks, play a COIN game instead. Same designer and he obviously learned some good lessons from the pile that is labyrinth.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

andrew smash posted:

it sucks, play a COIN game instead. Same designer and he obviously learned some good lessons from the pile that is labyrinth.
Having tried the AIs on various COIN games, I can still say that playing COIN with AI is still better than playing Labyrinth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

Having tried the AIs on various COIN games, I can still say that playing COIN with AI is still better than playing Labyrinth.

You mean artificial intelligence? Care to share? I googled "coin game ai" and it just lead me to a Bitcoin variant

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Which COIN game would you recommend for a newbie?

Andean Abyss or A distant Plain look good..

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

You mean artificial intelligence? Care to share? I googled "coin game ai" and it just lead me to a Bitcoin variant
All of the game come with dummies that you can use to sub in if you don't have 4 players. They are actually pretty good for being dummies.

I would recommend Cuba Libre as a start because the full game of it is the shortest and it is also slightly more random, which averages out the player skill I guess. ADP is the best one of the lot but also the more difficult one to play.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

All of the game come with dummies that you can use to sub in if you don't have 4 players. They are actually pretty good for being dummies.

I would recommend Cuba Libre as a start because the full game of it is the shortest and it is also slightly more random, which averages out the player skill I guess. ADP is the best one of the lot but also the more difficult one to play.

Thank you!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hey look at what has just entered the P500 at GMT

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I was about to say I already have Pursuit of Glory, and thanks for the recommendation, and now seeing this is just awesome.

Tekopo posted:

WWI seems to either have Paths of Glory/Pursuit of Glory, or really high-details stuff like 1914: Offensive a Outrance (sp).

Any idea how 1914:O&O is? I'm not too big into Hex and Counter but I'd give it a shot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I was about to say I already have Pursuit of Glory, and thanks for the recommendation, and now seeing this is just awesome.

Any idea how 1914:O&O is? I'm not too big into Hex and Counter but I'd give it a shot.
No idea really, but it is in the class of 'monster game' so I don't know how approachable it really is: probably not very. I'm excited about Illusions of Glory, because I always thought that Paths of Glory had too big a scope and the smaller theaters suffered because you didn't want to waste your Operations in them. I like the smaller focus of Pursuit of Glory so Illusions seems like a good step forward.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hey tekopo, I saw you briefly defend realignment in twilight struggle in the board game thread. Would you be willing to go into a little more detail about them here?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Hey tekopo, I saw you briefly defend realignment in twilight struggle in the board game thread. Would you be willing to go into a little more detail about them here?
Errr sure. Realignment opportunities either come out of a particular card-play (playing Castro and using the ops to realign cuba is risky but can be useful for the US, Bring down this wall is incredible to get Russia out of France etc.), or out of deliberate encroachment of enemy countries. Although the former is easy to explain (it's just the opportunity cost of using those cards in the described manner), the latter is more difficult to visualise.

Realignment suffer as a means of taking over countries because usually the player you used it on will simply dump more influence in the country you are trying to take over. Unless somehow you manage to get two turns in a row or have created enough fires in other areas, the opposing player will always prevent you from realigning and then placing your own influence in a country if he values the country enough. This leaves only two situations in which realignments are useful.

1. Realignment as a mean of controlling a country: say you have a country that is controlled by your enemy, but you have enough influence in it to control the country if the enemy influence wasn't there. I would never do this option unless I had at least a +2/+3 bonus, and that requires you to control AT LEAST 3/4 countries surrounding the enemy country, which is incredibly rare. Otherwise you risk losing your own influence, which is just a waste of resources.

2. Realigning to limit movement. This is the real functionality of realignments and is especially useful in South America, but can be used effectively in Central America and africa as well. Since cards to get into South America are limited, especially for the USSR, it is possible to completely prevent someone entering the continent by surrounding any infiltrations and realigning them out before they can spread. Usually you want to just coup somewhere but if defcon is 2 and the country is a battleground, this isn't possible. This is where realignment comes in. This is also effective in south africa by controlling botswana/angola (which are the lynchpins). Really, the entire fight in Africa is controlled by how effectively you can coup/counter-coup and realign battlegrounds.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tekopo posted:

No idea really, but it is in the class of 'monster game' so I don't know how approachable it really is: probably not very. I'm excited about Illusions of Glory, because I always thought that Paths of Glory had too big a scope and the smaller theaters suffered because you didn't want to waste your Operations in them. I like the smaller focus of Pursuit of Glory so Illusions seems like a good step forward.

It's always tough to get the monster games to the table, hell I can barley get ADP on the table with my group, it's makes a few people uncomfortable since it's a very recent conflict, so that's been a lot of Cuba Libre, but there is some excitement for Fire in the Lake.

I rather liked the strategic level of Paths of Glory, though I only have gotten that on the table once, I have to review the rules and try and get it in.

I love the idea of Illusions, since the Eastern Front (and I'm assuming Allied intervention in the the revolution/civil war) gets so little attention when talking about World War One.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Ok, so I'm looking to buy a Hex wargame to start playing with my friend, now that our gaming group has mostly found itself otherwise occupied. I'll admit my experience with this type of wargame is limited to a single game of Axis and Allies back in high school, so I'm looking for something with a fairly "light" learning curve, so that I don't overwhelm either of us. My friend is a huge history buff, so I figure any game with even a little historical accuracy will be a hit.

From reading the OP, I really like the way Conflict of Heroes sounds. Any pointers on which game within that series is worth picking up as a first buy? Or for that matter any "better" starter games? Any suggestions or tips for running it for the first time?

Edit: And if anyone can suggest any really good solitary boardgames, I've been meaning to try out that particular genre for quite a while as well.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 10, 2014

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
If you're interested in the theme of CoH I'd say it's a good place to start. Within the series I'd just go for whichever game covers the battles you're most interested in. Storms of Steel is more armor-oriented, Awakening the Bear is more infantry. If you go AtB try to get one of the later printings, the ruleset has been updated since the original printing. Guadalcanal was supposed to add a bunch of stuff (night battles etc) and ramp up the complexity a bit but I have no idea if that'll ever come out, Academy's release schedule is pretty messed up at this point.

As far as running it the first time, I'd just go along with the programmatic booklet, it's a pretty good way of getting started. The first battle or two are going to be on the boring side, so if you're feeling good about the rules maybe skip ahead, but my guess is you'll want to follow the programmatic learning curve pretty closely.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Trip report: Played Guns of Gettysburg, as the Union. I moved the objectives maybe half a dozen times, moving the main one back through the town right up Cemetery Ridge. The Confederate player ended up sending multiple charges up Cemetery Ridge, achieving the high watermark of the Confederacy. Second charge was, indeed, the late-arriving Pickett. Repulsed them both times on my next attack. He conceded early on the 3rd day when his artillery was no longer able to make such charges.

I'm still not sure just how much I like the game; I know it's quite good, and I want to play it some more, but the rules and attack flow simply don't work as well in my mind as Napoleon's Triumph. This was my first full play, though, and I definitely won't judge it until I get maybe two more, at least one from the CSA side.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
If anybody is on the fence about Combat Commander or is looking to know more about it before buying it, this video here just completely sold me on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYh8_0fCmQE

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

quote:

Edit: And if anyone can suggest any really good solitary boardgames, I've been meaning to try out that particular genre for quite a while as well.

I think Navajo Wars is the best solitaire that I've played this year. The Hunters is interesting but isn't much of game, really. I also really like Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, it's probably the better game from that particular line of DVG games.

I really want to give GoG another try: I do kind of like it and I feel like with the Union I play way too passively: being aggressive at the right times seems to be quite important, although it can lead you to enter traps if you aren't careful. My favourite moment in the game is when you reveal units at the end: it always ends up with both players playing 'Wow, I thought you were in a much better shape'.

I just CC:Med: the Italian, French and Commonwealth units should provide an interesting addition to the game. I wish I could get a smallish tournament of this going, but finding players is difficult.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I just bought Navajo Wars and it's a pretty good solitaire game. I don't have a ton of wargaming experience; however, once I went through the playbook and started actually playing the game I was exposed to an elegant board game AI system that really seemed to work against me in a proper way. The Spanish are assholes and as the Navajo I tried to just stay alive; however, I had a Pueblo Revolt too early I think and it became difficult to come back from.

I had to clear the table for guests so I restarted a game on Vassal. The designer really did a good job putting the game on Vassal.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Which is a better as a solo game Andean Abyss or Navajo Wars?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The one explicitly designed as a solo game? :v:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The one explicitly designed as a solo game? :v:

Just checking cause - in between sessions for a class I am teaching and bored

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

sonatinas posted:

I just bought Navajo Wars and it's a pretty good solitaire game. I don't have a ton of wargaming experience; however, once I went through the playbook and started actually playing the game I was exposed to an elegant board game AI system that really seemed to work against me in a proper way. The Spanish are assholes and as the Navajo I tried to just stay alive; however, I had a Pueblo Revolt too early I think and it became difficult to come back from.

I had to clear the table for guests so I restarted a game on Vassal. The designer really did a good job putting the game on Vassal.

Yeah he did the COIN series Vassal modules too, which work really great for the most part

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played three war games in the long weekend that just passed: A Distant Plain, Maria and No Retreat 2 (the Crete scenario). ADP was alright but one of the players just lost interested about 3 quarters of the way through and kept both being annoyed when anyone took any time to do anything at all, while at the same time leaving the table to look at people play at other tables/chatting to people even when it was his turn. I asked him about 3-4 times if he wanted to call it quits and with him saying 'nah, let's just keep going' before he finally admitted that he wanted to end the game. The other newbie on the table had fun but felt the game took too long. Going to have to get Cuba Libre on the table I think.

Maria was awesome, relatively easy to play once past the rules, but extremely swingy. We played two games of it, which both ended on an Austrian collapse after a battle didn't go their way. Will need to try this again since I liked it a lot, and the political aspect of the game is pretty cool as well.

Crete was okay but has a lot of rule bloat for what is supposed to be an 'easy' scenario. We played it at 11pm so that might not have helped and did about 5 turns before calling it quits. Interesting game, though.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Played three war games in the long weekend that just passed: A Distant Plain, Maria and No Retreat 2 (the Crete scenario). ADP was alright but one of the players just lost interested about 3 quarters of the way through and kept both being annoyed when anyone took any time to do anything at all, while at the same time leaving the table to look at people play at other tables/chatting to people even when it was his turn. I asked him about 3-4 times if he wanted to call it quits and with him saying 'nah, let's just keep going' before he finally admitted that he wanted to end the game. The other newbie on the table had fun but felt the game took too long. Going to have to get Cuba Libre on the table I think.
Poor Tom :p

quote:

Maria was awesome, relatively easy to play once past the rules, but extremely swingy. We played two games of it, which both ended on an Austrian collapse after a battle didn't go their way. Will need to try this again since I liked it a lot, and the political aspect of the game is pretty cool as well.
Yeah, I think the Austrians really need to play a very good delaying game, and they are horifically punished for mistakes. The game has a very intersting balance and I'd love to give it another go.

quote:

Crete was okay but has a lot of rule bloat for what is supposed to be an 'easy' scenario. We played it at 11pm so that might not have helped and did about 5 turns before calling it quits. Interesting game, though.

Yeah, next time I think it'd be better to try out one of the North African scenarios. Looking back at No retreat, it definitel was interesting and something I'd probably try again. It think I might actually want to try the original first, just because it seems the easiest to understand.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Never thought you'd muster up the :10bux:

Also you are crazy for even bringing Blitzkrieg Legend (but I do want to have a game of it).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Man, I think I am pretty bad at Navajo Wars. Already on the 3rd card in the fist scenario I have three red cubes out and a Mission on the first space next to Santa Fe. How the hell can I even get out of this hole before the Pubelo Revolt just kills me?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SU&SD has a "how to intro to wargames" article up. Pretty much just "here's some examples from some subgenres, but really, it's a kind of stupid question".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

SU&SD has a "how to intro to wargames" article up. Pretty much just "here's some examples from some subgenres, but really, it's a kind of stupid question".
The recommendations in the article are all present in the different 'beginner' choices for the different sub-genres given in the OP :v:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Never thought you'd muster up the :10bux:

Also you are crazy for even bringing Blitzkrieg Legend (but I do want to have a game of it).

I had a couple of spare quid lying around.

I think we'll have to do a small scenario (Sedan) to learn the rules then follow it up with the campaign soon afterwards so we don't forget the rules.

I might event want to get Reluctant Enemies first, because that's suposed to be the best way to get into it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

The recommendations in the article are all present in the different 'beginner' choices for the different sub-genres given in the OP :v:

Proof that they read this thr...okay maybe not.

Oh in other news, which is a bit old by now, Bowen Simmons is now Rachel Simmons, though she's using Bowen as a brand still since it's the website and BGG designer page and such. Will this signal a return to design and STAVKA and more? No one knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

tomdidiot posted:

Yeah, I think the Austrians really need to play a very good delaying game, and they are horifically punished for mistakes. The game has a very intersting balance and I'd love to give it another go.

The Austrians need a larger starting hand imo, I've yet to see them win.