Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah at least put a disc lock on it to deter joy riders.
The Blast was never sold here but some dealer just imported 4 of them, and has priced them at around $3000, good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cheapest Blast I've ever seen in NZ sold for $3700. People are idiots.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Baller Witness Bro posted:

No one is going to steal a buell blast.
So not true. People steal the most worthless poo poo. We've had customers asking if we can keep an eye out for their stolen 50cc chinese scooters, usually ones that were beat to poo poo and barely ran already.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a friend who once owned a clapped out 1988 mazda familia wagon diesel. It had three different coloured body panels and every time you stopped to idle at a light the crank case ventilation would get overwhelmed and alarming -yet harmless- smoke would pour out from under the bonnet. 100km/h was the absolute top speed and it looked like a pile of poo poo.

Someone stole it from in front of his house, in a middle class suburban neighbourhood, in broad daylight.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The easier something is to steal the higher chances that someone will steal it.

So old cars with no anti-theft measures tend to get stolen most because they're easy for some junkie to break in and hotwire and joyride around for a few days before dumping it. That's why most stolen cars also eventually get recovered, though usually not in a good condition. 90s Hondas are some of the most stolen cars since they have practically zero security and they're common as hell so they don't stand out.

Professional thieves that steal high end cars are a lot rarer and they are the ones that you'll never get your poo poo back from because by the time you even realize it's gone it's been chopped up or smuggled out of the country.

Unfortunately it seems that professional motorcycle thievery is a lot more common, particularly recent-year supersports. Bikes are easy targets for 'professional' thieves since two strong dudes and a van can make a bike disappear drat quick. And you'll never get it back. But I really doubt a professional thief is going to steal a Buell Blast.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

But I really doubt a professional thief is going to steal a Buell Blast.

This is true. I'd be more worried about someone vandalizing it for fun over a theft. There was a thread in here a while back of a goon who had their ninja 500 set on fire for no reason, right outside their apartment in the street. Stick a big chain on that Buell and just hope no one stabs the seat or pushes it over.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm not entirely convinced any normal person could find the blast that's been burned out of a lineup of pristine ones.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The ruined one will vibrate less.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I have a friend who once owned a clapped out 1988 mazda familia wagon diesel. It had three different coloured body panels and every time you stopped to idle at a light the crank case ventilation would get overwhelmed and alarming -yet harmless- smoke would pour out from under the bonnet. 100km/h was the absolute top speed and it looked like a pile of poo poo.

Someone stole it from in front of his house, in a middle class suburban neighbourhood, in broad daylight.

A friend parked their car outside their house in Papakura, and it was broken into just so the thief could take one of these:

The only thing missing was this lovely rear end deodorant. We couldn't believe it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It being Papakura I can believe it. I once had my car broken into and all they took was the keys to my house. When the car was parked at bethels beach.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Someone broke the passenger side window of my friends car, in the middle of the day inside a parking garage, to steal half a pack of chewing gum and two empty jewel cases.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

When I was a kid someone broke into my dad's car (to be fair it was unlocked), and left money and a kicking rad hotwheel. Nothing missing!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One more derail post.

A couple of years ago, my parents moved to Australia. Prior to moving, my old man had to sell his 1972 Mercedes. He's a panel-beater so this car was completely perfect. One night he left it parked by the side of the road instead of in the garage; the next morning some kind soul had come along and smashed every window on the driver's side. Nothing was taken, nothing else damaged, just the shattered windows for the gently caress of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slavvy posted:

He's a panel-beater so this car was completely perfect.
What is that? Sheet metal worker? Autobody?
Vandal fuckheads annoy the hell out of me. Special place in hell for them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

One more derail post.

A couple of years ago, my parents moved to Australia. Prior to moving, my old man had to sell his 1972 Mercedes. He's a panel-beater so this car was completely perfect. One night he left it parked by the side of the road instead of in the garage; the next morning some kind soul had come along and smashed every window on the driver's side. Nothing was taken, nothing else damaged, just the shattered windows for the gently caress of it.

When I lived in Phoenix, I was walking home one night and heard a cracking/smashing sound from up ahead. As I turned the corner I saw two teenagers walking down the street and doing crappy flying kicks at the side mirrors of every single car they passed. They'd hit at least ten of them in a row. I called the police but as soon as they saw me on my phone at the other end of the street they took off into an alleyway.

Assholes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

slidebite posted:

What is that? Sheet metal worker? Autobody?
Vandal fuckheads annoy the hell out of me. Special place in hell for them.

Guy who does sheet metal/body repair, typically with hammers rather than bondo. Paintless dent removal in the states.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

When I lived in Phoenix, I was walking home one night and heard a cracking/smashing sound from up ahead. As I turned the corner I saw two teenagers walking down the street and doing crappy flying kicks at the side mirrors of every single car they passed. They'd hit at least ten of them in a row. I called the police but as soon as they saw me on my phone at the other end of the street they took off into an alleyway.

Assholes.

Follow them and then stand your ground?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Guy who does sheet metal/body repair, typically with hammers rather than bondo. Paintless dent removal in the states.

Haha excellent!

In this case a guy who pretty much sculps panels from barely anything, like you would repairing a car you can't get spares for, or restoring a body so rusted you're putting in more new metal than old.

I had a friend (long story) write off my father's 96 prelude by reversing it down a 40ft gorge. The floorpan had ripples and the entire right hand side was obliterated. Like a month later the car was indistinguishable from before.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Buy a brembo mc to replace the stock one.

Seriously considering this. Are banjo bolts and hose fittings generally compatible across brands?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tzam posted:

Seriously considering this. Are banjo bolts and hose fittings generally compatible across brands?

IIRC there are only two banjo bolt thread pitches across japanese brands. Only one diameter handlebar. Only 3-odd OEM brands besides brembo.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
New-to-me ninja 500, the PO only had key copies, no originals. The keys work in the ignition just fine, but trying to lock the forks or unlock the seat proves futile. The tumbler just doesn't turn at all.

Spent a good 20 minutes just playing around with the forks and trying to get the tumbler to catch, but it's not cooperating.

Also noticed that one of the keys is pretty significantly twisted, like the PO was doing this exact thing and also failing.

Any suggestions?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Get new original ones from a dealership, who has an account on http://www.kawasakikeys.com/ ?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dreggory posted:

New-to-me ninja 500, the PO only had key copies, no originals. The keys work in the ignition just fine, but trying to lock the forks or unlock the seat proves futile. The tumbler just doesn't turn at all.

Spent a good 20 minutes just playing around with the forks and trying to get the tumbler to catch, but it's not cooperating.

Also noticed that one of the keys is pretty significantly twisted, like the PO was doing this exact thing and also failing.

Any suggestions?

Usually you have to have the bars at full lock already, and push the key farther in to pass the detent on the cylinder to get it to turn.

tzam posted:

Generally they can be made to work, yes. Only thing that could catch you out is brembo uses a smaller thread pitch on their banjo bolts. You can easily source dual or single banjos with the brembo threading online though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I've been reading this thread for a while and a lot of this discussion has gone over my head. I know the basic parts of my bike (engine, wheels, go-stick, stop-stick, and gas-hole), but if I really want to learn more what would you all recommend? Should I just read the DRZ forums more, is there a book (besides the owner's manual) that I should buy, or maybe even a selection of beginner friendly youtube videos(don't suggest Ichiban Moto)?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I learned most of what I know by just reading cycle asylum (other bike forums are terrible, except maybe ADVrider). You just naturally learn over time that way, maybe occasionally by googling a term you don't know. Doing your own maintenance helps. I've only ever read that one motorcycle book, Proficient Motorcycling, but that was about technique.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get a service manual for your bike and do as much service as you can yourself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Get a service manual for your bike and do as much service as you can yourself.

That's been the plan, but at the moment I can't even ride the bike much less work on it. (MRI for my back is on Saturday. :smith:)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just got my first bike last year and have done most of the maintenance myself. I got a shop to do the valve clearance and carb sync as that felt a bit over my head. The rest I've done myself. I'll never change my own tires again though, that was a bit too much effort vs shop cost without a proper rim holder thingy(and a balancing machine). Haynes manuals rocks, but any time estimates goes right out the window when you got properly rusted rear brake bolts ignored for 10 years by previous owners. Had to wait for replacement bolt by mail + use a dremel to cut the old one.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be a new mechanic and expect to use the bike as primary transport. At least on an old not 100% maintained bike, as things easily escalates. If it's no hassle that it's out of commission for a day or two it's no worries.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you plan on getting serious about working on your bike, 80-90% of doing the job right is having the right tools. Expect to spend quite a lot building your tool collection. 6 point sockets across all sizes, assorted wrenches, different length screwdrivers, magnets on a stick, mirrors, breaker bars, on and on and on. The upside to working on motorcycles is they're smaller and more mangeable than cars, the downside is that working space is limited, meaning sometimes without the right tool you round off fasteners, damage bolts, etc.

The best way to learn is find someone local who's willing to take you under their wing - you'll learn more from their experience and hopefully they'll help you catch yourself before you eff things up too badly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while and a lot of this discussion has gone over my head. I know the basic parts of my bike (engine, wheels, go-stick, stop-stick, and gas-hole), but if I really want to learn more what would you all recommend? Should I just read the DRZ forums more, is there a book (besides the owner's manual) that I should buy, or maybe even a selection of beginner friendly youtube videos(don't suggest Ichiban Moto)?

Lets start with what you want to know. Every single part of a motorcycle is an incredibly deep rabbit hole that people can dedicate their entire careers to. Of course we cant all have that deep of knowledge on everything with bikes, but you can get below the surface level easily.

What do you want to know about? If the answer is "Everything" my question is what do you want to know about first? This forum is a good start, and I know people love nerding out and making writeups.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lets start with what you want to know. Every single part of a motorcycle is an incredibly deep rabbit hole that people can dedicate their entire careers to. Of course we cant all have that deep of knowledge on everything with bikes, but you can get below the surface level easily.

What do you want to know about? If the answer is "Everything" my question is what do you want to know about first? This forum is a good start, and I know people love nerding out and making writeups.

Did someone say they wanted :words:?!?!?!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everything. The problem for me is how often I read an excellent post here but I feel like I miss most of the conversation due to not knowing all the terms, etc. I guess I was just hoping for a good beginner encyclopedia, not just wikipedia, where I could learn more about 2 stroke engines, or what double overhead cams actually mean for the bike, etc. If there isn't an easy resource besides just using Google then I can understand that.

Z3n posted:

Yes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

You can also read CA on the social dynamics of forum motorcycle nerds.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

oh god

oh god oh god

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:words:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Alright guys, I'm in the process of buying a 2008 DRZ400SM from a guy. I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. He said his parents lost the title at some point after he paid it off a few years ago, but he's already requested a new title from the DMV or whatever and says he'll have it within the next week. In our correspondences he sent this and I just wanted to make sure it's ok.

quote:

The title is being remade but I have a copy that the bank gave me so I will sign that over to you for now as evidence of the actual title and as soon as I get it I'll sign the back and mail it to you. The tag office told me I should have it by Tuesday of next week. I'll also make a bill of sale for both of us, should you choose to buy it, so that we both have a copy. If that sounds good then I will tell anyone that calls between now and then that the bike is in the process of being sold so I will hold it until then?

Should I not hand him cash until I have the actual title in my hand or is a signed copy from the bank just as good? I don't know if I am reading it wrong but it seems like he's going to give me the bank's original copy of the title while the DMV sends him a new original?

I've literally never bought a vehicle by myself before, what do I do here?

e: this thing is so sexy

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Call your local DMV and see what they will accept as proof of ownership. Alternatively, if you have all the paperwork, you meet at his house, and everything seems legit (drivers license matches address, title matches address, reg matches address) just have him sign everything off, make copies of his info, and go for it.

It's probably fine. I'd probably meet him, agree to buy the bike, offer a deposit until he gets the title, and just deal with it all in one go.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Don't buy it until he has the real title and don't hand some random craigslister 500 bucks or something to "hold on to it". If he really will get it in a few days just wait and do a legitimate deal. There's zero reason to gently caress around on just buying a DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh yeah, I'm used to only going after deals that are good enough that if you don't push cash in someone's hand, the bike will be sold out from under you before paperwork is done. I'd ask for the provisional title or some other guarantee of some sort - I've gotten to the point where I trust my judgement on sellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Speaking of things to learn about, suspensions are a total loving mystery to me at this point, though I think I have a good handle on most other bike related things. Mostly from working on a 30 year old bike for a couple years.

I guess the main issue is that I'm not a good enough rider to know if my suspension is total poo poo, though I am aware that most stock suspensions nowadays. Whenever I get my next bike, I was just planning on bringing it to a place that does suspension work and just be like "make this less lovely", though I'm not too comfortable having things like that done but not knowing WHY it's done, I've always been a pretty hands on guy.