Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Blows the dogwhistle and gets miffed when the hounds come a-running :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
What's everyone's favourite right wing political opponent nickname?

Mine is the endlessly funny 'Limp Dums'.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Metrication posted:

What's everyone's favourite right wing political opponent nickname?

Mine is the endlessly funny 'Limp Dums'.

Pffft, "ZaNu LIEbore" has got that beat hands down

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Good news, everybody!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/07ebc8b4-cac6-11e3-ba95-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2zh2Dirrp

quote:

Public borrowing met George Osborne’s target for the financial year, official figures revealed on Wednesday, showing the British economy’s deficit reduction programme is back on track.
After three years when borrowing greatly exceeded expectations amid economic stagnation, the recovery in the past year has coincided with a return to gradually rising tax revenues.

Improved figures for the deficit in 2013-14 nevertheless still leaves it high compared with other countries and normal levels, requiring prolonged further austerity to bring it down.

With the level of borrowing expected to be 6.6 per cent of national income, the UK still compares poorly with the average of 4.8 per cent for all advanced economies and 3 per cent for the eurozone in 2013, according to the most recent International Monetary Fund assessment.

The different political parties have different ambitions for deficit reduction. The Conservatives want to run absolute surpluses in normal times, Labour wants to eliminate the smaller deficit excluding net capital investment over the next parliament and the Liberal Democrats have positioned themselves in between.

Each objective will require public spending cuts to continue at least until 2017-18, unless there is a sudden and unexpected improvement in the underlying health of the public finances.

Further cuts will be required because the only way to balance the government's budget is to reduce spending. There is no possible way for a government to increase its revenue.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KKKlean Energy posted:

Pffft, "ZaNu LIEbore" has got that beat hands down

Use the full name please. ZaNu LIEbore PF.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Good news, everybody!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/07ebc8b4-cac6-11e3-ba95-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2zh2Dirrp

Further cuts will be required because the only way to balance the government's budget is to reduce spending. There is no possible way for a government to increase its revenue.

And once we've eliminated the deficit we can finally start paying down the debt! We can't let our lenders go unrewarded for all the help they have given us over the years. If public services suffer, don't worry as your super flexible employment terms will let you bootstrap your way to the middle where you can choose which services you want to pay for .

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy
Be careful what you wish for...

If Cameron loses the next election, who will he be replaced by?

Perhaps a strong right winger such as Boris or worse.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Radio Prune posted:

Blows the dogwhistle and gets miffed when the hounds come a-running :mmmhmm:

I thought Tommeh had given up the EDL to go on speaking tours?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
^^^ check the dates ^^^

no_one posted:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

no_one posted:

They had IDS as leader during their last period in the wilderness, so they could hardly do worse than that. Besides, Boris isn't that far on the right of the party. With that said, I don't think it's a given that they will lose in 2015 given the way things are going at the moment; the uptick may be wholly cyclical, but its timing's extremely good for them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

no_one posted:

Not sure I understand. If he loses the next election, he'll be replaced (as PM) by whoever wins the next election. If he's replaced as party leader, then it won't matter who it is as his party will be out of power for 5 years (which ought to be plenty of time for Boris or May or Gove to fall flat on his or her face. One hopes.).

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I literally can't wait for Labour to get in. They're going to do so well, I can feel it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

No they're going to continue to be awful liberals.

Election 2015: Whoever wins, we lose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Saki posted:

I literally can't wait for Labour to get in. They're going to do so well, I can feel it.

I don't think anyone's OK with Labour here. It's just that when your choice is between cartoon supervillainy and diluted cartoon supervillainy, there's really only one pick.

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy

KKKlean Energy posted:

Not sure I understand. If he loses the next election, he'll be replaced (as PM) by whoever wins the next election. If he's replaced as party leader, then it won't matter who it is as his party will be out of power for 5 years (which ought to be plenty of time for Boris or May or Gove to fall flat on his or her face. One hopes.).

Who will replace him, I have a hunch that he will chase the right wing votes. Hope I am wrong.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Ed Milliband looks off-puttingly alike to my old head prefect. Actually a bit less charismatic though.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Theresa May is more popular than Boris to conservative party members but whether they're willing to let her lead the party after Cameron gets the boot is another matter, considering the shambles that was the Abu Qatada deportation and the other fuckups at the Border Agency while she's been in charge.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Of course, the 2015 election date is assuming that Scotland doesn't vote to gently caress off by themselves in September. I've got no doubt that the shock of losing Scotland would precipitate an early General Election in the rump UK.

(the election campaign would, of course, mainly consist of a furious row over which party was most to blame for 'losing' Scotland.)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Why do you see Cameron getting the boot? Labour's lead in general election polls is only 3%*, which is very much Kinnock 1991 territory, and Cameron's in a much stronger position going into 2015 than Major was going into 1992 - the Tories haven't been pushing any riot-starting policies or been in government when a major financial crisis hit for a start. This is very much a winnable election for Labour, but I'd be loath to put any money on them.

Also, the next election will be in 2015 no matter what the Scottish result - we have fixed term parliaments now.

* They do much better in euro election polls, but the electorate as a whole doesn't really take those seriously and they're not indicative of general election voting patterns.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
UK TV has hit rock bottom, channel 4 are to introduce a 'decide who will live and who will die' reality show:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/23/channel-4-documentary-nhs-costs

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

UK TV has hit rock bottom, channel 4 are to introduce a 'decide who will live and who will die' reality show:

No, they haven't, and they never would be allowed to.

The Article Linked In Your Post posted:

it will not be a kind of Patient Idol or X-ray Factor style-show as viewers will not actually have the final say on who receives the treatment, only register their opinions on either a website or Twitter feed.

However, in housing news ladies and gentlemen I present The Free Market!* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27123966

BBC News posted:

Fire brigade worried about London's 'hidden homes'

Thousands of people in London are living in hidden homes - often in disturbing conditions - because they cannot afford to live elsewhere. The BBC has found people paying to live in shop storerooms, above car repair garages, on industrial estates and in former warehouses.

This shadow housing market is causing London Fire Brigade "grave concerns". In the past nine months, firefighters have attended 36 fires in such places and two people have died.

Carlo moved to London from Spain four years ago in search of a better life for his two teenage daughters. Now all three share a cramped room above a car repair shop on an industrial estate in north-west London. They are 20 residents sharing eight rooms and a kitchen, while mechanics work on customers' vehicles below. "I looked for a two-bedroom flat, but it's too expensive - the rent, the deposit. Now I live just in this room, little room, and I pay £433 every month - with no furniture," said Carlo. His daughters, now aged 18 and 21, sleep in bunk beds in the same room. The only other furniture is a small fridge, and there is mould on the walls.

Tim Rolt, planning enforcement manager for Brent Council, told BBC Radio Four's Face The Facts programme that homes hidden away on industrial estates and within commercial property were an increasing problem. For the past few years he and his team have been attempting to crack down on so-called "beds in sheds" and have issued more than 100 enforcement notices following investigations, which often begin with tip-offs from neighbours. He says his job is getting harder: "One of the problems we've had in investigating this type of accommodation is that a lot of it has been hidden away. Unlike if it's in a predominately residential area, in industrial areas people are not interested in reporting it."

Mr Rolt says: "The people living in these places - factories and industrial units - are often vulnerable and quite a few them don't speak English or speak very broken English. They have difficulty finding work and they are often reliant on their landlords for work."

But it is not just migrant workers who find themselves having to endure what can be squalid living conditions. For almost a year Erin, 24, lived on a houseboat on the Thames - paying £250 a month for a makeshift cabin aboard an old converted grain barge. She came to London looking for work in the television industry, but the friend who offered a couch to sleep on moved. "The boat is about 60ft [18m] long and basically has a house built on to it made out of scrap wood and metal. Some of the ceilings are even made out of old doors," she says.

It is one of three boats, moored together, which house up to 32 people. Mains electricity is provided for just a few hours a day, thanks to a generator. There is a camping shower, but hot water comes from boiling a kettle. "At first I thought I'd take it on the chin - but then when it started raining a lot more and the weather got worse, the conditions got really unbearable. The walls leaked water, the carpet on the floor was wet for five months. It was so cold that you couldn't fall asleep and you could see your breath in your room," says Erin. She says she suffered anxiety and depression as a result of her experience and, after months of saving, has now moved to a small flat-share. Her former landlord says he has been working to improve conditions on the boats and was pleased the barges could offer people "shelter and get them on their feet out when they could afford little else".

In Hackney Wick, in the shadow of the Olympic Stadium, dozens of former factories and warehouses now house what is said to be the biggest creative community in Europe. The residents are attracted by large spaces at relatively low rents. Isobel, 27, lives in one former factory, which she shares with 11 others. Breeze-block walls divide the building into living spaces. "It does feel like a warehouse but that's part of the attraction. You can take the space and do with it what you like - we've even built new rooms," she says.

Isobel says she has permission to live where she does, but Face The Facts has spoken to others who lived in buildings deemed to be for industrial use only but where landlords were creating other hidden homes. "The building was so badly maintained because there was always that excuse, 'Oh you're not supposed to be living there,'" says Alex. He says: "There were a lot of rats in the building. One day these rats just started dying in the walls and in the pipes because of the poison, and there was this horrible smell in our bathroom. And then eventually there was this trail of blood that came down the wall and it was it was really really grim. We went to the caretaker and he was just like, 'What do you want me to do about it?'"

The owner of the building told the BBC he would evict anyone he found living there and the LFB are now happy with the fire-safety precautions taken. Housing Minister Kris Hopkins said the government had made £6m available to local authorities to "root out the cowboys" and 950 illegal and overcrowded commercial properties had been uncovered as a result.

But Rita Dexter, deputy commissioner of the LFB, does not believe the problem will go away in the near future. She says: "Fundamentally there are many many people looking for places to live in London and it doesn't seem to me that that will diminish in the short term. We are very concerned about what is next in terms of what people will design as places for people to live. Ingenuity is one word for it. In our organisation we call it risk."

*I think The Free Market! is the new The Aristocrats!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why do you see Cameron getting the boot? Labour's lead in general election polls is only 3%*, which is very much Kinnock 1991 territory, and Cameron's in a much stronger position going into 2015 than Major was going into 1992 - the Tories haven't been pushing any riot-starting policies or been in government when a major financial crisis hit for a start. This is very much a winnable election for Labour, but I'd be loath to put any money on them.

Also, the next election will be in 2015 no matter what the Scottish result - we have fixed term parliaments now.

* They do much better in euro election polls, but the electorate as a whole doesn't really take those seriously and they're not indicative of general election voting patterns.

they could still lose a vote of confidence forcing an early election

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SybilVimes posted:

Well, it won't, thankfully. But if nothing else, maybe it will make people realise how valuable and essential the NHS is, and how it can't be done on the cheap, or run by that chap you know from the club.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

if Scotland votes Yes, the first thing David Cameron would have to do is visit Buckingham Palace for an extremely awkward conversation with the Queen about how he's managed to mislay her country. The second thing he'd have to do is resign - there's no way that he could continue in office as the Prime Minister who Lost Britain. Aside from DC, it's important to realise now just what an extraordinarily bitter post-mortem there'd be at Westminister in the aftermath of a Yes vote. I'm quite sure that the Coalition would be ripped apart and there'd be nothing left to do except call for new elections.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SybilVimes posted:

I don't know, it could bring a few realities home and make people more aware of what funding cuts and 'efficiency savings' actually mean. And they're not actually influencing what happens.

It's got a long way to go before it beats Channel 5's "but this man claims not all Roma in Britain are thieves!" toxic race-baiting shite

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

they could still lose a vote of confidence forcing an early election

Was it ever settled what would actually happen in those circumstances? ISTR the rushed-through law left a pretty massive loophole where 55% of Parliament was required to dissolve Parliament even though only 50%+1 are required to remove confidence or supply.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was it ever settled what would actually happen in those circumstances? ISTR the rushed-through law left a pretty massive loophole where 55% of Parliament was required to dissolve Parliament even though only 50%+1 are required to remove confidence or supply.

Answering my own question, they removed that loophole, although it seems like they get a second bite of the cherry with a formal vote of confidence required as a followup to a vote of no-confidence (where before that was just convention).

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act is essentially just for show. Regardless of the mechanics it puts in place (supermajority, or loss of confidence) for calling an early election, it still only takes 50% +1 to repeal the law.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Happy Shakespeare deathday! Have a list of banal clichés that he invented*, and we use 450 years later, to celebrate.

*Or at least published in a form we still have access to.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Umiapik posted:

if Scotland votes Yes, the first thing David Cameron would have to do is visit Buckingham Palace for an extremely awkward conversation with the Queen about how he's managed to mislay her country. The second thing he'd have to do is resign - there's no way that he could continue in office as the Prime Minister who Lost Britain. Aside from DC, it's important to realise now just what an extraordinarily bitter post-mortem there'd be at Westminister in the aftermath of a Yes vote. I'm quite sure that the Coalition would be ripped apart and there'd be nothing left to do except call for new elections.

She would still be queen of Scotland. There's no real support for getting rid of the monarchy here. In fact suggesting we might lose the queen if we go independent has been one of the more successful unionist scare stories! Despite it having no basis in reality- the SNP would never get rid of her and she would never abdicate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

She would still be queen of Scotland. There's no real support for getting rid of the monarchy here. In fact suggesting we might lose the queen if we go independent has been one of the more successful unionist scare stories! Despite it having no basis in reality- the SNP would never get rid of her and she would never abdicate.

Also there's no way he would ever get the chance to have that conversation, he would be killed by his own party before the champagne corks hit the ground.

(This may be more than just a figure of speech, by the way - with the referendum coming after the last Queens Speech he could theoretically continue in power until the election as the Queens Speech is the last compulsory confidence vote on the calendar, but I'm guessing members of The Conservative And Unionist Party - which is their full name after all - might have to look at other methods of getting him out of power)

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

Sarah Palin's death panels, but staffed by Channel 4 viewers. Noel Edmonds as the final judge, taking an imaginary phone call from an executioner. FEAR THIS.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No, they haven't, and they never would be allowed to.

However, in housing news ladies and gentlemen I present The Free Market!* http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27123966

*I think The Free Market! is the new The Aristocrats!
The response to this stuff from officialdom seems to be "how dare people live in these places? Let's enforce the law and move them on!" rather than "Wow, if people are willing to put up with living in subhuman conditions we really need to start building some bloody houses".

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Zephro posted:

The response to this stuff from officialdom seems to be "how dare people live in these places? Let's enforce the law and move them on!" rather than "Wow, if people are willing to put up with living in subhuman conditions we really need to start building some bloody houses".

Well, you see, people are choosing to live in these places, not being driven to it.

There will always be unlimited demand for a free good :smug:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Even Peter Oborne and the Telegraph think the housing market is hosed (because it is) :aaa: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100268487/honest-work-cant-put-a-roof-over-our-heads-true-conservatives-should-be-appalled/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Trickjaw posted:

Well, it won't, thankfully. But if nothing else, maybe it will make people realise how valuable and essential the NHS is, and how it can't be done on the cheap, or run by that chap you know from the club.

It's a channel 4 show so I can 100% guarantee that the main focus will be on whatever 'unnecessary' cosmetic surgery the NHS offers, and that the patients in focus will be loud-mouthed self-entitled pricks (or their statements to the camera will be cherry-picked to make them appear as such)

Just you wait, that's what it will be

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Umiapik posted:

Of course, the 2015 election date is assuming that Scotland doesn't vote to gently caress off by themselves in September. I've got no doubt that the shock of losing Scotland would precipitate an early General Election in the rump UK.

(the election campaign would, of course, mainly consist of a furious row over which party was most to blame for 'losing' Scotland.)

Labour will be blamed and it'll stick really. It's no accident that the Tories are distancing themselves from the independence referendum, they know their influence up here is more toxic than Labour's and having Labour do the heavy lifting just puts their head on the block in the event of a Yes vote.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

It'll be a load of people that look awful and have illnesses that look like they are all their own fault (alcoholics needing transplants, morbidly obese people wanting gastric bands) so that everyone can talk about how the NHS is taking your tax money so sluts can get boob jobs.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

no_one posted:

Who will replace him, I have a hunch that he will chase the right wing votes. Hope I am wrong.

Boris is disliked by all the party regulars and won't be able to run for this coming general election. Which is fine, as he's their only chance at winning it, theoretically.

The replacements essentially boil down to "May or Gove" at the moment, so you've got a choice between a genuine war criminal or the most incompetent government official in recent memory. If, however, the leadership changes hands after the GE, there's a chance they'll actually listen to their PR team telling them to get May and Gove both as far from the party as possible, as they're hateful and what might be termed "vote-cancer". In which case, there's the solid tradition of promoting the chancellor.

Either way there is absolutely no chance of anyone remotely competent getting it. Cameron has faced the humiliation of being the first British PM to lose a motion to war vote, and will shortly lose Scotland, it seems. At the very least we can thank that he'll go down in history as a complete joke of a PM to all, regardless of his murderous attitude to the less well-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

The replacements essentially boil down to "May or Gove" at the moment, so you've got a choice between a genuine war criminal or the most incompetent government official in recent memory.

But Maria Miller isn't either of those? :confused:

Seriously, Gove's more ideological than incompetent. Maria Miller was just incompetent. Education wishes it was as incompetent as DCMS.

• Locked thread