Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

The Japanese trying to figure out what the hell just happened at Hiroshima is pretty interesting (and macabre, and sad, too). They obviously knew nothing about the weapon, no major bombing raid had occurred, the US fleet was a thousand miles away, and an entire city was burning.

They came up with some pretty crazy ideas: the US had initiated a tsunami, they'd tunnelled under the city somehow and set off some sort of volcanic explosion, they'd managed to "cloak" a bombing raid somehow...and so on. The military's final best guess was that the US had spent months covering the entire city with magnesium and had then detonated it with a single bomb; this kind of makes sense when you read about all of the eyewitness reports saying that the explosion was exactly like that of a magnesium flash going off.

OK, now I don't doubt any of this. What I don't really understand is why they would think this, if they had a atom bomb project themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'd imagine a mix of not everyone knowing about it, and hey we couldn't make it work how could they?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'd imagine a mix of not everyone knowing about it, and hey we couldn't make it work how could they?

Yeah, consider how top secret our project was. I can imagine there would be a gently caress load of confusion if we'd had Boston nuked in '45 with all sorts of crazy suppositions before someone connected the dots between our own research and that.

Plus, the Japanese A-Bomb project was laughable. They had their own nuclear experts, but they were about as far from the bomb as they were from cold loving fusion. It also doesn't hurt that before our very, very secret tests in Nevada no one had anything but educated guesses what an atomic explosion would look like in person. There was a fair bit of "gently caress it, throw the switch and see what it does" involved in early nuclear research.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

One of my never discuss while high topics was the Manhattan Project. Just how crazy an idea it was, during a time when money and scientists were desperately needed for advancements in areas that were guaranteed to yield at least something. Just all the people dealing with all the science needed for it, when none of them really quite knew what might happen, and that somehow over it all the loving government procurement system actually let it happen. Trippy as balls.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

It also doesn't hurt that before our very, very secret tests in Nevada

New Mexico. We didn't start nuking Nevada until the fifties.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Correct, my mistake.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Lumping the southwest together as one giant blob is really the kindest thing one could do for New Mexico.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

There was a fair bit of "gently caress it, throw the switch and see what it does" involved in early nuclear research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_K._Daghlian,_Jr.

Radiation safety procedures left a lot to be desired in the 1940s.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DeesGrandpa posted:

One of my never discuss while high topics was the Manhattan Project. Just how crazy an idea it was, during a time when money and scientists were desperately needed for advancements in areas that were guaranteed to yield at least something. Just all the people dealing with all the science needed for it, when none of them really quite knew what might happen, and that somehow over it all the loving government procurement system actually let it happen. Trippy as balls.

The science wasn't so hard. The basic theory had been known for at least a decade when they set off on the path that ended at Trinity. The maths though. The maths was loving spectacularly balls-nasty, and there wasn't any Wolfram Alpha to help them out.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sperglord Actual posted:

The Nevada Test Site/Yucca Flat is fun to examine on Google Earth (south west of Groom Lake, west of Papoose Lake, and north of Yucca Airfield), it's ~25 sq. miles of cratered earth that would make the pimpliest teenager blush. And the further north you go from Yucca Airfield the larger the craters get until you reach the Sedan Crater.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Project plowshare :cripes:

also, Area 25.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Memento posted:

The science wasn't so hard. The basic theory had been known for at least a decade when they set off on the path that ended at Trinity. The maths though. The maths was loving spectacularly balls-nasty, and there wasn't any Wolfram Alpha to help them out.

We did have calculators. Rooms full of them. http://www.mphpa.org/classic/HISTORY/H-06c18.htm Neutron propagation and equations of state for critical masses are not that conceptually difficult. But they are balls-rear end difficult due to the lack of analytical solutions to all these nasty coupled equations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

nevermind, redundant.

Have an image of the General Electric test fleet at Edwards, circa 1960.

Loving the Caravelle.

What's that steel colored little fighter up on the left of the Phantom?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pimpmust posted:

I think it's an F5D.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The bright red A-3 Skywarrior with incredibly oversized engine is pretty great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pimpmust posted:

Douglas F4D Skyray (aka F-6)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_F4D_Skyray

Edit: efb, could be the F5D variant (skylancer)

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 23, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Oh yep, so it is, missed the framing on the cockpit. Surprising, with all the other high performance planes around it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My uncle had a cool model of an F-6, truly one of the forgotten fighters!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

xthetenth posted:

I think it's an F5D.

Close, it's an F4D (F5D has a pointier nose and never entered service, with only a couple prototypes being built).

Incidentally, the F4D is one of the best looking fighters ever built:

Yet another example of Ed Heinemann proving that if it looks right, it'll fly right.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The probe on the nose threw me off, honestly. I adore Douglas planes from that period, the Skyhawk is just the coolest thing, and the Skyray and Skylancer aren't far behind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

With the rounded delta it reminded me of the avro Vulcan somewhat, a mini version.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

StandardVC10 posted:

The bright red A-3 Skywarrior with incredibly oversized engine is pretty great.

Close; it's an RB-66 testing GE CJ805 engines.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I just finished Command and Control, which was a great and disturbing read.
If I understand the book correctly the US has lost a number of nukes by dropping them in the ocean as well as dropping them deep into the ground?
And in some of those cases (where it happened outside of the US) they didn't even try to recover the nukes?

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

On destroying intelligence in the event of capture...

Reading Wiki I see Powers here failed to activate the self-destruct mechanism before climbing out(!) of his swiftly disintegrating U2.

Should have installed a leash activation like on a treadmill or jet ski - if the pilot goes missing then the film canisters shouldn't remain intact.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LostCosmonaut posted:

I have had people in other parts of the internet try to tell me that the F-86's wing design was copied from the 262. Because all swept wings are the same.

If we're talking about overrated German weapon systems, one would be remiss if they did not mention the V2.

If World of Tanks players have taught me anything, it's that there are a ton of loving imbeciles out there who jerk off to shows about FEARSOME GERMAN ARMOR on the Military History Channel.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh god do they ever.

Glorious Invincible KruppStahl!

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If World of Tanks players have taught me anything, it's that there are a ton of loving imbeciles out there who jerk off to shows about FEARSOME GERMAN ARMOR on the Military History Channel.

Imagine having to play against those clods in a tabletop wargame :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Tumorous Typhoon:

And F-18

And F-16

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
For whatever reason (probably camera angle) the others just look like they got some sort of electronics pods added to them, but the F-16 looks like it got swole.

As for the German tanks, did they continue to be overengineered pieces of precision watchmaking after the end of WWII? I actually know very little about post nazi German armor, and most of what I know about WWII German armor was taught to me by Tamiya in 1/35th scale.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
They are conformal fuel tanks (I think).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Russian bias.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

As for the German tanks, did they continue to be overengineered pieces of precision watchmaking after the end of WWII? I actually know very little about post nazi German armor, and most of what I know about WWII German armor was taught to me by Tamiya in 1/35th scale.

The Leopard 1 was a pretty exceptional bit of engineering; it and the Chieftain are generally regarded as the best tanks of the era. The The US of course was rolling about in halfassed upgrades on WWII heavies for this entire period.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

bewbies posted:

The Leopard 1 was a pretty exceptional bit of engineering; it and the Chieftain are generally regarded as the best tanks of the era. The The US of course was rolling about in halfassed upgrades on WWII heavies for this entire period.

I thought the Leo 1 suffered pretty badly from the "any tank that gets hit will be destroyed by a HEAT shell anyway, so lets not armor it much and rely on speed"? Of course, the Leo 1 never faced enemy MBTs in the open field so we will never know how it would have done.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

No FAST packs? I'm disappointed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Besides the Leo, Germany also had a post-war tank destroyer. It was very similar to (possibly based on?) the Jagdpanzer IV, though significantly reworked, and had the 90mm from the M47 Patton. It was called the Kanonenjagdpanzer.

vvvvv edit: The joke in this case was my phones autocorrect.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 23, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Uh...is there a joke I'm missing or should that be Kanonenjagnpanzer?

EDIT: welp! Nevermind then!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

iyaayas01 posted:

Skyray goodness

This must be the cutest fighter ever developed :3:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bewbies posted:

German tank design got a lot better once they started to use proper manufacturing techniques and didn't have completely insane design boards/requirements.

ArchangeI posted:

I thought the Leo 1 suffered pretty badly from the "any tank that gets hit will be destroyed by a HEAT shell anyway, so lets not armor it much and rely on speed"? Of course, the Leo 1 never faced enemy MBTs in the open field so we will never know how it would have done.

A lot of the Cold War-era armor before the introduction of composites was based on the mostly correct idea that RHA just wasn't suitable for tank armor anymore. Studies also showed that there was a remarkably small area of a tank that would normally get hit anyways (Upper Front Glacis to turret) so many of the post-war designs focused on making that more resilient. Severe slopes and low profiles to minimize exposure. Sometimes with pretty thick turret fronts as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's easy enough to solve. Get rid of the turret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stridsvagn_103

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Taerkar posted:

German tank design got a lot better once they started to use proper manufacturing techniques and didn't have completely insane design boards/requirements.

A lot of the Cold War-era armor before the introduction of composites was based on the mostly correct idea that RHA just wasn't suitable for tank armor anymore. Studies also showed that there was a remarkably small area of a tank that would normally get hit anyways (Upper Front Glacis to turret) so many of the post-war designs focused on making that more resilient. Severe slopes and low profiles to minimize exposure. Sometimes with pretty thick turret fronts as well.

Remember that the Leopard I was built on the theory that it would be fighting largely from prepared positions, running away falling back rapidly and then resuming the engagement from the next line of defense.