Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Lumpy posted:

Remember, if you don't have at least 10 animated GIFs on your page, you won't get the user's attention.

Its going to pop, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
On the subject of emails... I don't work on them at my job (actually a deliberate stipulation for me to take the job), but it seems like it has a new design for every email. Is this unusual and causing the poor soul coding the emails more work than there really should be?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
All this talk about HTML emails... Don't most clients block images and remote content by default anyway? So your nice designs just end up being a gross mess for most people?

e: vvv All images are usually blocked by default, including attachments. Meaning they will appear in the list of attachments but not inline unless the user explicitly loads them.

ee: I guess the discussion is pointless, sorry. HTML emails must get a high enough click-through rate for most business to be wroth the cost or they wouldn't bother sending them. Which means enough people manually load them or are on clients where it's not blocked by default.

Xik fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 12, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xik posted:

All this talk about HTML emails... Don't most clients block images and remote content by default anyway? So your nice designs just end up being a gross mess for most people?

You can attach images to the email and refer to them from the HTML portion.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Xik posted:

Gmail loads images on email by default now, and a lot of people use gmail. However, it is worth mentioning that every email that uses images technically has none until they load, and there's some really clever stuff you can do with that: http://www.emaildesignreview.com/email-design-best-practice/images-off-mcdonalds-leads-the-way-1738/

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
"I want vertical spacing in bootstrap!"

"We need to have it done right and standardized."

Would invisi-divs or margin-bottom be a better idea?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

2banks1swap.avi posted:

"I want vertical spacing in bootstrap!"

"We need to have it done right and standardized."

Would invisi-divs or margin-bottom be a better idea?

"It depends"

Invisi-divs is most definitely the wrong way to do it, but the right way will depend on what you mean by 'vertical spacing'. Do you mean a vertical typographic rhythm, or "I need to have block A have some space under it so block B isn't touching it"?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Block A -> Block B touching, basically.

I'm just going to go with some classes to specify some margin-bottom. Since this is bootstrap, would it be a good idea to define them as percentages/fractions of the gutter size?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Block A -> Block B touching, basically.

I'm just going to go with some classes to specify some margin-bottom. Since this is bootstrap, would it be a good idea to define them as percentages/fractions of the gutter size?

Define them based on the body copy line-height, as it should be a multiple of the space between your type for great beauty.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm getting some reports that Android users are having to re-authenticate for my app too frequently. The app relies on Google OpenID but after Google tells us who you are we create a 6 month cookie for your session. I've never used an Android phone before, but is there anything that users might be doing that would cause that session to go away before the 6 months is up?

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Anyone had any joys printing exact measurements pages like labels from a combo of HTML/CSS? Google seems to advice strong against it.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I have used a PHP plugin export to PDF. http://www.tcpdf.org/

I know it's not what you're asking, but I've made pages to print labels pretty successfully with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Anyone had any joys printing exact measurements pages like labels from a combo of HTML/CSS? Google seems to advice strong against it.

With physical units as measurements in CSS and the right dpi configured everywhere, I think it should work.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Subjunctive posted:

With physical units as measurements in CSS and the right dpi configured everywhere, I think it should work.

It doesn't. Even with browser print margins set to 0, and absolute positioning

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fruit Smoothies posted:

It doesn't. Even with browser print margins set to 0, and absolute positioning

Oh, you want to fill the whole page? I was thinking of just getting something of the right size in there. Surprised that it doesn't work, assuming no scale-to-fit or whatnot on the print-driver side. Sorry. :(

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried to do something similar a year or so ago -- use print styles to typeset my resume. Browser differences aside, I never really could figure out how the CSS mapped to the whatever the browser eventually tried to print. It's not bad for general printing, but I couldn't figure out how to exert the level of control I was used to. If you figure it out, please share.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I've used jspdf for trucking load sheets and it's worked well, without any issues: http://parall.ax/products/jspdf

Never tried to print labels but because it's creating a pdf via data-uri you shouldn't have any issues with default styles overriding measurements or anything like that.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Anybody upgrade their Google Analytics to "Universal Analytics" yet? It says "Select an account and a property, then click Universal Analytics Upgrade" but there's no option to do that after I select the property, even though I have the appropriate "edit permission". I don't think I'm already using it since I don't see the "User ID" feature in the Tracking Info section.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
For the Mac users in the thread Sketch 3 is out and I really like it. It's a huge update from sketch 2, anyone who needs a relatively cheap Illustrator / Photoshop alternative should try the demo.

http://bohemiancoding.com/sketch/

It's on sale for $50.00 until April 21st in the app store too.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

For the Mac users in the thread Sketch 3 is out and I really like it. It's a huge update from sketch 2, anyone who needs a relatively cheap Illustrator / Photoshop alternative should try the demo.

http://bohemiancoding.com/sketch/

It's on sale for $50.00 until April 21st in the app store too.

Kind of burns my britches (oh yeah... :corsair: !) that there's no upgrade path. Can you kern individual characters with Option-arrow key? If so, I will shut up and pay full price.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
No I just tried. I assume you meant selecting one character in a word / paragraph?

Symbols are a thing, which seems to be the big selling point. I'm somewhat disappointed I can't share symbols between documents though.

Also,

quote:

If you purchased Sketch 2 on the Mac App Store after March 1st, 2014, you will receive Sketch 3 for free. In order to claim your license key, please email us your Mac App Store receipt and we’ll sort out the rest. Due to the limited quantity of promo codes we have available, we regret that we cannot provide you with an App Store version of Sketch 3 in return, but a serial key that you can apply to our trial to remove any limitation.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 18, 2014

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

No I just tried. I assume you meant selecting one character in a word / paragraph?

Symbols are a thing, which seems to be the big selling point. I'm somewhat disappointed I can't share symbols between documents though.

Also,

In every other graphics / page layout app I've ever used on the Mac (going back probably before half of you were born) if you put the text cursor between two letters and held down option, you could kern with the arrow keys. It's not a huge deal, but makes a pain in the rear end for doing art that will be exported for print.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy posted:

In every other graphics / page layout app I've ever used on the Mac (going back probably before half of you were born) if you put the text cursor between two letters and held down option, you could kern with the arrow keys. It's not a huge deal, but makes a pain in the rear end for doing art that will be exported for print.

Send 'em an email, maybe it's an easy add.

6.4 Billion
Jul 19, 2005
I have a simple website and would like to add some simple purchasing options with inventory management. Am I better off using paypal's built in inventory management or something like woocommerce?

I can write some basic html, but have no experience with wordpress. Prefer not to purchase anything to do this, especially recurring cost options like bigcartel.

How easy is woocommerce and a wordpress theme for someone that has no experience with it?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
WooCommerce is pretty straight forward and easy to use. If you're going down the 'as cheap as possible' route they offer a few free themes here, although you should be able to integrate it into w/e theme you want.

The only time it gets complicated is if (a) you have a complicated product (weird quantities, too many variations, etc) or (b) you need one of the addons for shipping, inventory management, store locators, etc... I hate it when they nickel and dime you for those addons.

stzy
Apr 20, 2014

6.4 Billion posted:

I have a simple website and would like to add some simple purchasing options with inventory management. Am I better off using paypal's built in inventory management or something like woocommerce?

I can write some basic html, but have no experience with wordpress. Prefer not to purchase anything to do this, especially recurring cost options like bigcartel.

How easy is woocommerce and a wordpress theme for someone that has no experience with it?

It really depends on what you mean by basic html. woocommerce and Wordpress are both fairly straight forward if you have some understanding of html, css and php. I recommend checking out tutorials on w3schools. Its really comprehensive and once you get the basic syntax of these languages, it won't be hard to transition into other opensource solutions like Drupal and Drupal Commerce. I'm currently working on a Drupal Commerce site and it is extremely powerful.

The languages aren't tough if you've got the patience for them. Basic html probably is not going to be enough to skirt the commercial products.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stzy posted:

I recommend checking out tutorials on w3schools.

w3schools is an abomination, an affront to the grace of god and Hixie. Please avoid; http://developer.mozilla.org is a much better place to start.

stzy
Apr 20, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

w3schools is an abomination, an affront to the grace of god and Hixie. Please avoid; http://developer.mozilla.org is a much better place to start.

I see what you mean by abomination now... read for 5 minutes and things are already more clear. Any resources for php like that?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

stzy posted:

I see what you mean by abomination now... read for 5 minutes and things are already more clear. Any resources for php like that?
The manual is pretty good.

http://docs.php.net/manual/en/

stzy
Apr 20, 2014

sure is. Any more "tutorial" styled resources though? eg. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Introduction_to_Object-Oriented_JavaScript

I have a better time understanding what I'm doing when people explain versus definition/example. Figured tutorials might be a better start for 6.4 Billion as well with his website.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stzy posted:

Codecademy's stuff is usually pretty decent: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/php

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Hello! I'm looking for JQuery help, particularly with JCarousel implementation (http://sorgalla.com/jcarousel/docs/cookbook/responsive-carousel.html). I'm such a newbie at jQuery that I'm having a hard time navigating all the variables involved in making this work.

It may be quite complicated -- I'm trying to make a full-screen, responsive JCarousel that is navigable via clicking the left or right side of the displayed image, with a fixed header and fixed footer containing links to other information. But, I'm willing to learn for however long someone is patient enough to answer my questions, and even if the end result isn't everything I'm demanding, I really appreciate the help, just in understanding what's going on, for my own sake. I have a wireframe layout I can email to further illustrate what I'm trying to do, plus the code I was trying to frankenstein together without fully understanding it, and a live website with a hilariously not-working JCarousel.

Please shoot me a line at GreatJobSA@gmail.com. Thank you! :)

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Css Animation question. What am I doing wrong here? I'd expect "test" to move up and down slowly and forever.

http://jsfiddle.net/a9zGQ/

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 22, 2014

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Dirty Frank posted:

Css Animation question. What am I doing wrong here? I'd expect "test" to move up and down slowly and forever.

http://jsfiddle.net/a9zGQ/
You're attempting to use margin-top on a span, which is inline and only has left and right margins. If you change it to a div it works fine.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Alligator posted:

You're attempting to use margin-top on a span, which is inline and only has left and right margins. If you change it to a div it works fine.

FFS, thanks Alligator.

How about this?

http://jsfiddle.net/m97s7/

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_animated_properties

tells me: "font-weight: yes, as a font weight"

so I tried both font-weight: normal etc. and font-weight: 100 etc. Neither seem to work.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 22, 2014

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dirty Frank posted:

FFS, thanks Alligator.

How about this?

http://jsfiddle.net/m97s7/

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_animated_properties

tells me: "font-weight: yes, as a font weight"

so I tried both font-weight: normal etc. and font-weight: 100 etc. Neither seem to work.

Chrome seems to ignore font-weight, while Firefox just jumps from normal to bold in an animation.
This was probably a decision on the browser developers's part, since browsers don't really have any good "mid-bold" rendering at the moment, so it's just going to be an abrupt jump between font weights.
Something with text-shadow might get a similar effect, but for now, there's really not much that can be done. Webkit browsers have text-stroke, so you might want to try that out as an alternative.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

obstipator posted:

Chrome seems to ignore font-weight, while Firefox just jumps from normal to bold in an animation.
This was probably a decision on the browser developers's part, since browsers don't really have any good "mid-bold" rendering at the moment, so it's just going to be an abrupt jump between font weights.
Something with text-shadow might get a similar effect, but for now, there's really not much that can be done. Webkit browsers have text-stroke, so you might want to try that out as an alternative.

The problem is likely due to the fact that that font simply does not have that many weights. Firefox traditionally is quite happy to create hideous faux bold styles (though iirc it has two settings for fonts without actual bold glyphs: normal or bold), but Chrome does not to the same extent.

Either way, I doubt any browser will be able to make a smooth transition between all those weights even if they did exist.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

So basically its a bad idea even if it did work, fair enough. Thanks guys.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a name for the "make a container fill the whole height of a screen" thing? Like when a site header fills the whole screen and then the next section comes into view as soon as you start scrolling. eg: https://ghost.org/

I've been doing it with jQuery like this, but wondered if there was a more standard approach:

code:
if ($('#container').height() < $(window).height()){
  $('#container'.height($(window).height());
}
Also thanks for the responses re IE8 compatibility a few pages back. Realised I forgot to respond after my initial post (how frightfully rude :ohdear: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I dunno if there's a name for it but they're just using min-height: 100% and background-size: cover to achieve it.