Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Drifter posted:

What happens. Do they let it?
Sadly no. If you suggest your dog as a champion Eamon will say "I'm afraid we can't leave the fate of all Ferelden up to your dog. Anyone with a leftover ham bone could buy his allegiance. Choose someone else."
The tone at which he says that is brilliant, you can hear the facepalm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The hat is back. Day one purchase!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I hope the hat is available for all classes because the dragon helmet is not doing it for me.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Sadly no. If you suggest your dog as a champion Eamon will say "I'm afraid we can't leave the fate of all Ferelden up to your dog. Anyone with a leftover ham bone could buy his allegiance. Choose someone else."
The tone at which he says that is brilliant, you can hear the facepalm.

If you suggest Shale Loghain is just like "oh thats not loving fair."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought Shale was a cute character. Pretty funny to have as a companion.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Are there actually people who think the horse armor preorder bonus doesn't rule?

KoB
May 1, 2009

oatgan posted:

Are there actually people who think the horse armor preorder bonus doesn't rule?

People are getting mad at "Horse Armor" as if its 2006.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

People are getting mad at "Horse Armor" as if its 2006.

Back when their standards were higher.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
So there was an interview with AusGamers magazine (http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3432915) with one of the devs about stuff from importing saves to romances.

This game will have "set" sexualities, gay, straight and bisexual, which is freaking people out to no end (at least on tumblr and twitter). I want to screw that ghost!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drifter posted:

Back when their standards were higher.

$5 for horse armor back when DLC was barely a thing, and free horse armor for preorders are already not equivocal. Theres plenty of actual bullshit DLC to get mad about! Theyre just mad because HORSE ARMOR:argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SgtSteel91 posted:

I hope the hat is available for all classes because the dragon helmet is not doing it for me.

Tying into this, I'm curious how they're going to handle gear in general. The Inquisition class page links that hat to a mage but that sword looks like a warrior's. Is the hat classless? Is that a mage with a gently caress-off sword? Is this game going to let us wear anything like some RPGs or are some classes going to be locked out of certain pieces of gear because of stat or class requirements? The previous games have mostly had stat based requirements, with DA:O having strength largely be the determiner and DA2 using your class's primary stats. I mean I doubt they've gotten away from it entirely, but I'm seeing a lot less plate in this game than before so are outfits more flexible?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Leelee posted:

So there was an interview with AusGamers magazine (http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3432915) with one of the devs about stuff from importing saves to romances.

This game will have "set" sexualities, gay, straight and bisexual, which is freaking people out to no end (at least on tumblr and twitter). I want to screw that ghost!

I thought this was something Gaider said he didn't want to go back to? He was a big proponent of trying to make things as open as possible to all possible sexualities. Maybe he got overruled?

Personally, I'm fine with set sexualities for characters, just like I'm fine with them having other character traits pre-set.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 23, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Leelee posted:

That's weird, didn't the lead developer guy say that he wanted romance option characters to continue being playersexual?

KoB posted:

$5 for horse armor back when DLC was barely a thing, and free horse armor for preorders are already not equivocal. Theres plenty of actual bullshit DLC to get mad about! Theyre just mad because HORSE ARMOR:argh:

This game actually has less bullshit DLC than the previous installments, which had several party members that were day one DLC!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DentedLamp posted:

I imagine that with the more... JRPG elements Bioware has recently been adding to their games, players will just end up fighting a Literal God, a la the FF series.

So in Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, the end boss is nearly a goddess already, and you can fight one of the demon princes in a bonus dungeon. You can ascend to godhood.

Being able to fight gods has nothing to do with JRPG elements, Bioware let you do it more than a decade ago.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

Tying into this, I'm curious how they're going to handle gear in general. The Inquisition class page links that hat to a mage but that sword looks like a warrior's. Is the hat classless? Is that a mage with a gently caress-off sword? Is this game going to let us wear anything like some RPGs or are some classes going to be locked out of certain pieces of gear because of stat or class requirements? The previous games have mostly had stat based requirements, with DA:O having strength largely be the determiner and DA2 using your class's primary stats. I mean I doubt they've gotten away from it entirely, but I'm seeing a lot less plate in this game than before so are outfits more flexible?

I think it's because one of the new Specializations for the Mage Class is an Arcane Warrior type that allows a mage to use weapons and magic.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lotish posted:

I think they said that weapons wont be bound to classes anymore. Maybe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

Didn't they confirm that the gear wasn't tied to class anymore? Likely due to complaints that most of the gear from DAII was completely useless since Hawke could only use one third of it and nobody else could customize beyond weapons.

Also, I'm glad to see the player-sexual romance ending. Romance sidequests are already pandering enough without every NPC trying to get into your pants. If somebody has a sexual orientation, make it part of their character instead of just so every possible combination of gender exists for horny players. For the love of the Maker, do not throw in backstory sexual abuse to retcon Orientatin-X into a prexisting character who never displayed any inclination towards it again or go the Isabela route and make their entire lives revolve around it. I'd gladly take fanboy/girl rage over not getting their proper wifu if that means we have some better character development.

Edit: VVV That just makes sense.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 23, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

I think they said that weapons wont be bound to classes anymore. Maybe.

I could see them being bound to subclasses, though.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Leelee posted:

I thought this was a good interview - the dev hypes up the game a bit but there is some interesting stuff. Notably: Leliana is the leader of the spying part of the Inquisition and the other sections of it are Military and Politics. And it seems like the Necromancer mage specialization is meant to be the evil-ish (or at least morally grey) replacement for Blood Magic which the dev describes as being a very evil power done by crazy mages that would conflict with other elements.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

The trailer looks like pretty standard fare to me but if Bioware confirm (and show) it will have the same kind of multiplayer as ME3 I will be preordering the poo poo out of it!

I must have spent upwards of 200 hours just playing the multiplayer of ME3 compared to probably 1.5 run throughs of the single player totalling like 15 hours or something, the way that the enemies, characters and weapons were balanced was pretty great.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Drifter posted:

The red choice is Morrigan's son, the blue choice is Varric, the Green choice is you!

Pfft, an amnesiac who emerges from the fade rift, the pc obviously is Morrigan's son

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Not sure to what degree of irony you guys are saying it anymore but I really want to gently caress that ghost

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

steakmancer posted:

Not sure to what degree of irony you guys are saying it anymore but I really want to gently caress that ghost

Sorry to break it to you, but said ghost was completely asexual in the book he came from.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Torrannor posted:

So in Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, the end boss is nearly a goddess already, and you can fight one of the demon princes in a bonus dungeon. You can ascend to godhood.

Being able to fight gods has nothing to do with JRPG elements, Bioware let you do it more than a decade ago.

But you were a demigod/potential god yourself in the BG series; the scale is different when you're "just" the "regular" mortals (or so we shall hope) that serve as the DA protagonists.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

Sorry to break it to you, but said ghost was completely asexual in the book he came from.

Maybe we can at least go to his crypt and pee in his offerings bowl?

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Geostomp posted:

What is the sexuality of the book?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Geostomp posted:

Not to mention he's severely emotionally traumatized and is the mental age of a child.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DrakePegasus posted:

Not to mention he's severely emotionally traumatized and is the mental age of a child.

Like that will stop the BSN.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DrakePegasus posted:

"But see, TECHNICALLY he's an adult," is what Bioware fans will say.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

DrakePegasus posted:

severely emotionally traumatized and is the mental age of a child.

Uh we're talking about the characters, not the people who post about them

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

StashAugustine posted:

Like that will stop the BSN.

Time to start planning out THOSE mods.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DentedLamp posted:

I imagine that with the more... JRPG elements Bioware has recently been adding to their games, players will just end up fighting a Literal God, a la the FF series.

I'm always up for a little deicide, and The Maker's been either an rear end in a top hat or a leech for the entirety of the setting so far, so I'm in favor of putting the screws to 'm, myself.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

I'm always up for a little deicide, and The Maker's been either an rear end in a top hat or a leech for the entirety of the setting so far, so I'm in favor of putting the screws to 'm, myself.

Never not kill God at the end of the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Compendium posted:

Time to start planning out THOSE mods.

Bioware really WANTED to be able to kill kids in their game, but lacked the fortitude to do it so instead created a post-dead, mentally child-like adult.

The mod should make the ghost a dog. Then you'd have a talking dog. That'd be awesome.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Lotish posted:

I thought this was something Gaider said he didn't want to go back to? He was a big proponent of trying to make things as open as possible to all possible sexualities. Maybe he got overruled?

I was under this impression as well (well, I don't know about "all possible sexualities", but at least strongly preferring bisexual romances). But I'm not sure where I got that from, and after googling it a bit, it's definitely wrong. In fact, I gather that he dislikes it - not so much the bisexuality specifically, but the availability of all romances to all player characters, at least; followers are supposed to be independent people with their own motives and preferences, which is diminished when they're all always romantically available to the PC.

What he's definitely opposed to is marginalizing groups with limited choice; what he definitely does not want to go back to is DA:O where same sex means you only have one option. He supports having all romances bisexual from an efficiency standpoint - it's only a little bit more work to make them that way, which means you can have more than one choice for each gender pairing without having to write romances for more characters (or allowing you to invest more effort writing deeper romances for fewer characters).

So either Gaider was overruled, or there are more than just four romances.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Oh god, it's happening, I'm seriously considering preordering. Every loving time they say they've changed, every time I end up believing them, and every time I end up burned and swearing to myself that this is the last time, and it never is.

Probably gonna get the Collector's Edition too, it's just $10 more.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Spikeguy posted:

Eh, I save up my money and never pre-order anything. I have no regrets. Besides, I like supporting Bioware.

Fair enough. I suppose this way you're also eligible for the origin return policy thing. If you bought through GMG you'd be stuck since they won't/can't refund anything.

I will say this, though: :siren: THE GAME WON'T BE OUT FOR FIVE MONTHS, YOU CAN STILL PREORDER A WEEK BEFORE LAUNCH WHEN WE ACTUALLY KNOW -SOMETHING- ABOUT THE GAME :siren:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Oh god, it's happening, I'm seriously considering preordering. Every loving time they say they've changed, every time I end up believing them, and every time I end up burned and swearing to myself that this is the last time, and it never is.

Probably gonna get the Collector's Edition too, it's just $10 more.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

I almost hope the game sucks, just to watch people like you get upset in the week following the release.

:laugh:

At least wait for a few more months when you actually can see stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

I almost hope the game sucks, just to watch people like you get upset in the week following the release.

:laugh:

At least wait for a few more months when you actually can see stuff.

I pre-ordered DA:O, DA2, ME2 and 3.

Never again. I'll probably rent DA:I and play though it in a weekend, but in reality I won't buy it until the Ultimate edition with all the DLC is released for $40ish a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
You might be disappointed. I don't think any game since DA:O has had an ultimate edition thingy. Look at ME2 and ME3: even in the big Trilogy pack they're still sold without most of the DLC.

• Locked thread