Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Well you see it was making this annoying, angry beeping noise and flashing... that was distracting so...

That was basically the reason, some people did maintance on it a few months ago and forgot to reset the alarm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

death .cab for qt posted:

One dude at work trouble shoots stuff by changing DNS settings to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 and doesn't change it back, then at some point we stumble across it because somebody sends in a ticket about connection issues. Lo and behold, changing the DNS server back to the DC like it is supposed to be or our setups will magically give it a 192 address instead of 169.

I can't think of a single reason why that would be the case. Anyone got an idea?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Caged posted:

I can't think of a single reason why that would be the case. Anyone got an idea?

The connectivity can kind of make sense to me if they're trying to resolve internal machine names. But no, DHCP not working because the DNS servers are set to something other than the DC is absolutely insane. I thought that was one of the whole points of DHCP is that you can specify whatever crazy DNS servers you want and still be able to pull an IP from DHCP.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

I can see why that would cause issues with domain logins and poo poo like that since it wouldn't be able to find the server record, but DHCP traffic is all done via broadcast so an incorrect DNS server shouldn't interfere. The server identifies itself by hardware address; hostnames shouldn't be entering the mix at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I manually configure a DNS server on my router (connected to my cable modem) as Googles DNS, I get a totally different public IP and no internet connectivity.

It must somehow be getting a DNS server over DHCP and then pulling some sort of configuration setting which changes everything again.

This is where I learned the right and wrong place to set the DNS server that the router gives out via DHCP.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

That was basically the reason, some people did maintance on it a few months ago and forgot to reset the alarm

I was... being sarcastic? Oh god, my terrible IT decision senses have reached a new level. SnarkaShooting

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This was posted in the healthcare thread as advice for working with psych patients. Reading it I realized it would be just as useful for working with terrible bosses!

Thora posted:

Phrases that will be helpful:
I'd like to hear more about that, but first I need to know X (especially during an intake when you need specific information).
You have all the power here to determine the outcome of this situation (eg patient wont give up their cell phone, has a broken off fork tine in their mouth and is threatening to swallow it). What happens next is up to you (security being called, IM meds, etc).
This conversation is not productive and I see you are getting upset. Is there anything else I can do for you.

Other things:
Don't turn a situation into a power struggle.
Always give someone an opportunity to have an out/way to save face.
Offer a choice between X and Y.
If someone tells you something really bizarre, don't argue with them about it. It is their reality at the moment.
You can't change people, you can only change your reaction to the situation.
You are going to see and hear things that make you uncomfortable.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

This was posted in the healthcare thread as advice for working with psych patients. Reading it I realized it would be just as useful for working with terrible bosses!

Thora posted:

Other things:
Don't turn a situation into a power struggle.
Always give someone an opportunity to have an out/way to save face.
Offer a choice between X and Y.
If someone tells you something really bizarre, don't argue with them about it. It is their reality at the moment.
You are going to see and hear things that make you uncomfortable.

These are straight up rules for talking to toddlers

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Like I said... :froggonk:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Psych Patients and Terrible Bosses are one degree of separation away from each other. One's probably a decent person on bad times and under inmmeasurable stress without the appropriate support systems... the other is your boss.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Sonicwall's at all of our 9 branch locations + our main office decided today that port 9100 printer traffic going over our VPNs where attempts at the infamous Heartbleed exploit. They would randomly block some packets going to each printer.

The half completed print jobs caused printers all around the company to start spewing out pages and pages of random garbage until they ran out of paper.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

This has been my approach to finding out that the school that I computer janitor for part time will be buying 90 or so more iPads, which will more than double the number of devices I'll be supporting. And we still don't have wifi yet! I am choosing to stay calm and let it play out while avoiding any poo poo when it inevitably hits the fan.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've never used one but isn't an iPad without Wifi just a very expensive book?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Books don't make you look prestigious or innovative, especially in a school environment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thora posted:

has a broken off fork tine in their mouth and is threatening to swallow it

FINE! I'll come in 4 hours early to cover a shift. Dammit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stubblyhead posted:

I can see why that would cause issues with domain logins and poo poo like that since it wouldn't be able to find the server record, but DHCP traffic is all done via broadcast so an incorrect DNS server shouldn't interfere. The server identifies itself by hardware address; hostnames shouldn't be entering the mix at all.

Ok, I'm glad I'm not crazy on this one.

Bob Morales posted:

If I manually configure a DNS server on my router (connected to my cable modem) as Googles DNS, I get a totally different public IP and no internet connectivity.

It must somehow be getting a DNS server over DHCP and then pulling some sort of configuration setting which changes everything again.

This is where I learned the right and wrong place to set the DNS server that the router gives out via DHCP.

That seems totally hosed, because ideally you do set the DNS stuff on the router side, so that you don't have to worry about it on every single device. It sounds like your ISP is doing something hosed and it seems like pretty out-of-spec with their DHCP.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

stevewm posted:

The half completed print jobs caused printers all around the company to start spewing out pages and pages of random garbage until they ran out of paper.

That wasn't a bug, that was a new attack called Inkbleed.

Stoca Zola posted:

This has been my approach to finding out that the school that I computer janitor for part time will be buying 90 or so more iPads ... And we still don't have wifi yet!

Well obviously the solution is to buy the cellular models and an unlimited data plan for each one so everyone can VPN in to our internal network and oh by the way you're going to support it all. :sun:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Cenodoxus posted:

That wasn't a bug, that was a new attack called Inkbleed.

I can imagine printer supply salesmen drooling at the prospect of making that attack, assuming they aren't already in the process of doing it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Personally I agree with you and would never buy one without cell broadband, but they have their uses.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have some users with netbooks that we are replacing with those Asus T100's. Ugh. So glad I have only one more day at this place

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Not only are we still on xp ( if you know the right people you can get a 7 box but the default response is "that's not a supported configuration" which is ironic given the lack of xp support as of this month) but it occurred to me to check our iis farms out the other day and they're server 2003 and iis 6.

They were built from scratch in 2010, how the poo poo did this happen?

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Not only are we still on xp ( if you know the right people you can get a 7 box but the default response is "that's not a supported configuration" which is ironic given the lack of xp support as of this month) but it occurred to me to check our iis farms out the other day and they're server 2003 and iis 6.

What I run in to all the time is "this is broken so we need an exact copy of it regardless of what it costs". PC died? Get a newer one but it'd better be running the exact same old versions of all this software we use because upgrading to a newer version means the terrorists have won. I had to fight to install Server 2012 R2 on a bunch of new servers we bought this year. They wanted me to install 2008 (not even R2!) because "that's what the old ones ran and why would we change?".

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Today I got yelled at for all the stuff I couldn't do when I was told to work on "SUPER OMG IMPORTANT WTF" project" and "don't worry about that other stuff."

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

nitrogen posted:

Today I got yelled at for all the stuff I couldn't do when I was told to work on "SUPER OMG IMPORTANT WTF" project" and "don't worry about that other stuff."

Let's start an "Rules for IT Folks" list. I'll start off with a couple and we can add to it.

Rule 1: gently caress printers. Always
Rule 2: Get it in writing
Rule 3: Make a copy of everything, especially anything regarding Rule 2

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Fight with issue off and on for a day, then finally reach a breaking point and contact their customer service, only for the issue to disappear moments after I open the ticket...

e: Alright cool it wasn't resolved, just appeared to be, good stuff good stuff. Still, I shouldn't have to fight with this program SO MUCH to get it to do what, I think, is its entire purpose.

Ah yes, the good ol' Heisenbug.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Rule 3: Make a copy of everything, especially anything regarding Rule 2
A paper copy?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Ha. I caught a coworker building a 2003 terminal server in 2011.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

poo poo pissing me off: people bypassing the help desk and going up the ladder. And it works because nobody up the line says "call the helpdesk leave me alone" they say "sure we'll fix it". The other day we got forwarded an email that was sent to a manager. It said "help! i can't print!" (and that was it, obviously, who needs even basic details).

Anyway there's not really much I can do about it but it's bullshit.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

^^^^ Rule 4: An exception to the rule quickly becomes the rule itself.

Rule 5: If your boss says it's urgent, it's probably urgent. If a user says it's urgent, they're probably full of poo poo.

Whatever number this ends at, the last one has to be PDTN.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
6. Always CYA when starting a ticket, then again when finishing.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Caged posted:

Unless it were somehow possible to name the DHCP server by name and renewal failed, I cannot fathom - it had nothing to do with it. If you are taking tunnel adapter or something weird than who knows. If DHCP lease is based on registered host and ping and you are off in the ether and it conflicts, who knows.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Cenodoxus posted:

Rule 5: If your boss says it's urgent, it's probably urgent. If a user says it's urgent, they're probably full of poo poo.

Not necessarily true. I have had bosses who were complete panic merchants and needed to be talked down from the ledge on occasion regarding how important issue X was.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
gently caress spam filters. We've been using GFI maxmail or whatever the gently caress they call it these days. 10 users of maybe 500 are getting slammed with maybe 10 of the most obvious spam messages every day. They all come from .EU and all get a spam score of 0, even though 100 more similar attempts are made every day to the same accounts and are appropriately stopped. We've worked with GFI for 6 months and they can't stop the leak.

They say these users are on front end attacks. When their spam filters see something brand new it passes through immediately. Two minutes later the spam engine updates to consider it egregious spam. There are no options anywhere, with any spam filters we've researched since this problem, that can scan unknown messages before simply passing them through, or maybe hold it for two minutes until the engine updates. We've trialed three different services, all let the spam through, and all give us the exact same loving explanation as to why they can't stop it.

And of course the ten effected users are all CEOs, VPs, and execs so we look like chumps.

gently caress.

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

And of course the ten effected users are all CEOs, VPs, and execs so we look like chumps.

gently caress.

I know how this feels. Every users computer in a specific department has no problems except the VP whos computer locks up and freezes on a regular basis.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Rule 7: Never give out your personal number. If you ever have to call an end user with your cell, make sure to dial whatever code to block your caller ID. (*67 for most, if not all carriers in the US. I think I remember someone posting that it's 141 in the UK.)

Rule 8: Do not answer work related stuff while on vacation. You're not getting paid and you're supposed to be taking a break from work. Enjoy your vacation!

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 24, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

TWBalls posted:

Rule 8: Do not answer work related stuff while on vacation. You're not getting paid and you're supposed to be taking a break from work. Enjoy your vacation!

I generalise that to "don't provide professional services for free, ever". If you give people your services for free, they value them less, and value you less by association.

It can be hard to hold this line at times, Especially when you get the old "Everyone is expected to do some work outside hours", but you get a lot more respect if you do, and anyone who tries to strong arm you over it is not worth working for/with.

If it's not in your contract (which I hope you read and negotiated as necessary), it costs extra.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Sir_Substance posted:

I generalise that to "don't provide professional services for free, ever". If you give people your services for free, they value them less, and value you less by association.

Totally agree. I think this can also cover employees asking you to fix their personal poo poo. Charge 3x your hourly wage (or equivalent if salaried), or else they can haul their poo poo to Geeksquad to be told that they need a new PSU and a helium-doped power cord to fix their iTunes crashing or whatever.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I know these are tools that are meant to be used but I'm still amazed at just how poorly work supplied equipment gets treated.

This picture definitely doesn't capture just how gross this handed back laptop is:

You think you'd at least give it a wipe to get some of the grosser grime off before handing back to IT

Also multiple cracks in the screen bezel and wifi antenna cover and broken retaining clips on the battery (in other words every plastic bit on the laptop is now broken)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Honestly if its some old pos which is being replaced theres no point cleaning, and Id be hlad for any more reason to just send it to the dump.