Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Is there a lot of difference between a baking steel and stone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Did my dough a little differently last night... cant tell if I'm having problems or not.

I do a Neapolitan style dough (flour, water, salt, yeast). Typically I use an Active Dry Yeast, and I allow my dough to bulk rice in a container in the fridge for 72hrs.

This time I changed two things up:
- I went with an Instant Dry Yeast rather than the Active Dry yeast that I normally use.
- After kneading I let the dough rise for an hour at room temp, then portioned and balled it onto my trays. Into the fridge from there for 3 days of rising.

What's weirding me out is the lack of rise activity after about 12-14hrs. I woke up this morning expecting to see happy fat risen dough balls but in reality it doesnt look like much is going on. No air bubbles, and the dough is still fairly firm, much more so then when I bulk ferment.

So it would seem counter intuitive, but does it take IDY longer to kick in?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I thought part of the point of a stone was that some of the steam wouldn't get trapped under the pizza up against it, making tbe bottom soggy or whatever? Doesn't the steel have that problem?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Le0 posted:

Is there a lot of difference between a baking steel and stone?
Depends on the stone, but generally yes. Serious eats did a comparison.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I thought part of the point of a stone was that some of the steam wouldn't get trapped under the pizza up against it, making tbe bottom soggy or whatever? Doesn't the steel have that problem?

Only time I've had a soggy bottom (ahahahahaha) is when the dough broke or was completely overloaded with sauce/toppings.

Having used both a stone and a steel, I prefer the steel every time.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Sointenly posted:

Did my dough a little differently last night... cant tell if I'm having problems or not.

I do a Neapolitan style dough (flour, water, salt, yeast). Typically I use an Active Dry Yeast, and I allow my dough to bulk rice in a container in the fridge for 72hrs.

This time I changed two things up:
- I went with an Instant Dry Yeast rather than the Active Dry yeast that I normally use.
- After kneading I let the dough rise for an hour at room temp, then portioned and balled it onto my trays. Into the fridge from there for 3 days of rising.

What's weirding me out is the lack of rise activity after about 12-14hrs. I woke up this morning expecting to see happy fat risen dough balls but in reality it doesnt look like much is going on. No air bubbles, and the dough is still fairly firm, much more so then when I bulk ferment.

So it would seem counter intuitive, but does it take IDY longer to kick in?

That's weird, IDY is supposed to be more potent than ADY. Maybe try blooming a little and see if its alive?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I got my Pizza steel made and picked up today. I was able to give the guy the .dsp files from the old thread and they even did the :chef: engraving on it. When I got it home I gave it a vinegar bath, rinsed it, dried it, quickly gave it a light coat of peanut oil and threw it in the oven to bake at 450 for an hour. I did a quick inspection afterward and I noticed that the seasoning looks kind of uneven, it's got darkish streaks in it where I'm assuming the oil may have been a bit heavier. I went at it pretty hard with some steel wool and couldn't even put a scratch in the heavier seasoning spots. I'm not going to get too anal retentive about it since it's not rust.

First pizza came out fantastic. Did a quick and fast test run using a dough recipe on the back of my yeast packet and threw whatever I had handy on it which turned out to be pepperoni and onion. Got the steel up to heat and broiled the pizza at 500F for about 4 minutes and that sucker was done. Came out not too bad. Still getting a feel for it so the dough was thicker than I wanted it to be and it was a touch too salty, but that can be corrected in the future. I put corn meal on my peel and I still had some issues with it deforming when I tried to transfer it to the steel.

If I remember tomorrow afternoon I'll try to post some crumb shots.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

That's weird, IDY is supposed to be more potent than ADY. Maybe try blooming a little and see if its alive?

Yea so I pulled this dough out yesterday and it was incredible, i'm definitely going to continue with the IDY and portioning/balling before i proof.

Again, this is my typical neo dough that i always do, but with this method of proofing I had a much airier dough / crust.

What I also find weird is that I never let my dough rest or come up to room temp before I spin my pies and they're also super easy to stretch. Seriously every recipe I see calls for 1-several hours of resting at room temp before you attempt to stretch the dough, I've never found this to be necessary. I'm assuming this is because of the long 3 day ferments I do.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I just got some sourdough starter from a friend. Anybody have a good sourdough pizza recipe?

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Bubbacub posted:

I just got some sourdough starter from a friend. Anybody have a good sourdough pizza recipe?

This guys got one http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've been tasked with making a mac and cheese pizza today. Right now my thought process is to make a cheddar/motz/parm cheese sauce using sodium citrate and just top a dough with that, some noodles and chorizo.

Good or bad idea? The other option would be to make a thinner cheddar mac and cheese, do an oil and garlic sauce and have the mac and cheese be just a topping with regular motz/parm.

I am going to cook it in a cast iron pan rather than deal with a probably super heavy pizza and a peel/steel.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
You're trying too hard, keep it simple:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Should have taken a picture, I did the citrate cheese sauce with mac and chorizo and topped the pizza in bread crumbs, cooked for about 14 minutes at 600. Amazing browning on the top and nice crunchy, but a bit overdone, dough.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tried a sourdough crust, but I don't think my starter was old enough to impart very much tangy flavor. Still really tasty though, the texture of the crust was perfect.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I have a real big cast iron skillet. Is there any reason I couldn't just flip it upside down and use it as a pizza stone?

I see the links on the last page, but I don't really want to do a dish thing. I mean letting the iron heat up in the oven and using the bottom as a normal stone.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Don't see a reason it wouldn't work. I think someone in the pizza steel purchasing thread said something about buying a sheet of cast iron and using it. Give it a shot and report back...what's the worst that can happen? An OK pizza?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

I have a real big cast iron skillet. Is there any reason I couldn't just flip it upside down and use it as a pizza stone?

I see the links on the last page, but I don't really want to do a dish thing. I mean letting the iron heat up in the oven and using the bottom as a normal stone.

Seems like it would be easier to just make it inside the pan, like this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

i was surprised how good this turns out, very easy too!

unless this is what you were talking about being on the last page, sorry

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 11, 2014

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've tried that foolproof pan pizza a couple times, and while it's ridiculously simple, I feel that by the time the top is done, the bottom never gets crispy enough. I think it takes way too much time to heat the cast iron properly. Would an aluminium or other light pan give me a crispier crust on the bottom?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I use a cast iron pan for my pizzas, so I'd imagine that it would be fine.

angor posted:

I've tried that foolproof pan pizza a couple times, and while it's ridiculously simple, I feel that by the time the top is done, the bottom never gets crispy enough. I think it takes way too much time to heat the cast iron properly. Would an aluminium or other light pan give me a crispier crust on the bottom?

You could try putting it on the stove for a minute or two after baking, that might help.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Report: It worked absolutely perfectly.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gann Jerrod posted:

You could try putting it on the stove for a minute or two after baking, that might help.

That's actually written into the last step of the recipe, if needed. I've made the recipe a couple times and needed to. Just depends on your oven and all that fun stuff. It's great to get it nice and crisp on the stove though, and only takes another minute or two.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
A couple of quick questions:
1. If the dough is goign all cobwebby when I roll it out/handle it, what have I done wrong?
2. When rolled out and in the tray, should I leave it before putting toppings on and cooking it?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is it OK to post pizza that isn't home made? This is Chicken Tikka Masala pizza with onion, tomato, fresh green onion and cilantro

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Depends if you got it from an independent place that really tries hard

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Made 5 little pizzas tonight. First time I've done this in 5 years or something. Don't know why I waited so long, they turned out so good.

That one's lunch for tomorrow. We just used an upside-down cast iron skillet and whole wheat flour for lubrication. No problems.

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

I've found it works pretty well (and this is the way I saw it being suggested earlier in this thread and elsewhere) to do this before baking, instead of after; this has a similar effect to preheating your pizza stone and it always came out really crisp and perfect for me (except the one time I set the stove to high and left it on just long enough to totally blacken the bottom. Don't do that!).

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Any suggestions on a pizza peel brand / label?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bartlebee posted:

Any suggestions on a pizza peel brand / label?

It's just a giant wooden spatula - get something cheap that's been reasonably sanded.

(Okay, I guess my opinion would be: get wooden as opposed to metal)

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Go to bed bath and beyond. I got mine for like 25 and it's well made.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Metal all the way

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I find a slimmer, slightly laminated wood works best. Mine is from epicure or something like that.

However, if you try the parchment paper for the first minute trick, it's almost irrelevant what you use.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011
Rucola, should I add it before or after the oven?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

In currently using an epicurean pizza peel but I don't know if I would recommend it. It does the job fine, but it's rated at far lower temperatures than the 550f I'm cooking at, and that's worrisome since I have absolutely no idea what materials went into making the thing.

It hasn't shown any signs of damage, but I would prefer to use a solid wood or metal peel.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Has anybody used the EXO peel?

http://www.amazon.com/EXO-Super-Pizza-Solid-White/dp/B001T6OVPO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk786qxqfL4

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

That's cute and all but at the end of the day you are spending 64 dollars on a loving pizza peel.

Put parchment paper on a cheap peel, build your pizza directly on that, trim, and use the muscles of your wrist and arm to slide the pizza into your oven. Use leftover money to buy great beer to go with your delicious pizza that you made without expensive gimmicks.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Che Delilas posted:

That's cute and all but at the end of the day you are spending 64 dollars on a loving pizza peel.

Put parchment paper on a cheap peel, build your pizza directly on that, trim, and use the muscles of your wrist and arm to slide the pizza into your oven. Use leftover money to buy great beer to go with your delicious pizza that you made without expensive gimmicks.
I parbake on parchment for about 2 minutes, then build my pizza and slide it on to the steel. But I could probably get a better crust if I went straight to the steel, and I have never been great at transferring. Kind of gimmicky but if it works and doesn't break it could be money well spent.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Easychair Bootson posted:

I parbake on parchment for about 2 minutes, then build my pizza and slide it on to the steel. But I could probably get a better crust if I went straight to the steel, and I have never been great at transferring. Kind of gimmicky but if it works and doesn't break it could be money well spent.

Before you spend the money, try improvising. Measure out a piece of parchment paper about 2.5 times the length of your peel. Cover the top of your peel, with the remaining 1.5 lengths of paper hanging over the front. Build your pizza directly on the paper that's on the peel.

Then, when you're moving to the oven, fold the paper over the front edge and back up underneath, and tuck it up under the fingers of your hand that's holding the peel. Basically you've got the same conveyor belt arrangement that the super-peel-thing has, only it's open-ended, single-use, not permanently attached to the peel. Place the front end of the peel on the back of the baking steel and pull on the parchment paper on the underside, so that the top part of the paper slides forward and deposits your pizza, just like the super-peel-thing.

Personally I just bake the entire pizza fully on the parchment paper, and my crusts come out pretty nice. But I use a stone, not a steel, so who knows?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Some goons have sung its praises here in the past, so I think it does what it claims to.

Personally I wouldn't buy one because I find the challenge of learning how to handle a pizza on the peel part of the enjoyment of making pizza.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Che Delilas posted:

Before you spend the money, try improvising. Measure out a piece of parchment paper about 2.5 times the length of your peel. Cover the top of your peel, with the remaining 1.5 lengths of paper hanging over the front. Build your pizza directly on the paper that's on the peel.

Then, when you're moving to the oven, fold the paper over the front edge and back up underneath, and tuck it up under the fingers of your hand that's holding the peel. Basically you've got the same conveyor belt arrangement that the super-peel-thing has, only it's open-ended, single-use, not permanently attached to the peel. Place the front end of the peel on the back of the baking steel and pull on the parchment paper on the underside, so that the top part of the paper slides forward and deposits your pizza, just like the super-peel-thing.

Personally I just bake the entire pizza fully on the parchment paper, and my crusts come out pretty nice. But I use a stone, not a steel, so who knows?

Seconding this, I do it exactly in the same way, no semolina and or other poo poo, just paper on the peel. Put dough ingredients then in the oven. It's very easy to handle like this and does not stick to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteiniDJ
Jun 20, 2013

varjoankka posted:

Rucola, should I add it before or after the oven?

I have never seen a pizza baked with rucola on top; it usually goes on afterwards.