Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That would help the poor ATGM jeeps yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hubis posted:

Yes. Also, I think anything that counts as a "Technical" should be given "Medium" stealth.

This would be pretty cool actually.

Schnaufer
Feb 3, 2014

SK60B confirmed for absolutely disgusting.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Elukka posted:

Nope. It was a major deal in turning forests from doomforts into obstacles that can be pushed through with reasonable time and effort. It also made it way more possible to push through something like I-TOW jeeps that in EE could very well just block a tank advance on their own. It made ATGM vehicles in general support for tanks rather than frontline replacements for them.

I always thought Hamburger Hill was a huge slog in EE and would have worked great in ALB but then they went and removed all the forests and made it imbalanced and dull.

Infantry not universally being equipped with AP 20+ AT weapons also helped a lot. Sometimes the combination of both can feel like overkill.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Also, cutting down on ATGM AP in general. Every T-64B had the Hellfire's AP in EE and high end ATGMs were the equivalents of top tier plane missiles.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

VendoViper posted:

The more I play RD the more I am enjoying it. I don't know if it is entirely related to changes in game mechanics or due to personal growth, I am closing in on over 300 hours for the series, but I really enjoy taking cities. So showing up second doesn't bother me at all, especially if I remembered to bring a flame tank with my opener :getin:. Win or lose I really will enjoy a match as long as I have ruined some pub lord's sim city.

To be fair, this works for me mostly because I am abusing USSR's absurd auto-cannons on the BTRs. There's not a lot that a single player can land at the start that will repel a half-dozen squads of Spetsnaz in BTR-80a with BRDM-3, Zhalos, and TOR in support.

The Heli-rush land-grab meta is really stupid at this point, though, since the easiest counter is "bring iron bombers/rocket artillery at the start and just flatten the enemy wherever they choose to concentrate".

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Schnaufer posted:

SK60B confirmed for absolutely disgusting.

I'm guessing the intended target was that tank? Yowzas, no more baby nighthawks for us.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Elukka posted:

Nope. It was a major deal in turning forests from doomforts into obstacles that can be pushed through with reasonable time and effort. It also made it way more possible to push through something like I-TOW jeeps that in EE could very well just block a tank advance on their own. It made ATGM vehicles in general support for tanks rather than frontline replacements for them.

I always thought Hamburger Hill was a huge slog in EE and would have worked great in ALB but then they went and removed all the forests and made it imbalanced and dull.

with the current power of artillery and iron bombs, I question how much of a concern this is now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm guessing the intended target was that tank? Yowzas, no more baby nighthawks for us.

I think this might be the Evac Winchester screwing with semi-guided missiles.
Edit: Nevermind I just tried it. These planes are hosed.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 23, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Testing it right now and it looks bad. 8 misses from 4 vet ones, for example. Got one hit from 12 rookie shots.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The SK60 is broken when it comes to blind firing. It fires the missile, but stops aiming right after, which means that since it's a SA missile, the missile ends up flying the gently caress off target. It's been like this for a long time.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Dezztroy posted:

The SK60 is broken when it comes to blind firing. It fires the missile, but stops aiming right after, which means that since it's a SA missile, the missile ends up flying the gently caress off target. It's been like this for a long time.

They were at least usable in ALB since the missiles would at least impact in the general vicinity of the target. Made for some funny collateral damage kills.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ArchangeI posted:

That is exactly the reason. Now they come in Humvees, which offer much more space.
Nope they removed Humvees as a choice for Marines in a later ALB patch and they never got em back in RD.

xthetenth posted:

It's really weird having infantry get remorselessly wrecked by light tanks (especially in campaigns because oh my god the vet the computer gets) because they take a shot before the infantry kills them.
I still think it's a little silly that a single tank shell can wipe out like 7/8 guys in a squad in a single shot.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Insert name here posted:

I still think it's a little silly that a single tank shell can wipe out like 7/8 guys in a squad in a single shot.

Per shot or per volley? Because I''ve only seen 7-8 guys go away when I have 4 squads of infantry in one group fired at by 4 tanks in one group.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Per shot; I've definitely seen whole platoons lose half+ their strength after a group of tanks takes a pot-shot at them.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Nato confirmed mad: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95136905/replay_2014-04-23_23-51-52.wargamerpl2

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dezztroy posted:

Really? I didn't think I was running into that kind of trouble with them in ALB. Or at least, no trouble that couldn't be fixed by--God, I would kill for this--some kind of "attack area" command for planes that goes "Okay, fly over here and attack whatever's currently spotted." Or something else that fixes "We lost sight of the particular target we were going to shoot at for a second and completely forgot what we were supposed to be doing."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chantilly Say posted:

Really? I didn't think I was running into that kind of trouble with them in ALB. Or at least, no trouble that couldn't be fixed by--God, I would kill for this--some kind of "attack area" command for planes that goes "Okay, fly over here and attack whatever's currently spotted." Or something else that fixes "We lost sight of the particular target we were going to shoot at for a second and completely forgot what we were supposed to be doing."

I'd love to be able to set ROE. Don't fly here, attack these kinds of targets, loiiter and strafe, that kind of thing. Even having a goddamn cessna with a smoke grenade launcher calling targets would be better than the initiativeless idiots they have flying planes right now.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
My favorite is when you tell a bomber to attack the ground, they sometimes end up doing a gun run instead of dropping even a single bomb. :downs:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'd love to be able to set ROE. Don't fly here, attack these kinds of targets, loiiter and strafe, that kind of thing. Even having a goddamn cessna with a smoke grenade launcher calling targets would be better than the initiativeless idiots they have flying planes right now.

Well that's sort of the limitation of having some lines of code fly your planes, rather than an actual pilot.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Well that's sort of the limitation of having some lines of code fly your planes, rather than an actual pilot.

Without being too insane, they could port attack-move into planes. As long as move queuing worked fine for planes (AFAIK it's kind of bad) you could give "move over here, then attack the next viable set of targets after you reach a given waypoint" without adding tons of AI.

(i like solutions that make units have more-symmetric commands)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tulip posted:

Without being too insane, they could port attack-move into planes. As long as move queuing worked fine for planes (AFAIK it's kind of bad) you could give "move over here, then attack the next viable set of targets after you reach a given waypoint" without adding tons of AI.

(i like solutions that make units have more-symmetric commands)

I can only see this somehow causing your planes to attack targets that are in thick AA country.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Really wish that you could right-click and drag planes with an attack order to give them the exact angle/direction you want them to make a strafing/bombing run.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Leif. posted:

Really wish that you could right-click and drag planes with an attack order to give them the exact angle/direction you want them to make a strafing/bombing run.

If you could just hit Q for attack-move, and click-drag across a strip of land, they should be able to code "come in going this direction across this ground and shoot at whatever you see." Some kind of ROE AI that prioritizes higher-value targets might be nice, but shooting at something is still better than flying around like a moron.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So helping BTR with his test-edition for the R-R-R-REALISTIC TANK STATS MOD

Going to choose 1 family for each nation to do as per his stat requests. Thinking I'll just do M1 family for US, T72 family for USSR, Leopard 2 for Germany, Chieftain for UK, Type 59's for China, M48's for SK, Leopard 1 for ANZAC, and then that weird indigenous T62 for SK. Any suggestions for a good baseline Japanese tank? Should I just do the full AMX line for France?

Not touching Scandinavia or NSWP yet.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Doesn't japan only have one real tank line not counting the m48s?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dezztroy posted:

My favorite is when you tell a bomber to attack the ground, they sometimes end up doing a gun run instead of dropping even a single bomb. :downs:

Wasn't there a plane in ALB beta that could blow itself up?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Doesn't japan only have one real tank line not counting the m48s?

That's like saying FRG only has one line of 150kph transports.

The Roku-Ichi is seriously one of the most absurd and unique units in the game. Everybody needs to give them a spin.

e:

Control Volume posted:

That was the IL in the RD beta.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mortabis posted:

Scandinavia needs an AA chopper and a heavy tank but is not likely to get either. I think they should get Strv 122 and some kind of Huey with Stingers strapped to it.

They won't get either but there's some other junk in the pipeline that should at least make it a really fun faction to play. There's a whole bunch of funny Swedish prototypes, of course, plus even more infantry options. There still won't be AA choppers, SEAD or heavy tanks but you should be able to make up for it by being at least decent in most other categories.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the tank aim time could be looked at without breaking the meta. Like I said before, give light tanks or assault guns aim time closer to what they are now to actually give them a use. Right now taking a Centurion is better than taking a support gun every single time because it's better in every way because you don't really care about the gun's AP or accuracy.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Scandinavia/Sweden don't need AA choppers. They get Drakens. At 50 points they're roughly the same price as an AA helicopter and those AA rockets will murder bunched up helicopters just as well as any AA helicopter, but you don't need to resupply them and you can use them to effectively gun down enemy strike aircraft as well. The only disadvantages being that they're not on station permanently so you have to pay attention to prevent helicopter strikes later on in the game and they count as airplanes, so radar SAMs will shoot them down later in the game.

Heavy tanks would be nice, but at least the current S tanks are more then a match for all mid and low end tanks and the ATGM helicopters, vehicles and RBS 56 infantry will deal with any heavy armour you might encounter. S tanks have pretty good armour for their price too, so they can screen for the aforementioned ATGM carriers.
That leaves SEAD as their only real hole. Bring friends and/or Bkans for that.

As for Humvees as transport, doctrine is 4 men per Humvee. Driver, gunner, 2 passengers. It's assumed the gunner is only in the turret when you're about to engage something or are in a particularly high risk area. So that's 2 effective troops per Humvee or 5 Humvees for a 10 man rifleman squad. In real life, they often operate 3 humvees to a squad, giving each squad space for 3 extras, like the platoon commander, his RTO, the PSG and medic in a separate vehicle and maybe a JTAC and/or a FAC.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Control Volume posted:

the F-111C still does this occaissionally.

Anyway, I'd like to present this tool I've been working on. It essentially looks at all of the stats of a tank, rates their relative value and creates an index of the tanks effectiveness. In other words it calculates a price tag.

On sheet two you can see a bunch of tank lines I've priced using the latest version. Sheet one is where all the fun is, but you will need to download it to use it.

here you go

It's definitely a WIP. HEAT doesn't change anything at the moment, some of the values need tweaking and I want to better deal with ATGM pricing (a lovely ATGM on a lovely cheap tank is worth proportionally more than a "good" ATGM like a svir on a high end tank) but there's no accounting for that yet except a ratio box which produces weird numbers and isn't connected to anything.

edit: slightly relevent given the existing discussion but I'm pretty sure it has the default stats in as the STRV-103C

I would be very grateful for any feedback provided, so that I can refine it better. At the moment I think it's stretching out the very top end a little too much but I'm mostly happy with it. The biggest problem with the stretched top end is that it's compressing the middle/lower end perhaps a little too much.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 24, 2014

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Leif. posted:

This sounds akin to the World in Conflict system of placing the strafe zone on the map. Which was kind of meh.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They were :( It being totally unadjustable really made the Anti-tank jets annoying to use. "Where will these guys be in 11 seconds? LOL LETS FIND OUT"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

quote:

This sounds akin to the World in Conflict system of placing the strafe zone on the map. Which was kind of meh.
Have it auto stick to a target unit if its spotted

If airplanes were smarter it would help make planez less derp :/

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can anyone spot what's unusual about this picture of F-15s over Alaska?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Some of them are MiGs?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Exhibit A of why anyone who frequents this thread should go read all 200 pages of both AIRPOWER in TFS and the air thread in AI.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I prefer cold war fantasy world where everyone wears uniforms, there are no civilians and dropping napalm is an acceptable way to clear urban areas :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jet Age posted:

I prefer cold war fantasy world where everyone wears uniforms, there are no civilians and dropping napalm is an acceptable way to clear urban areas :)

Now i'm thinking of a fantasy game set in like the loving fantasy 80s instead of fantasy 1200 or whatever. God damnit.

• Locked thread