Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

We declare war on your unholy nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Smerdyakov posted:

Everyone else who has put their hours into dom4 has a pretty informed opinion as well. I can definitely see how a particular battle/game can provide strong evidence for one position or another. The reason we love the game is because it's so complex and infinitely variable, so every example has a counter-example. There are so many interactions it's hard to get clear valuations on things, but all of this stems from the fact that the guys at Illwinter don't use formulas to determine costs and they never have. When it comes to modding, the best we can do is to tweak the balance issues that make correct gameplay more about metagame knowledge than tactical thought and/or tweak nations that appear to be underpowered/underplayed.

What I would add to that is certain nations are problematic because they have a clear "best practice" that players don't deviate from. Of course someone can always come along and overturn this established wisdom, but in general there are nations where it is clear you are making a newbie mistake if you build most of their national troops.

I'm not sure how satisfying the late game battle magic is. At a certain point, the nation with high level communions simply wins because they can use a crystal matrix to make sure the communion master casts battle deciding spells like mass enslave the first turn. At that point, it's an army that literally can't be attacked anymore because if they get the first turn you won't even get a turn before they cast it. Of course there are counters to that, but they're free to counter your counters and you still are back to the problem of every stat but MR being irrelevant. With the current research point requirements it feels like by the time anyone gets to that the game has already been decided one way or the other. I think it would be more interesting if you could get to levels 8-10 more easily but the effects weren't as decisive.

As it stands now, players who go in with a specific research strategy from the beginning of the game and stick with it way outperform players who change their research priorities in order to win wars and take more territory. In one game I was in recently, a nation that didn't do the heavy lifting in any wars and just controlled about 20 provinces completely kicked my rear end when I had about 60 provinces, because all they had to do to win was hit the research/construction milestones that made their thugs almost impossible to stop. I also didn't understand the threat and my armies were fundamentally not designed to take them on, but that's because I foolishly spent my money on troops instead of dredging through dom3 forums for the right battle-magic combos. I think turtling is a viable strategy, but I'm not sure it's good for the game if the person who usually wins is the one who focuses all their energy on researching precise spell combos that work with their national paths while their neighbors fight.

This is not only for battle magic but also for globals--there are several goon games that were won by Pelagia who defeated between 0-1 opponents in the ocean and then spent the rest of the game researching to wish engine. On the other hand, the thrones mechanic is already in there to punish that behavior. It's unfortunate that the vast majority of games continue to set thrones needed to win at 100%, when something like 2/3rds needed to win is going to produce a better game and a more representative winner most of the time.

You know that you can cloud trapeze or defensive move rain of stones casters in the way of big communions and murder all of them without them getting to cast anything, right? Or any of the battlefield wide damage spells I suppose, but rain of stones is what is best in life.

Also, turtling is a terrible strategy and you should never just leave someone alone for a long time because duh, they're going to use that time to kidder you. Even pelagia.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
For the record, I wasn't turtling, I was invading Ulm and even took his capital. My dai onis weren't invincible, when you went AI the AI took over and killed 2 dai onis in a group of 3 by summoning a dozen earth elementals. In IRC you mentioned you didnt have the research to use things like petrify or blood magic against my dai oni, but remember you can always hide inside your forts and research alt 6 or blood 5 in not too much time. Il take your undefended provinces in the mean time but because they arent forts you can easily use your vanjarls to snatch them all back.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Diabl0658 posted:

For the record, I wasn't turtling, I was invading Ulm and even took his capital. My dai onis weren't invincible, when you went AI the AI took over and killed 2 dai onis in a group of 3 by summoning a dozen earth elementals. In IRC you mentioned you didnt have the research to use things like petrify or blood magic against my dai oni, but remember you can always hide inside your forts and research alt 6 or blood 5 in not too much time. Il take your undefended provinces in the mean time but because they arent forts you can easily use your vanjarls to snatch them all back.

Yeah, I'm not saying my strategy wasn't flawed and going AI was definitely a bit impulsive on my part, but a player who better understood the late gameplay of our nations better would've played very differently for at least the last 10-20 turns and would've beaten you handily. I don't get frustrated by losing battles, but I do get frustrated when I get totally massacred with superior forces over and over again. At that point, I feel helpless and like I don't understand the game well enough to continue. I still feel the hand of metagame knowledge too heavily on my shoulder sometimes, because most of the biggest improvements I've made as a player have come from reading old threads and MP LPs rather than from game experience.

builds character posted:

You know that you can cloud trapeze or defensive move rain of stones casters in the way of big communions and murder all of them without them getting to cast anything, right? Or any of the battlefield wide damage spells I suppose, but rain of stones is what is best in life.

I take your point that there are possible counters to everything, but if a nation doesn't have A or E paths (for example) does that mean they're not worth playing past the mid-game? Obviously not, but hindsight is where you start looking for possible counters but usually it's too late for the game in question.

To cut to the heart of the matter, this sort of reminds me of the (raging!) debates about pretender chasses with s1. Magic duel is an interesting spell and I don't have a problem with it, but giving a pretender chassis s1 has the effect of giving players fewer options instead of more. If there's always a right answer to a tactical decision in dom4, then the mechanic should be reevaluated. Then again, all of this comes from what I think would make dom4 more fun/interesting, but it can be really hard to separate "more fun" and "the way I like to play winning more."

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Dominions Are Dumb v 0.04, the first official testing release, is now out. Get it here.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It would be interesting if S could be special cased to cost less to buy than other paths, thus making it easier to add if you wanted it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Speleothing posted:

It would be interesting if S could be special cased to cost less to buy than other paths, thus making it easier to add if you wanted it.

The problem is that S is a super super strong path on pretenders especially so this wouldn't work at all.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

I Love You! posted:

The problem is that S is a super super strong path on pretenders especially so this wouldn't work at all.

Perhaps just removing magic duel would be better, I see no real reason for that spell to exist except to gently caress with S<7 pretenders.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hm, I should look at spell effects, while it's probably not possible, it may be possible to remove the instant death component in favor of say, many rounds of paralysis or feebleminding. Doubt it's possible but this is spell modding, there are a lot of tricks.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

I Love You! posted:

Yeah unlike some people I don't give a poo poo if you play vs. the AI.

Then why the hell did you get all smarmy when I said I did?

I Love You! posted:

Against the AI it's really a matter of "make good troop/SC, attack provinces, guard against flanks" and that's it, and nothing else really matters or works.

How is this at all relevant to the assertion that

The Gentleman posted:

I see no real reason for that spell to exist except to gently caress with S<7 pretenders.

(not my quote but it's more succinct than I could have put it).

I admit that some of my complaints were poorly thought out, but to simply claim that "you don't play multiplayer, you wouldn't understand", with no regard to what you're actually arguing against just makes you look snobby.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

The Gentleman posted:

Perhaps just removing magic duel would be better, I see no real reason for that spell to exist except to gently caress with S<7 pretenders.

Except it's a well-balanced spell that creates a good weakness for an otherwise great self-buff path? Astral shield and body ethereal are really effective. Throwing away 10 S1 mages for a good chance to kill an S5 pretender is a pretty fair trade. That's nearly a year's worth of mage recruitment.

It's not like there's a shortage of good titan-type pretender chassis. If you're not willing to take S7 on an SC pretender chassis, take a different one. Why even take a titan pretender with low magic? The whole point is that you get two strong magic paths cheaply and still have good combat potential with gear. Even an S5 pretender gets killed by less than 10% of magic duel attempts by an S1. Bring more S mages to back up your pretender if he is that valuable.

Magic duel is cool, unique, and useful spell, and I don't think removing valid tactics is a good way to "balance" the game. I think the thug/SC counter spells create interesting research goals and allow creative players to find a counter to any SC. The days of strong SCs are gone with the Dom4 changes anyway - you can barely gear well enough to be resistant to a single elemental damage type. Even with all "resist or die" spells were removed from the game, you can still easily kill SCs with creative applications of Leech or duskdaggers.

If someone can list cool pretenders that no one takes simply because they come with S1 I will agree that magic duel deserves to be slightly higher in the research tree, but I see no reason to remove it entirely.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jabarto posted:

Then why the hell did you get all smarmy when I said I did?

It was less smarmy and more me realizing that you were making balance/gameplay wishlists based on singleplayer and not multiplayer and thus we were talking about completely disparate games essentially, so basically neither of our arguments should really matter much to the other person.

Many of the things some of the people here are arguing in favor (or against) are completely nonfactors in SP but matter a lot in Mplayer, either to balance the game or enable/fight against certain important strategies. I can see if you're coming from a SP-only point of view there are going to be a vastly different set of priorities in play for where you'd like to see the game go.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 24, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

I Love You! posted:

It was less smarmy and more me realizing that you were making balance/gameplay wishlists based on singleplayer and not multiplayer and thus we were talking about completely disparate games essentially, so basically neither of our arguments should really matter much to the other person.

Many of the things some of the people here are arguing in favor (or against) are completely nonfactors in SP but matter a lot in Mplayer, either to balance the game or enable/fight against certain important strategies. I can see if you're coming from a SP-only point of view there are going to be a vastly different set of priorities in play for where you'd like to see the game go.

That's...actually reasonable and a pretty big misunderstanding on my part. Maybe I should just stop arguing about videogames for a bit. :buddy:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Really stupid, but how well would a teleporting astral mage to cast soul slay/magic duel then returning work? Assuming I'm playing the R'lyehs.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

Really stupid, but how well would a teleporting astral mage to cast soul slay/magic duel then returning work? Assuming I'm playing the R'lyehs.

Soul Slay can be cast remotely with the spell Mind Hunt.

Generally magic duel is done with astral 1 and 2 mages but you could certainly try some trickery like that if you have pearls to burn.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you just want to soul slay then Mind Hunt would be a lot cheaper and effective.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The real answer is that its excellent if you are lemuria. because you dont even have to script the returning! just throw down another duel

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
We continue with the lovely adventures of Magikarp! Now healed of that terrible disease, we easily stomp indies with the huge flapping fish.

This province should be easy, lots of troops that will flee quickly!

That's a lot of mages over there, and is that skeletons coming my way?

The skeletons are unimpressed by Magikarps awe and fear.

Well poo poo.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The most important thing is to always and only play blood sac nations

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If he's thinking Magic Duel, then clearly Mind Hunting will just end in severed chords.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If it's possible, making the effects of Magic Duel vary depending on by how much the winner beats the loser by would be pretty cool. Someone could still throw like 10 S1 mages at a S6-7 pretender or some poo poo but if they win the duel at worst they're probably only going to stun the thing or whatever unless they make a really lucky roll somehow. A higher-level astral mage could still pop the brains of the lower ones if it wanted to, as well.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
You literally cannot win with S1 against S7 and will almost never win against S6, even if they're on their own.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Then pretend I wrote S4-5 or some poo poo instead when I wrote that while half-asleep. :colbert:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
S1s are very cool once you unlock Lights of the Northern Star and Stellar Cascade. I was meaning the whole teleport+duel thing because S1 mages have a 40% chance of finding your cord. S2 80% and more that is guaranteed I think.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 24, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

S1s are very cool once you unlock Lights of the Northern Star and Stellar Cascade. I was meaning the whole teleport+duel thing because S1 mages have a 40% chance of finding your cord. S2 80% and more that is guaranteed I think.
Answer is: works well if you have a worthy target, otherwise think of another use for your StR mages.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Are mages just dicks or is there a reason they won't do what I've scripted them for? In my latest game I'm playing MA Abysia and have my fire mage set to cast Inner Furnace at the start of the battle, I gave him Fire in a Jar so he doesn't need the fire gems but half the time he just runs around like an idiot casting priest spells.

Been playing for a while but am still a complete newbie when it comes to magic, trying to force myself to use it more and more so I can learn what spells are good and what not.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The casting ai doesn't know the difference between real gems and fake ones and will decide fights aren't big enough to blow gems on. This is to counter an old strat of attacking armies with scouts to get them to waste all their gems before the real fight.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

The casting ai doesn't know the difference between real gems and fake ones and will decide fights aren't big enough to blow gems on. This is to counter an old strat of attacking armies with scouts to get them to waste all their gems before the real fight.

Ah, I guess my fights just weren't big enough then, I just wanted to test out spells and such while taking some land for myself.

Another newbie question then, friend of mine in the same game has been getting crushed in his home nation, every time he creates a commander he gets an "Arrow from the sky" that straight up murders the guy. Anyway to protect your commander from this?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cainer posted:

Ah, I guess my fights just weren't big enough then, I just wanted to test out spells and such while taking some land for myself.

Another newbie question then, friend of mine in the same game has been getting crushed in his home nation, every time he creates a commander he gets an "Arrow from the sky" that straight up murders the guy. Anyway to protect your commander from this?

You need missile protection. Robe or amulet of missile protection will stop 80% of those. Or you can just recruit a shitload of commanders everywhere and move them into a blob so they waste gems killing generic 40g guys.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cainer posted:

More commanders, more health, domes, crushing whoever has Air mages' income.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cainer posted:

Some rear end in a top hat is casting seeking arrow (I think that's the name of the spell) every turn. If he is able to, he can put up a dome in the province that will block some of the shots. If he's really crafty, he can put up the fire version that sends back retaliatory bolts, and flood that province with cheap indie commanders named to look like mages. That way his opponent will bleed mages, while he'll just be losing chaff.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Thanks much, we're playing god/disiple game and I kinda don't want him to die. Only nation close enough looks like Caelum, time to crush some birdies then.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cainer posted:

Thanks much, we're playing god/disiple game and I kinda don't want him to die. Only nation close enough looks like Caelum, time to crush some birdies then.
If your team has an N9 blessing, then remember that a Shroud will add enough health to almost certainly tank the damage after they're made sacred.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Is it right to assume that "your demon and undead troops are hit with holy fire" is from a similar spell?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Flython posted:

Is it right to assume that "your demon and undead troops are hit with holy fire" is from a similar spell?

There are sites that do that. Get them away from that province and don't bring any undead/demons back into it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Two commands I wish you could give troops.

Hold, Fire, then Attack. It seems Hold and Attack will cause Javelins to not be thrown.

Charge and harass. I'd like my cavalry to run up, kill some guys, then disengage. That would be lovely.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Try Fire and Keep At Range for javelin use.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I just leave javelins unscripted and they happily run up, throw, and engage in melee.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I just leave javelins unscripted and they happily run up, throw, and engage in melee.

I've found that the only reliable way to get units with a range of less than 20 or so to use their ranged attacks is to leave them unscripted; any form of scripting seems to introduce even more chaos than just leaving them alone does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I've always found that with javelins you can just script the dudes to "fire". They charge up to get into range, toss a couple javs, and then they're right there for the melee.

• Locked thread