Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There's a difference between covering yourself in zombie sludge and sticking it inside an open wound. Though I forget if the comic has actually contradicted itself on that before, that's probably what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Weren't they also shown collecting filth from the zombie mouths?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Or it could just go to prove that Negan's philosophy was completely wrong. I don't believe he actually is shown testing it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm all caught up, and I think I'm ready for this ALL OUT WAR to start wrapping up.

It was fun, but I'm starting to strain under suspending all this disbelief at 200 people's inability to put a single bullet into Negan already.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

moths posted:

I'm all caught up, and I think I'm ready for this ALL OUT WAR to start wrapping up.

It was fun, but I'm starting to strain under suspending all this disbelief at 200 people's inability to put a single bullet into Negan already.

Agreed. Conceptually, I'm glad it turns out a lot of Negan's "citizens" are unhappy with him. That's a really interesting way for Rick to "win" -- he leads a better society, and that *matters*. But if lots of people are upset with Negan, within his own camp, and now they *know* that there are many of them -- well, then they should just kill Negan.

I guess the fear is still that, if they kill Negan, one of his lieutenants will just take his place, punish the assassin, and be just as bad? And I suppose there hasn't really been any evidence that a *majority* of Nagan's people would prefer a society like Rick's.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Negan is a pretty unreliable narrator, being a crazy person and all.

I guess introducing the filth into someone's bloodstream could make them sick and possibly cause a fatal infection, but with a much lower success rate than bites have. I doubt Kirkman will kill off Rick at the end of All Out War - it's too obvious. Maybe Rick will be incapacitated either temporarily or permanently, and the next story arc will have a new POV character for a while? It's not like the series has always been 100% from Rick's perspective, we've had plenty of scenes where he doesn't appear, or isn't there to witness events. I can see him doing something like having Rick wheelchair bound while he recovers or something along those lines.

One thing I like is how Kirkman doesn't use narration boxes or any kind of thought balloons - we never know what a character is thinking, which is an interesting story telling device.

That said, didn't Kirkman say we'd be hearing Negan's backstory? That should be interesting, he's probably the best villain the series has had, just for how weird he is.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 15, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dwight explicitly states that he can't gently caress with the balance on his bolts, which is a pretty big nod towards him leaving the thing unsaturated with goo. My guess is that he'll have been aiming at Rick's leg and missed or something.

I never noticed the absence of thought balloons before, and that's actually something innovative that TWD does. There's also no straight up expository text, which is pretty drat cool.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Well this issue was a whole bunch of padding.

But it's pretty much confirmed the zombie soaked weapons do cause people to get sick. Sooooo most likely Dwight did not dip his bolt.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I liked the issue but it is like the third or fourth time that Negan is towering around completely unscathed in a crowd of people getting mowed down by bullets.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah that's getting to me as well. Why can't Andrea just shoot him.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
If they did that how would they drag the stories out twice as long as necessary?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

With the governor they had him conduct the war far from the back, while wearing bullet-proof riot gear, and several failed attempts to shoot him from afar.

The vague veneer of believability departed with Carl's eye and the arrival of the trained attack-tiger.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brain Aged posted:

If they did that how would they drag the stories out twice as long as necessary?

Why do I feel that while they say this story will change everything, nothing is going to change? A character or two will die but other than that it will be Rick and co get to a new place that seems safe, bad poo poo goes down often there fault, and then they move on?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

moths posted:

I never noticed the absence of thought balloons before, and that's actually something innovative that TWD does. There's also no straight up expository text, which is pretty drat cool.
It's really not anything unique in comics and it would be cooler if Kirkman didn't often delve into long monologues of expositions and characters stating their feelings on the regular.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So how many issues of this arc have ended with a close up of Negan saying some dumb one liner?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well that certainly wasn't the direction I expected them to take. I was almost fooled until the past page.

Could've been nice, guys.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well there goes any interest I still had.

Also, here's a panel from #100

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 9, 2014

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I laughed. It was the "let's work together" moral of the story, Walking Dead style.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I feel like Rick just became Negan.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, that was just pants-on-the-floor stupid.

I haven't really been a fan of this arc or the Negan character, but that ending seemed out of nowhere. And not in a 'I am shocked! Kirkman just blew my mind!' kinda way.

I'd laugh if next issue it turns out that the whole ending of this issue was just one big messed up fever dream that one of the infected guys is having.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think the circumstances of the final scene was stupid (in fact it's pretty much exactly how I expected it to go down), but Rick convincing Negan to become civilized and work together in like two pages and it working was really dumb even for Kirkman. Like Negan suddenly realizing "oh man I DON'T have to be a complete piece of poo poo" out of nowhere, I was just waiting for him to yell "PSYCHE", but I guess not!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

But who's to say Negan wasn't just playing along and Rick pulled the knife on him faster?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

But who's to say Negan wasn't just playing along and Rick pulled the knife on him faster?

Sure, it's possible, but I didn't quite get that vibe from it. Either way, I think it undermined the climax.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That was really bad. That stupid speech, Negan's "Gee you're right" expression, it was all bad. I guess Negan really might be the dumbest person alive if he fell for that.

I had a feeling it was gonna be a bad issue when I saw it was 11/12.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
That was dumb as hell. The psychopathic frat boy Negan I know would have mulled over Rick's offer for a moment, decided that the best way to keep the society stable would be if he was in charge and that it was way too late to compromise anyway, then fed Rick to his baseball bat.

Dangerpants
Aug 11, 2005

I agree with therealjon_ in that while I was reading I thought Negan was droning on and on before making a bold action and Rick beat him to it.

Was really hoping Kirkman had the stones to kill off Rick though. Although I'm interested where he will take it now I thought having the fallout from that event would have been so much fun to watch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

These last-panel misdirects are really something else. I remember one where Rick didn't care if walkers ate kids because they're NOT OUR KIDS! and then in the next issue he was like "That was a mean thing to say, of course we'll save those kids."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy fucken poo poo that was the most pointless game changing storyline I have ever read. Holy poo poo was it pointless and went nowhere. Also Rick you are a fucken idiot

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm not gonna be able to get to the store today, what ends up happening?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

Rick didn't intend to kill Negan, just wound him and get him taken to their doctor so he could avoid getting gunned down himself (???). Dwight takes over so no one would have been gunned down anyway I don't loving know. Rick is adamant about not killing Negan because, and he actually brings out that old chestnut, "if we kill him, we're no better than he is" (????????). Carl stands ready to kill Negan, but Rick talks him out of it, and makes a speech to the survivors about how they're going to work together from now on, and then goes back and tells Negan he's a douche and he's going to rot in prison.

I'm generally of the mind that this book is still entertaining, but yeah that was reeeaaally loving lovely.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

therealjon_ posted:

Lets just say that Age of Ultron and Battle of the Atom had more of a point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So the letter page is still saying that 'everything' will change with issue 127. The only thing I can see happening over the course of one (double length) issue is Negan killing Rick from the inside almost immediately. Otherwise I can't think of what they can possibly do.

I'm hoping I'll be surprised by something out of left field, but it feels like the story's just raced to a dead end.

@therealjon_ There's a bit of a fight, Dwight proclaims himself leader of the Saviours, Rick says to keep Negan alive, Negan breaks Rick's leg, they're both rushed indoors, Rick gives a motivational speech, Carl tries to kill Negan, Rick talks him out of it, Rick tells Negan that he's going to keep him as a prisoner so he can watch his new world come to fruition.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Haha, yes every arc we are told things are never going to be the same and ... welp!

Maybe Rick wants to keep Negan around for his great sense of humor ?

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Hakkesshu posted:

Rick didn't intend to kill Negan, just wound him and get him taken to their doctor so he could avoid getting gunned down himself (???). Dwight takes over so no one would have been gunned down anyway I don't loving know. Rick is adamant about not killing Negan because, and he actually brings out that old chestnut, "if we kill him, we're no better than he is" (????????). Carl stands ready to kill Negan, but Rick talks him out of it, and makes a speech to the survivors about how they're going to work together from now on, and then goes back and tells Negan he's a douche and he's going to rot in prison.

I'm generally of the mind that this book is still entertaining, but yeah that was reeeaaally loving lovely.

How's that "You kill, you die." working out for you, Rick?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moleman posted:

How's that "You kill, you die." working out for you, Rick?

Rick is a loving idiot and watch him escape and kill a loved one in 127.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Rick is a loving idiot and watch him escape and kill a loved one in 127.

Honestly Rick NEEDS to die.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly Rick NEEDS to die.

So how long until Negan escapes, kills a bunch of people, and Carl has to kill him?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dumb. I mean I figured it wasn't going to be a last-second 'wipe out all the b-listers (and maybe a couple A- guys)' thing like the prison fight, but eh.

I would have preferred *anything* else. Even a 'Oh, hey, let's get you some medical attention... whoops, can't because you killed our doctor, d-bag.'

Next issue's a double, right? I sure hope every panel is just a succession of everybody calling Rick a moron.

'Woah, hey guys, I know this whole mess got your friend/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/dad/leg/tiger killed, but I'm Rick, sooooo...'

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Dumb. I mean I figured it wasn't going to be a last-second 'wipe out all the b-listers (and maybe a couple A- guys)' thing like the prison fight, but eh.

I would have preferred *anything* else. Even a 'Oh, hey, let's get you some medical attention... whoops, can't because you killed our doctor, d-bag.'

Next issue's a double, right? I sure hope every panel is just a succession of everybody calling Rick a moron.

'Woah, hey guys, I know this whole mess got your friend/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/dad/leg/tiger killed, but I'm Rick, sooooo...'

Also why was this storyline 12 loving parts? It was maybe a 3-4 parter. I think that is what pisses me off the most. It was a stupidly long pointless storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Kirkman said that he really likes writing Negan, maybe he didn't want to let him go just yet? Plus killing someone off at the end of the big arc would have been too predictable. That, and we still haven't had Negan's backstory explained. The comic reads better in trades anyway - it flows better in big chunks.

I'm guessing 127 is when the big new direction comes in. Kirkman can overdo the hyperbole sometimes in promotion.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread