Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Barehanded Brother posted:

Hate to interrupt Mousechat 2014: The Sensitivening, but some interesting news:

http://www.hltv.org/blog/8223-128-tick-match-making-system-here-now

Apparently there's an honest to goodness CS:GO matchmaking system with 128 tick servers. It's unofficial and run by some British guy, but it could be the way forward!

This is exactly the same as esea/altpug/leetway PUGs except that it requires the use of IRC and instead of getting an RWS based rating you get an ELO one. It's not actually "matchmaking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

NihilCredo posted:

What I want to know is whether switching to this newfangled unofficial 128-tick matchmaking will help with those "you should be dead!" issues, or if I don't need to bother since it's strictly a ping issue.

At every real-time game's heart lies the fact that gameplay is really a series of very very fast turns. 128 tick just means there's 128 "turns" in a second. It's conceivable that either latency OR tickrate could cause "you should be dead" (or "I shouldn't be dead, I was around that corner!).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
GTR is just disgustingly good.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
Lots of vets post in this thread so can ask if yall really believe its just the tick rate? The type of stuff I see feels more the rate being unstable than just low.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The matchmaking servers are in general total poo poo and you shouldn't play on them. Go check out altpug or leetway if you don't want to pay or aren't good enough for ESEA.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

EA Sports posted:

Lots of vets post in this thread so can ask if yall really believe its just the tick rate? The type of stuff I see feels more the rate being unstable than just low.
It's the tick rate. There are noticeable times where you should have hit someone and it didn't register the hit. Go back and watch your own replays with sv_showimpacts set to 1, and see how many bullets register with the server, but how many hits it credited you with.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Played a game of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive today on Match Making where we came back as ct on mirage from 8-14 for the 16-14 win.

Feels good, lets tell some tales of Epic Comebacks.

We were 12-3 up on Mirage T side. Then on CT we got rolled 0-10 and ended up tying.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Coleman posted:

It's the tick rate. There are noticeable times where you should have hit someone and it didn't register the hit. Go back and watch your own replays with sv_showimpacts set to 1, and see how many bullets register with the server, but how many hits it credited you with.

Then do this with a local demo you recorded during a buttmen game. Realize this has almost nothing to do with tickrate and the difference is barely perceptible. Continue to play matchmaking and have good times for the next 40-50 years. Die old, wise, and surrounded by loved ones.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

/shoots chicken with blood splatter 3x

/sigh and disconnect

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
64 tick = 1 update every 15.625ms

Your ping has a bigger influence in missed shots with the lag compensation.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Phone posted:

So would this be more or less noticeable for me regularly pinging somewhere between 5-10ms on Valve servers? Or would it have no real effect?

I mean my reaction time is something on the order of Old Man Slow 300ms anyways so I'm sure it doesn't really matter all that much, but I'm curious about things like the netcode behind all of this.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Phone posted:

Ding ding ding, tick rate is almost never an issue. There are so many invisible points of failure that can happen during an online gaming session that most people just throw their hands up and cry tickrate when the reality is much more complicated. That's not to say that you don't see better performance on a 128 tick server, but people blaming their deaths on tick rate are Dunning-Krugering all over the place.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I was under the assumption that if I died in CS it was everyone else's fault, mostly Valve.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Barehanded Brother posted:

So would this be more or less noticeable for me regularly pinging somewhere between 5-10ms on Valve servers? Or would it have no real effect?

I mean my reaction time is something on the order of Old Man Slow 300ms anyways so I'm sure it doesn't really matter all that much, but I'm curious about things like the netcode behind all of this.

If you have a ping of 5 to 10ms, it would definitely be a more prominent factor; however, there is definitely some fuzzy math happening on the back end to make things work. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just improbable when there's a laundry list of factors that have more of an effect.

Outside of people making excuses for themselves, I would say that there is a good technical reason to want a 128 tick server and it's somewhat of a second order reason. Instead of focusing on more = better always, I'd rather think of it as a 128 tick server requires significantly more CPU power to run smoothly so it's less likely to have a lovely experience due to a server making GBS threads the bed.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
The certainly noticed a difference when playing in a 128 server (after changing my settings) but I couldn't really place what the difference was. I wasn't doing as well as I normally do and it felt like I had to relearn stuff.

So I guess until it becomes the standard (ie never), all it might do is throw you off for awhile until you get used to it.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
The internet ate my bullets

BAD INTERNET

*hits internet with a rolled up newspaper*

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

People happy with 64 tick are scum imo, especially in a game like CS where that little bit of timing is really really really important.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

mcvey posted:

People happy with 64 tick are scum imo, especially in a game like CS where that little bit of timing is really really really important.

Aren't pro games played on 64 tick?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Zwiftef posted:

Aren't pro games played on 64 tick?

Depends on where they are playing/what event it is I think.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Apogee15 posted:

Depends on where they are playing/what event it is I think.

What? No.

No they're not.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
I don't feel that way because of bad hitreg. During pistol rounds i occasionally hs a dude when my cursor is nowhere near them. like I'd hs a teammate while spamming then start to move it towards another player and hs them before I even get close. I never remember that happening in old cs.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mcvey posted:

What? No.

No they're not.

There has definitely been 'pro' games played on 64 tick servers. ESL allows the use of 64 tick servers in it's matches.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I've been yelled at for not prefiring, although I don't know if that's related to tickrate or player stupidity

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

EA Sports posted:

I don't feel that way because of bad hitreg. During pistol rounds i occasionally hs a dude when my cursor is nowhere near them. like I'd hs a teammate while spamming then start to move it towards another player and hs them before I even get close. I never remember that happening in old cs.
That is not "bad hitreg." Bullets don't always go where your crosshair is pointing, especially "when spamming." Same thing was true in 1.6.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Apogee15 posted:

There has definitely been 'pro' games played on 64 tick servers. ESL allows the use of 64 tick servers in it's matches.

That's news to me and I can't find any info about it on google.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

mcvey posted:

That's news to me and I can't find any info about it on google.

http://www.esl.eu/eu/csgo/5on5/ladder/rules/

esl posted:

4.1.1.3. Tickrate
At the moment we favour no tickrate over another. Servers with tickrate 64 or tickrate 128 will be treated equally.

Probably the vast majority of matches are played on 128 tick though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Vast majority is probably 99.9% if not 100%.

You'd think Valve could spring for some decent servers with the truckloads of money they're bringing in. Hell you could halve the # of current servers(including all the empty demolition, casual, DM etc etc) ones to make up for the upgrades and be fine.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

I'm confused as to how hitreg works in this game. Should I lead people or not?

Other than that I think people just remember that time you dink someone with the AK for 0 damage better than all the times you kinda miss but kill them anyway.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Just point your crosshair at the enemy, say a prayer and click.

Hopefully the CS gods will be nice and reward you, probably not though.

:csgo:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

cat with hands posted:

Other than that I think people just remember that time you dink someone with the AK for 0 damage better than all the times you kinda miss but kill them anyway.

Guns in CS are all hitscan so you don't have to lead people at all. The tracers are just there for a visual reference point, there are no actual projectiles when shooting.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

mcvey posted:

You'd think Valve could spring for some decent servers with the truckloads of money they're bringing in.

Yeah and then you'd just have nerds crying about how they aren't 256 tick. I'd rather see them invest into other areas of CS.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
256 tick servers wouldn't actually be possible for most people running dedicated servers since the default HZ value in the linux kernel is 250, so you can't have a timer with a fine enough resolution to update 256 times per second.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Coleman posted:

Replays and demos are not 100% accurate to what you really saw in game.

It even works the other way, you can get real hits and kills in game that sv_showimpacts will not show.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

astr0man posted:

256 tick servers wouldn't actually be possible for most people running dedicated servers since the default HZ value in the linux kernel is 250, so you can't have a timer with a fine enough resolution to update 256 times per second.

Are there any server companies marketing 256 tick servers as ultra performance CS servers? Because if not, I've got a business idea for you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cat with hands posted:

In addition to the hitscan mentioned earlier the hit detection is handled by your local client which means that you should never lead regardless of your ping.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

down with slavery posted:

Yeah and then you'd just have nerds crying about how they aren't 256 tick. I'd rather see them invest into other areas of CS.

Or they could just use the standard 128 tick. :confused:

You should come play some CS, pengy.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 24, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Valve should force all servers to be 64 tick, just so I can hear people cry about it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

mcvey posted:

Or they could just use the standard 128 tick. :confused:

You should come play some CS, pengy.

332 matchmaking wins and going strong

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Robot Randy posted:

I've been yelled at for not prefiring, although I don't know if that's related to tickrate or player stupidity

If you're prefiring, you should be shooting before you see the opponent, so your shot will register regardless. It's you being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Thank to whoever posted CSGO Lounge. I've quadrupled my skins since I started. This poo poo is easy.

• Locked thread