Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I heard you guys like terrible, derivative photos.

Here's a question. My incident meter for this photo says f/11 at 1/250, iso 200, since I'm using flash that's my max sync. I take a test shot, and it's all white. Even at f/22, it's only slightly less white. It was driving me nuts, until I put on a 2-stop ND filter, CPL, dropped to ISO 100, and take off a stop of exposure in LR to get the above. I know shutter controls ambient, but shouldn't f/22 or f/11 kill the ambient light?

There's no way my meter is 4 stops off, and Joe McNally/Strobist/Zack Arias pull this shot off at something like f/8, 1/160, ISO 400 with the same camera. What did I miss?

red19fire fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

I heard you guys like terrible, derivative photos.

Here's a question. My incident meter for this photo says f/11 at 1/250, iso 200, since I'm using flash that's my max sync. I take a test shot, and it's all white. Even at f/22, it's only slightly less white. It was driving me nuts, until I put on a 2-stop ND filter, CPL, dropped to ISO 100, and take off a stop of exposure in LR to get the above. I know shutter controls ambient, but shouldn't f/22 or f/11 kill the ambient light?

There's no way my meter is 4 stops off, and Joe McNally/Strobist/Zack Arias pull this shot off at something like f/8, 1/160, ISO 400 with the same camera. What did I miss?

If you're using an incident meter to read the light level of the subjects face, it would definitely cause the sky to blow out depending on what time of day you're trying to shoot the photo. The first step I would have taken would have been to just meter the shot using the camera's (reflective) metering system in order to get proper exposure on the sky, then figure out my camera/flash settings from there.

If you're trying for that shot mid-day, you're either going to need a really powerful strobe when using a modifier in order to overpower the sun, or just use a bare flashgun that's really close to the subject.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
You don't even need a meter to tell you that the sky'll blow out.
Presuming bright sun, sunny 16s would dictate a stop of f/16 if you're at 1/200th, ISO 200. That's for a subject standing IN direct sun, not the sun itself, unless you have superb dynamic range you're not going to get the sky in there too. F11 at 1/250th, ISO 200 sounds about right to be, your meter is fine.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Gabriella
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 16, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I dunno why but the lump from the tag near her waist is really buggin' me.

It's always the small poo poo.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

thetzar posted:

There's a lot I like about this photo, but I don't understand why you overlaid a Saint Patrick's Cross on top of it.

That processing must be heavier than I intended. Was aiming for a lighter touch than that. Oops.

As for everyone else, I'm guessing snarky = doing nothing for you? Rote? Boring? Seen it before too many times and done better?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Serena
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 17, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Gazmachine posted:

As for everyone else, I'm guessing snarky = doing nothing for you? Rote? Boring? Seen it before too many times and done better?

That's probably a remarkably accurate interpretation of that, yeah. Just consider snarky as "you should take another look at this one."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That second one is unreal, love it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That second one is unreal, love it.

Thank you kindly.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
I never take pictures of people but a friend of mine was around yesterday and I thought I'd try for some "candid" stuff.

goof by PC-P, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

That's probably a remarkably accurate interpretation of that, yeah. Just consider snarky as "you should take another look at this one."

Haha, got it.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Serena
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
This was a pretty funny sketch about couples/portrait/wedding photography on Amy Schumer's show on Comedy Central.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
_MG_9384.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Took this for my portrait class, the assignment this time was an environmental portrait. I convinced my friend to let me take his picture at the comic book store he works at. I can't decide whether I like it in color or not, the colors of the comic books may be a bit too much.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I like the B&W better. The only reason I can verbalize why, is that it has a better "feel" to it.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

_MG_9384.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Took this for my portrait class, the assignment this time was an environmental portrait. I convinced my friend to let me take his picture at the comic book store he works at. I can't decide whether I like it in color or not, the colors of the comic books may be a bit too much.

I find them both too distracting, honestly.

I'm not an expert but I'd like to see either a color version but with colors under control (i.e. not random and/or randomly placed) or a b/w version with more focus on the person. For a start I'd place his head on the hole in the wall so that he doesn't have anything behind him, making the head more recognizable.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

maxmars posted:

I find them both too distracting, honestly.

I'm not an expert but I'd like to see either a color version but with colors under control (i.e. not random and/or randomly placed) or a b/w version with more focus on the person. For a start I'd place his head on the hole in the wall so that he doesn't have anything behind him, making the head more recognizable.

Yeah, I probably should have had him sit in that center area. I told him to just sit how he normally does when he's bored and no one comes in, and I should have recognized the better separation there. Probably would have helped hide the shadow from his head a bit too. Also we couldn't really arrange the books up there since they're all the high-priced ones and the owner would have freaked, so I don't know how I could have altered the color arrangement.

VendaGoat posted:

I like the B&W better. The only reason I can verbalize why, is that it has a better "feel" to it.

I think I'm leaning towards the B&W one now too, I think the print will turn out alright, and I can re-shoot it later if I want to try and compose it a bit better.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I think using lots of colors in an image can work, but you need to give the eyes a place to "rest" as it wanders across the image. If there were more parts of the image that weren't as busy I think it would work better. I like the idea though. I'll bet you can find a better composition in the shop that still conveys the same sense of place.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The color one is much better. The pose is nicer, the light is better on the subject, and the color actually adds interest to the setting. The B&W one does have that cool juxtaposed joker head going for it though.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I prefer the colour one, too. That space would have been a great place to put his head, though. Also, give landscape orientation a shot, too.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the black and white processing is very flat and could use a bit of an adjustment to make it pop more.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Gazmachine posted:

I prefer the colour one, too. That space would have been a great place to put his head, though. Also, give landscape orientation a shot, too.
I'll try a few like that if I go again.

Paragon8 posted:

the black and white processing is very flat and could use a bit of an adjustment to make it pop more.
Yeah, I noticed that thankfully before I printed it. I made a few adjustments in Lightroom before I ended up turning it in.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A friend of mine swung by last night to take some pictures. He wasn't feeling well, though, and looked like hell. So we moved fast, and decided to see how insane of a look we could get.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

thetzar fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 23, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

A friend of mine swung by last night to take some pictures. He wasn't feeling well, though, and looked like hell. So we moved fast, and decided to see how insane of a look we could get.

I Have No Neck, and I Must Leer. I think it works okay in the first and last one, but that 3/4 shot just looks awkward.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Yes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dude reminds me of the main character in the Irish film Charlie Casanova.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

thetzar posted:

Awesome, more fuel for my D800 bloodlust. I must know everything about this. Were you the goon that built that homemade Peter Hurley rig?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I like the overall look, the sharpness is a tad overdone for my taste but not by much.

His tie should also be longer. It should hit your belt buckle.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the feedback, all!

8th-snype posted:

I Have No Neck, and I Must Leer. I think it works okay in the first and last one, but that 3/4 shot just looks awkward.

Jeeze, I didn't even notice that I selected neckless shots until you pointed it out. I was bokeh-hunting early on, and went for the head-forward picks. I may show some of the alts when I get home.

Verman posted:

I like the overall look, the sharpness is a tad overdone for my taste but not by much.

His tie should also be longer. It should hit your belt buckle.

I swear to god, Flickr adds sharpening to their files. It's quite noticeable on the match.

You're right about the tie, but he's a very tall dude, and that's how he wears it. I dug it.

red19fire posted:

Awesome, more fuel for my D800 bloodlust. I must know everything about this. Were you the goon that built that homemade Peter Hurley rig?

Honestly, there's nothing in these shots that's uniquely D800-level. A D600 could take the exact same photos. And with the 85mm 1.8 wide open (as it usually was) showing some slight softness, you'd probably be unable to see any difference even in large prints.

And while I'd love to have built a Hurley rig, that wasn't me. I was inspired by these uncredited shots here (anyone know who took these?) and decided to do a modified version of that light. The office has a couple of 4'x8' sheets of white and black foamcore used for presentations and occasional photography use. One of the white ones is cut in half, to make two 2'x8' planks. I stood each one up next to me, and bounced a hotlight off of each one. For the more directional light in the match shot, I turned one light off, and moved the other reflector off to the side a bit more.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

thetzar posted:

Honestly, there's nothing in these shots that's uniquely D800-level. A D600 could take the exact same photos. And with the 85mm 1.8 wide open (as it usually was) showing some slight softness, you'd probably be unable to see any difference even in large prints.

And while I'd love to have built a Hurley rig, that wasn't me. I was inspired by these uncredited shots here (anyone know who took these?) and decided to do a modified version of that light. The office has a couple of 4'x8' sheets of white and black foamcore used for presentations and occasional photography use. One of the white ones is cut in half, to make two 2'x8' planks. I stood each one up next to me, and bounced a hotlight off of each one. For the more directional light in the match shot, I turned one light off, and moved the other reflector off to the side a bit more.

Martin Schoeller! I knew that look was familiar. I have no idea how to get that much sharpness, somehow all my portraits like that just look soft.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

red19fire posted:

Martin Schoeller! I knew that look was familiar. I have no idea how to get that much sharpness, somehow all my portraits like that just look soft.

Pretty sure Schoeller shoots those on medium format.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

1st AD posted:

Pretty sure Schoeller shoots those on medium format.

According to this 2008 interview, he uses a Mamiya RZ67, Fuji 6x9s, and a Sinar 8x10" and exclusively shoots film. Cool to know, I've seen his work everywhere and had no idea.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Form today's photoshoot

5D3_7379-Edit by capacity4action, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I know newborn photography is less than popular here, but it's my new cousin so whatevs

105A4062_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I tried to do some newborn stuff for my nephew but he was being a little squirmy bitch and it was probably the most frustrating experience. Last time I ever offer to do that.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

CarrotFlowers posted:

I know newborn photography is less than popular here, but it's my new cousin so whatevs

105A4062_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

This is solid but maybe up the saturation on the cloth or pick something a little less rough next time. Cool idea it just seems a little bit off to wrap a baby in cheesecloth to me.

CROSS POSTIN' FROM PAD!
Three from a more unconventional headshot shoot I did yesterday. Guy is selling himself as an actor for aggressive characters, and wanted something to fit that.

RossieFull-8171 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

RossieFull-8137 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Bit annoyed at the background in that. May rework it.

RossieFull-8197 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

http://whenileftmybed.tumblr.com/post/84104098907/talent-ross-bussie-ross-met-me-at-a-party-where
I'd appreciate an rear end tearing since I haven't done this in a while.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Duckjob posted:

Form today's photoshoot

5D3_7379-Edit by capacity4action, on Flickr

I really like this, I just feel like it's oversharpened by a hair.

XTimmy posted:

This is solid but maybe up the saturation on the cloth or pick something a little less rough next time. Cool idea it just seems a little bit off to wrap a baby in cheesecloth to me.

CROSS POSTIN' FROM PAD!
Three from a more unconventional headshot shoot I did yesterday. Guy is selling himself as an actor for aggressive characters, and wanted something to fit that.

RossieFull-8171 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

RossieFull-8137 by TimFPictures, on Flickr

Bit annoyed at the background in that. May rework it.

http://whenileftmybed.tumblr.com/post/84104098907/talent-ross-bussie-ross-met-me-at-a-party-where

The posing is all right, I think you needed more props or more lighting for your location. There looks like a ton of stuff going on but it's consumed in a sea of darkness.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I crushed out alot of the background detail to provide separation, as lighting wasn't really an option in this case, you'd recommend more of the graffiti in 1 and 2? It's a murky mess in 3 due to the 200mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

XTimmy posted:

CROSS POSTIN' FROM PAD!

I would try making it completly black in the background... the grey spot doesn't add anything to the picture imho. Light is pretty interesting by itself :)