Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Entropic posted:

I believe you can in this case, because Desecration Demon is worded in a way that sets up a separate trigger for the tapping.

Triggered abilities have 'when', 'whenever', or 'at' in them. The "If you do," part has none of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So it all happens at once? It seems like it would be less ambiguous if they worded it so that the sacrifice was a cost to tap the demon. Or does that raise other issues?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

So it all happens at once? It seems like it would be less ambiguous if they worded it so that the sacrifice was a cost to tap the demon. Or does that raise other issues?

The ability 'block' on the stack is as follows:

"other ability"
"Player gets chance to sac, if they do it immediately becomes tapped"
"other ability"

It's one thing, no responses and the like.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Entropic posted:

This is the standard way to word this sort of effect (see Lotus Vale); I'm not sure how else they could word it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The confusing part is how "at x" is a trigger, but "if x" is not. I can see the logic to it, but it's ambiguous. It's really hard to word that kind of thing in a way that makes it clear it's all one trigger.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's not ambiguous, since the rules for what is a trigger are very explicit. Additionally the If doesn't start on its own line which is another clue. If it helps, perhaps think about it as a long run on sentence without that period there.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

The confusing part is how "at x" is a trigger, but "if x" is not. I can see the logic to it, but it's ambiguous. It's really hard to word that kind of thing in a way that makes it clear it's all one trigger.

It's not the most easily grokkable thing for someone new, but that's the way most similar effects have been worded, so it's kinda been growing into people with each one. Today's Desecration Demon is tomorrow's <other creature with similar effect>.

Actually, here's an idea. Think of it like Brainstorm. No chance of doing ANYTHING between drawing three and putting back two, it's all one effect.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Serperoth posted:

It's not the most easily grokkable thing for someone new, but that's the way most similar effects have been worded, so it's kinda been growing into people with each one. Today's Desecration Demon is tomorrow's <other creature with similar effect>.

Actually, here's an idea. Think of it like Brainstorm. No chance of doing ANYTHING between drawing three and putting back two, it's all one effect.
The problem is that the people that are having difficulties with DD probably don't play Legacy. You're right that is a nice way of explaining it to someone familiar with Brainstorm.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Think of it like Vexing Devil then.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Korak posted:

The problem is that the people that are having difficulties with DD probably don't play Legacy. You're right that is a nice way of explaining it to someone familiar with Brainstorm.

Vexing Devil also works, as Nehru said.
I was thinking more along the lines of an example to illustrate how the entire spell (effect, in DD's case) finishes resolving before anything else can happen, and Brainstorm was just the first obvious example that came to mind. As far as non-Legacy stuff goes...
Sphinx's Revelation? You gain the life and draw the cards, and nothing more happens while the spell resolves (barring replacement abilities or whatever). Or even Dissolve, similar case of two effects.

In DD's case, the two effects are linked, but it doesn't change anything.
Another way to think about it is like a computer programme.

The Stack brings up DD's effect
DD says this:
-Player can sac a creature
-If Player sacced, this happens
-Return to the Stack

It's kind of late for me actually, but I'm just coming up with ways to grok the effect.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It's definitely non-intuitive. Most people who understand how triggers work assume that once the trigger resolves and the player makes a choice, you can then respond again because it creates a second trigger, but that's not how it works. It's like Knowledge and Power: when you scry, KaP's trigger is put on the stack, and your opponent can respond. You don't pay the mana until KaP's trigger resolves, at which point you pay and then it does the damage and you don't have time to respond in between.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 24, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Sphinx Revelation is probably the best example for a Standard player. You can respond to the casting, you can respond after, but not mid-draw.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
With the command cycle of spells, in this case primal command, do I have to choose which 2 effects I want before decisions are made about whether or not the spell resolves?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

With the command cycle of spells, in this case primal command, do I have to choose which 2 effects I want before decisions are made about whether or not the spell resolves?

Yes. As you cast the spell, you choose what modes of it you will use.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah choosing modes is one of things you do before anyone has priority again.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Wow that sure was a lot of Vintage chat.

Here, have some tokens:

I wonder why the Minotaur doesn't have haste...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
They never put haste on tokens since it's only relevant for one turn.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

That snake looks awesome.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Sad Zombie looks adorable.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pontius Pilate posted:

'cept when they do.

Assemble the Legion, etc

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

MisterOblivious posted:

'cept when they do.

Assemble the Legion, etc

They make tokens with the ability Haste all the time. They don't put the word 'Haste' on the tokens they print to go with those token-makers. The White/Red Soldier tokens from Assemble the Legion don't have Haste printed on them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neat.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Wow that sure was a lot of Vintage chat.

Here, have some tokens:

I wonder why the Minotaur doesn't have haste...

That snake is happy snake buddies with Zendikar snake.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Attorney at Funk posted:

They make tokens with the ability Haste all the time. They don't put the word 'Haste' on the tokens they print to go with those token-makers. The White/Red Soldier tokens from Assemble the Legion don't have Haste printed on them.

Ahh, I didn't realize Pontius Pilate meant "They never put haste, as in print the word haste on the physical token, on tokens since it's only relevant for one turn."

Living up to my username like an idiot yet again

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Serperoth posted:

Vexing Devil also works, as Nehru said.

Apropos of nothing, but this makes me wish that Vexing Devil was legal with Athreos.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Which I don't quite get, because haste is only relevant on regular creatures for one turn as well. If there's room on the token for Reach, then there's room on the token for Haste. Sure, they can make the picture bigger, but who cares.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Textless tokens look way better and it's very difficult to end up with memory issues. I think it's the right call.

They're obviously not going to omit haste on real cards cause that makes no sense :v:

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sarcastro posted:

Which I don't quite get, because haste is only relevant on regular creatures for one turn as well. If there's room on the token for Reach, then there's room on the token for Haste. Sure, they can make the picture bigger, but who cares.

If they later print a card that makes 1/1 Red and White Soldiers, but without haste, you could use this token with that card as well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

After my creature (or my opponents creature!) is down for more than one turn I scratch the haste out on the card because its pointless text after that turn.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Real creatures can change zones and come back and such. If a token changes zones, it's gone forever. It's never going to be entering the battlefield on a different turn from when you last read the card that created it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Entropic posted:

Real creatures can change zones and come back and such. If a token changes zones, it's gone forever. It's never going to be entering the battlefield on a different turn from when you last read the card that created it.

But it might change controllers!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brownhat posted:

If they later print a card that makes 1/1 Red and White Soldiers, but without haste, you could use this token with that card as well.

Of course, there is a chance they would make tokens later with haste printed on it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

It's never going to be entering the battlefield on a different turn from when you last read the card that created it.

Populate :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I change my mind, they should print haste on the tokens.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLwknTd9aZQ

Proper deck building shown off in DotP 2015. Honestly with how slick everything looks on the ipad it really puts MTGO to shame.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Now do that with MODO.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Korak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLwknTd9aZQ

Proper deck building shown off in DotP 2015. Honestly with how slick everything looks on the ipad it really puts MTGO to shame.

That's cool and all, but these versions of the game are still really sub-par when you're used to upper echelon competitive play. It's great for casuals though, I guess.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What a Judas posted:

That's cool and all, but these versions of the game are still really sub-par when you're used to upper echelon competitive play. It's great for casuals though, I guess.

I think I'm the demo they're looking for, because I want MTGO but without spending shitloads of money. But they don't want to cannibalize that market too much, and I can't blame them. So we get dumbed-down versions with handicapped interfaces.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

What a Judas posted:

Casuals :smugbert:

Seriously, DOTP is not meant to be a replacement for regular old Magic. It's an "arcade game" style version, much simplified, used for getting people into the game. It's much more like puzzle magic, where it sets up specific situations you have to solve, and a deck-building exercise with limited resources.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Plus it's fun on the can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I bought the very first release of dotp several years ago on xbox live and played it for all of half an hour. Seems like it would be ok if you could play limited against other people for free or something, but for constructed competitive it didn't (doesn't?) compare to mtgo at all in any way.

I think lots more people would be ok with paying money for cards if the client wasn't so bad. The beta brings my fairly decent gaming pc to its knees :(.

• Locked thread