Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

in the incredibly unlikely event I was asked to carry one I would resign which is an attitude shared by a lot of the officers I serve with (regulars and specials.)

:stare:

I didn't realize that UK police were never routinely armed, so I can see how that changes how you react to the issue, but I still don't understand your aversion to it.

So if your station came under fire again and your supervisors ordered you to take up arms, you'd just resign and walk away?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Personally I would hate to carry a firearm and in the incredibly unlikely event I was asked to carry one I would resign which is an attitude shared by a lot of the officers I serve with (regulars and specials.)

Are you saying that you'd resign if your department moved to full time armed enforcement, or that you'd resign if you had to respond to an incident which might require deadly force? Not faulting you either way, just curious.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has a cop goon ever acted on information he got from the forums? (Like bust a tcc poster trying to push drugs across state lines.)

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
If my department moved to carrying firearms full time I would quit.

It probably sounds like a bit of an extreme position but we've only had 6 officers shot in the last 40 years and there are about 35000 officers in my force. If someone pulled a knife or tried to bottle me in the neck I could hypothetically easily kill them with my Asp and I don't have a problem using justified force but I didn't sign up to join a para-military force and I would hate to think a bad decision could lead to me shooting someone with a chair leg in a bag or with a mobile phone in their hand as we have done before.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Turtlicious posted:

Has a cop goon ever acted on information he got from the forums? (Like bust a tcc poster trying to push drugs across state lines.)

:ssh:

I seriously doubt it

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Turtlicious posted:

No loving way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There was the time where there was a tcc meetup planned and they rented a campground for it or something, and they called the campground and told them it was a drug meetup and they cancelled, or something like that. Someone probably has the link.

EDIT: Found it, doesn't sound like anyone was arrested over it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1089

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

When did British police disarm, and has it resulted in more violence against police? Would people have rioted like they did last year (or was it 2 years ago) if all the police were armed? Or to better phrase that, would the police response, and the response of the rioters, been different had a greater show of force been present?

The corollary to this question is "Are there neighborhoods you, as policemen, simply will not enter / respond to calls from, for fear of being unable to ensure your own safety?"

The question of preventing the riots becomes another broken-windows question - if cops felt safer / more secure going into troubled spots, would the added presence reduce the general sense of lawlessness that acts as a prerequisite to rioting?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I swear to god if this turns into a gun control thread I will ban people. Namaste.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I swear to god if this turns into a gun control thread I will ban people. Namaste.

Are guns triggering to you?

:haw:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Brother, you've got some issues that you're carrying, openly.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

LongDarkNight posted:

Brother, you've got some issues that you're carrying, openly.

Watch out, Whip might whip you... with his pistol.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Why do you keep probating people for posting jokes? (This is a question)

Also post this thread in A/T it would be more interesting there.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Barent posted:

We tried that a while ago and the mods there shut it down pretty quickly.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Barent posted:

Thankfully the Something Awful forums don't have a limit on the number of posts it can allow, so no one is stopping you from posting your own A/T thread.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

If my department moved to carrying firearms full time I would quit.

It probably sounds like a bit of an extreme position but we've only had 6 officers shot in the last 40 years and there are about 35000 officers in my force. If someone pulled a knife or tried to bottle me in the neck I could hypothetically easily kill them with my Asp and I don't have a problem using justified force but I didn't sign up to join a para-military force and I would hate to think a bad decision could lead to me shooting someone with a chair leg in a bag or with a mobile phone in their hand as we have done before.

I can understand your position and respect you for it. Hell, I have tons of respect for anybody that would go out and assume the added risk of a lethal attack (granted, there is added risk from carrying a firearm as well) and still do unarmed patrol policing.

I can say that in my entire experience carrying firearms, I have never once worried about shooting someone wrongfully. I'm very comfortable and confident in my ability to assess and use force, and although I realize that as a human being I'll never be perfect and I could make a mistake that ends somebody's life, it is such a remote possibility that I've never worried about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Barent posted:

GiP has a long-standing rule against puns, ask forums user Snowdens Secret -- his puns are actually funny.

Edit: also 6 hour probations are the Jim Belushi of probations

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 24, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
6 hour probations are jokes most of the time, or you actually need a little time out. Either way, something something target, gun pun.

I've kind of blown my load early on the puns.

:haw:

An actual question, What do you do when you see or hear about a crime when you're off duty? Are you expected to go get your badge and your cuffs or..? Do you guys have a special thing to say to your local police station so they know you're a cop reporting a crime? Do your calls get priority?

E: What is your coolest, or funniest, cop story?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 24, 2014

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Have you guys ever encountered something like THIS?

More serious question: What do you guys do when you see someone speed past you, obviously going well over the speed limit, when you're off duty?

I've always wondered because I've been driving long enough I'm sure I've sped past an off duty officer at speeds that would definitely get me a ticket before. That, and I've often had thought to myself, upon seeing someone drive like more of a jackass than me, "I wish I was a cop in an unmarked cop car right now, just so I can ruin the day for this stupid kid with his horribly modded Civic."

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

When I'm off duty, I'm off duty. I'll call in the occasional drunk driver, but unless I walk into a robbery or shooting I couldn't care less.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Generally if I'm calling 911 I'll just say I'm an off duty cop. I could care less about speeding. I always have my badge and a gun on me off duty, I don't carry cuffs around but I know officers that do.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I keep a pair in my car on the off chance that I were to see a cop fighting with someone on the side of the road.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Thankfully the Something Awful forums don't have a limit on the number of posts it can allow, so no one is stopping you from posting your own A/T thread.

[ASK] me about being an ACAB/FTP poster.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
A question for the AusGoons or anyone who might know.

In this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoMRAcutAmY

A guy gets found in the driving seat of a car after crashing into a kerb whilst obviously hammered, but after the copper finds out his name, he gives him a choice to just walk away, and offers the choice of taking him down the station for the evidential breath test. If the guy had just said "yeh, I'll walk off now thanks", would the cop have let him? Why didn't he just do him there for suspicion of drink driving and take him in for that? Have I read it completely wrong?

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 24, 2014

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Almost. He was arrested to confirm his identity, once they found out who he was he was no longer under arrest. He was asking him "if you want to go, of your own free will (back to the station), that would be fantastic". The cop just wanted him to come back peacefully. I'm sure if he further refused he would be re-arrested outright for suspicion of drink driving and taken back anyway.

My state cuts all that out, if the first test is high, you are detained and must go back to the station, any refusal or pissing around is an obstruct charge.

Classic video though, you have to give him points for trying some good excuses.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

:stare:

I didn't realize that UK police were never routinely armed, so I can see how that changes how you react to the issue, but I still don't understand your aversion to it.

So if your station came under fire again and your supervisors ordered you to take up arms, you'd just resign and walk away?

That scenario is so unlikely it doesn't even warrant considering. We have armed officers on borough all the time with more than enough firepower to kill anyone genuinely presenting a risk to life, it would almost be a day-z scenario for beat officers to be given guns.

If I was asked to undertake emergency firearms training during a protracted period of civil disorder I would refuse. If they insisted, yes, I would resign. Apparently last time the Police Federation asked if Police wanted to be routinely armed 82% said no.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

[ASK] me about being an ACAB/FTP poster.

It makes reading this thread both terrifying, illuminating, and hilarious at all the same time.

I have a question for the UK cop, do you think the reason UK and other countries haven't moved to decriminalization and legalization of pot is because of your lax enforcement of it?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

are american police required to take an ethics class when they are at the police academy and what is covered in that class? same question for british police.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

That scenario is so unlikely it doesn't even warrant considering. We have armed officers on borough all the time with more than enough firepower to kill anyone genuinely presenting a risk to life, it would almost be a day-z scenario for beat officers to be given guns.

If I was asked to undertake emergency firearms training during a protracted period of civil disorder I would refuse. If they insisted, yes, I would resign. Apparently last time the Police Federation asked if Police wanted to be routinely armed 82% said no.

There's a question in here about the Peelian Principles in modern times, and perhaps more specifically if the existence of riots implies the public support / cooperation the Principles depend on has for whatever reason been reduced or lost, regardless of police behavior.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 24, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I think when I stopped working in the ammo/armor business there were something like 32k uniformed NYPD and a bunch of departments that fell under the City Wide Service administration (Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Police, Department of Homeless Services Police, Parks Service, NYC Sanitation Police, etc). With the auxiliaries the total number of uniformed police in the 5 boroughs was some staggering number, I mean, 60k at the time.

Many of the Departments would issue body armor to officers, and not a sidearm. This was the case with many of the departments falling under the CWS administration. The reason being that these officers weren't actively patrolling, but more likely to get stabbed than shot (homeless shelters, bus stops and mental wards being prime places for this). Even after telling them the aramid vest they were wearing was not going to do a lot to stop a knife, CWS still paid out a 7 million dollar contract to supply every cop with a ballistic NIJ IIIA vest.

So far so good. Those departments that haven't issued sidearms haven't had any shootings. My question is this, for US and Canadian cops: would you work for a police agency that did not issue you a sidearm?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

It makes reading this thread both terrifying, illuminating, and hilarious at all the same time.

I have a question for the UK cop, do you think the reason UK and other countries haven't moved to decriminalization and legalization of pot is because of your lax enforcement of it?

That is probably pretty close to the mark. Just like the rest of the western world it's consumption is absolutely rife over here and unless it's kids are using it, it's just an issue that has a blind eye turned to it. Cultivation on a commercial scale is still cracked down on, in my experience the people growning dozens of plants are usually scumbags who are up to all sorts of horrible poo poo.

The feeling among most of my colleagues and myself is that if the drug isn't socially destructive like crack or smack then it should be legalized, taxed and regulated. I'm sure someone from TCC could come over here and tell me that you can be a user of crack or smack and still live a functional productive life but I don't agree and from what I've seen, they breed crime.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I've personally seen a family member's life destroyed thanks to heroin and alcohol addiction, so I'm under no false pretenses about evil fun hating cops on that account, even if I think the way the jail end side of the equation handles it horribly.

Thanks for the answer man.

One last question for any cop here, has there been any time you've gotten a extremely funny (in retrospect) false alarm. Like the kid who had the cops called on him because he beat a ten year old at COD or something.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 24, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I had a guy call 911 because he smelled a skunk and thought it was a natural gas leak. I waited in the car until I was done laughing, then I went to talk to him a bit. The firefighters were also entertained :)

"Zero, um... this is five. Red Leader advises us that skunks are not normally flammable, so I'm clear this call."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I got called for a squirrel stuck in this ladies chimney once. I told her to just wait it out, keep the flue closed and it would either escape out the top, or not. She was horrified by that thought and assumed I'd catch it somehow :iia:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

They usually die in the chimney and stink up the house.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

beanieson posted:

I got called for a squirrel stuck in this ladies chimney once. I told her to just wait it out, keep the flue closed and it would either escape out the top, or not. She was horrified by that thought and assumed I'd catch it somehow :iia:

Welp, we can't do anything and animal control works 9-5 soooo... have a good night!

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

I think when I stopped working in the ammo/armor business there were something like 32k uniformed NYPD and a bunch of departments that fell under the City Wide Service administration (Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Police, Department of Homeless Services Police, Parks Service, NYC Sanitation Police, etc). With the auxiliaries the total number of uniformed police in the 5 boroughs was some staggering number, I mean, 60k at the time.

Many of the Departments would issue body armor to officers, and not a sidearm. This was the case with many of the departments falling under the CWS administration. The reason being that these officers weren't actively patrolling, but more likely to get stabbed than shot (homeless shelters, bus stops and mental wards being prime places for this). Even after telling them the aramid vest they were wearing was not going to do a lot to stop a knife, CWS still paid out a 7 million dollar contract to supply every cop with a ballistic NIJ IIIA vest.

So far so good. Those departments that haven't issued sidearms haven't had any shootings. My question is this, for US and Canadian cops: would you work for a police agency that did not issue you a sidearm?

My first department didn't issue me a firearm, so I had to carry my own personal xd40 until I could afford a glock 22.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yea, my dept doesn't issue weapons either, I had to buy my own pistol.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Harry in Rio posted:

So far so good. Those departments that haven't issued sidearms haven't had any shootings.

In 2006, two on-duty Auxiliary members of the NYPD were shot and killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

beanieson posted:

Yea, my dept doesn't issue weapons either, I had to buy my own pistol.

Do they give you guidelines? Like it must be .40 and 10 rounds? Or can you go out and buy a single action army in drop holster.

• Locked thread