Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The only way I would go buy a car that far away is through eBay because there is a little bit of buyers protection.

But yeah, face to face communication is the best. I have had people show up and try to low ball me and unless I want it gone and they start whipping out cash, I stick to what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

But see, some people try to take advantage of this and assume you're going to cave "under pressure". I get much more upset if someone lowballs me to my face after wasting my time. I once told a guy that drove from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car I was selling to gently caress off because he believed it had been in an accident and tried to lowball me like an idiot. He probably thought for some reason I'd cave because he drove all that way to get the car. He thought wrong and I sent him kicking rocks.

I had some guy being a dumbass over a laptop I was selling a month ago... I listed at $400, he offered $330, I told him I'd take $360 and then he made arrangements to come look at it. After over an hour of travel time + being too loving dumb to use a map, he shows up, pretends it has more problems than there really were, and offers me $330. :byewhore: I kind of enjoyed that, even, because while he wasted 30 minutes of my own time, he wasted more like 3 hours of his own for being too loving dumb to read.

Anyway, this may be gold? Too bad I don't really want an automatic:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4425042864.html

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

leica posted:

I once told a guy that drove from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car I was selling to gently caress off because he believed it had been in an accident and tried to lowball me like an idiot. He probably thought for some reason I'd cave because he drove all that way to get the car. He thought wrong and I sent him kicking rocks.

I had the same thing happen. Dude drove from Midland to Austin (6 hours) with a trailer to buy my Porsche. I told him ahead of time that I had a standing offer from another buyer, but when he got there he wanted to pay me $2000 less. Dude was was MEGA pissed that I wouldn't go lower than the cash offer I had from another buyer (well, actually like 3 other back-up buyers).

When I sell a car now, any time a person asks to come and see it I always say something to the effect of "I am asking $2000, I already have several offers at $1,800. I tell you this just to make sure you don't waste your time".

It seems to work most of the time.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 22, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tai-Pan posted:

I had the same thing happen. Dude drove from Midland to Austin (6 hours) with a trailer to buy my Porsche. I told him ahead of time that I had a standing offer from another buyer, but when he got there he wanted to pay me $2000 less. Dude was was MEGA pissed that I wouldn't go lower than the cash offer I had from another buyer (well, actually like 3 other back-up buyers).

He was probably (or should have been) pissed at himself for taking a gamble and losing, maybe he used that tactic before and it worked for him. Unfortunately for some buyers I've been around the block a few times and have no qualms telling people with cash in their hand to gently caress off if I don't like the way they are negotiating. Sometimes I think some of these buyers have never been told no because they act surprised that I won't take a lowball offer just because they have cash in hand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My favorite are the guys who agree with your price and then show up missing between 10-25% of the cash on hand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My favorite are the guys who agree with your price and then show up missing between 10-25% of the cash on hand.

That's why I never bargain before I show up (for anything on CL, not just cars) and when I do show up I bring the full amount in cash. That way there's no element of "we had a deal", I'm just coming to see the item and maybe make an offer if I like it, that offer being something up to the full asking price.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
OK I officially love this truck and it has amazing pictures. It's like a Swedish murder mystery show in here.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1974-international-harvester-scout/585914516

I need to get better at automotive photography so I can take shots like this in the winter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Sometimes I think some of these buyers have never been told no because they act surprised that I won't take a lowball offer just because they have cash in hand.

To be fair, given the number of people who flake as buyers on CL, it probably works entirely too often.

I had this happen when selling my old Volvo 240 for $250 :pwn:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I couldn't tell it was an Eta or not. Pretty much SOP for E30s any more. Its a good thing I don't want an E30!

Any 325 before 87 is going to be an eta and any BMW 325/325e is going to be an eta as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's why I never bargain before I show up (for anything on CL, not just cars) and when I do show up I bring the full amount in cash. That way there's no element of "we had a deal", I'm just coming to see the item and maybe make an offer if I like it, that offer being something up to the full asking price.

I generally follow this practice, but I've made a habit of asking if they're flexible on price (without asking if they'll take X price) before I decide to drive out of my way to meet them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rscott posted:

Any 325 before 87 is going to be an eta and any BMW 325/325e is going to be an eta as well.

To add to the confusion some eta models (in 1987-1988) were also badged as "325i/325is" in Canada for some loving reason only known to BMW.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

leica posted:

But see, some people try to take advantage of this and assume you're going to cave "under pressure". I get much more upset if someone lowballs me to my face after wasting my time. I once told a guy that drove from Atlanta to Tampa to buy a car I was selling to gently caress off because he believed it had been in an accident and tried to lowball me like an idiot. He probably thought for some reason I'd cave because he drove all that way to get the car. He thought wrong and I sent him kicking rocks.

Yeah, my advice is for goon buyers. As a seller, the advice would be the opposite: don't be swayed by your social impulse to cut them a break even if you think they're a nice person and they like your favorite sports team or whatever, and if you can get them to agree to a price before meeting face to face, that might be better.

If you're an experienced seller, then you don't need my advice here.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I generally follow this practice, but I've made a habit of asking if they're flexible on price (without asking if they'll take X price) before I decide to drive out of my way to meet them.

I've done this when I thought the seller was pretty far out of line with actual market value. I basically said "I don't want to negotiate via email, however I think you are priced pretty high. Before I come out there to look I just want to make sure that you are willing to negotiate on price." Worked out well and I ended up buying the bike.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This happened when I sold the SHO. Dude rolled up in a $40,000 truck pulling a huge trailer and handed me $200 less than what we'd agreed on over the phone. I was pissed but it was okay in the end, that car had a few problems I had neglected to mention so it was all good in the end.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I jack my price up a bit more than I actually want so that I can let people think they are getting a good deal.

Usually works out pretty well. Sometimes it doesn't.

At this point I don't NEED to sell anything I have so lowballers just get mocked and/or ignored depending on my mood at the time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like how the word "lowballer" has morphed in the minds of Craiglisters from its original meaning (an offer well below the market value of a thing) to the new meaning (any offer below my asking price). Like, gently caress off lowballers, I want $12k for this rusted out heap and if you offer $11,800, I'll be personally offended.

Many of these idiots put "OBO" in their ad at the same time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed.

I'm talking specifically about the asswad who offered me $200 on a complete snowplow setup I was asking $700 for.

And the one who offered me $150 for a 1 ton truck front differential assembly I was asking $550 for.

And the other one who offered me $300 for another similar differential I was asking $750 for.

And the retards offering me scrap price for a van I was asking $1500 for, then arguing with me and telling me it was only worth $300 in scrap. Great loving news, buddy, I'm selling it as a vehicle, not scrap, and the price reflects that. If I want to loving scrap it, I can go do that myself or sell it to literally any other scrapper in town because you just pissed me off. (I ended up selling this one to a different scrapper for 500. I probably could have gotten more, but I was tired of looking at it, had already gotten over 2000 miles of towing use out of it, and only had $650 into it. Not much of a loss really.)

gently caress em all.

I was negotiable on all of those things, but not "less than half my asking price" negotiable.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 23, 2014

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Kastivich posted:

I've done this when I thought the seller was pretty far out of line with actual market value. I basically said "I don't want to negotiate via email, however I think you are priced pretty high. Before I come out there to look I just want to make sure that you are willing to negotiate on price." Worked out well and I ended up buying the bike.

Actually, I try to negotiate over email for CL items all the time. Not for cars, but for more static things such as a crib I bought. Not much your can really hide about a crib and it saves me the trouble of trying to negotiate on the spot.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bought the E30 over craiglist, asked the dude if he'd take $1350, he said yes with literally zero hesitation and then was like, "aw man you brought the full $1500 with you?". I would have paid him the $1500 if he said no so I kind of wonder what I should have started at.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I'm still the only one who had a potential buyer say "I think Jesus wants you to sell me this $6000 truck for $1000" and then try to Christian guilt the gently caress out of me over email for a week.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

I think I'm still the only one who had a potential buyer say "I think Jesus wants you to sell me this $6000 truck for $1000" and then try to Christian guilt the gently caress out of me over email for a week.

What in the blue gently caress is wrong with the people that live in your state?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

What in the blue gently caress is wrong with the people that live in your state?

This is the same state where, after leaving the voting station last election, an old woman outside stopped me and asked "You didn't vote for that N****R did you?"

I don't know why I fight so hard to stay here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

Jesus also wants me to beat the stupid out of you.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I know this is a terrible idea, but I still love these cars....

190e 2.3-16v Cosworth Mercedes Benz, BBS RS, Coilovers - $8000 (Tumwater)

and yes, I do remember the goon(name is escaping me) who bought one and had nothing but trouble and then sold it to another goon. Asking price seems to be rather high as well. God only knows what issues it has.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I don't know why I fight so hard to stay here.

So don't. Head out west. We have cookies rust-free cars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

I know this is a terrible idea, but I still love these cars....

190e 2.3-16v Cosworth Mercedes Benz, BBS RS, Coilovers - $8000 (Tumwater)

and yes, I do remember the goon(name is escaping me) who bought one and had nothing but trouble and then sold it to another goon. Asking price seems to be rather high as well. God only knows what issues it has.

It was DV. I saw that ad earlier today actually not really sure it seems worth 8k imo

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Negromancer posted:

Asking price seems to be rather high as well. God only knows what issues it has.

Notice the word 'feeler'. I hate fuckers that do this, especially the retard selling a beat up and/or riced out Integra or something. 'Feeler' is usually followed by the phrase 'I don't need to sell, no low ballers, test pilots, etc, etc'.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Those cosworth s have been slowly going up in price for a while now though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

It was DV. I saw that ad earlier today actually not really sure it seems worth 8k imo

I had a feeling it was him. And yea, not worth $8k. I know they are rare in the US, but still not worth it.

Joe Mama posted:

Notice the word 'feeler'. I hate fuckers that do this, especially the retard selling a beat up and/or riced out Integra or something. 'Feeler' is usually followed by the phrase 'I don't need to sell, no low ballers, test pilots, etc, etc'.

I can kinda understand "feeler" threads on specific car forums, but on CL It just seems to be a giant red flag that the person selling it probably would demand more than their "asking" price in the ad.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I looked at one of those once, and did my research. Certain parts are NLA which means finding them will be a huge PITA. Cam sprockets were one big one I noticed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

So don't. Head out west. We have cookies rust-free cars.

You had me at cookies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyway, this may be gold? Too bad I don't really want an automatic:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4425042864.html

Don't like to self quote but have any of you owned one of these? I decided it looks pretty great for the price so I'll go look... $3500 will almost buy you a 15 year old Hyundai around here, so I'm wondering if it's got big problems or if he just doesn't know what he's doing. I'm looking tomorrow. Seller seems like he's not a total moron, which is nice.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

he got an email from jesus@heaven.org

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

Don't know if you're being facetious or not, but the car in your link isn't an M, and it's automatic. The one I linked is not only an M635, it's a euro model with the full 286 HP, not the detuned 260 that the US officially got.

Yeah just bad sarcasm. The silver one I posted is a neat car, but it's nothing special.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Negromancer posted:

Asking price seems to be rather high as well.

cl prices around me on the cosworth's have been going up over the past year, I think it's a side effect of whatever has made everyone decide they NEED an e30 m3

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The best possible setting for your car's Craigslist photo:

Also, hatred seats!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

blk posted:

The best possible setting for your car's Craigslist photo:

Also, hatred seats!

"All right!"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rhyno posted:

You had me at cookies.

No! Come to New England! We're cold and sarcastic, our cars all rust away and our winters are frigid!

...wait...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

AHAHAHAA Hold on, I have to wipe a tear from my eye. "Salvage title at 12000 mile ... guess is due to how New and the cost" Please tell me people don't fall for this kind of crap. I'm sure they wrote off a new car because it had almost no damage :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't know what this is, but it looks clean. I have a feeling that's way overpriced too.

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/4405755695.html

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 24, 2014