Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
OEM top. I have the side latches, and I have both halves of the passenger side rear latch that broke. It looks fixable (if bothersome), I will probably just live with only having one rear latch for now and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The rear latches are a big part of the adjustment, it's a balance between all six and every car is different. If you have one worn out latch it can throw off the whole thing, so replace any worn latches as well as try to fix the busted one. It may seem fine at first, but once it settles you'll be adjusting and re-adjusting.

I can see it not being an issue for Spec racing because you're never gonna hear any rattles (or care) when you're racing, but for a DD it gets annoying.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It sounds like a good excuse to practice welding. A latch failing isn't going to kill you, but you would still have to make a pretty good joint to make sure it holds up.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I gots a problem, guys.

I took my 1990 in for a New Hampshire state inspection on Friday and got failed for ride height. Apparently the state is cracking down on getting shops to enforce things like this, so I'm not optimistic about getting a sticker at another shop.

From the ground to the bottom of my bumper support was 13.25", where the minimum is 16". I'm riding on a 10 year old FM spring and KYB AGX setup that has sagged over time. Hub center to fender lip I'm at 12" in the front and 12.375" in the back. I've wanted to replace this setup for some time, as it rides like crap, but now it's gotten more urgent. A set of threaded coilovers seems like the way to go, either 949's Tecnas (whenever those finally get released) or a Ground Control and Bilstein setup. What's the max ride height I can expect out of a setup like this?

Car in question:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the ground to pinch weld height? (fender to hub center is awful)

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Konrad posted:

What's the max ride height I can expect out of a setup like this?

3 inches higher sounds a lot like OEM. Is that 16" minimum specific to your model of Miata or just a standard level?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can't you throw on some spring rubbers just to pass? Or try a different inspection station.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd get coilovers and jack it up for the test then drop it back after. I had GC and R package bilsteins and it was a nice budget setup. If you don't do track stuff with the car I'd just do that. Otherwise spend more money on a more serious setup.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Phone posted:

What's the ground to pinch weld height? (fender to hub center is awful)

I'll have to check when I get home. Fender to hub center does seem to leave a little grey area as to exactly where to eyeball the reference points.

Edmund Honda posted:

3 inches higher sounds a lot like OEM. Is that 16" minimum specific to your model of Miata or just a standard level?

It's a standard level. 16" does seem really high, I'm not sure my car met it even when new. Now I want to measure the height my dad's stock 2000.

Elephanthead posted:

Can't you throw on some spring rubbers just to pass? Or try a different inspection station.

3" might be a bit too much to do with spring rubbers and I want to replace the suspension anyway. I'm perfectly willing bring the ride height up once a year for inspection, then put it back and take my chances the rest of the time. This same mechanic has passed my car before, but he says that the DOT has been going around to the stations when they renew their certification and emphasizing compliance with things that they used to be more lax with. I've heard similar stories lately from some of the 4x4 guys getting rejected at multiple stations. Actual on-road enforcement should be easier to evade if I avoid attracting attention, especially if I keep the new daily ride height a bit higher.

Larrymer posted:

I'd get coilovers and jack it up for the test then drop it back after. I had GC and R package bilsteins and it was a nice budget setup. If you don't do track stuff with the car I'd just do that. Otherwise spend more money on a more serious setup.

That's what I plan to do, but I want to know if it's reasonable to expect the adjustment range to go that high. I'd really rather not dick around with tires and spacers if I can avoid it. The current tires are vintage 2007 195/50R14 Azenis (also getting replaced when the 4th gen 6ULs come out).

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Konrad posted:

The current tires are vintage 2007 195/50R14 Azenis (also getting replaced when the 4th gen 6ULs come out).

Conveniently those are ~1" smaller in diameter compared to standard (185/60R14 is OEM for the NA, right?) so that's another little gain.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They didn't make Azenis in 50 aspect, the tire is 195/60R14. Typo on his part.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Yeah, I mis-typed that. The tires a tad taller than factory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sorting my tools today and decided to put together an emergency kit for the Miata. I don't want a full tool kit rolling around back there so what sockets other than 10mm should I worry about?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm only familiar with the NA/NB, but I can't imagine that the NC is that different: 10, 12, 14 (get a deep 6 point one, too), 17, 21, and whatever torx bits you need. Add a Phillips screwdriver to the mix and you can basically take apart the entire car minus stuff like the O2 sensor or trans/diff plugs/fill holes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

I'm only familiar with the NA/NB, but I can't imagine that the NC is that different: 10, 12, 14 (get a deep 6 point one, too), 17, 21, and whatever torx bits you need. Add a Phillips screwdriver to the mix and you can basically take apart the entire car minus stuff like the O2 sensor or trans/diff plugs/fill holes.

That's pretty much what I went with. Tossed an first aid kit and some pliers in just I'm case. Thanks!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

That's pretty much what I went with. Tossed an first aid kit and some pliers in just I'm case. Thanks!

I would toss in some box wrenches in the 10/12/14/17 as well, since there are some things that you need to hold a nut on (alt/PS mount through-bolts) that you could conceivably see a reason to do on teh side of the road.

You ARE keeping old belts in the trunk as spares, right?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 21, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beach Bum posted:

I would toss in some box wrenches in the 10/12/14/17 as well, since there are some things that you need to hold a nut on (alt/PS mount through-bolts) that you could conceivably see a reason to do on teh side of the road.

You ARE keeping old belts in the truck as spares, right?

I need to pick up a set of spare wrenches. Somehow I'm down to just one of each metric. Must have lost a toolbox along the way somewhere. And I will keep the old belt when I do that service.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Rhyno posted:

I need to pick up a set of spare wrenches. Somehow I'm down to just one of each metric. Must have lost a toolbox along the way somewhere. And I will keep the old belt when I do that service.

I dunno about NC's but for NA/NB you can also toss in a 15 for a few things. Like the sway bar end link that I forgot to tighten down when I took it out of storage and dumped a nut somewhere on the highway. I want to say a clutch line fitting is 15 too? But yeah 10/12/14 is the majority of the car. I also tucked a small set of jumper cables in the void behind the spare tire, and leave a quart of oil in the spare itself.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I tried sitting in Maximus' NA at the PacNW AI meet and was surprised how poorly I fit - my legs are too long, even with the seat all the way back. I fit fine in the last NA I sat in. Does anyone else with a 32" + inseam have this problem?

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Welp, I found another shop that'll inspect my car the way it is. They seemed mystified by my story from shop #1.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Does this sound like a common/known issue to anybody? My 97 started running like rear end today. I was cruising in 4th and it started to stumble, noticeably down on power. Pulled over, and it really wanted to stall, sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders at best. It would rev relatively freely, but barely stayed idling. Shut it down for 10 minutes or so, reseated every electrical connection in the engine bay, all plug wires, started it up, same thing. Decided to limp it home, got about 5 minutes with the same symptoms, until I got to a steep hill. Severely lost power at this point, even in first, I barely, barely made it up, it was coughing and sputtering and smelled like gas. Foot to the floor in first, barely kept it above idle and moving. Got over the hill, clutched in, gave it a few revs, and like a light switch, it was back to normal, drove the remaining 15 minutes home with no issue. No CEL at any time during this.

Ideas? It has sat for the past few months but I drove it last week for several hours without issue.

Installed the replacement CAS this afternoon (thanks again Phone), along with a new CAS O Ring (I have 9 more if anyone needs one), and a new valve cover gasket since it needed one anyway and having the VC off makes the CAS a million times easier. Ran beautifully for about 10 minutes, then the same exact symptoms. Pretty much has to be coil pack at this point right?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Could be plugs / wires too. I'd do wires first, they're easier/less expensive than coil packs.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, I figured out where my creak was coming from while switching out my snows

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haha, remember when we told you springs don't wear out? You just won that debate. :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Installed the replacement CAS this afternoon (thanks again Phone), along with a new CAS O Ring (I have 9 more if anyone needs one), and a new valve cover gasket since it needed one anyway and having the VC off makes the CAS a million times easier. Ran beautifully for about 10 minutes, then the same exact symptoms. Pretty much has to be coil pack at this point right?

TrueChaos posted:

Could be plugs / wires too. I'd do wires first, they're easier/less expensive than coil packs.

Yeah, start squeezing plug wires. I discovered my set is going bad after I shocked the poo poo out of myself the other night.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

craig588 posted:

Haha, remember when we told you springs don't wear out? You just won that debate. :)

Yeah, 8 years of Wisconsin winters will do that to a car, sadly. I've resigned myself to just parting out what I can from the Miata once my credit cards are paid off and buying something new. Once upon a time I dreamed of stuffing a 20b in this thing :sigh:

Edit: so, considering I will need new springs after all, should I just go with yellows plus stock springs or is there a better all in one setup for 600 or less?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 24, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, start squeezing plug wires. I discovered my set is going bad after I shocked the poo poo out of myself the other night.

Plugs are a few months old, PO replaced the wires before I bought it so they have less than 2000 miles on them. I did play with every wire and connection on each end with no change. Gonna try the coil pack first then wires.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So after hearing the latest invoice for repairs on my 1999 Volvo S80 I'm thinking it's time to buy a new car. I thought about going to the "what car should I get" thread, but I already have a pretty good idea based on price and what I want out of it, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here instead. Now that I have a little more money than I did when I got the Volvo, and I kinda want something fun too, a Miata sounds pretty good.

Anyways, does anyone have experience with Mazda dealerships around Connecticut?

This is also my first time really making a big auto purchase. I bought the Volvo through an auto repair place my family's gone to for years, and I've had it for a decade. I figure the Miata will take a bit more effort. Does anyone have any advice on purchasing something like this in general? I know to take it to an independent repair place to be checked out if possible. Is there anything else I should know? How far to negotiate with a used car place, or how much over the sticker price to put up with before walking? Things like that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's your budget?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adventure Pigeon posted:

This is also my first time really making a big auto purchase. I bought the Volvo through an auto repair place my family's gone to for years, and I've had it for a decade. I figure the Miata will take a bit more effort.

Quite the opposite actually, compared to your Volvo a Miata will be a walk in the park.

Also don't buy a used Miata from a dealer.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Phone posted:

What's your budget?

15-20k

leica posted:

Quite the opposite actually, compared to your Volvo a Miata will be a walk in the park.

Also don't buy a used Miata from a dealer.

Where do you think the best place to look would be?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Craigslist.

Go buy a used NC2 or NC3 (basically 09+). There should be plenty of next to no mile examples out there. Only concern is that the prices are going to be a bit inflated because it's now spring.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I went the other way to a Volvo and fondly remember NA-NB Miata as slightly cramped but a lot more straightforward in terms of maintenance. And not a torx in sight.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adventure Pigeon posted:

15-20k

Where do you think the best place to look would be?

If you're looking to get a NC you might not have much of a choice, but go private party if you can, you'll save a lot of money and buying through used car dealerships sucks donkey balls.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you mount wheels on an NB Miata body without any brake rotors? I'm assuming not and they'll bump into things, but it'd make saving the big brake kit from this car easier before I load the body onto a trailer for scrap.

Edit: Why am I reusing brake rotors? They're so new they still have the machining marks, you can't see any sort of brake wear on them.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 27, 2014

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

craig588 posted:

Can you mount wheels on an NB Miata body without any brake rotors? I'm assuming not and they'll bump into things, but it'd make saving the big brake kit from this car easier before I load the body onto a trailer for scrap.

Edit: Why am I reusing brake rotors? They're so new they still have the machining marks, you can't see any sort of brake wear on them.

Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do, but maybe a ton of washers would suffice?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
If you're just pulling it onto the trailer gently caress it. If the lugnuts are open ended you should be fine, if not things might be a bit wobbly.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
All you'd need is a couple of spacers on two opposing studs to take up any potential wobble room. Maybe like larger diameter nuts or a piece of plywood.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ah, good idea about the washers, thanks. If I'm lucky I'll have this car gone and just a pile of parts by next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

There's worse pictures on Autotrader. I've been scanning them daily.
I'm pretty sure it spun and hit the back and the front ends.

I'd bet there's a lot worse underneath.

Looks to be a poo poo year to own 99 AE in Ontario