Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I would be absolutely shocked if CLG didn't go overseas for a toplaner.

They have already done it once, and I don't know of any really standout players in NA challenger/Diamond 1. Chances are that you are probably correct in your assumption that they might go overseas, although you never know. They could grab Chauster because he has played pretty much everything at some point, and he is usually willing to help out Doublelift.

Overseas doesn't necessarily mean Korea or China, it could also mean Europe since they already grabbed Dexter from Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Routah
Feb 6, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

If he's staying as sub does that mean he's still salaried? I don't understand how paying subs works in with Riot's payouts to pro players.

When LCS started I believe it was said that Riot pays out some amount of money, of which a certain amount needs to go to the starting five and rest is up to the organization or some such.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Flameingblack posted:

Prepare to be absolutely shocked, because Monte talked about how horrible of an idea this was because of the communications gap. Even if Koreans and Chinese speak English, he says they might not be able to quickly and proficiently dictate complicated procedures and rotations in battle, and Monte was very against the idea of bringing over someone from Korea/China. Maybe EU, but not any Asian teams, not even MakNoon apparently.

Well I guess it is a good thing overseas includes Europe, huh?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Giving Salary to a member that could potentially go to a competing team seems like a good idea because you deny another team the ability ot use that player, which is why I think TSM has Wingsofdeath and Nightblue really.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Well I guess it is a good thing overseas includes Europe, huh?
Well it's a good thing i said "Maybe EU" in there, huh? Monte was really adamant about only wanting people who spoke very good English in the team, which still disqualifies some of the EU teams as well.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Flameingblack posted:

Well it's a good thing i said "Maybe EU" in there, huh?

You also told me to prepare to be absolutely shocked but you know, whatever.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Taciturn Tactician posted:

If he's staying as sub does that mean he's still salaried? I don't understand how paying subs works in with Riot's payouts to pro players.
So the Core 5 players have a minimum salary of like 12k a split or so. That has to get paid out. Otherwise everything is up in the air.

Flameingblack posted:

Prepare to be absolutely shocked, because Monte talked about how horrible of an idea this was because of the communications gap. Even if Koreans and Chinese speak English, he says they might not be able to quickly and proficiently dictate complicated procedures and rotations in battle, and Monte was very against the idea of bringing over someone from Korea/China. Maybe EU, but not any Asian teams, not even MakNoon apparently.

Wrong sea! There are a lot of seas, oceans even.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
Doublelift said in his interview with Travis about Nien's departure that they'll have to look overseas because there's no top lane talent whatsoever in NA.

http://www.ongamers.com/videos/doublelift-discusses-nien-s-departure-and-what-it-/2300-500/

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Huh. What about that CaliforniaTrlolz guy from Team 8?

He looked really impressive from what I saw of him. Granted, perhaps he has a more lucrative career.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At this point they should just combine EU and NA splits. Half the NA teams are imported anyways.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Invalid Validation posted:

At this point they should just combine EU and NA splits. Half the NA teams are imported anyways.

5 players.

Kev1n would be the ideal pickup for them assuming his English holds up.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

That sounds like a pretty atrocious idea. My two cents.

CLG will definitely look to Europe for their top lane, take one look at Challenger and see how many top laners are there that aren't tkaen by LCS teams or smurfs. Cris is basically the only one and hasn't shown any actual performance when put on the line, and then you have a guy like MegaZero who may have potential but hasn't been able to prove much. Also thorin is a loving hack but it's almost kind of nice knowing that League of Legends is popular enough where we also can have a lovely sportswriter to laugh at!

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
ZionSpartan?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Sexpansion posted:

ZionSpartan?

The most inconsistent player in NALCS on a team that just wants a top to play like Dyrus?

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I really like Zion personally but I don't think he'd fit on CLG. I think he's a pretty talented guy who still hasn't completely adapted to tanks and unfortunately that's what most teams want.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Nien stepping down was unexpected! He's a nice guy, I hope he manages to stick around and be good for CLG or some other team in a position or role other than starter.

Also, Monte might be making loud statements to mask his true intentions or plans, its hard to tell. But I don't know what CLG has in mind at all.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

A cool drat horse posted:

Yeah I really like Zion personally but I don't think he'd fit on CLG. I think he's a pretty talented guy who still hasn't completely adapted to tanks and unfortunately that's what most teams want.
Is that because he chooses not to, or because if he plays a tank in meta his jungler and bot lane are just going to feed relentlessly and you can't carry that well from a Trundle or Shyvana when the rest of the team minus Shiphtur does nothing? I'd like to think if he were on a team like C9 or TSM he'd do just fine because he isn't heavily relied on carrying the team and can play basic in meta picks and just out-lane most other top laners.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Power of Pecota posted:

Benny/Innox seem like they'd be more or less lateral moves...

I think Benny is pretty underrated and that he'd be an upgrade. Nobody remembers he exists because he's wholly unspectacular, which compared to people like Cruzer, is a good thing. Who knows, he might do more on a team that does stuff!

I don't know that he would be the objectively correct choice, but I think he'd definitely be an upgrade.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Is that because he chooses not to, or because if he plays a tank in meta his jungler and bot lane are just going to feed relentlessly and you can't carry that well from a Trundle or Shyvana when the rest of the team minus Shiphtur does nothing? I'd like to think if he were on a team like C9 or TSM he'd do just fine because he isn't heavily relied on carrying the team and can play basic in meta picks and just out-lane most other top laners.

I kind of agree with this. Zion on a different team would be wildly different I think. Plus I heard on scarra's stream yesterday that Zion is actually the main shotcaller for Coast. Putting him on another team would alleviate that responsibility and allow him to be more focused on his own role. I think he could work on CLG just fine.

Although I really think they're going to take whoever loses between Zorozero and Kev1n tomorrow (or at least try to).

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Evil_Greven posted:

Huh. What about that CaliforniaTrlolz guy from Team 8?

He looked really impressive from what I saw of him. Granted, perhaps he has a more lucrative career.

He tended to play a lot of off-meta stuff (e.g. Vladimir) and fold when asked to hold up on straight matchups, at least from the games I watched. Did he patch that hole in his game?

I agree that he and Yazuki would be the two 'yeah these could work' people I would think of when looking at the NA Challenger scene, though.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
As far as NA toplaners go I think Balls, Dyrus and Ackerman would be the only big upgrades over Nien and none of them are going to leave their teams. Zion could probably work but would he leave Coast if they don't lose to complexity ?

All of this is pointless to discuss anyway since it's CLG we're talking about. They'll either get Maknoon or throw Chauster up top.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

wodin posted:

He tended to play a lot of off-meta stuff (e.g. Vladimir) and fold when asked to hold up on straight matchups, at least from the games I watched. Did he patch that hole in his game?

I agree that he and Yazuki would be the two 'yeah these could work' people I would think of when looking at the NA Challenger scene, though.

I'm not sure that he did. He certainly does off-meta stuff, and tried unsuccessfully to run Nidalee top against... LMQ wasn't it? I guess I might be a bit biased as I liked his aggressive style.

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of his games to judge, I suppose. Of the ones that I did see, he ended up carrying his team along for the ride. The games that he didn't do as well... were very bad for Team 8, and vice versa.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Would Jintae play top? He did for Coast for awhile.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Evil_Greven posted:

I'm not sure that he did. He certainly does off-meta stuff, and tried unsuccessfully to run Nidalee top against... LMQ wasn't it? I guess I might be a bit biased as I liked his aggressive style.

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of his games to judge, I suppose. Of the ones that I did see, he ended up carrying his team along for the ride. The games that he didn't do as well... were very bad for Team 8, and vice versa.

If I recall correctly most of his team challenger games was off meta, and most of his soloq in ranked is off meta top. He might be very good, but I don't think he's likely to stand out as it is. The same is true for 90% of the ranked top challengers. If you go through solo q, Cris is one of the only well known tops that even has tanks listed in his most played champs.

This is going to make getting picked unlikely when, as far as I can tell, many LCS players and even LCS commentators do not watch callenger games at all. They really have no idea outside of being impressed by someone they ran into in solo q.

Going over to Europe is probably the least risky way to go, but they could always hold try outs first.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The Mattybee posted:

I think Benny is pretty underrated and that he'd be an upgrade. Nobody remembers he exists because he's wholly unspectacular, which compared to people like Cruzer, is a good thing. Who knows, he might do more on a team that does stuff!

I don't know that he would be the objectively correct choice, but I think he'd definitely be an upgrade.

Benny performed really poorly this split. To be fair, as did the rest of XDG but it's hard to really consider him much of an upgrade right now.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

I remember him playing Vladimir vs. LMQ all three games. Worked well first game, but then LMQ switched J4 from jungle to top 2nd game and Ackerman even went back to Renekton 3rd game. LMQ adapted to playing against Vlad rather than ban him out. Read somewhere after T8 lost that he is planning to go to school.

Not convinced about top lane players known for their off-meta picks, but can't adopt tanks to their champion pool. This inflexibility is just strategically disadvantaged when your team requires a tank. See Innox the weekend EG had 3 subs. Marin in Korea, known for his soloq roaming carry style, is apparently rendered ineffective in competitive play by banning out Renekton.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
:ughh:

Maybe it's more of a personal thing from him, but I really HotshotGG was like "please don't go, we finally have a solid roster and we did pretty loving well and were 5 minutes from getting to the finals of spring split except for our dumbass midlaner making a mistake and getting hooked, not you."

That being said, I imagine going from the stress of LCS finals and everything else, and just going home and living with family and solo queuing is like getting a new lease on life. Finding out professional vidya games is kind of a lovely deal.

Anyway, looking forward to CLG taking a huge poo poo next split and missing worlds again. At least Dlift was good on the analyst desk!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah as much as I've gotten invested in the heartwarming rise of CLG over this past split, I was even more invested in Doublelift's midcard comedy heel run on the analyst desk at Worlds.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
NIEN SHOULDN'T HAVE STEPPED DOWN ARGH

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Nien seems like a really nice guy but Nien was pretty terrible this split and he melted down in game 3 worse than I have ever seen any pro player meltdown. Even Maknoon on CJ mid when his eye balls were sweating wasn't as on tilt as bad as Nien was vs TSM.

The only argument for keeping him is that there aren't any NA players to replace him. If they find a good English speaking player in EU or Asia though it would probably automatically be way better.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I ragged on Nien, but honestly no he shouldn't have, unless CLG has someone better lined up right the gently caress now.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Also I avoided this thread all day cause it took me forever to get thru KTA/CJB. Really felt like an even series with tons of close splits that the more experienced team won. Very entertaining and CLG should offer Flame several million dollars to be their war horse in NA LCS.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I mean, Nien is pretty much the best open top laner in NA, which seems like maybe he isn't too terrible.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Maybe he isn't making enough money since CLG still doesn't stream on Twitch and Riot pays poor salaries for LCS players. A lot of the kids in pro gaming are smart and may feel they're squandering academic opportunities if they can't play at a top level.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

I mean, Nien is pretty much the best open top laner in NA, which seems like maybe he isn't too terrible.

Yeah see the problem here is "Best Open Toplaner in NA" is almost more of an insult.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Are there even any decent challenger ones to poach? Any soloq gods to train?

This does also shed more light maybe on why Thoorin was so keen to get something out of Montecristo WRT Nien...

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Aren't people always spooging over ZionSpartan? What's wrong with him other than already being a part of Coast?

Can he hop teams after relegations? even if Coast wins and gets back in LCS?

edit: oh i almost forgot the obligatory prediction of the return of hotshotgg to toplane

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

mushi posted:

Aren't people always spooging over ZionSpartan? What's wrong with him other than already being a part of Coast?

Can he hop teams after relegations? even if Coast wins and gets back in LCS?

Cus he probably won't leave Coast unless they get relegated and Coast probably won't get relegated.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If Coast gets relegated, both Zion and Shiphtur need to go to Dig to up the unpredictability even further. Every game would be a complete question mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

K8.0 posted:

If Coast gets relegated, both Zion and Shiphtur need to go to Dig to up the unpredictability even further. Every game would be a complete question mark.

Shiphtur is actually pretty consistent, I think. Definitely more consistent than scarra or goldenglue. Zion isn't, though, yeah.

• Locked thread