Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

JFairfax posted:

A somewhat golden rule is be very careful about playing balls across the pitch, if that goes wrong you can play in the attackers very easily.

I never play the ball across the pitch (unless I'm sending it up to a midfielder with no pressure and I usually look for a quick return pass anyway), always up the wings. The first football I played as an adult was fast-paced 7v7 and I can't tell you how many times those first couple of nights I gave away a back pass to a striker or got caught with the ball at my feet in my own half and gave it up. Speaking of, what do you guys like to do when you're defending and you have the ball at your feet, nowhere to pass, and have an opponent right on you? I've got the simple drag-backs down since that will usually get rid of an overzealous attacker but I'm not terribly fleet-footed when I'm dribbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

blueyedevil posted:

I never play the ball across the pitch (unless I'm sending it up to a midfielder with no pressure and I usually look for a quick return pass anyway), always up the wings. The first football I played as an adult was fast-paced 7v7 and I can't tell you how many times those first couple of nights I gave away a back pass to a striker or got caught with the ball at my feet in my own half and gave it up. Speaking of, what do you guys like to do when you're defending and you have the ball at your feet, nowhere to pass, and have an opponent right on you? I've got the simple drag-backs down since that will usually get rid of an overzealous attacker but I'm not terribly fleet-footed when I'm dribbling.
Put your foot through it or guard the ball with your arse until you get some support.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Don't try to go for the ball. 9/10 you'll end up embarrassed.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Soulex posted:

Don't try to go for the ball. 9/10 you'll end up embarrassed.

Do you just suggest to get your body in between the attack and the ball or just wait for him to gently caress it up himself?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

one time for your motherfucking mind!

first time shot(s) is usually what us limeys say.

Ha, I occasionally forget that you're correct. I blame playing street hockey as a youth

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

blueyedevil posted:

Do you just suggest to get your body in between the attack and the ball or just wait for him to gently caress it up himself?

Put pressure on him but stay goalside. Trying to take the ball away leaves a chance of them juking you and getting a break. Move with him, and don't jockey with your legs like you're riding a horse.

But yes, make him gently caress up.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Soulex posted:

Put pressure on him but stay goalside. Trying to take the ball away leaves a chance of them juking you and getting a break. Move with him, and don't jockey with your legs like you're riding a horse.

But yes, make him gently caress up.

I think he meant that HE has the ball in his half and an attacker is charging him

in which case just hoof it

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
hoof it + curse at your teammates for not making room for themselves and asking the ball.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

blueyedevil posted:

When in doubt, hoof it. If you don't see an outlet, just get rid of the ball. You'd rather have your midfield/strikers battle for a long ball than lose the ball 20 yards from goal as the last man back.

I tend to clear out diagonally as the attacking team has usually collapsed into the center and my wingers are sitting out wide recovering from the last play instead of helping defend.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor determined I have a light strain in my calf muscle (gastrocnemius) and ordered me to not play soccer for another 2 weeks; as this type of injury generally takes 4-6 weeks to heal. Although walking & cycling is fine. Thankfully I have strength/flexibility and so that ruled out any serious injury. – I’m relieved it wasn’t anything serious and I look forward to getting on a pitch again. In the meantime I’ll continue to walk/cycle and work on my general fitness.

Alctel posted:

See if you can get a game in a 5 or 7 a side once a week in addition.

You'll see a ton more of the ball and improve your touch a lot faster
Once I'm able to play again I will definitely consider doing this.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Played some 7v7 today, short field and lacrosse nets for goals. Still haven't decided where I prefer to play when I'm not a keeper. I don't really have the footskills to play up the middle, I can't cross so the wings are out, and I'm not really good at stepping up to attackers. I guess I'm mostly a "play off the last man's shoulder and wait for a through ball" type.

Almost scored on a sorta-diving header today, though. Ball came in at waist level, and I'm not flexible enough to get my leg up and control it. So I just bent over and headed it while falling down. Hit the crossbar and then the post, and bounced clear.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Captain Trips posted:

Played some 7v7 today, short field and lacrosse nets for goals. Still haven't decided where I prefer to play when I'm not a keeper. I don't really have the footskills to play up the middle, I can't cross so the wings are out, and I'm not really good at stepping up to attackers. I guess I'm mostly a "play off the last man's shoulder and wait for a through ball" type.

Do you have a speed problem? You could always play defensive midfielder.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

blueyedevil posted:

Do you have a speed problem? You could always play defensive midfielder.

I did a little of that today, sort of dropped back in midfield and stopped through passes.

Really though, when I'm not wearing the gloves I'm totally out of my element in every way.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So there's this really bad team in my Sunday league called Anime United. They're sorta just in the league because the venue feels bad, I guess.

I just noticed that their captain on a Facebook page for pick-up games in my area.

:stare:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I didn't know Liam Gallagher was into anime

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This is how I picture everyone who posts in this thread anyway.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this is my team irl

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found a weekend mornings outdoor pick up game with a bunch of people on my local subreddit, picked up some boots on the cheap.

Trying em out at the park vs dog, it's definitely different. I've only played indoor 6 a side, but they play sevens so it should be an easier transition

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

JFairfax posted:

this is my team irl

Jammy goal!

5-Star Gulag
Apr 17, 2014

Sexy isn't back.
It was never authorized to leave.
Guys I need to buy new gloves. Stick with metal finger-savers or switch to the fibreglass ones?

Had Uhlsport gloves since... forever really. Need a new pair for the upcoming season and have been thinking of switching from what I've fallen in love with: http://www.uhlsport.com/en/products/details/100055101/eliminator-soft-sf

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
You guys get some decent blisters/calluses on your feet? It's nothing that causes much pain or discomfort when I'm playing but they're ugly as gently caress.

Also, how can I kick the ball further? Some of the guys can really put a boot through the ball and kick it 50m or so

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

blueyedevil posted:

Also, how can I kick the ball further? Some of the guys can really put a boot through the ball and kick it 50m or so

Like with any kind of "swing", it's about the follow through, except it's your body more than your actual leg. Running through the ball or "breaking the plane" are the two visualizations I hear most.

Disclaimer: I suck at executing my own advice, so advice on following my own advice would be appreciated.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

blueyedevil posted:

You guys get some decent blisters/calluses on your feet? It's nothing that causes much pain or discomfort when I'm playing but they're ugly as gently caress.

To kick the longest you want to put backspin on your ball. You have to hit low on the ball, and to do this you need to plant farther back and away from it. Hit it with the inner top side of the laces under the center, and instead of kicking up on your follow through, keep the foot down and swing it across your body. This creates a high floating shot thats great for goal kicks and cross field kicks, and in some cases its good for corners as well.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Does anyone have a copy of the equivalent of the LOAF for futsal? I played a game tonight where the ref literally refused to call encroachment on free kicks or corners and I want to make sure its definitely in the rules

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the equivalent of the LOAF for futsal? I played a game tonight where the ref literally refused to call encroachment on free kicks or corners and I want to make sure its definitely in the rules

http://www.fifa.com/lotg/futsal/en/

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Awesome, ta. Confirmed my suspicions that the new refs at the place I play at have no idea what the rules are.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

The one true heezy posted:

To kick the longest you want to put backspin on your ball. You have to hit low on the ball, and to do this you need to plant farther back and away from it. Hit it with the inner top side of the laces under the center, and instead of kicking up on your follow through, keep the foot down and swing it across your body. This creates a high floating shot thats great for goal kicks and cross field kicks, and in some cases its good for corners as well.

Thank you

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I'm starting my first season of 7v7 indoor tonight. I normally play center back or right back outdoor and I consider myself pretty decent. I'm tall and I've got no problem playing smart but physical.

This is what I was told about rule differences from the team captain:

quote:

No slide tackling is a rule.

Also you have to take a free kick without time wasting or else possession gets turned over to the other team.

Sub in at anytime without telling the refs as long as someone comes out at the same time.

There are some other random rules, but nothing too major.

Any tips transitioning to the indoor game rule wise and play wise?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tigren posted:

I'm starting my first season of 7v7 indoor tonight. I normally play center back or right back outdoor and I consider myself pretty decent. I'm tall and I've got no problem playing smart but physical.

This is what I was told about rule differences from the team captain:

Any tips transitioning to the indoor game rule wise and play wise?

It's basically basketball with your feet. Everyone's a box-to-box midfielder unless you have someone who likes to play sweeper because they're either a) a one-man defensive army, or b) fat.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
7v7 you'll get exposed if you don't have people hanging back. The fields are usually slightly bigger so it's good and convenient to have a reliable back pass. 5s I could understand everyone joining in, but you still need defensive people or you're just getting countered all day.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
chimped out real bad last night.

team was winning 4-2 when i went off for the last 5 of the game after hitting a hattrick and setting up numerous other chances.
team loses 5-4.

:suicide:

but we're getting closer to breaking the dam walls, 2 good performances in a row (team hasn't played together in 4 years, this is our 4th game back in A grade), it'll happen soon...

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

It's basically basketball with your feet. Everyone's a box-to-box midfielder unless you have someone who likes to play sweeper because they're either a) a one-man defensive army, or b) fat.

This seemed to be a pretty good description of 7s. We won 9-1. We had at least one guy hold back to watch for counters and that seemed to work pretty well. We didn't use the walls as much as I've seen them used in pick up games, but that's probably because we're big white guys instead of quick tricky little guys.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Played 8v8 with some lads from work at lunchtime today (it's a weekly thing but numbers vary week to week), in the glorious sunshine. loving love when the weather starts to pick up after months of playing in shite cold, windy and rainy weather.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We're playing the last place team in our league on Sunday so I'm going to volunteer to play in goal for the first half, it should be fun.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Update on my coaching adventures, my daughter's U10 team that I coach continues to kick butt and take names. They won last weekend 6-1 and I expect a similar result tomorrow. My daughter's team who plays U8, who I also coach, are not quite as good but they have improved enormously. They lost 2 and won 1, and one of the games they lost was literally the result of two bad bounces. Plus they are U8, so I don't really care as much about the results.

I'm also going to attend an E certificate course (for the second time since the state I moved from lost the paperwork from the course when I did it previously). Kind of silly you can't move straight to the D course after coaching a certain amount of years but at least I can start progressing now that I have some free time.

I also have to brag on my daughter who I don't coach. She plays U12 and has a very good coach who is a great player himself (his brother still plays in a pro league somewhere over there in euro land). He's been coaching her for a few seasons and plays her at sweeper all the time and she is really good at it. I've been telling him to give her a go at midfielder or even some striker. She played striker where we lived before on an advanced age group team so I knew she could do it. Well he finally listened to me and played her up front and told me after the game (I was coaching one of my teams at the time) that he was going to start playing her up front a lot more :smug:. She didn't score but she did have two assists and a very near miss.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

About to make the trip to go get surgery on my other leg. So far so good with the right one, so I'm hoping the other leg doesn't have any issues.

:ohdear:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Good luck homie, hope it goes smooth.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Don't forget to post pics of said leg.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Good luck, hope you have a speedy recovery! I nearly broke my ankle the other day jumping daintily to catch the already-out-of-bounds ball :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Scored a nice one yesterday. Went to collect a throw from the keeper about 10 yards outside our own penalty area toward the left wing but came under pressure pretty quick and had to tap it further wide. The guy was bigger than me (most are) and as we fought for the ball and position he shouldered me off pretty easily. He got between me and the ball and tried to turn, but I stuck my foot in between his legs and knocked it up the wing a yard or so, then ran around him as he was still trying to turn (toward my goal). I streaked up the left wing, nearly 2/3 of the entire drat pitch (lord knows why they weren't defending it), got to the corner of their area, and as their keeper started to move toward me I curled it up and over him to the far post. It floated in just inches from the post and crossbar. He actually grazed it with his fists but at that point he was practically diving backwards and he just managed to knock it into the top of the net.

Which brings me to my question: How much do you celebrate goals? :v: Yours or other teammates?

After this one I went a little hoarse from yelling "YEEAAAAAHHH!!!! YEAAHHHH!!!" so loudly. I know it depends entirely on the circumstances, you're not going to pull off your shirt and run screaming up the sideline in a pickup game (or maybe you are, I dunno), but this was a league game against a team two or three places above us in the table, and I worked my rear end off for that goal. Plus it was a great shot, and while it didn't win us the game it tied us up with only about 5 minutes left (after a pretty stupid mistake by our center backs led to an easy goal for them in the first half). And goals are usually pretty rare in 11s games.

Granted I'm pretty vocal all around, and usually yell loudest whenever anyone on the team scores.