Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Read to the players:

quote:

You enter the room. There is a Human man sitting in a chair (Chris Hansen: NG, Human, Wizard/12, Bard/3, Anchor/5), with a set of chairs facing him and goblin carrying a box with a lens on it behind him. As the party enters the room, the goblin trains the lens-box on you.
"Why don't you have a seat?" he asks, gesturing to the other seat.
Have the players take a will save (Hansen casts "Mass Charm Person" on the party as they enter) to avoid sitting in the chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

that spell absolutely does not appear on the cleric list

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol the nazi anime girl card game got funded with almost 100k out of a 10k goal. god is hitler's human being indeed

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662858658/barbarossa-anime-card-game-from-japan

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Knitted Art posted:

lol the nazi anime girl card game got funded with almost 100k out of a 10k goal. god is hitler's human being indeed

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662858658/barbarossa-anime-card-game-from-japan

god is hitler's human being indeed :staredog:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Wales Grey posted:

god is hitler's human being indeed :staredog:

new thread title

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Knitted Art posted:

welcome to the new normal

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
No, this is stupid sperglord interpretations about D&D Next, using old packets.

It's just as stupid and spergy as most of the poo poo Trollman comes up with.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Knitted Art posted:

Be fair... God didn't give any money to this kickstarter. Nerds are hitler's faggots.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

[i]Nerds[\i] are hitler's faggots.

new title

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

dwarf74 posted:

No, this is stupid sperglord interpretations about D&D Next, using old packets.

It's just as stupid and spergy as most of the poo poo Trollman comes up with.

Business as usual

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Knitted Art posted:

WHHHHHYYYYYYY. :stonk:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ratoslov posted:

WHHHHHYYYYYYY. :stonk:

If smilies could go into thread titles I vote this

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Knitted Art posted:

i wonder how they'll play when the cards start sticking together

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

EightFlyingCars posted:

i wonder how they'll play when the cards start sticking together

looks like someone missed out on the 'machine-washable non-stick card covers' stretch goal

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

quote:

@Nervosix First off, kudos on your community interaction. Second, I've been wondering if there will be specific dual wield rules in Next?
@mikemearls there's general rules so that anyone can do it, plus there's a feat to improve it. Ftr/Pal/Rgr also have a 2-weapon option.
‏@BelaKampis How about dual wielding two longswords? Possible with feat?
@mikemearls Do not believe so

‏@JasonCohoon In a game where bounded accuracy is all the rage, +hit bonuses on weapons seems out of place. Thoughts?
@mikemearls IME, it puts pressure on us to make sure that magic weapons are more interesting and fantastical, not just power ups.

@MrChrisLyons In D&D Next, do fireballs work underwater by default core rules?
@mikemearls Yes, though the DM is free to rule that being fully submerged in water grants you fire resistance.

@WolfHunter83 In Next can we expect to see Templates (Celestial, etc) or other features useful to obtain Creatures' flavors without Races?
@mikemearls Yes, templates are definitely a thing.

The bit about fireball under water is particularly funny because one thread, I think it might have been the previous twitter thread, was overrun with talk about whether one can cast fire spells under water. Particularly Fireball. With people claiming that you could not in previous editions, or that you couldn't before 4e and that is another thing 4e got wrong. With other people showing that actually the rules did allow one to cast fireball underwater in previous editions, and that 3.5 was just as accommodating with that as 4e. It got so bad that that thread was closed. And a new thread all about if one can cast Fireball underwater was started.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

metamagic feat: greek fire spell

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

The bit about fireball under water is particularly funny because one thread, I think it might have been the previous twitter thread, was overrun with talk about whether one can cast fire spells under water. Particularly Fireball. With people claiming that you could not in previous editions, or that you couldn't before 4e and that is another thing 4e got wrong. With other people showing that actually the rules did allow one to cast fireball underwater in previous editions, and that 3.5 was just as accommodating with that as 4e. It got so bad that that thread was closed. And a new thread all about if one can cast Fireball underwater was started.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/

This, but with D&D.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So can you do it or what don't leave us hanging

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
why couldn't you. being hindered by context is exactly the sort of thing you go through wizard college to avoid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Exactly. It lets you combine fishing and cooking skills into one spell

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I love how wizards can break reality but oh god can't let someone dual wield longswords let alone bastard swords.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Vire posted:

I love how wizards can break reality but oh god can't let someone dual wield longswords let alone bastard swords.
Magic is supposed to break reality, so it doesn't have to be realistic. Magic can do anything.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Magic is supposed to break reality, so it doesn't have to be realistic. Magic can do anything.

it got crowley all sorts of tang irl so i guess it really can do anything

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Tang is science-fiction, not fantasy.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Tang is science-fiction, not fantasy.
basically all speculative fiction is fantasy with nanomachines and quantum bullshit instead of sprites and magic bullshit tbh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wizards: Quantum Bullshit

Dec 26, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

being hindered by context is exactly the sort of thing you go through wizard college to avoid

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
i mean how different would D&D really be if you replaced wizards with 'mad scientists', magic with 'SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!', and spell components with a slurry of nanomachines?

you'd still track the specific number of shots a ranger has for his ranged weapon but wizards get a free pass on their bag of infinite cyber-bat poop

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 24, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i'm a nano, i use my intellect to cast powerful esoteries to damage or disable my foes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wasn't Anarchy Online a scifi MMO where everyone had "nanos" but the players just called them spells?

Dec 26, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

i'm a nano, i use my intellect to cast powerful esoteries to damage or disable my foes

my favorite part about that is that from the word go their staple "attack" thing has the option of just ignoring all armor, as long as the opponent isnt mindless + you dont mind dealing a little less damage

meanwhile in martial-land...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Wizards: Quantum Bullshit

Wizards: Quadratic Bullshit

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
More infodump transcribed by someone from a live event.

http://www.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd posted:

Can you talk about products?
We don’t have dates for products, or product names

Tyranny of Dragons
We don’t want to mess with the settings, just add to them
We don’t need to reinvent settings every 5 days
We want to show off stories, organizations, familiar cities, etc.
We have “high stakes” events that affect the world, but don’t uproot the entire setting.

How complete are the rules at this point?
Mike: 95%+. We’re working on things like “The orc has 2 hp too many.” “Should goblins have spears or bows?”
Rodney: I’ve been Bug Squashing based on playtest feedback. We’re not doing much design, mostly editing.
We have been working on Mass Combat rules (4 pages total).

We’ve loved working with D&DNext’s simple rule system. It’s really easy to apply minor tweaks quickly without intertwining complexity.

If we had a more complex core system, things would be harder to run/test. Big results from minor tweaks.

Chris: We have all the art and text…just making sure everything fits now.

What class mechanic are you excited about?
Mike: The Warlock! Big Booms, Short Rest abilities. Few spells (invocations), but cast more often.
Rodney: I love playing the ‘Lock too. The Battlemaster Fighter is fun to play. Great example of simple mechanics --> a lot of design and customization mileage.
Chris: I like the Barbarian and the Rage. Traditionally I felt the Bbn was uninteresting, but the DDN Bbn has an endearing simplicity to it. Also, backgrounds, quirks, and ideals are great to let your Character grow and make story arcs.

What cool DM tools are coming out?
Mike: Inspiration, Bonds, Flaws, Ideals. Great tools to design personalities. Helps both DMs and PCs.
Rodney: backgrounds and flaws help DMs craft specific stories for the players.
Chris: I like how the Monsters have shaped up. Monster Customizations. Basic Hill Giant…or add weird features like special moves…no problem at all!

What can you tell us about Tactical Grid rules, flanking, etc.
Player: Basic information on the player side.
DM: you can add in as many or little rules as you want.
You can use the optional Flanking rules, if you CHOOSE to.
You can take a piece-meal approach to choose your complexity.

Iconic Monster Fights. Solo Fights more dynamic? Environment effects? Stat blocks?
The Beholder. Legendary Monster. Legendary Actions (off-turn actions). It’s Lair has an Initiative and can do stuff. Reactions. “It’s firing it’s Eye Ray A LOT” Acting/reacting after almost every player turn.
But, you don’t HAVE to use the Legendary Rules. You can use the monster stat block by itself.

How complex will DDN be compared to previous editions
Basic DDN will be as Complex as the Rules Encyclopedia
4 core classes and races, add in some basic rules
Compared to BASIC D&D, it’s about the same at-the-table complexity.

DM Guidelines for the “feel” of a game
Yeah, we’ll have that.
Advice for higher tech or horror feel. Things like a Madness stat.
We’ll have advice for having a game without Magic Items.
Changing the Rest durations is customizable. We use the term Short Rest, which is defined however the DM wants in their campaign.
Advice on repercussions on tweaking rules.

Greyhawk
Mike: Can’t talk about specific products.

Magic Items as a DM
Chris: the DMG is full of them! There are plenty of them. We’re re-presenting the most iconic magic items with a LOT a LOT of new art! Many have oddly never been drawn up.
Random Tables for determining magic items that are more than a boring +1.

The game stands on 3 legs: Combat, Social Interaction, and Exploration. We try really hard to make sure all 3 tiers are emphasized and represented in the game.
Mike: People don’t play the game for the rules…they play for the experience!
Big Motivator in design: What do players/DMs talk about? People tell you about their characters like “here’s the time the Halfling Rogue betrayed the party” or “my character became the King”.
There are sources of inspiration everywhere in the books.
Random Trinket Table! Encourage story. Example: Pentacle with a Rat Face in the middle.
Just like Apples-2-Apples and Cards Against Humanity, the rules are full of ways to combine random flavor things to create unique stories.

Random Tables…Wild Surge Table!
Summoning the Pit Fiend….that did not survive
You become Invisible for the next minute. Other creatures cannot hear you.
Random Creature within 60-ft of you becomes intoxicated for 1d4 hours.
1d10 hostile flumphs appears….
Your alignment changes to a randomly determined one

Downtime Mechanics
What function do they serve? We wanted to give players a way to influence the world around them outside adventures. Abstracts what your players are working on between adventures. Gives the DM a good time scale.

We make it so you can go as deep into it as you want.

Crafting Magic Items! We don’t assume by default that players can do that. But the DM can allow it, and Downtime Mechanics cover this.

DM Guidance for crafting an Arena to fight between adventures.

An outlet for the players to spend money! You spend it on your castle or your guild or to raise your new dragon egg.

NPCs can use the same downtime rules, or the DM can just will it to be so.

You’re not forced to run 5 encounters per day.

Written up guidelines for conflicts between different organizations (like rival thief guilds)

Rules for creating your own subclasses

Mike: Balance on its own is an illusion without the DM.
Mike called it “5th”….you heard him!

One thing in the products coming out this summer….
Mike: Inspiration, Character Traits, Flaws
Using those random tables
Focusing on your character as a person
Rodney: building a fun character, having fun! Caring more about the STORY than the RULES.
The Core rules are designed to vanish in the background so you can focus on having a good story.
Monsters. The DM should care more about creating a fun scenario than worrying about monster stats. The rules help this.
Excited to see DM’s interact with all the optional material/rules. Small rule changes can have a big impact. Pirate Horror Game = FireArms + Ships + Madness
Chris: I have a very romantic view of little nuggets about monsters, the way it looks, etc. When they (players) read a monster description, I want them to fall in love again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
So the best thing about their rules is that I don't have to use them

I agree

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ritorix posted:

Just like Apples-2-Apples and Cards Against Humanity, the rules are full of ways to combine random flavor things to create unique stories.

hahahahahaha

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Someone told me they brought back hit dice. Is that true?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Someone told me they brought back hit dice. Is that true?
Yeah. If you play D&D Next I will hit you with dice, nerd.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah. If you play D&D Next I will hit you with dice, nerd.

u mad

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ryuujin posted:

It's like how one of the common criticisms of 4e was that Fireball can't light things on fire like it could in every other edition... except that the 4e core rules say that fire spells can start fires if the DM allows it, whereas 3e explicitly says in the DMG that spells with a duration of "instantaneous" don't set things on fire or otherwise create lasting effects unless the spell description specifically says so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gtrmp posted:

It's like how one of the common criticisms of 4e was that Fireball can't light things on fire like it could in every other edition... except that the 4e core rules say that fire spells can start fires if the DM allows it, whereas 3e explicitly says in the DMG that spells with a duration of "instantaneous" don't set things on fire or otherwise create lasting effects unless the spell description specifically says so.

In neither case did anyone

A) Read the rules

B) Go to the rules first before making a decision

• Locked thread