Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought it would have been way more in line with the Batman character to actually die in the explosion than to retire to Italy or wherever he is at the end. I just never imagined Bruce Wayne as the type to retire, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

muscles like this? posted:

The Robin stuff is important as a conclusion to his "doesn't matter who Batman is" creed.

Batman Begins was about Bruce taking what he learned from the League of Shadows and using it to redeem Gotham instead of condemning it.

Rises is where he turns Batman into a legacy much like how the League of Shadows appointed one person to become Ra's Al Ghul over the years. The legacy bit is important because Talia was trying to carry on her father's legacy but on her own terms.

Basebf555 posted:

I thought it would have been way more in line with the Batman character to actually die in the explosion than to retire to Italy or wherever he is at the end. I just never imagined Bruce Wayne as the type to retire, ever.

I think post-Dark Knight he would definitely throw himself over the bomb to protect everyone. But having everyone tell him he shouldn't have to do this alone and being in Bane's prison and hearing about the child of Ra's Al Ghul probably resonated with him.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Apr 23, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Robin stuff is barely important because we all knew that a new Batman was going to soon be chosen and a new continuity was coming. Anyone who seriously thought they'd give the job to Joseph Gordon-Levitt was off-base.
How about, for the sake of continuity, we have a director's cut of TDKR where instead of the Robin scene at the end we have Ben Affleck randomly ride by on a motorcycle and find the Batcave.
I also support casting Gary Oldman as the main villain of whatever standalone Batman Affleck movie eventually comes out, just because Oldman needs to be playing villains and not be playing kindly old slightly corrupt police commissioners.
Plus it'll be like Batman is fighting the Other World Batman's Gordon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphrodite posted:

I don't recall, would that be the Robin scene or Bruce alive?

It's the scene with Michael Caine in Paris.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jedit posted:

I wonder if Michael Caine called out Christopher Nolan for how out of character that whole stupid subplot was.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

That scene is totally unnecessary but I think it's there to placate people who went nuts about the end of Inception not being explicit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sand Monster posted:

Something I always liked in Zodiac...

There's a scene where Jake Gyllenhaal's character (Robert Graysmith) is investigating a man he thinks is the Zodiac and meets up with an acquaintance of the suspect at the guy's house. Graysmith claims that handwriting from a movie poster is the closest match to the Zodiac and thinks it was from the homeowner's friend, but the homeowner interrupts and says he is the one who made the poster. Graysmith is unnerved but seemingly doesn't want to offend the guy, so he continues the discussion.

Soon, the homeowner invites him down into his basement to look at some documents. Graysmith is surprised and says that not many people have basements in California. While not explicitly mentioned in the film, the Zodiac had made a comment in a letter that his basement had flooded. Graysmith was also working on a theory that the Zodiac was actually two men working together, which also unnerves him when it seems like there is someone walking around upstairs but the homeowner claims no one else is in the house.

So, all of this explains why he freaks out and rushes upstairs to try and escape.

That is my absolute favorite scene in the film, which I thought was otherwise a good-looking film that failed to really grab me, outside of the scene at I think Lake Berryessa. Both scenes have an almost waking dream (nightmare) like quality, and Gyllenhaal really sells it as he grows progressively more uneasy over what he has gotten himself into.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jedit posted:

I think it might work better if you just have Alfred sitting down, perspective shot showing two people at another table that just might be Bruce and Selina, cut back to Alfred's eyes opening a little wider and him starting to take a deep breath. End it without explicitly showing Bruce and before he toasts or whatever it is he does there.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it might work better if you just have Alfred sitting down, perspective shot showing two people at another table that just might be Bruce and Selina, cut back to Alfred's eyes opening a little wider and him starting to take a deep breath. End it without explicitly showing Bruce and before he toasts or whatever it is he does there.

So... Inception all over again

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

So... Inception all over again

Alfred sits in a cafe and sees a man who might be Bruce Wayne spinning majestically with a slight wobble before cutting to black.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Alfred sits in a cafe and sees a man who might be Bruce Wayne spinning majestically with a slight wobble before cutting to black.

Could have been worse, Alfred could have attended a performance of Die Fledermaus, spotted Bruce and Selena-Martha (wearing the pearls) in the audience and run away in terror.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I wonder if Michael Caine called out Christopher Nolan for how out of character that whole stupid subplot was.

Yeah I always felt that as well. Why would Alfred, who literally raised Bruce from the age of like 8, ever want to suddenly be out of his life?

It's purely a "movie" thing and really not how people work at all.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah I always felt that as well. Why would Alfred, who literally raised Bruce from the age of like 8, ever want to suddenly be out of his life?

It's purely a "movie" thing and really not how people work at all.

Bruce is a junkie, and like other junkies, he has alienated friends and family who don't want to be around the self-destruction. It isn't a purely movie thing at all that people walk out of lives like that.

StdNormDist
May 2, 2010
Not sure if anyone else thought it was subtle, but in Her virtually all the characters are just a little awkward with other people, which makes sense given how much people interact with (pre-OS ) computers instead.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Terminal Entropy posted:

Bruce is a junkie, and like other junkies, he has alienated friends and family who don't want to be around the self-destruction. It isn't a purely movie thing at all that people walk out of lives like that.

I know it's a tangent, but Batman makes a lot of sense as just Bruce Wayne's adrenaline junkie persona.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

LoonShia posted:

I know it's a tangent, but Batman makes a lot of sense as just Bruce Wayne's adrenaline junkie persona.

Bruce is addicted to his own grief. Batman is just an unhealthy manifestation of that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just wanted to say thanks to whoever was responsible for changing the thread title

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Professor Dog posted:

Bruce is addicted to his own grief. Batman is just an unhealthy manifestation of that.

Right. The whole point of that subplot is that Bruce had basically locked himself away for eight years with virtually no human contact. The entire point of his existence, to him, was to be Batman- his dedication to that persona and his ideals was destroying every other part of his life. He did initially have the goal of "retiring" to be with Rachel, but his grief and possible guilt over her death just pushed him further away.

He's eventually able to move past that with Selina, and while it is a little silly and unrealistically convenient that Bruce figured out EXACTLY WHAT CAFE Alfred would go to and EXACTLY WHEN he'd be taking his vacation, just so their encounter could line up exactly with the story Alfred had told, that arc is essential to Bruce's character.

Nikaer Drekin has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Apr 24, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Right. The whole point of that subplot is that Bruce had basically locked himself away for eight years with virtually no human contact. The entire point of his existence, to him, was to be Batman- his dedication to that persona and his ideals was destroying every other part of his life. He did initially have the goal of "retiring" to be with Rachel, but his grief and possible guilt over her death just pushed him further away.

He's eventually able to move past that with Selina, and while it is a little silly and unrealistically convenient that Bruce figured out EXACTLY WHAT CAFE Alfred would go to and EXACTLY WHEN he'd be taking his vacation, just so their encounter could line up exactly with the story Alfred had told, that arc is essential to Bruce's character.

In fairness to the movie, that is absolutely the kind of thing that Batman would do.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Just spotted a cool little piece of foreshadowing whilst watching Rushmore. Early in the film max reads a book called Diving for Sunken Treasure:

The author of the book, Jacques-Yves Costeau was the french diving pioneer who provided the inspiration for The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou six years later.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Nikaer Drekin posted:

To be fair, Alfred did say that he goes there once a year, probably about the same time every year. Also it's probably his favorite cafe and Bruce would know that. Bruce probably went there every day around the time Alfred usually vacations to spot him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises was such a bad movie, especially considering The Dark Knight. It genuinely confuses me how it has such high ratings.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Professor Shark posted:

The Dark Knight Rises was such a bad movie, especially considering The Dark Knight. It genuinely confuses me how it has such high ratings.

You're right, that is a great Subtle Movie Moment.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Going off topic?! Why I never... *faints to the floor, falls in Ishamael's poo poo posting*

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Professor Shark posted:

To be honest, as great as The Dark Knight is, I feel like both Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises are both more focused on Bruce's character and thus richer movies overall. Watch it again, now that you know the plot, and see if you feel any differently about it.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
Well, I don't know what you mean by "richer", but I don't want to focus on Bruce's character because he's invariably the least interesting character in the movie. I don't mean that he's badly written or anything, just that Batman is never the interesting part of a Batman story.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

To be honest, as great as The Dark Knight is, I feel like both Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises are both more focused on Bruce's character and thus richer movies overall. Watch it again, now that you know the plot, and see if you feel any differently about it.

I liked Begins and was glad that Rises made sure to remind everyone that there was a Batman movie before The Dark Knight. My problem with Rises is that it's tripping over itself to be symbolic and it leaves giant plot holes just to make things work in its wake.

Roger Tangerines posted:

Well, I don't know what you mean by "richer", but I don't want to focus on Bruce's character because he's invariably the least interesting character in the movie. I don't mean that he's badly written or anything, just that Batman is never the interesting part of a Batman story.

I always felt like the Nolan Batman films were about one man's unflinching sense of justice versus different ideologies like "We Know Better Than Everyone Else What's Right For Them" (Batman Begins), "Nothing We Do Really Matters" (The Dark Knight), and "Might Makes Right" (The Dark Knight Rises).

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I just rewatched The World's End and noticed a bit of possible foreshadowing. 12 pubs, 12 steps.

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Apr 27, 2014

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
I... I don't even know where to begin. A Fantastic Fear of Everything

If you have Netflix and you like thrillers that twist the genre or like Simon Pegg or really if you're just a person who regularly posts in this thread because they love subtle movie moments, you should go watch this film. Please hurry, I am in desperate need of someone to talk about this with. I don't even want to post anything from it yet because literally everything might be a spoiler.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've seen it, but I can't recall anything in particular that was subtle, but then again that might be the point.

I will say the laundry room reveal was god damned hilarious and amazing though.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Nastyman posted:

I just rewatched The World's End and noticed a bit of possible foreshadowing. 12 pubs, 12 steps.

in the original script, which wright called Crawl, there were meant to be 13.

It gets even better than that...in the blu ray extras theres a 7 minute bit on omens and signs. It blew my tiny little mind. It has the obvious bits about the pub names relating to the experience within. The names of the 5 companions; king, knight(ley), prince, chamberlain and page relate to 5 posts within a medieval kingdom...

But what i didnt know was that each of the pubs has their number relating to the pub in the golden mile. Sometimes it's blatant, like the 12 when Gary opens the door at The Worlds End.

Sometimes its blink and you'll miss it subtle. For example, a 5 shots for 4 sign in the cross hands when they come out of the toilets and sit back down again. 2 seconds of footage, but its there.

Going to see if i can marathon those three films with commentary when i have a weekend free.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Red is Dead posted:

in the original script, which wright called Crawl, there were meant to be 13.

It gets even better than that...in the blu ray extras theres a 7 minute bit on omens and signs. It blew my tiny little mind. It has the obvious bits about the pub names relating to the experience within. The names of the 5 companions; king, knight(ley), prince, chamberlain and page relate to 5 posts within a medieval kingdom...

But what i didnt know was that each of the pubs has their number relating to the pub in the golden mile. Sometimes it's blatant, like the 12 when Gary opens the door at The Worlds End.

Sometimes its blink and you'll miss it subtle. For example, a 5 shots for 4 sign in the cross hands when they come out of the toilets and sit back down again. 2 seconds of footage, but its there.

Going to see if i can marathon those three films with commentary when i have a weekend free.

What bothers me about the World's End is the fightscene in the toilets. Both times, before they attack, the blanks hit the hand-dryer and bounce off it to punch our heroes. And I cannot figure out why. I'm assuming there's some significance to it (because it's Edgar Wright) but I'm buggered if I can see it.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What bothers me about the World's End is the fightscene in the toilets. Both times, before they attack, the blanks hit the hand-dryer and bounce off it to punch our heroes. And I cannot figure out why. I'm assuming there's some significance to it (because it's Edgar Wright) but I'm buggered if I can see it.

I'm pretty sure it's them re-turning on the hand-dryer so that it's still noisy enough that the other pub-goers cannot hear that there's a fight going on in there.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Averrences posted:

I'm pretty sure it's them re-turning on the hand-dryer so that it's still noisy enough that the other pub-goers cannot hear that there's a fight going on in there.

That would be my assumption as well. But I agree it almost doesn't make sense. The ten (well, 9) of them are in there knocking seven shades of poo poo out of each other. doors flying off hinges, sinks and mirrors breaking...and a hand dryer stops the other blanks from coming in?

In the fight scenes stuntmen walkthroughs (also blu-ray extra), the middle blank gets thrown by pegg and does the spiderman on the wall...then rebounds off to start the fight proper. Awesome looking visual.

Basically - get the blu-ray, its loving awesome.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
Subtle TV moment, but I can't find the Arrested Development thread and it's dead anyway.

In season 4, George Michael appears to be developing security software called "Fake Block" in his dorm, an obvious nod to "The Social Network" and the running joke that Jesse Eisenberg is Michael Cera 2.0. What I didn't notice was that the constant presence of twins and their antagonistic attitude toward George Michael is probably a reference to the Winklevoss twins and their dispute with Mark Zuckerberg over Facebook.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I believe it was mentioned in the DVD commentary that the hand-dryer being punched was, indeed, to mask the sounds of a mass fight.

Which doesn't make any sense because a brawl between five 40-something guys and five blanks; complete with wall tiles being shattered and stalls broken apart is going to be pretty loving noisy and a hand-dryer won't cover that up.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

All on Black posted:

Subtle TV moment, but I can't find the Arrested Development thread and it's dead anyway.

In season 4, George Michael appears to be developing security software called "Fake Block" in his dorm, an obvious nod to "The Social Network" and the running joke that Jesse Eisenberg is Michael Cera 2.0. What I didn't notice was that the constant presence of twins and their antagonistic attitude toward George Michael is probably a reference to the Winklevoss twins and their dispute with Mark Zuckerberg over Facebook.

Good catch and I thought I had heard them all. Nice.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When Lucille announces to the triad ladies that she found a loophole to the smoking ban in the prison, they all repeat it to each other, each one mispronouncing it a different way.

Mrs. Oh, played by Bobby Lee in drag, clearly pronounces it 'RuPaul.'

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Justin Godscock posted:

I believe it was mentioned in the DVD commentary that the hand-dryer being punched was, indeed, to mask the sounds of a mass fight.

Which doesn't make any sense because a brawl between five 40-something guys and five blanks; complete with wall tiles being shattered and stalls broken apart is going to be pretty loving noisy and a hand-dryer won't cover that up.

That may have actually been the gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That may have actually been the gag.

That's how I saw it. They hit the dryer to cover the noise and immediately start smashing things and making way more noise than it could cover. I thought it was funny though not subtle.