Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Red Shoe posted:

:siren:Final oath of the season! Elara - Tyro of the Third Chamber, and 2 Ogres.:siren:
Elara is Privateer Press, the Ogres are Reaper.

Accepted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

1 Antipode Controller from Corvus Beli (Infinity)

Infinity Model Entry
Monthly theme entry 1 - conversion

10 6mm Norman bowmen and 1 [converted to] Norman Warlord from Baccus Miniatures

Themed Group Entry
Warlord Monthly theme entry 2 - conversion

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 24, 2014

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath Addition!

I will once again attempt to Save da Whales with my 15 dwarves.

Weirdo posted:

I, Weirdo, oath a lucky group of thirteen dwarves, which are Games Workshop Dwarf models (a mix of Warriors, Thunderers and Miners). These guys are being used for my group's Dwarf Fortress inspired Dungeon World game (roll +potash).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: I, Dr. Gargunza, for the last time in this season, oath to paint: (1) Dark Vengeance Dark Angels Space Marine Sergeant (w/ minor chainsword replacement); (1) WarGods of Aegyptus Heru Captain (w/ a hopefully obvious conversion)! Both 28mm; the Dark Angel is from GW, and the hawk-dude is from Crocodile Games.

For part 1 of the Jurnal, I've converted the hawk-man's back with a pair of wings from, um, probably Reaper (it's been a while since I did this conversion; please let me know if that doesn't count, I just ran out of free time this month). The original looks like this:

The Dark Angel will be part 2 of the Jurnal; I plan on doing some OSL from his plasma pistol. (I am doing a quasi-weapon-swap; his original chainsword ended up as part of my June 2013 oath.)

I'd be sad about the end of the season...if it weren't starting up again in a few days. Looking forward to seeing everyone's works!

Oh, before I forget, is there a deadline for posting the One-Time Bonuses, or just anytime before the end of the month?

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 24, 2014

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

OATH COMPLETE!

I'd like to claim the I rolled a 6! bonus for the three markers in front, which I'm gonna use to mark units affected by animosity (hopefully not more than three in a single turn, right? :angel:)

More shots of LASER ORC:

For my Jurnal this month, I re-created Mr. Green:

I did the following Jurnals on him:

MAY: Work in progress pictures

JUNE: Battle damage
- fractured and sparking left arm -
JULY: Cut and Swap
- helmet chopped off bretonnian archer for hat, faces chopped off cowled goblins for sleeves, arms repositioned at elbows and wrists -
AUGUST: Weathering
- scorched and stained shirt -
SEPTEMBER: Freehand
- carpeting, planks on floor
OCTOBER: Breast Cancer Awareness
- pink tie -
NOVEMBER: Movember
- corgi hindquarters -
DECEMBER: Non-Metallic Metal
- pistol on desk -
JANUARY: Object-Source Lighting
- glowing portal against desktop -
FEBRUARY: Break the 4th wall
- did Mr. Green! -
MARCH: Convert/customize
- model is scratch built from a whole bunch of poo poo and about a bucket of superglue -

Thanks everyone for the thread - it motivated me to paint again. I got over a hundred models done this year!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Under 15 posted:

More shots of LASER ORC:

This is the loving raddest thing I've seen all-

quote:

:stonk:

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

It would be a crime for this not to be in the next year's OP

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Welp. Pack it in, we're done here.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Under 15 posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

You win everything

Germ
May 7, 2013

Wow, wow, and wow again. Stellar work!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Under 15 posted:

Everything you did this month rules, but you have no idea how happy it makes me to see my artwork made physical like that! I adore this. And you even got the snake tattoo on him :allears:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Krushgroove, does the oath deadline include showing pics for diorama and scenic base entries? Totally forgot the deadline, I have a half built diorama that isn't even close to finished for a pre-paint photo. If I need to show photos by the deadline then I'll blitz it tonight :)

Kicking myself for constantly saying "I'll start that diorama soon, plenty of time to go yet.. the end of the season is months away!" throughout the past year now :v:

(though to be fair, I started putting it together around a month and a half ago, just been slack since v:shobon:v)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Weirdo posted:

Save da Whales

Save Da Whales is a separate thing to oathing, Leperflesh keeps track of the saved whales

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:siren: I, Dr. Gargunza, for the last time in this season, oath to paint: (1) Dark Vengeance Dark Angels Space Marine Sergeant (w/ minor chainsword replacement); (1) WarGods of Aegyptus Heru Captain (w/ a hopefully obvious conversion)! Both 28mm; the Dark Angel is from GW, and the hawk-dude is from Crocodile Games.

Oh, before I forget, is there a deadline for posting the One-Time Bonuses, or just anytime before the end of the month?
Accepted! And just list your bonuses with your oath completion photo :)

Under 15 posted:

OATH COMPLETE!
<snip>
I'm not sure which is cooler...

this:

quote:

or this:

quote:

Thanks everyone for the thread - it motivated me to paint again. I got over a hundred models done this year!
wow. wowowwow.

enri posted:

Krushgroove, does the oath deadline include showing pics for diorama and scenic base entries?

Yep, dioramas have to be done before the end of the season and :siren: the deadline to oath is midnight GMT - TONIGHT! :siren:

edit:...which means :siren: the end of the season is one week from midnight GMT - TONIGHT! :siren:

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 24, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:v:

edit: and to clarify, I meant the timestamped pre-painted pictures of dioramas / scenic bases etc. :) I should be able to get my diorama into a state where it's decent enough to take a recognisable photo out of it... gotta squeeze me some points out.. it's tight at the top end of the board :v:

enri fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 24, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

I think you might have gotten your wires crossed, isn't tonight the deadline for oathing? :)

edit: and to clarify, I meant the timestamped pre-painted pictures of dioramas / scenic bases etc. :) I should be able to get my diorama into a state where it's decent enough to take a recognisable photo out of it... gotta squeeze me some points out.. it's tight at the top end of the board :v:

sorry yeah, edited my post!

And the oath pics of dioramas, bases and boards need timestamps - it's not explicitly stated they need to be posted before the oathing deadline but that was the intent. Soo...try to get your oath pics posted before the deadline :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Awesome, I know what I'm doing tonight then :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

krushgroove posted:

or this:

wow. wowowwow.

Hmm, I need to have a count up, because I've pretty much done a themed group a month.

Also, Scale counts here - I've done 10mm Dropzone commander, so technically I've done 114 soldiers alone - and that's only 28 bases.

I just got my "lose a stone in weight" prize off my wife - she wanted a 1kg Easter egg, I got a 6mm British Napoleonic Army - That's about 380 figures.

So, When this months lot are done, I'll do a photoshoot of all the models I've done this year, in the display Cabinet the wife was nice enough to buy me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Namenlos posted:

Is it too late to have it for the conversion category? Would it even count? It's a new arm, a new head and a flag.

It counts, but please post a "before" shot at some point (you can do it in your oath complete post if you want). Just show me what the stock models look like.

Black_Nexus posted:

For jurnals I am doing conversion twice(Stormvermin bodies with heads from the doomwheel kit and the catapult kit. Empire pistol arms and a chuck of warpstone from some skaven kit)

Same for you: just show me a stock photo of the unconverted stormvermin at some point.

Weirdo posted:

Oath Addition!

I will once again attempt to Save da Whales with my 15 dwarves.

Yay! You're set thanks.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

For part 1 of the Jurnal, I've converted the hawk-man's back with a pair of wings from, um, probably Reaper (it's been a while since I did this conversion; please let me know if that doesn't count, I just ran out of free time this month).

Um, I think it's OK? I actually don't remember if we had a restriction on when you do the conversion. I'll check with Krush.

quote:

(I am doing a quasi-weapon-swap; his original chainsword ended up as part of my June 2013 oath.)

But this would count as a different Jurnal for the purposes of hitting this months 2+ Jurnal Themes Theme, regardless.

quote:

You don't have to explicitly oath the one-point one-time bonuses, and Get Based Out; just point them out in your Oath Complete post. There are requirements to show your starting point (pre-painting) for Display Board and Diorama, which you have to do by midnight GMT tonight.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'll keep watching this space then. If the hawkfellow doesn't count as a conversion due to prior work, I'll just paint it as an extra model & pile more Jurnals on the sergeant. Thanks for checking!

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Oath addition!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:siren: Oath addition! :siren:

Cutting it fine to squeeze this in, just spent a bit of time tonight to get it moving along to a point I could photograph it.. this is my diorama entry :v:

It looks devoid of details at the moment, but they'll come with the painting (posters, newspaper scraps on the floor, etc. is what I have planned to add a bit of detail)

Model isn't in its final position because I'll paint it up separately to the base.

Here ya go.. hope this is ok :)

drat, the amount of painting this month is high for me.. best get started I guess :)

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It counts, but please post a "before" shot at some point (you can do it in your oath complete post if you want). Just show me what the stock models look like.

Alrighty, added the stock photo of said dude. Also, I forgot to glue on his shoulder pad before taking that oath pic. I've just based these guys in green; would you like me to take another pic but with the shoulder pad before I go any further?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Under 15 posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

This is incredible.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'll bite the bullet and follow Under 15's fantastic entry.

Oath Complete!

This is a themed group: they say adventurers never retire, but who else is going to have the stocks to sell to all the newbies?

Ma Magus and Pa Warrior are getting up there in years, so Ma has the mud golem do all the heavy lifting, and Pa pampers the family pet with smithing scraps. (Pa also has to reconstruct the forge area a few times a year when Rusty gets bored and/or hungry, but that's pet ownership for you.)

Detektuv's Jurnal

I also wanted to challenge myself to see how many past jurnals I could complete, so I aimed for 2 per figure. I worked 10 of them in outright, and 11 if you squint a bit. :)

May: Suiting Up - The top 3 pictures show my progress throughout the month. I piled on a lot of the brown and metallics at first, then doubled back to fill in all the other colors.
June: Battle Damage - I gave the blacksmith a bunch of scars and a missing eye.
July: Cut and Swap - I'm cheating here. I saved the bits I clipped off of my mutants from July and March. One knife tip went to the Grandma, and the rest became rust monster fodder...
August: Weathering - ...and it wouldn't be 'rust monster fodder' without a frankly excessive amount of oxidation. I love painting rust.
September: Freehand - The blacksmith got some decoration (and soot) on his apron.
October: Breast Cancer Awareness - I hear tiny plastic crotches are popular around here, so have a pink golem butt.
November: Movember - The golem also grew a grass mop top. No one's brave enough to tell him it's kind of hideous. :)
December: Non-Metallic Metal - The grandma's dagger was painted up in NMM...
January: Object-Source Lighting - ...and the green jewel on top is glowing gently.
February: Break the 4th Wall - Who's that on the box? Hey, it's Arhu and Morte!
March: Conversions - Arhu's one of the 7 cats from the 'Crazy Cat Lady' figure, and Morte was the fun surprise from inside my empty Flow Improver bottle. The grandma's dagger is also a metal & greenstuff addition.

Oathing season was fun this year! While I've been generally okay on the 'quantity' front, competing helped me focus more on the quality front this year. It also helped me challenge myself to complete 2-3 bigger projects I had been putting off for awhile. Thanks, painting thread!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do we have to oath Rolled a six! counters or can we just make them?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I, Pierzak, oath Cadmus-Naish Sheskiin (28mm, Corvus Belli, Infinity) for April:

...hopefully it's still within the oath deadline :ohdear:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:pcgaming:FINAL OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:
The Terminators:

The bastion:

The objectives for I rolled a 6...:

And everything all together:

The Terminators are a themed group, as are the objectives. As for the Jurnals, the Terminators have the freehand bonus from September, as well as non metallic metal from December on the Terminator sergeant's sword.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

...Sweet Jebuddha, that's meta-gorgeous.

SRM posted:

pic after pic of 2nd Edition awesomeness

SRM, please keep the thread posted if you do any photo-montage batreps with your old-school Ultramarines. I've been reading some back issues of White Dwarf from 1996 lately, and these minis really capture the spirit of those old magazines--that sense of light-hearted fun that GW used to have. Excellent work!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

Um, I think it's OK? I actually don't remember if we had a restriction on when you do the conversion. I'll check with Krush.

No, can't find anything that explicitly says you have to do the conversion during the month you're oathing, and it's a painting contest anyway, so I'd say this is fine!

Namenlos posted:

Oath addition!

Accepted!

Pierzak posted:

I, Pierzak, oath Cadmus-Naish Sheskiin (28mm, Corvus Belli, Infinity) for April:

...hopefully it's still within the oath deadline :ohdear:

...I'm pretty sure your local time zone shows you had 16 minutes left to post your oath...so you're the last person to have an oath Accepted! for the Oath Thread Season 4!

moths posted:

Do we have to oath Rolled a six! counters or can we just make them?

You have to post a pic of what you're intending to paint to get the point for the oath picture - you don't have to make the counters or whatever. Does that answer your question?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm not sure... I need to make some counters but it's after oath deadline so it may be a moot point.

Edit: Next week it is!

moths fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 25, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

No, can't find anything that explicitly says you have to do the conversion during the month you're oathing, and it's a painting contest anyway, so I'd say this is fine!

Accepted!

Was this ok? :ohdear:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3547161&perpage=40&pagenumber=125#post428744697

I know it's not strictly an 'oath' as it's just the before shot of my diorama, just wanted to make sure it was ok that's all :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yes! I was distracted by answering questions and such, but no worries

enri posted:

:siren: Oath addition! :siren:

Cutting it fine to squeeze this in, just spent a bit of time tonight to get it moving along to a point I could photograph it.. this is my diorama entry :v:

Accepted!

moths posted:

I'm not sure... I need to make some counters but it's after oath deadline so it may be a moot point.

Can they wait a week? :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Yes! I was distracted by answering questions and such, but no worries

Accepted!

Phew, thank ya :D Tonight... we paint :black101:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...Sweet Jebuddha, that's meta-gorgeous.

SRM, please keep the thread posted if you do any photo-montage batreps with your old-school Ultramarines. I've been reading some back issues of White Dwarf from 1996 lately, and these minis really capture the spirit of those old magazines--that sense of light-hearted fun that GW used to have. Excellent work!
Thank you! I'll be sure to - In Battle is a bonus point, and why not double down and do a whole report? I did do one a while ago with my friend's 2nd ed Orks:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=153678&perpage=40&pagenumber=36#post426129712

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, out of nowhere the Games and Gear brushes I won back in.... November? arrived! I'd pretty much written them off at this point, but now I'm a proud owner of some proper brushes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, out of nowhere the Games and Gear brushes I won back in.... November? arrived! I'd pretty much written them off at this point, but now I'm a proud owner of some proper brushes.

Yes, they sent me a message the other day that all the delayed/waiting stuff was going out this week. Didn't make an announcement cuz I wanted it to be a surprise :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

enri posted:

Phew, thank ya :D Tonight... we paint :black101:

Can you tell me the manufacturer of the model in your diorama? I assume everything else is scratchbuilt.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Can you tell me the manufacturer of the model in your diorama? I assume everything else is scratchbuilt.

Ah sorry yes, it's a chaos cultist by games workshop :)

Edit: and yep, every thing else is scratch built

Haydrian
Sep 30, 2001
Paid way too much for what I do.
Throwing this up for the before part of the Speed Painting bonus points, I've probably misread the rules but I thought that I needed to paste this first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

OATH COMPLETE!

Man, what a fun, productive, and inspiring year. Thanks for everyone who made this happen, and thanks to all the goons who provided my monthly eye candy!

Here are some individual shots of the ponds, with a couple of figures added to show scale. Should be pretty obvious that it's terrain. I need to blow some of the static grass off the water, but you get the picture. I tried a couple different effects with the water - still not completely satisfied, though.

For my Aegis Line, I'm claiming the Detektiv's Journals of weathering (the rust) and conversion (as the model is scratchbuilt, with the gun stolen from a Defiler).

For a before picture, here's some of the carved plaster masters with greenstuffed boils and maggots, alongside the molds I used to cast them.

And, more pictures than are probably necessary:

And, finally, some plaguebearers in their natural habitat (enjoying a 2+ cover save and shooting down fliers):

• Locked thread