Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh can you imagine having to eat lunch or just generally hang out with Mike Lee and Ted Cruz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Shbobdb posted:

I've really been enjoying this cycle of renewal. During the Healthcare debate, Nixon was rehabilitated as a sort of pro-reform icon. "The last left-wing President" and all that, I mean, look at the EPA! And people were dumb enough to get behind it too. Lots of people lamenting, lamenting that loving Richard Mi(l)hous(e) Nixon was our last truly left-wing President.

During Obama's Presidency there has also been a savvy navigation between the lines of "President Who? Let's look at the Senate!" and "Take responsibility, you can't keep blaming the past administration for your failures like TARP!" And now as Obama's Presidency's sun sets, it is time to remember GWB as the Decider he was, the great man! And how dare you question that?

You know, "first as tragedy/then as farce", "capitalism has a way of accelerating itself" and all the other jargon we've come to expect but drat if GWB's rehabilitation didn't come early.

It's really just two people trying to push this "GWB was REALLY SMART GUYS" contrarian angle. Maybe he didn't eat paste as a grown man, but come on here. Absent his family he would have been nothing but a fart in the wind.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Pretty sure that's illegal (if it's genuine), but whatever it's not like they care about endangered animals or laws written by three letter agencies they don't like.

e: also, displaying an animal you didn't kill yourself is poseur poo poo.

Made some liberals mad. Mission accomplished. :smug:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

gently caress it. I sent a notice to the enforcement division of the FWS.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ReidRansom posted:

gently caress it. I sent a notice to the enforcement division of the FWS.

As if they'll do anything...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wonder if they hosed on that rug when the cameras left

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yes, he faces up to 6 months in prison or a $12,000 fine if that is a genuine skin under the Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Act of 1998.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joementum posted:

Yes, he faces up to 6 months in prison or a $12,000 fine if that is a genuine skin under the Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Act of 1998.
Sumbitch would probably try to put on the mantle of Debs and run for president from the jail.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

joeburz posted:

It's really just two people trying to push this "GWB was REALLY SMART GUYS" contrarian angle. Maybe he didn't eat paste as a grown man, but come on here. Absent his family he would have been nothing but a fart in the wind.

The man either fell off the wagon hardcore or managed to choke on a pretzel until he passed out while surrounded by secret service. Im not counting either as a point in his favor if we're gonna talk about how intelligent he was.

Plus, anyone who hitches their political wagon to Dick Cheney and actually listens to him has at best questionable decision making skills.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 24, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

anonumos posted:

As if they'll do anything...

They take that poo poo pretty seriously. Probably even if you're a senator since he had to be such a smug rear end in a top hat and post pictures of himself with it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Good. I hope he loses his loving rug at least.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

zoux posted:

Ugh can you imagine having to eat lunch or just generally hang out with Mike Lee and Ted Cruz?

Welcome to Utah, that's pretty much everyone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

I can imagine a number of conservatives out there that would be pretty pleasant to talk to about non-politics stuff.

Like, I could probably work out and talk about sports with Paul Ryan even if I'm fully aware he's a monster who is out to destroy the underclass.

But Mike Lee and Ted Cruz are the sort of people who I suspect have no redeeming values whatsoever. My guess is that it's unpleasant to even be around them.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I can imagine a number of conservatives out there that would be pretty pleasant to talk to about non-politics stuff.

Like, I could probably work out and talk about sports with Paul Ryan even if I'm fully aware he's a monster who is out to destroy the underclass.

But Mike Lee and Ted Cruz are the sort of people who I suspect have no redeeming values whatsoever. My guess is that it's unpleasant to even be around them.

Mike Lee really loves pirates (as in the "aaarr" type, he's repeatedly talked about his dream of getting a letter of marquee one day). But that's about it.

Cruz though, he's basically soulless.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Spaceman Future! posted:

The man either fell off the wagon hardcore or managed to choke on a pretzel until he passed out while surrounded by secret service. Im not counting either as a point in his favor if we're gonna talk about how intelligent he was.

Plus, anyone who hitches their political wagon to Dick Cheney and actually listens to him has at best questionable decision making skills.

To be fair, Dick Cheney was only vice president because Dubya put him in charge of the VP selection process and he chose himself.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

The-Mole posted:

To be fair, Dick Cheney was only vice president because Dubya put him in charge of the VP selection process and he chose himself.

Wait, this is a joke right? Somehow the darkness in my soul knows it isn't but jesus tittyfucking christ I don't think flags get any redder then that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's something of an oversimplification, but essentially true.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That W could be quite affable and personally emotive is not the same as being particularly bright. The man coasted through college on gentleman's Cs by his own admission, and botched just about every job he ever held. "Incredibly intelligent" my goddamn rear end.

Grades make you smart? Failing in business makes you dumb? This is all news to me.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Harry Joe posted:

Wait, this is a joke right? Somehow the darkness in my soul knows it isn't but jesus tittyfucking christ I don't think flags get any redder then that.

No, that's pretty much exactly how it went down. Cheney examined the list of potential candidates and wouldn't you just know it, he himself came out on top.

SedanChair posted:

Grades make you smart? Failing in business makes you dumb? This is all news to me.

While not in any way an exclusive test, being able to do well in college is generally seen as a sign of intelligence, and failing just about everything you've attempted professional afterward is a pretty solid sign of the opposite. Sorry if this completely blows your mind, dude.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 24, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harry Joe posted:

Don't worry, Bush had interpersonal intelligence.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Yeah, he looked into Putin's eyes and saw his SOUL.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The KKK was always built on a "Morality, Christian Civilization" etc. platform. It's just that terrorism was their way of combating modern decadence.

Rebranding is...kind of legit in that sense? Since people just know them for being racist toolbags.

It's not like only the KKK lynched people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The KKK was always built on a "Morality, Christian Civilization" etc. platform. It's just that terrorism was their way of combating modern decadence.

Rebranding is...kind of legit in that sense? Since people just know them for being racist toolbags.

It's not like only the KKK lynched people.
While I suppose you could say that the KKK engaged in activities other than ethnic terror, and you would be accurate, this seems a matter of primarily historical interest.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/copyranter/your-official-ku-klux-klan-robe-catalog See? Just fashion suppressed for so long.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gygaxian posted:

Mike Lee really loves pirates (as in the "aaarr" type, he's repeatedly talked about his dream of getting a letter of marquee one day). But that's about it.

Cruz though, he's basically soulless.

Mike Lee has (had? been a while) a bunch of legitimately nice staff, so my guess is the guy is personally okay, even if his politics suck (staff tend to reflect their Senator's personality).

SedanChair posted:

Don't forget that if he hadn't been a Bush he would have amounted to nothing (because you can't fail miserably if you start from nothing while being brilliant.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz and Mike Lee went shopping for stuff to put in Cruz's Houston office today.

Oh good I was starting to get worried that Lee might have grown a spine and become independent of Cruz.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SedanChair posted:

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kalman posted:

(staff tend to reflect their Senator's personality).

I feel less bad for using the salutation "hey dickhole" in the message I sent to Cruz's office now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spaceman Future! posted:

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

"It is just wonderful to be back in Oregon, and over the last 15 months we've traveled to every corner of the United States. I've now been in fifty .... seven states? I think one left to go."

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SedanChair posted:

"It is just wonderful to be back in Oregon, and over the last 15 months we've traveled to every corner of the United States. I've now been in fifty .... seven states? I think one left to go."

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

Edit: how about we just get to the kill stroke here.

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." Spoken of a former Commissioner of The International Arabian Horse Association during a National Emergency after which he would resign due to his own incompetence. Good enough job for Bush though.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 24, 2014

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Spaceman Future! posted:

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

Potatoe?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"I know how hard it is to put food on your family"

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

This is the quote he'll always be remembered for.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee...I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee...that says, fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me...we can't get fooled again."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Bush is smart, guys. I know you think you're smarter than him but you plumb loving are not. If any of you were on CNN for eight minutes you'd produce enough gaffes to basically demand seppuku. Bush was up there for eight years. And he's a Bush, come on. HW had plenty of gaffes and nobody called him stupid.

If we're calling him incompetent I'd certainly agree with that.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

If you're going to stake out some bizarre contrarian position that goes against all evidence and that no one will ever believe, can it at least be something more plausible like geocentrism or that we were about to win in Vietnam before the hippies hosed it all up?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

Bush is smart, guys. I know you think you're smarter than him but you plumb loving are not. If any of you were on CNN for eight minutes you'd produce enough gaffes to basically demand seppuku. Bush was up there for eight years. And he's a Bush, come on. HW had plenty of gaffes and nobody called him stupid.

Just what is your definition of smart then? You're apparently setting the bar at anyone without a crippling fear of public speaking.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Just what is your definition of smart then? You're apparently setting the bar at anyone without a crippling fear of public speaking.

George W. Bush is smarter than you

Read the whole thing and try to suppress your feelings of incredulity. Try also to suppress justifications about how this guy must have an agenda.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

SedanChair posted:

He's an idiot like the rest of us. What got him through was the fact that he doesn't give a gently caress how stupid he is. Maybe that in itself is smart, but it's not a sign of great intelligence.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Read the whole thing and try to suppress your feelings of incredulity. Try also to suppress justifications about how this guy must have an agenda.

Hahaha that article convinced me that Stanford makes terrible hiring decisions more than anything.

EDIT: gently caress everything, I now hold the position that Sarah Palin is the greatest orator in American history.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 24, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SedanChair posted:

I don't think Bush is stupid. I think he's intellectually lazy and has some pretty heavy ideological blinders on.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

SedanChair posted:

So somehow the entire world called him dumb because he adopted a Texas accent, yet somehow no one said a thing about the Arkansas accent.

Well, lets see how reliable an author this guy is.

"When designing economic policies there is often a trade-off between our desire to provide immediate financial assistance to those who have our sympathy and our desire to maximize the opportunities for their long run success. If you give financial assistance to someone in need but tell them you will take it away once they no longer need it, you water down the incentive they have to make the effort to improve their own condition. This diminished incentive has an effect on labor supply."

Oh boy a blog full of bootstraps and Bush is a genius. Solid source, cant imagine why I would doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I'm learning so much from this site!
Why high government debt is a problem

Why Paul Ryan's Budget will solve the debt (checking Ryan's numbers is totally unnecessary!)

Why refusing to expand Medicaid is an awesome idea!

quote:

If it’s such a good deal why did the Feds mandate it?

Oooh best quote so far

quote:

“You didn’t build that,” and “You didn’t get there on your own,” and “blessed” and “fortunate” have one thing in common. They deemphasize the idea that success is earned. This makes it easier for President Obama to justify taking more from those who have succeeded.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 24, 2014

• Locked thread