Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja

lelandjs posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\:golfclap:

The thing about the show right now is that we have two Speedies. I assumed that they were using Roy being injected with Mirakuru as a proxy for the drug addict Speedy subplot (honestly I thought it was a pretty good way to handle the "MY WARD IS A JUNKIE" thing, since you get all the baggage but none of the culpability and drama that comes with a character intentionally doing drugs) but now I'm not so sure.

Roy will end up being Arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I liked the scene showing Roy deciding he needed to kill Thea. There was no reason that he needed to kill her, but it showed how the mirakuru convinced him that he needed to anyway. Makes the whole ridiculous Slade blaming Oliver over Shado's death much easier to digest (rather than simply poor writing).

The flashbacks in this episode felt a bit too 'bold and the beautiful' for my liking, but otherwise an awesome episode.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 24, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Man that was a fantastic episode. I've been down on this show the last few weeks, it seemed like it was getting... I don't know, clunky? Loose? Thrown-together? But this episode reminded me how high the highs are with this show. (and that Agents of SHIELD still does have a ways to go before it's playing on the same level)

Not that it was flawless or anything. I mean, yeah, 7-years younger Ollie was pretty funny, but hey what are you gonna do, and younger Moira was alright. Everyone put in a good performance, which was great. Even Caity didn't stand out as bad 90% of the time.

Drifter posted:

However, a formalist approach is a great way to measure the strength of the author, and a good way to extrapolate future direction and quality of a product.

I guess I'm just being annoyingly pedantic. Carry on.

No, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that this is a living, ongoing work and what that means for analysis.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 24, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress. This show is too drat good. Moira :smith:. I desperately want to see Malcolm Merlyn and Ollie take down Slade and gently caress his poo poo up good now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've been loving this season, but aside from the major thing at the very end of the episode, I thought this week's ep was terrible. The whole Roy subplot was hugely repetitive. It was literally like 7 scenes of the same thing: Roy beats someone up, storms off, beats someone up, storms off, etc.

The flashback was just some out-of-left-field Crazytown. So...Ollie's randomly a dad now? That's a thing? It just kind of seemed strange to me that in the episode where we're supposed to feel the most sympathy towards Moira, half the episode is dedicated to her bribing a girl to tell her son she miscarried their unborn child.

Yeah, I'm probably in the huge minority here. Still can't wait to see how the rest of the season shakes out.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Moira went out great, I think in general her character was pretty interesting and her darker aspects only made her work even better aside from some clunkiness here and there. Plus Thea has to find out after an event like this and the less family secret dramas the better the show gets.

I'm glad to see Slayed is not messing around.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

qbert posted:

The flashback was just some out-of-left-field Crazytown. So...Ollie's randomly a dad now? That's a thing? It just kind of seemed strange to me that in the episode where we're supposed to feel the most sympathy towards Moira, half the episode is dedicated to her bribing a girl to tell her son she miscarried their unborn child.

I'm still watching the episode, but the way that scene cuts directly to Sarah on a bike seemed to imply that she was the one Ollie knocked up. Like, maybe the reason he invited her onto the boat was more than just a weekend romp. I know it kind of goes against the tone of the boat flashbacks but Ollie knocking Sarah up and her miscarrying because of the boat going down would be some messed up poo poo.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

qbert posted:

I've been loving this season, but aside from the major thing at the very end of the episode, I thought this week's ep was terrible. The whole Roy subplot was hugely repetitive. It was literally like 7 scenes of the same thing: Roy beats someone up, storms off, beats someone up, storms off, etc.

Yeah, I'm probably in the huge minority here. Still can't wait to see how the rest of the season shakes out.

You are, but you're not wrong. Susanna Thompson got me sympathizing with Moira despite everything, but in the end that was some pretty hosed baby-mama shenanigans. Also, no matter how much Moira or the show may try to convince us, I don't buy the idea that Moira is just a ruthless mother who'd do anything for her kids and that's why she makes all these morally wrong choices; rather, it seems like that's just who she is as a person. Tons of times she's done super hosed up things that had nothing to do with protecting her children.

At least she tried to protect them from the dire threat of dirty, poor Glades people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You're not supposed to feel any sympathy for Moira. It was there to once again show you that Moira does the wrong thing every time in the name of protecting her family even if it hurts them. And then in the end she finally does the right one.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Moira went out great, I think in general her character was pretty interesting and her darker aspects only made her work even better aside from some clunkiness here and there. Plus Thea has to find out after an event like this and the less family secret dramas the better the show gets.

I'm glad to see Slayed is not messing around.

I was like, YAY, Moira is going to spill about Merlyn and then Ollie is going to come out to Thea. Happy family time! NOPE.

I don't think this show has had a more powerful episode.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

qbert posted:

The flashback is basically foreshadowing Moira's sacrifice and motivation to do so. For all the justified criticism of her decision making, in the end we are to understand that she is a mother who loves her kids and truly would do anything for them regardless of how repugnant we've thought of her decisions have been to date.

So between the flashback and the reveal, you could assume she was fair game to bite it and it left the viewer no wiggle room to second guess her sacrifice.

:black101: DEATHSTROKE! :black101:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

qbert posted:

I felt like the flashback scenes set up a scenario that put Moira front and center as a mother who would do anything in her power to ensure that her son's life stays on course without issue. She had a great quote when talking to the girl that was carrying Ollie's baby about how a mother does what she must to make sure their children has the life they need that pretty much sums up the entire episode and Moira's character throughout both seasons, flashbacks and all. Ollie being a dad was completely secondary compared to everything in this episode's flashback narrative; the arc was entirely Moira's.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 24, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I just realized those flashbacks were 7 years ago from now, not 7 years before the start of the series. What does the show's timeline look like, has each season been roughly a year? So I guess that was right before Ollie left on the boat trip? In other words, he was screwing around not just on Laurel, but on Sara, too?

From that "Sara needs Trig help" line I thought they were placing her in high school, but if that was right before the boat trip hadn't she recently started college?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I just realized those flashbacks were 7 years ago from now, not 7 years before the start of the series. What does the show's timeline look like, has each season been roughly a year? So I guess that was right before Ollie left on the boat trip? In other words, he was screwing around not just on Laurel, but on Sara, too?

From that "Sara needs Trig help" line I thought they were placing her in high school, but if that was right before the boat trip hadn't she recently started college?

Yeah this is why I thought it was going to be Sarah, if it happens right before the boat trip.

Also holy loving shitballs that ending. :stare: I don't think there's any risk of Slade getting a redemption arc now...

e: Oh poo poo Amell sells the regretful spoiled kid laughing it off in this flashback

There is going to be no not telling Thea now, holy gently caress

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 24, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WarLocke posted:

e: Oh poo poo Amell sells the regretful spoiled kid laughing it off in this flashback

Well, he does a good job of a kid trying to laugh it off that is. He was clearly sad about the kid and just trying to play it off that he was relieved.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Aw man this show

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Well, he does a good job of a kid trying to laugh it off that is. He was clearly sad about the kid and just trying to play it off that he was relieved.

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. He's a spoiled rich kid, but finding out you're gonna be a dad is not only a little (a lot) scary, he actually seemed like at least part of him was looking forward to it - but he puts up a front and laughs it off.

e: "Ollie why did that guy just kill mom? What was he talking about you choosing someone over her?" "I can't tell you Thea, it's for your protection" Yeah, that's not happening...

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 24, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^ Moira did say something about Slade being on the island with Ollie, so I assume Thea heard that as well, and will probably ask him about what happened and why Slade did what he did... Of course, Ollie will probably avoid the question, pissing Thea off even more and go on another rant about secrets and poo poo.

Jesus gently caress, I didn't expect Moira to actually die (assuming they don't pull a "oh she wasn't stabbed in a vital organ and will survive" thing next week)... I was hoping Diggle, Sara, or someone else to jump in at the last second and stop Slade. :smith:

Also, for anyone else ITT who is watching Portlandia (I dunno why there isn't a thread for it anymore since this season has been great so far), am I the only one who thought that Ollie is not the Pull-Out King when he told Moira that he knocked a girl up?

Obeast fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 24, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Obeast posted:

Jesus gently caress, I didn't expect Moira to actually die (assuming they don't pull a "oh she wasn't stabbed in a vital organ and will survive" thing next week)... I was hoping Diggle, Sara, or someone else to jump in at the last second and stop Slade. :smith:

Well the previews showed a funeral scene so unless they pull some serious Days of our Lives poo poo I think she's gone for good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

raditts posted:

Well the previews showed a funeral scene so unless they pull some serious Days of our Lives poo poo I think she's gone for good.

That's what we all said about Merlyn.

Edit: Also Sara. Seriously, only Tommy has stayed dead. Hell, Summer Glau died and came back to life in the same episode last week.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

qbert posted:

That's what we all said about Merlyn.

Except not only wasn't there a funeral for Merlyn on camera, there wasn't even a body.

Monkeyspit
Mar 4, 2004

The fact is: The fish got changed more often than the water
Well this maybe wasn't the best episode to stay up and watch because I've been having trouble sleeping due to losing my mom a year ago this week.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Obeast posted:

^^^ Moira did say something about Slade being on the island with Ollie, so I assume Thea heard that as well, and will probably ask him about what happened and why Slade did what he did... Of course, Ollie will probably avoid the question, pissing Thea off even more and go on another rant about secrets and poo poo.

There's no way he's not telling Thea what's up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bummer dude, chin up.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

boom boom boom posted:

There's no way he's not telling Thea what's up.
I don't think he'll go as far as telling her he's The Arrow, but I'm sure he'll confirm that he and Slade were on the island, what happened to Shado, and that Slade still blames Ollie about said incident.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Earlier I mentioned that I though the Mirakuru was a good proxy for Speedy being addicted to drugs (though that may not now be the case); I think that Moira paying off the baby mama making sure that Ollie's child was safe, but out of his life, was the best way to deal with one of the... iffier plotlines from the comics Shado has non-consensual sex with a comatose Ollie, resulting in Connor. You get the same end result--Ollie has a kid that he didn't know he had--but it's, well, for lack of a better word, far less pulpy.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

lelandjs posted:

Earlier I mentioned that I though the Mirakuru was a good proxy for Speedy being addicted to drugs (though that may not now be the case); I think that Moira paying off the baby mama making sure that Ollie's child was safe, but out of his life, was the best way to deal with one of the... iffier plotlines from the comics Shado has non-consensual sex with a comatose Ollie, resulting in Connor. You get the same end result--Ollie has a kid that he didn't know he had--but it's, well, for lack of a better word, far less pulpy.

Not sure what the spoilers are about, since this obviously can never happen on the show, but Connor is Ollie's kid by Sandra Moonhawke. Note that the girl that Ollie got pregnant never had her name mentioned.

Ollie's kid by Shado is named Robert, like his grandfather.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

lelandjs posted:

That wasn't Connor it was a kid who fell into comic book limbo so people tend to remember it as being Connor. Connor was from a hippie ex-girlfriend from much earlier in his life.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Obeast posted:

I don't think he'll go as far as telling her he's The Arrow, but I'm sure he'll confirm that he and Slade were on the island, what happened to Shado, and that Slade still blames Ollie about said incident.
I dunno, she knows he knew about Roy being out and about this episode, his mom was covering for him ... if Slade didn't show up I'm sure Ollie would've said it anyway, since it seemed like they were both going for 'confess a secret to Thea' moment in the car, to try to win her back (two truthbombs like Merlyn being alive and her brother being the Arrow would've probably done it IMO).

But instead Thea watches her mother die as Slade monologues in front of her about how Ollie hosed him over back on the island. No way she can't put the pieces together.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

If we are doing comic book chat, can we get Deathstroke his sword from the comics instead of the katana? Seems a little small for him and he can handle a beefier sword just as easily.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

the writer who actually stated Connor was Shado's kid in print admits he dun hosed up. Somehow the editors missed it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blackchamber posted:

If we are doing comic book chat, can we get Deathstroke his sword from the comics instead of the katana? Seems a little small for him and he can handle a beefier sword just as easily.

We're not doing comic chat. He has different swords.

Let's wait to see if they actually do anything with it next year or whatever before we start talking about Oliver's child as if he's an actual character. Because as of now he's not. Last thing we need here is a big Connor Hawke derail.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I gave you advice to patch things up with Thea by staying in the mayoral race, thus forcing Slade's hand to kill you to ensure Blood got put in office.

Sure he was planning to hurt everyone I care about, but maybe I made things worse?

Sorry mom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Didn't he get his swords from the island anyway? There's an actual origin for them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blackchamber posted:

I gave you advice to patch things up with Thea by staying in the mayoral race, thus forcing Slade's hand to kill you to ensure Blood got put in office.

Sure he was planning to hurt everyone I care about, but maybe I made things worse?

Sorry mom.

Yeah, that's not what happened at all though. What Slade did likely had nothing to do with the Mayoral race and everything to do with just loving over Oliver.

See I must have missed this episode of Spider-Man '67 and now I'm pissed.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 24, 2014

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't he get his swords from the island anyway? There's an actual origin for them.

I thought he had those machete things on the island?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus, that last scene was really well acted. It could have been terrible but Susanna Thompson and Willa Holland sold the hell out of that. When Moira told Thea not to look my gut twisted. For a second I thought Slade was going to walk away and him using the katana instead of the gun felt off, since he was going for the whole mirror of what he thinks happened on the island.

Then I realized he was showing her respect and acknowledging her as a person instead of as just a Sarah/Shado analogue in his gently caress with Olliempics because of her choice.

Was Ollie supposed to have fainted/passed out at the end there?

(Also wigs: still terrible. Moira looked like Sarah for a second there).

I think Ollie was supposed to be a freshman in college in the flashback, they were all acting really young (trig is high school math, right? Do they even have trig classes in college?)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 24, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah he had two stupid rear end tactical ninja swords, you can buy them for like $12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished watching the episode. :suspense:

This show does not quit. That ending was the kind of thing most shows save for a season finale, but we've still got three more episodes to go. Jesus.

Hey, a little speculation that I've been thinking about since last week: What if the nerds from Central City figure out that the Mirakuru has healing powers and decide "We should give this to our friend in the coma." :flashfap:

• Locked thread