Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kfroog posted:

The Baby Boomers were named "Generation X" when most of Generation X had yet to be born. Also I thought the standard limits of "Millennials" was 1975-1995? If I'm not a Millennial, Am I just not in a named cohort? 'Cause no way is someone born in the early '80s an X.

I usually hear the last year of X being either 80 or 81, never any later than that. It used to be that those born in the early-mid 80s were called Gen Y, but that seems to have fallen out of common use and/or been absorbed into the Millenials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sweeney Tom posted:

Nobody was there to support the ban in court. State Attorney General refused to defend it. Judge asked questions focusing on how he should apply precedents from higher courts, and said he wouldn't rule until deciding on a request by NOM to defend the ban.
God, at what point will they just loving give up? If NOM is really that loving hot about it, they should defend the ban themselves, and if not, just shut up about it. Everyone knows what the endgame is, hell I think even NOM's admitted it, so this all feels like a bunch of pointless theater.

Crackbone posted:

Not exactly impressed somebody comes out in favor of gay marriage after it's demographically safe to do so.
Eh, I view it as a good indication of just how broad support for same-sex marriage has gotten if a professional wrestler can support it with no big controversy/fanfare. So, :toot:.

deathtoamerica
Apr 24, 2014

by XyloJW

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Shame gen X is going to get lost in the baby boomer/millennial mix :(

Good. Worst Generation by far.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kfroog posted:

The Baby Boomers were named "Generation X" when most of Generation X had yet to be born. Also I thought the standard limits of "Millennials" was 1975-1995? If I'm not a Millennial, Am I just not in a named cohort? 'Cause no way is someone born in the early '80s an X.

No, the baby boom was named already. Millennial is definitely not 1975-1995, and I don't know where you got the idea it was. Generation Y was 1980-2000 for a while though.

Anyway, no generation actually has a consistent factor outside birth dates. Don't get hang up about how people born in 1979 totally can't relate to people born in 1965, that's not what generations are about.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Generational labels aren't very firm until decades after the fact, when it becomes more apparent what the dominant differences between them might be. Even then, they're fairly fluid and more of a spectrum.
See: this thread's widespread disagreement about what years define Gen X, Gen Y (if it exists), Millenials, etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I usually hear the last year of X being either 80 or 81, never any later than that. It used to be that those born in the early-mid 80s were called Gen Y, but that seems to have fallen out of common use and/or been absorbed into the Millenials.
I think most have decided to draw the line at about 81/82 so that the first Millenials were the first people to turn 18 in 2000.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I heard Gen Y a lot in elementary school, back when the "moments" of the generation were "born during Reagan but don't remember him" and Nickelodeon. Once we had actual generational moments like 9/11, the Iraq War, and the explosion of the internet the whole group became known as "Millennials".

To bring this back around to Marriage Equality, I remember a lot of "Being gay is ok" stuff from elementary school on, and "coming out" was seen as a big deal worthy of very special TV episodes. On the other hand, words like "queer" and "human being" were still perfectly acceptable well into high school/college.

There was definitely the potential for my generation to continue the bigotry of our parents, but people from previous generations who fought to show my generation that homosexuality was ok swayed most of us. I like to think we are paying them back with our votes, as well as with conversations we have with our parents and grandparents. My generation is just filling a different role from previous generations, and I don't really see why it's worth arguing over which role is more important.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Install Windows posted:

No, the baby boom was named already. Millennial is definitely not 1975-1995, and I don't know where you got the idea it was. Generation Y was 1980-2000 for a while though.

Anyway, no generation actually has a consistent factor outside birth dates. Don't get hang up about how people born in 1979 totally can't relate to people born in 1965, that's not what generations are about.

Ya 1995 is the much more common cutoff for the millennial window, I've seen 1997 and 2000 used as well though.

How would a generational boundary of a group named for coming of age around the turn of the millennium include people who were born ten years after that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

How would a generational boundary of a group named for coming of age around the turn of the millennium include people who were born ten years after that?

Because generation terms are bullshit contrivances. For what it's worth the first people to use the term Millennial decided it would be for 1982 - 2004.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

fade5 posted:

God, at what point will they just loving give up? If NOM is really that loving hot about it, they should defend the ban themselves, and if not, just shut up about it. Everyone knows what the endgame is, hell I think even NOM's admitted it, so this all feels like a bunch of pointless theater.

NOM does want to defend the ban themselves, the judge is considering whether he'll allow them to do so. Sad to say, they're 100% still that hot for it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

deathtoamerica posted:

Good. Worst Generation by far.
t:mad: No that's the boomers. They were going to change the world and once they got in charge they instead decided to loving burn it all down. They also say poo poo like "keep government hands off my Medicare." They are the epitome of FYGM.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SubponticatePoster posted:

t:mad: No that's the boomers. They were going to change the world and once they got in charge they instead decided to loving burn it all down. They also say poo poo like "keep government hands off my Medicare." They are the epitome of FYGM.

I know this but I try to not to last out at all of them :( My parents are progressives.

But 100% agree that the sooner boomers die off the better.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

There are probably a few wrestling fans who aren't quite on board with SSM, if the ones I know are any indication.

Well, maybe the wrestling fan base will be a bit cooler with it now their chief homophobe is dead.

I'm going to miss the marriage equality movement when it finishes. Especially with gay people assimilating so much that the editor of HuffPost Gay is complaining he can't say the word "shemale" without raising the ire of the language police.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VitalSigns posted:

Hey, if you're going to argue for traditional marriage, insisting on arranged marriage is only being consistent :v:

I propose a reasonable compromise of arranged gay marriages.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

TinTower posted:

Well, maybe the wrestling fan base will be a bit cooler with it now their chief homophobe is dead.

I'm going to miss the marriage equality movement when it finishes. Especially with gay people assimilating so much that the editor of HuffPost Gay is complaining he can't say the word "shemale" without raising the ire of the language police.

I used to think people complaining about "political correctness" were just whiny babies who were mad that they couldn't say slurs.

Then I used Tumblr.

Now I don't know what to think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
That's not political correctness, that's 12 year olds.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Install Windows posted:

That's not political correctness, that's 12 year olds.

Check your privilege, shitlord. :smuggo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Be careful with that one, it's an antique.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

AYC posted:

I used to think people complaining about "political correctness" were just whiny babies who were mad that they couldn't say slurs.

Then I used Tumblr.

If they're journalists, they're probably in that first bracket; see also Julie Burchill crying about her right to free speech being curtailed by having a horrifically transphobic column published on the websites of two newspapers.

Like, seriously, HuffPo sees nothing wrong in a video in which the punchline is that a trans woman gets shot to death.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AYC posted:

People complaining about "political correctness" are just whiny babies who are mad that they can't say slurs (without someone complaining). You're welcome.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Sharkie posted:

People complaining about "political correctness" are just whiny babies who are mad that they can't say slurs (without someone complaining). You're welcome.

I would've agreed with you until I learned "marijuana" and "butthurt" are offensive terms and automated soda machines are ableist tools of oppression.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

AYC posted:

I would've agreed with you until I learned "marijuana" and "butthurt" are offensive terms and automated soda machines are ableist tools of oppression.

See, we already have a term for that kind of stuff.

It's "being loving stupid".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

AYC posted:

Yeah but you're not one of the "people complaining about political correctness." I bet you don't go out of your way to post on facebook about PC NAZIS TAKING AWAY OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH. They, like you said, are just being whiny that they can't use slurs without criticism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AYC posted:

I don't know. Even if the proponents are being abrasive, I don't think "refusing to make vending machines easier for the disabled to use" is the hill I want to die on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

AYC posted:

It's true and the Tumblr people are dumb. Both things are true.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Lycus posted:

It's true and the Tumblr people are dumb. Both things are true.

I just can't get behind the "everything is offensive" mentality. Way too authoritarian for my tastes, and it reeks of people looking for an excuse to find something objectionable.

I don't think that makes me anti-PC whiner.

EDIT: I'm talking about people saying I can't say marijuana, not about the n-word. There's a difference.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AYC posted:

I just can't get behind the "everything is offensive" mentality. Way too authoritarian for my tastes, and it reeks of people looking for an excuse to find something objectionable.

Again, you're getting mad about literal children on the Internet who in their next posts are talking about how dreamy some Disney Channel star is, and then whine about how homework sucks.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AYC posted:

EDIT: I'm talking about people saying I can't say marijuana, not about the n-word. There's a difference.

If you can log out of one particular website full of children and literally never be exposed to that criticism or attack again it's probably not a big deal. As opposed to people who are effected by things like "the color of your skin means you're probably a criminal, why can't I say that you pc thug," and "it's funny when people like you die, why can't I just make a joke" who are effected by those sentiments because they are ingrained in our very society. I'm sorry if I find the latter more of an issue than the former and so give the people saying "hey, we should question this" a little more credence than the people who are clutching their pearls about the inevitable pc totalitarian empire not really sorry.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If it's on tumblr and it doesn't pass the "smell test" i.e., comes off as bullshit it is probably bullshit.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chad Griffin was shamed into acknowledging other people's efforts.

quote:

Simply put, I have nothing in common with the trailblazing courage of Rosa Parks.
:toot:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

But 100% agree that the sooner boomers die off the better.

Yeah, Oklahoma fans are the absolute worse.

Wait.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Shaming is the greatest tool for quickly and efficiently bringing about sincere changes of mind and progress.

Fight the power, or be branded the irredeemable Privileged-word. :black101:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

AYC posted:

"Politically Correct" is a ridiculous term that, near as I can tell, assholes toss at people trying to be considerate in a (mostly successful) attempt to make everybody question why they're not acting like an rear end in a top hat too.

Quit worrying about whether or not you're "Politically Correct". It is literally least you can do to use the word "gay" instead of "fag", or "black" instead of "negro", or "handicapped" instead of "crippled". Language changes. Your brain can handle this, and it's not your problem if other people are so god damned lazy that they can't cope with learning new word usage.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TinTower posted:

The WWE had an active openly gay wrestler before the NFL even heard of Michael Sam.

The reaction to him coming out was deafening silence, too, it was pretty great. Literally nobody cared and poo poo just went on as normal.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/04/23/there-are-just-4-unchallenged-state-gay-marriage-bans-soon-there-will-be-3/

Only four state gay marriage bans in the entire U.S. are not being challenged in court.

SCOTUS is going to have to deal with this soon. I wouldn't be surprised if gay marriage is legal nationwide before Obama is out of office.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AYC posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/04/23/there-are-just-4-unchallenged-state-gay-marriage-bans-soon-there-will-be-3/

Only four state gay marriage bans in the entire U.S. are not being challenged in court.

SCOTUS is going to have to deal with this soon. I wouldn't be surprised if gay marriage is legal nationwide before Obama is out of office.

The comments on that article are hilarious

quote:

We have other matters that are more important than Same Sex Marriages. Those who oppose Gay Marriages, have a right to speak out without being called bigots, racists, gay bashers, and homophobic. Those who oppose Same Sex Marriages do not have to condone this type of behavior, and for those who disagree, well, in the end let God be the judge. Now we are using racism, when racism has nothing to do with this, homosexuality is a way of life, and those who choose that lifestyle, well, let them pro-create, and then the courts can review the issue of Same Sex Marriage, no adopting, a man giving birth, and no artificial insemination by woman. It takes a man and woman to have children, the sperm of a male that fertilizes the egg in a woman vagina. When two woman/man can engage in a sexual act that produces children, then and only then those who oppose same sec marriages recant their views.

"Look there are way more important things to worry about than gay marriage"
"Oh great then you'll stop opposing it so we can concentrate on more imp--"
:byodood: "Never!! The Lord God will judge us all for your iniquity, sinner!

quote:

Think you ''people'', natural laws assert that only opposite magnetic fields can attract., while same poles repel. they can't bond. That is natural. And in the beginning the Creator made the best and true form of conjugal companionship as male & female, not the other way round. Yet over 70% of all gays are ''Christians'', still professing to believe the Bible, (thus see 1Corinth 6:9-11, Rom 1:22-28, & others). constitutional freedoms and liberties?? why then have we criminalized polygamy? are they not consenting adults also? and why have we banned child marriages when the Islamic world continue to practice it? therefore freedoms and liberties must be guided as lack of such guidance would breed only anarchy. follow what is natural or learn to. Furthermore, majority of homosexuals have leaned towards that orientation due to early life abuses and seductions by pedophiles and older gays. others can unlearn it too through patience and perseverance.

Oh yeah, well oil and water don't mix. Polar with polar, non-polar with non-polar. Natural law says you have to be gay. So quit sinning, breeder :science:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Representative Daniel Webster of Florida, too, firmly believes that there are much greater threats to the sanctity of marriage than a couple sodomites.

That's why he introduced a bill every session he was a state legislator to illegalize no-fault divorce.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Representative Daniel Webster of Florida, too, firmly believes that there are much greater threats to the sanctity of marriage than a couple sodomites.

That's why he introduced a bill every session he was a state legislator to illegalize no-fault divorce.

That's a pretty great troll on his part to expose the hypocrisy of the "threat to marriage" but I'd be scared to do that in Florida because they might actually pass it.

Edit: Oh wait, poo poo, he was actually serious?!

quote:

Grayson described it like this: "Dan Webster's bill reduces the institution of marriage to a roach motel: You can check in, but you can't check out." Grayson added:

"With one exception: adultery. So, let's say that your husband, God forbid, has been abusing you. And you need a divorce. You have only one option. According to Dan Webster's law, you would need to deliberately commit infidelity in order to get a divorce."

"Ah, but here's the catch. Under Dan Webster's law, if both parties cheat on each other, then they can't get a divorce. Ever. They're locked in holy matrimony, forever. Like two scorpions in a bottle. So if you cheat on him to get away from him, and it turns out that he's cheated on you, well then..."

:gop:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 25, 2014

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh yeah, well oil and water don't mix. Polar with polar, non-polar with non-polar. Natural law says you have to be gay. So quit sinning, breeder :science:

According to gravity everything is attracted to everything else, so both heterosexuals and homosexuals are clearly deviants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VitalSigns posted:

That's a pretty great troll on his part to expose the hypocrisy of the "threat to marriage" but I'd be scared to do that in Florida because they might actually pass it.

Edit: Oh wait, poo poo, he was actually serious?!

:gop:
Yeah, he and some other Evangelical Republicans (such as Mike Huckabee) have unsuccessfully pushed for ending no-fault divorce. There are a couple of Southern states that give married couples the ability to sign 'contracts' or whatever that make it impossible for a no-fault divorce. There's a name for this but I forget what it's called. Regardless, even in these ultra-conservative states, it's extremely unpopular.

• Locked thread