Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

field balm posted:

I bought the very first release of dotp several years ago on xbox live and played it for all of half an hour. Seems like it would be ok if you could play limited against other people for free or something, but for constructed competitive it didn't (doesn't?) compare to mtgo at all in any way.

I think lots more people would be ok with paying money for cards if the client wasn't so bad. The beta brings my fairly decent gaming pc to its knees :(.

It randomly stops working, but most of the time MTGO works just fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What a Judas posted:

That's cool and all, but these versions of the game are still really sub-par when you're used to upper echelon competitive play. It's great for casuals though, I guess.

Good thing that the game is targeted at newer/casual players and not at competitive Magic players, then.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I love cubing and artificial environments; I've probably put 30-40 hours into each of the Duels games. They're very well made and well balanced, especially the last one having a lot of possible deck customization. The smaller environment also allows deck archetypes you would never see in Constructed tournaments, which is super interesting to me. If you hate it because its cards aren't at a particular power level...that's pretty weird.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Literally The Worst posted:

Good thing that the game is targeted at newer/casual players and not at competitive Magic players, then.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said, Dickeye.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

It randomly stops working, but most of the time MTGO works just fine for me.

Specifically, don't bother trying to play in a PTQ or MOCS and you'll be fine in general. Also, don't use the beta, you can download the old client somewhere still, I believe.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What a Judas posted:

Which is pretty much exactly what I said, Dickeye.

Well with a healthy dose of "I guess this game sucks if you aren't the audience for the game" making it the most unnecessary sentence known to man. It's not intended to be a replacement for playing Magic with other people, it's just supposed to be a thing to introduce new players to the game and maybe you can play it and have some fun playing Arcade Magic when you're bored and don't want to play like there's prizes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Well with a healthy dose of "I guess this game sucks if you aren't the audience for the game" making it the most unnecessary sentence known to man. It's not intended to be a replacement for playing Magic with other people, it's just supposed to be a thing to introduce new players to the game and maybe you can play it and have some fun playing Arcade Magic when you're bored and don't want to play like there's prizes.

Except it was a reply to people going "now make mtgo exactly like this" and not just making GBS threads on dotp.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

MrBling posted:

Except it was a reply to people going "now make mtgo exactly like this" and not just making GBS threads on dotp.

No I was mostly just making GBS threads on DotP.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Do the cards shown on the DotP video have any bearing on whether or not those cards will show up in M15?
I'd sure like to get some Death Cultist activations.
Plus, the way they're pushing B/G Dredge, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spider Spawning again. It's generically flavored and pretty fun.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Do the cards shown on the DotP video have any bearing on whether or not those cards will show up in M15?
I'd sure like to get some Death Cultist activations.
Plus, the way they're pushing B/G Dredge, I wouldn't be surprised to see Spider Spawning again. It's generically flavored and pretty fun.

The rule of thumb is: if it's a brand new card, it's from the upcoming core set. If it's not a brand new card, it being in DotP doesn't mean anything. The tightly controlled environment of the video game lets them get away with a ton of cards they'd never want to put in a core set (or Standard, or Modern...). Armageddon was an unlockable card last year, for instance.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It's much more like puzzle magic, where it sets up specific situations you have to solve, and a deck-building exercise with limited resources.

Is there a source for Puzzle Magic puzzles? I have two old copies of InQuest here, and I absolutely loved those You Can't Win puzzles, which gave you a board state, then said "you can't win, but try to do THIS thing", like getting a fully loaded Suncrusher in, or having seven Squires in play (starting with one). I know that MaRo got his start writing puzzles as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still did that sort of thing somehow.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Those puzzles were my favorite part of DOTP, and I'd love more of them, whether through DOTP or even better, a feature on Wizards' or some other site. It's probably amount the most niche content they could possibly do, but man, it'd be sweet.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Serperoth posted:

Is there a source for Puzzle Magic puzzles? I have two old copies of InQuest here, and I absolutely loved those You Can't Win puzzles, which gave you a board state, then said "you can't win, but try to do THIS thing", like getting a fully loaded Suncrusher in, or having seven Squires in play (starting with one). I know that MaRo got his start writing puzzles as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still did that sort of thing somehow.

I'm sure they had some of those in issues of The Duelist back when it was a thing in the mid-late 90's. Some of the puzzles were vicious, but good luck finding .pdf's of the magazines.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Alris posted:

I'm sure they had some of those in issues of The Duelist back when it was a thing in the mid-late 90's. Some of the puzzles were vicious, but good luck finding .pdf's of the magazines.

Here's one.

Found it while googling. First one to solve it gets a cookie!

In case the text is too small to read, it's the beginning of your main phase. Try to win this turn.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

qbert posted:

Here's one.

Found it while googling. First one to solve it gets a cookie!

In case the text is too small to read, it's the beginning of your main phase. Try to win this turn.

Uhhh

You've got UURR in mana, and since you're at 3, you need to activate the Crystal Rod at least once if you want to fire the Orcish Artillery. The easiest way to swing for 6 is to jump the Keldon Warlord after casting the Merfolk out of your hand, but the Sengir Vampire's in the way. I *think* the Vampire's got no counters on it, making it a 6/5, meaning your bolt and a shot from the Artillery would drop it. So:

1. Bolt the Sengir Vampire, spending an additional R to activate Crystal Rod as you do (UU remaining). Go to 4
2. Shoot down the Vampire with the Artillery. Go to 1
3. Cast the Merfolk (U Remaining), bumping up Keldon Warlord to a 6/6
4. Cast Flight on the Keldon Warlord and swing for lethal

I think that works? I'd be a lot better at Magic if I thought about board states the way I do puzzles. :(

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

Uhhh

You've got UURR in mana, and since you're at 3, you need to activate the Crystal Rod at least once if you want to fire the Orcish Artillery. The easiest way to swing for 6 is to jump the Keldon Warlord after casting the Merfolk out of your hand, but the Sengir Vampire's in the way. I *think* the Vampire's got no counters on it, making it a 6/5, meaning your bolt and a shot from the Artillery would drop it. So:

1. Bolt the Sengir Vampire, spending an additional R to activate Crystal Rod as you do (UU remaining). Go to 4
2. Shoot down the Vampire with the Artillery. Go to 1
3. Cast the Merfolk (U Remaining), bumping up Keldon Warlord to a 6/6
4. Cast Flight on the Keldon Warlord and swing for lethal

I think that works? I'd be a lot better at Magic if I thought about board states the way I do puzzles. :(

Sadly, I think that's wrong. Crystal Rod only activates when you cast a blue spell, so you'd pay the R after casting the Merfolk. But even then, Warlord only becomes a 5/5, not a 6/6. I think?

Edit: Actually, on second look, your solution works! I forgot Orcish Artillery is a creature.

qbert fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 24, 2014

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
EDIT: Wait, no, that doesn't work.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

qbert posted:

Sadly, I think that's wrong. Crystal Rod only activates when you cast a blue spell, so you'd pay the R after casting the Merfolk. But even then, Warlord only becomes a 5/5, not a 6/6. I think?

Keldon Warlord, Orcish Artillery, Hill Giant, Sea Serpent, Clone, Merfolk makes 6 non-wall creatures.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I played for like a month when I was a kid but didn't know what I was really doing, then years later I tried the first DotP and now I see myself playing mtg for a real long time. So yeah, I guess DotP did exactly what wizards wanted.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Allstone posted:

Keldon Warlord, Orcish Artillery, Hill Giant, Sea Serpent, Clone, Merfolk makes 6 non-wall creatures.

Yep, I forgot Artillery was a dude.

Here's another one!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hopping Ghost posted:

Those puzzles were my favorite part of DOTP, and I'd love more of them, whether through DOTP or even better, a feature on Wizards' or some other site. It's probably amount the most niche content they could possibly do, but man, it'd be sweet.

I'm sure they're aware there's fans of them (s'why they put them into DOTP) but it's kind of a difficult thing to support. Plus the main person at Wizards who loves Magic Puzzles (Maro) literally has no time to make them.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Korak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLwknTd9aZQ

Proper deck building shown off in DotP 2015. Honestly with how slick everything looks on the ipad it really puts MTGO to shame.

That UI is so slick. I'm not sure it really goes with Magic's aesthetic (it looks very similar to the Assassins Creed iPad CCG), but I love it anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

qbert posted:

Yep, I forgot Artillery was a dude.

Here's another one!

Worth noting here: It's currently your opponent's end-of-turn step. I was stumped for a while before I noticed that.

End of turn: activate Gravespawn Sovereign to get back your opponent's Crested Craghorn (opponent goes to 16), use Smokespew Invoker to kill his Wretched Anurid.
Upkeep: Sacrifice Crested Craghorn to Nantuko Husk (4/4), Gravespawn back Wretched Anurid (tapping everything not Nantuko Husk) (opponent's creatures get -1/-1), sacrifice Anurid, Festering Goblin (give one of the X/5s -1/-1), Aphetto Vulture (put Festering Goblin on top), Smokespew Invoker to Nantuko Husk (12/12)
Draw: The Festering Goblin you put on top
Main: Play Festering Goblin (opponent's creatures get another -1/-1), sacrifice it to Nantuko Husk (14/14) (giving the other X/5 -1/-1). Cast Infest, wiping your opponent's board. Sacrifice your other two creatures to Nantuko Husk making it a 16/16, attack for the win.

Lots of false leads in that one, it's a pretty neat puzzle.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Lands in front of creatures.

Why.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jabor posted:

Worth noting here: It's currently your opponent's end-of-turn step. I was stumped for a while before I noticed that.

End of turn: activate Gravespawn Sovereign to get back your opponent's Crested Craghorn (opponent goes to 16), use Smokespew Invoker to kill his Wretched Anurid.
Upkeep: Sacrifice Crested Craghorn to Nantuko Husk (4/4), Gravespawn back Wretched Anurid (tapping everything not Nantuko Husk) (opponent's creatures get -1/-1), sacrifice Anurid, Festering Goblin (give one of the X/5s -1/-1), Aphetto Vulture (put Festering Goblin on top), Smokespew Invoker to Nantuko Husk (12/12)
Draw: The Festering Goblin you put on top
Main: Play Festering Goblin (opponent's creatures get another -1/-1), sacrifice it to Nantuko Husk (14/14) (giving the other X/5 -1/-1). Cast Infest, wiping your opponent's board. Sacrifice your other two creatures to Nantuko Husk making it a 16/16, attack for the win.

Lots of false leads in that one, it's a pretty neat puzzle.

Nice! I was thinking along similar lines but I kept trying to use Cruel Revival instead of Infest which kept stumping me.

Edit: One last puzzle.

qbert fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 24, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I picked up DotP because I had fled the wallet-draining, rear end-burgering environment of MTGO, but needed a quick Magic fix now and then. It was pretty good at doing what it did, the UI is fine once you get used to it and the AI is actually pretty good.

What made me eventually ragequit is how the AI loving cheats. When playing the white weenie deck, it dropped first turn Champion of the Parish, second turn Gather the Townsfolk at least half the time. And if I'm at 12 life and the computer decides not to attack with it's Goblin Guide? OH LOOK THERE'S A LAND ON TOP OF MY LIBRARY WHAT A SURPRISE! :argh:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I started to sour on dotp but the iPad version is great for a mobile game. Though deck building might make me want to get the PC version.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

I picked up DotP because I had fled the wallet-draining, rear end-burgering environment of MTGO, but needed a quick Magic fix now and then. It was pretty good at doing what it did, the UI is fine once you get used to it and the AI is actually pretty good.

What made me eventually ragequit is how the AI loving cheats. When playing the white weenie deck, it dropped first turn Champion of the Parish, second turn Gather the Townsfolk at least half the time. And if I'm at 12 life and the computer decides not to attack with it's Goblin Guide? OH LOOK THERE'S A LAND ON TOP OF MY LIBRARY WHAT A SURPRISE! :argh:

Reminds me of fighting the final boss of 2014. White weenies, victory practically assured next turn.

Teammate Chandra just wipes the board and we're hosed.

Nowhere near as bad as fighting Nicol Bolas though. I just managed to beat him by turning the raw burn power up to 11 and giving him no creatures to ever grab beyond things that would die anyway.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The Chants of the Muldaya deck inspired me to make a mono green eldrazi EDH deck. DotP is a nice decently priced alternative when you simply cannot get someone to play against with real cards.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

My best memory was DOTP original. Seeing a T1 Mox from Karn is pretty :gonk:

i liked all DOTP after that except the recent iteration. I just don't like any of the decks in it.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
This is probably a noob question but if I attack with Aurealia and 3 other creatures and then I untap them and attack again can I then cast Relentless Assault and attack two more times per Aurelia's ability?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

This is probably a noob question but if I attack with Aurealia and 3 other creatures and then I untap them and attack again can I then cast Relentless Assault and attack two more times per Aurelia's ability?

Nah, she already attacked for the first time that turn. You should try Cloudshift on her though, since that will make her poof off and then back onto the field, making a new iteration of her. That means that when she attacks after a cloudshift, that will be her new first time that turn.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

No Aurelia's ability explicitly states that it only triggers on the first attack. Relentless Assault would allow you to attack only one time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Stinky Pit posted:

No Aurelia's ability explicitly states that it only triggers on the first attack. Relentless Assault would allow you to attack only one time.

It's when Aurelia attacks for the first time each turn. Blinking creates a "new" Aurelia who is now attacking for the first time this turn.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Eeeee, that's sick. So would this be possible then? (I play R/W Soldiers EDH)

Aurelia + creatures attack
Cloudshift before second combat phase
Arurelia + creatures attack
Flash in Restoration Angel to essentially Cloudshift Aurelia

***end turn***

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

***end turn***

Yes! And in fact, that's how a great many games have ended with my Aurelia EDH deck.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

***end turn***

Restoration Angel can't blink Aurelia, it can only target non-angels.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Restoration Angel can't blink Aurelia, it can only target non-angels.

Ahhh, right so then maybe Momentary Blink or one of the many other white flicker instants?

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
Signed up for my first prerelease for the midnight release - what can I expect when I'm there? I've never done one before.

Also I went to a game shop I found near my work. Saw Snow-Covered lands that I coveted since I was a kid and I finally have them now. Took the pre-loved ones that were a little beat despite the guy offering the slightly better ones. It was pleasant - sadly they didn't have Squee's Toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

MaRo came out of the closet to say:

Ken Nagle, by the way, tried very hard to get a Persephone I to print in Theros block.
Wonder how ridiculous this card was not to get reprinted.

Persephone
B
Legendary Creature
When Persephone enters the battlefield, exile all cards from all graveyards.
If a card or token would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
2/1

• Locked thread