Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Oracle posted:

Was Ollie supposed to have fainted/passed out at the end there?
Car crash concussion + Slade has a gun trained on your mother and sister + Roy gave you a broken leg + Slade tied you up with Australian Special Forces knots = can't really get up and do much.

I think after Slade stabbed Moira, Ollie just went into shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Bad Moon posted:

I thought he had those machete things on the island?

On the island he wields these, not regular ol' katana.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wasn't this episode originally supposed to be the Flash backdoor pilot? (episode 20 or so?). I'm curious if killing Moira was planned for the end of this season somewhere else but then they realized they had to sort of fill in the empty slot after they immediately took Flash to pilot after he showed up in Arrow.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Yeah, I figured it had to be something like that, but I couldn't see if his eyes were open and Thea was just sitting there sobbing over their mom and he was so completely still I wondered if he was supposed to be unconscious.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

Car crash concussion + Slade has a gun trained on your mother and sister + Roy gave you a broken leg + Slade tied you up with Australian Special Forces knots = can't really get up and do much.

We prefer to use the culturally accurate Aboriginal word 'zip ties'.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

Wasn't this episode originally supposed to be the Flash backdoor pilot? (episode 20 or so?). I'm curious if killing Moira was planned for the end of this season somewhere else but then they realized they had to sort of fill in the empty slot after they immediately took Flash to pilot after he showed up in Arrow.

Yeah, it was originally. But that was nixed early enough into production that I'm sure they didn't even have scripts of most of the last half of the season yet.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
EDIT: oh and on some of the stuff we glossed over in this episode - I'm a little bummed out about Sarah being hastily written out there. Plenty of opportunity for her to come back, but it's a little disappointing.

Diggle got some dialogue! I liked when Roy first knocked him the hell over, he turns to Felicity and asks "Are you okay?" :unsmith:

Oracle posted:

Jesus, that last scene was really well acted. It could have been terrible but Susanna Thompson and Willa Holland sold the hell out of that. When Moira told Thea not to look my gut twisted.
It was an incredibly well made, well-acted scene, it was genuinely just horrifying and emotional and absolutely filled me with dread. They definitely sold you on how hosed up that situation was. (Although the put-the-gun-away, sword-out-of-nowhere move was too much of a comedy beat)

But I have real mixed feelings about them killing off Moira, and I'm kind of disappointed about it. I actually think it would have been a better move to kill off Thea.

For one thing, I would've liked a bigger discussion between Ollie and Moira about her knowing he was the Arrow ("Sorry I shot you that one time"), then there's the fact she has always been shaping up to be a full on villain in my eyes. I mean she's been involved in some grim, quite evil stuff since the end of the pilot. She has access to murderous mercenaries, she has Ra's Al Ghul on speeddial, we haven't explored quite how corrupt she is and I still feel like we're not entirely sure what role she played in the shipwreck. (But maybe that's just me)

And although she pretty much did the same thing every week, the actress played the smug smart evil part reeeeally well. Reminiscent of Sherry Palmer from 24. (Also y'all can criticise the wig all you want, she was a stone cold fox with the longer hair in those flashbacks.)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 24, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jscolon2.0 posted:

Not sure what the spoilers are about, since this obviously can never happen on the show, but Connor is Ollie's kid by Sandra Moonhawke. Note that the girl that Ollie got pregnant never had her name mentioned.

Ollie's kid by Shado is named Robert, like his grandfather.

SirDan3k posted:

That wasn't Connor it was a kid who fell into comic book limbo so people tend to remember it as being Connor. Connor was from a hippie ex-girlfriend from much earlier in his life.

Yup, totally got the names confused. Guess I should stop saying how the show differs from the comics without, y'know, making sure I remember the comics correctly. :v:

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
On the plus side for Ollie, looks like his money problem has been solved for him.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
That sure was a lot of laughable/boring filler before we got to those 7 minutes of :black101: CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE :black101:

...sums this show pretty well.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oracle posted:

Jesus, that last scene was really well acted. It could have been terrible but Susanna Thompson and Willa Holland sold the hell out of that. When Moira told Thea not to look my gut twisted. For a second I thought Slade was going to walk away and him using the katana instead of the gun felt off, since he was going for the whole mirror of what he thinks happened on the island.

Then I realized he was showing her respect and acknowledging her as a person instead of as just a Sarah/Shado analogue in his gently caress with Olliempics because of her choice.

Was Ollie supposed to have fainted/passed out at the end there?

(Also wigs: still terrible. Moira looked like Sarah for a second there).

I think Ollie was supposed to be a freshman in college in the flashback, they were all acting really young (trig is high school math, right? Do they even have trig classes in college?)

I think Ollie just collapsed out of sheer despair and pain. Not really passed out, just... like when you flop yourself on a bed after a long day.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
A little interview with Moira Queen, I assume this site is legit: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/04/arrow-exclusive-susanna-thompson-speaks-on-starling-city-shocker/

quote:

TVF: Talk to me about that conversation when you found out this was what was going to happen.

ST: Those conversations are mixed. In the back of your mind one never knows in a show like this who’s next. So there’s that. And then when you hear that it’s going to be your character, there’s a sense of shock. There’s a sense of sadness and there’s a sense of acceptance as well. I think particularly for Moira. If you looked at the current journey, the comic book journey for her, I think Oliver was five when she died in the African safari. I used to joke with people like David Ramsey that once we hear that Moira’s got a ticket to Africa, then we know what’s going to happen.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:tviv:

RIP Moira. God drat I'm gonna miss evil mom.

VagueRant posted:

And although she pretty much did the same thing every week, the actress played the smug smart evil part reeeeally well. Reminiscent of Sherry Palmer from 24. (Also y'all can criticise the wig all you want, she was a stone cold fox with the longer hair in those flashbacks.)

So true. Looking back, the reveal about her knowing about Oliver's night life was the nail in the coffin, but I enjoyed watching her as a schemer. It was 7 minutes of edge of your seat suspense, and I'm immensely satisfied, but man. :smith: You were too good evil for this world.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

gently caress. Watching both this and Game of Thrones is not at all good for my sanity.

Moira was hands-down my favorite character in this show. :smith:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have so many emotions about this show it's not even funny. That final scene was just...goddamn.

And is it just me or is Caity Lotz actually getting really good? She's carrying herself and her words differently than how she used to. Well, except for that weird "You have to treasure your precious light away from my darkity darkness" speech or whatever it was she said to Oliver. I don't think anyone could have saved those lines.

Unfortunately, I also have to say there's a part of me that really hopes the baby Arrow isn't Connor Hawke...who, coincidentally, is my third favorite DC superhero of all time. Connor is mixed-race, his mother is supposed to be black-Asian mixed, and the actress they got for this character -- whoever she is -- is...well, obviously not that. This show already has a problem with whitewashing and I really wouldn't want that problem exacerbated.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

JayMax posted:

On the plus side for Ollie, looks like his money problem has been solved for him.

"I've been stealing the checks you mom pays for her life insurance with out of the mailbox... Slade out."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's just you. Caity isn't getting better. Her scene with Oliver about leaving was the worst part of the episode because her inability to pull off any kind of serious scenes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe I just like her whenever she's putting down Oliver because it's always so accurate. :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Caity is not a good actress but she's great at stunt work and boy can the girl dance, so most of us give her a pass.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Obeast posted:

I don't think he'll go as far as telling her he's The Arrow, but I'm sure he'll confirm that he and Slade were on the island, what happened to Shado, and that Slade still blames Ollie about said incident.

I guarantee that by episode 1 of season 3 at the latest, Thea will know. Everyone else knows, this whole season has been telling Ollie that keeping secrets from people he cares about is a HORRIBLE idea, often literally, often through Thea just outright saying it.

Deadpool posted:

It's just you. Caity isn't getting better. Her scene with Oliver about leaving was the worst part of the episode because her inability to pull off any kind of serious scenes.

OK, this argument is tearing this thread apart. Everybody choose their favorite Files sister, and then we fight, whoever wins gets to declare the other one The Worst Character Whose Actress Is Bad And/Or Looks Funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe I just like her whenever she's putting down Oliver because it's always so accurate. :v:

But she wasn't putting him down at all. She was saying that he was a better person than her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Deadpool posted:

But she wasn't putting him down at all. She was saying that he was a better person than her.
Right, which was why I didn't like that part. I liked earlier when she was reaming him about his naive attitude with Roy and Slade.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Deadpool posted:

You're completely right, and I have no doubt a great actress could have pulled off that scene, but it is totally true that those lines were pretty awful.

I think that what is happening, if anything, is that the show runners are learning her limits, getting better at putting Lotz in the kind of scenes she can handle.

Usually.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Pretty sure Sara was just fumbling for an excuse to say "I'm going to leave town now, but good luck fighting Slade on your own!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm trying to think of a truly bad episode from this season, any one have any suggestion. I kind of feelany episode is at least good or great. I can't htink of a Huntress run that this season has had?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm trying to think of a truly bad episode from this season, any one have any suggestion. I kind of feelany episode is at least good or great. I can't htink of a Huntress run that this season has had?

Birds of Prey was actually an ok episode (though I may be just the minority of goons who like Huntress episodes). It also brought us Rambo Cop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like how the show has totally turned around what I wanted out of this season. At the beginning I was dreading Oliver and Slade having a falling out because I liked Slade so much. Now I cannot wait for Oliver to kill him deader than dead. I like actually wanting the villain to die. He's a cool villain and all, but sometimes shows will make the villain too cool so that you want to keep him around indefinitely. They've done a good job of really making me want that moment where Oliver finally does get him. I don't know if they will do that, but I can't wait for the moment if they do.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Well, Time of Death, the Clock King episode with all the awful soap opera poo poo might have been the worst episode they ever did. (Even if it set up one of the best.)

And there have been a few weak filler-y episodes along the way, but that's kind of expected.

Deadpool posted:

He's a cool villain and all, but sometimes shows will make the villain too cool so that you want to keep him around indefinitely.
I still remember being disappointed when they brought Barrowman back with no explanation.

As for Slade, I'm wondering if they'll cure him of his madness after the big final battle and he'll be repentant and run off and become a recurring anti-hero.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked the Clock King one. I think the Shrapnel episode was one that I specifically thought "Meh, not that great," but that may be because it just came off of a hiatus, right on the heels of a really drat awesome episode.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

VagueRant posted:

Pretty sure Sara was just fumbling for an excuse to say "I'm going to leave town now, but good luck fighting Slade on your own!"

I have to go now, my planet needs me.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

OmniBeer posted:

To be fair, Moira revealed that she knew and said she was proud of him.

I'd consider her to be on the potential chopping block as well. Haha.

Someone needs to make a version of :stare: with a Citizen Kane style slow clap just for posts like this.

Also, next weeks minimalist preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bhcGiSlvqw

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 24, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty confident shes gone to find The League for help. Because you know, Ollies to proud/stupid/stoned to ask for it.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm not sure if Ra's al Ghul killing Slade, or Malcolm teaming up with Oliver would be cooler.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rocksicles posted:

I'm pretty confident shes gone to find The League for help. Because you know, Ollies to proud/stupid/stoned to ask for it.

Look, sometimes a man has to set his own goddamn fantasy football roster without anybodies help. How else do you win the Shiva Bowl?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Bad Moon posted:

Look, sometimes a man has to set his own goddamn fantasy football roster without anybodies help. How else do you win the Shiva Bowl?

Oliver already won the Shiva Bowl in season one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think help from Chalupa Batman would come in handy right about now

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I really want to see what kind of rig they made for the shots where Slade/Roy on Mirakuru grabs someone and throws them around like it's nothing. Slade on the freighter pulling back Ollie, Slade grabbing Sarah mid-jump and now Roy with some random punk. It's clearly a practical effect with a stuntman/woman and it's really selling just how powerful that Mirakuru poo poo makes you.

Losing Moira was a real gut punch. Once she revealed she knew about Ollie it was an obvious sign of doom but I totally expected Malcolm to come in and save his daughter and her mother. I wonder if anyone will remind Ollie they had Slade at their mercy before but handed him over to the cops instead of throwing him into a wood chipper.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

CeeJee posted:

I really want to see what kind of rig they made for the shots where Slade/Roy on Mirakuru grabs someone and throws them around like it's nothing. Slade on the freighter pulling back Ollie,

Amell stated there was no trick to him getting slammed into the boat.That he had the bruises to show for it, that he was actually getting slammed into the boat

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Wow, what an episode. I am glad that they finally redeemed Moira, though that should have told me that she was going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crunk Abortion posted:

Someone needs to make a version of :stare: with a Citizen Kane style slow clap just for posts like this.

Also, next weeks minimalist preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bhcGiSlvqw

So uhhh.. who is this?

:siren::siren::siren:SPOILER:siren::siren::siren:
http://imgur.com/Z52m2Md

• Locked thread