Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I'd be totally cool if SWORD shows up in the MCU/Agents of SHIELD as basically Stargate Command, and they're like "yeah we've been doing offworld exploration with stargates for years and we're launching the first earth spaceship made with Asgardian technology in like a week, we're calling it The Enterprise, see ya later" and everyone is just like WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I remember that lovely book.

That awesome book. Seriously, y'all Secret Warriors haters are just plain wrong. :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Genetic Toaster posted:

That awesome book. Seriously, y'all Secret Warriors haters are just plain wrong. :colbert:
I thought Lurdiak was talking about SHIELD, and that one was...not great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

redbackground posted:

I thought Lurdiak was talking about SHIELD, and that one was...not great.

The two dovetailed a lot, to the point where I would describe S.H.I.E.L.D. as a companion book. I wish they would publish that last issue and explain some poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In regards to Arrow tonight (that other comicbook based show that everyone isn't bitching about) I figured Moira was going to bite it but I thought they would save it to the end of the season. Seeing her die at the end was a huge blow and I am now looking forward to seeing Slade and Arrow really really go at it. Also I put money on the final person who has to die being one of the Lance sisters.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
A character suddenly announcing they've known the hero's secret identity all along is a pretty safe indicator they're about to take a dirt nap.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Also Conner or something, I don't know.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just caught up on SHIELD and yeah those three Cap 2 fallout episodes were really loving good. The last one with Blackout wasn't though, so they're not out of the fire yet.

What they did with Ward was really the best possible direction for that character. Spy Randy Orton.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm going to start catching up now, last night I watched the episode about the Asgardian staff (the post-Thor 2 one), which actually wasn't too bad. Peter MacNicol is pretty rad, though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Hakkesshu posted:

Just caught up on SHIELD and yeah those three Cap 2 fallout episodes were really loving good. The last one with Blackout wasn't though, so they're not out of the fire yet.

What they did with Ward was really the best possible direction for that character. Spy Randy Orton.

If you were going to build a double agent from the ground up, it'd look a lot like Grant Ward.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
As I noted in the TVIV, there's a meta level where Grant Ward's double agent act also extended to portraying himself as a boring character in a TV show. He fooled SHIELD and he fooled us viewers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

A character suddenly announcing they've known the hero's secret identity all along is a pretty safe indicator they're about to take a dirt nap.

Not on Arrow, since there's a new one of those every week.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hakkesshu posted:

IMO the Blackout stuff can be excused for being bad because it was there simply to get half the crew out of the base so the real plot (the Grant/Skye thing) could work. And that part of the episode was pretty drat good.

Poor Patton Oswalt. :(

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Was Mae referencing a known character at the end of the episode?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

LorneReams posted:

Was Mae referencing a known character at the end of the episode?

Maria Hill?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

I'm going to start catching up now, last night I watched the episode about the Asgardian staff (the post-Thor 2 one), which actually wasn't too bad. Peter MacNicol is pretty rad, though.
Hope you watched Mindy Project this week.

yes i watch mindy shut up

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WarLocke posted:

IMO the Blackout stuff can be excused for being bad because

That sounds more like Battered Wife syndrome than a TV critique. "They stank up the B plot so it wouldn't distract us from the A plot, they only do it because they love us! :( "

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DynamicSloth posted:

Like I said, I figured the character was going to die, just not so soon.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As I noted in the TVIV, there's a meta level where Grant Ward's double agent act also extended to portraying himself as a boring character in a TV show. He fooled SHIELD and he fooled us viewers.

WarLocke posted:

IMO the Blackout stuff can be excused for being bad because it was there simply to get half the crew out of the base so the real plot (the Grant/Skye thing) could work. And that part of the episode was pretty drat good.

This is kinda sad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madkal posted:

Like I said, I figured the character was going to die, just not so soon.

Yeah I thought after nothing happened at the press conference they were going to hold off on it for a while but whelp.

drat those last ten minutes or so were brutal but Slade basically signed his death warrent now so it's only a matter of time before Ollie or Ollie and Merlyn: The Arrow Bros. shut him up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I thought after nothing happened at the press conference they were going to hold off on it for a while but whelp.

drat those last ten minutes or so were brutal but Slade basically signed his death warrent now so it's only a matter of time before Ollie or Ollie and Merlyn: The Arrow Bros. shut him up.

I figured that they were saving Merlyn for next season but I have seen it mentioned in a few places that now that Slade has killed the mother of his kid, and emotionally scarred his kid beyond repair Merlyn is ripe for a return.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Aphrodite posted:

Not on Arrow, since there's a new one of those every week.

There's a difference between a character finding out the hero's secret identity (which opens up new storytelling avenues for that character) and a character saying they've known the whole time (or for a long time at least), it means the writers are done with the character, if they thought that character finding out the secret identity would open up new storytelling avenues it wouldn't have happened off screen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I keep seeing people say good things about Agents of SHIELD. Has the show actually turned around enough that people would recommend it?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

TwoPair posted:

So I keep seeing people say good things about Agents of SHIELD. Has the show actually turned around enough that people would recommend it?

The fallout from The Winter Soldier has changed the show a fair bit and the last few episodes have been a massive step-up in quality (although the B-plot in the last episode wasn't great).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They completely changed the premise of the show and one character (so far) has had a massive personality revamp.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

muscles like this? posted:

They completely changed the premise of the show and one character (so far) has had a massive personality revamp.

Also Patton Oswalt shows up!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

Also Patton Oswalt shows up!

But then Ward murders the hell out of him!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is that Sky?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

It's better but nowhere near the point that I would recommend the show as a whole. There's still a lot of kinks to work out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

zoux posted:

Is that Sky?

It's Ward. He's now a totally evil Hydra agent who keeps shooting people in the face. Literally in the face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Veotax posted:

It's Ward. He's now a totally evil Hydra agent who keeps shooting people in the face. Literally in the face.

Also literally everything about his character was a lie and pretty much everything he's done has been a coldly calculated move to gain their trust (saving Simmons) or deflect attention from himself (hooking up with May.) And its not a fake-out or triple agent thing as he's been shown on screen murdering multiple SHIELD agents as well as Victoria Hand and Eric Koenig.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Skye is pretty annoying, though cute, but she does often act very sensibly in most situations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TwoPair posted:

It's still basically the same show expect Ward is bad and they now bring in comic characters to quickly kill them off.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Max Brooks' vampires vs zombies comic Extinction Parade is another one coming to TV.
http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/legendary-tv-max-brooks-horror-comic-series-extinction-parade-tv/

I know nothing much about the books, but I do hope the main characters of the series are still Asian and it's still set in Malaysia.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

One of the new supporting cast members reveals he's the grandson of a Howling Commando.

They've also been doing a lot more name checking in the show. Kree, various Asguardian mythological things, Yakuza, and others have all been referenced. Admittedly in small ways but referenced nonetheless.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

notthegoatseguy posted:

One of the new supporting cast members reveals he's the grandson of a Howling Commando.

They've also been doing a lot more name checking in the show. Kree, various Asguardian mythological things, Yakuza, and others have all been referenced. Admittedly in small ways but referenced nonetheless.

When were the Yakuza referenced and how would that be a marvel name drop?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

notthegoatseguy posted:

Ok, haven't seen it yet, but I am just imaging that he's Dum Dum Dugan's grandkid.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok, haven't seen it yet, but I am just imaging that he's Dum Dum Dugan's grandkid.
Nah Dum Dum Dugan's grandkid is just going to be Neil Mcdonough again and nothing will be different.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

XboxPants posted:

When were the Yakuza referenced and how would that be a marvel name drop?

When Coulsob on is on his manhunt in Muncie, his partner says their suspect's family has ties to Yakuza.

Yakuza have, at times, played roles in Marvel crime and Daredevil stories. Also Wolverine, but obviously those rights are with Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

notthegoatseguy posted:

When Coulsob on is on his manhunt in Muncie, his partner says their suspect's family has ties to Yakuza.

Yakuza have, at times, played roles in Marvel crime and Daredevil stories. Also Wolverine, but obviously those rights are with Fox.

The Yakuza are also real. If the Mafia appeared in AoS it wouldn't be a Marvel namedrop.