Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kanos posted:

Nope, extinction is based on how many times you kill each enemy.

Extinction is pretty much the worst mechanic. Good luck farming for that rare 1% drop weapon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Extinction is pretty much the worst mechanic. Good luck farming for that rare 1% drop weapon!

If you are farming a Dark Souls game, you are probably playing it wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

If you are farming a Dark Souls game, you are probably playing it wrong.

Um, no? Why would wanting more weapons to use be a wrong thing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Brasseye posted:

I thought they stopped spawning eventually if they kept killing you, not the other way round? Thats what it felt like in the shaky early stages of my first play through. Either way I didnt find it to be a problem, you dont need to grind in this game.

It works both ways. If an enemy kills you about 5 times, it despawns, or if you kill it around 10-15 times it despawns. The only time you'll ever see it happen is if you're really struggling with a specific encounter or you're farming for a rare drop.

Mazed posted:

Deprived is actually a really drat good idea for anyone who hasn't made up their mind. SL1, super easy to re-customize when you get the items and feel like doing so, and if you played any other Souls game you can handle the challenge.

To add to this, Explorer is the non-"challenge mode" version of Deprived. It's better (or at worst identical) for a generalist/undecided build and starts you with a bunch of items. I suggest picking Explorer over Deprived in every situation unless you're going for a speedrun (Deprived can powerstance maces with fewer souls spent than Explorer) because the "challenge" of Deprived is over as soon as you can equip a weapon and stop using your fists, and you'll miss out on the cool things Explorer starts with.

Though it's worth noting that there's no such thing as min-maxing your build through class selection because Soul Level is completely irrelevant in DS2. Pick whatever class you want to play and don't worry about min-maxed stats.

e: I'll go ahead and throw this out there because I remember the crazy confusion of the DS2 thread during the first week of Console release, if anyone playing the PC version has questions that they want answers to, feel free to hit me up on Steam. I know the game like the back of my hand at this point and I know how easy it's going to be for someone to look over your post when this thread is getting hundreds of posts an hour.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 24, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Samopsa posted:

You can start as Deprived, but you'll be human at the start; not hollowed. So for the best experience, jump off a cliff as your first action. The result will surprise you and make you laugh, and confirm that this is a true dark souls game.

I know how I'm starting my sorcerer run!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

Has an ultra-rare-drop weapon ever been worth the trouble to get it in Dark Souls? (Apart from Black Knight equipment, but the first batch of those guys only lasted for one kill anyway)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Somfin posted:

Has an ultra-rare-drop weapon ever been worth the trouble to get it in Dark Souls? (Apart from Black Knight equipment, but the first batch of those guys only lasted for one kill anyway)

Yes, because it's a weapon you don't have. How is this hard to understand.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Welp, I meant "if you have to grind", but no I can see what you mean now.

It sucks a bit, but it really isn't any different than being unable to grind black knights for black knight gear. Completionists are probably going to be annoyed regardless.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

You can always use a Bonfire Ascetic to reset the enemies. There was nothing I really wanted that I could get within 0-1 uses of an ascetic, though I haven't tried to get items from npc phantoms yet.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Reading the other thread, I never really understood what ascetics did. They make the area the next level of difficulty up and respawn all the enemies?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ignimbrite posted:

Reading the other thread, I never really understood what ascetics did. They make the area the next level of difficulty up and respawn all the enemies?

Yup. Also this is permanent and carries over to all NG+ levels. What is done cannot be undone.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ignimbrite posted:

Exactly. You need them for farming black phantoms for rare equipment and they only spawn once on every NG+

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So you can increase the difficulty and there is no way to undo this. That's interesting. And potentially problematic.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mindblast posted:

So you can increase the difficulty and there is no way to undo this. That's interesting. And potentially problematic.

You need to defeat the boss before you can raise the difficulty in an area using an ascetic, so chances are you won't be doing it unless you're ready for it. It's very difficult to do without realising.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
At how many times will Ascetic zones cap out? Is it still posible to use them after that to infinitely respawn then at max level or are items not obtained then gone forever?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Asehujiko posted:

At how many times will Ascetic zones cap out? Is it still posible to use them after that to infinitely respawn then at max level or are items not obtained then gone forever?

Intensity 8 is the point where it stops getting harder. You can burn As many as you want!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

You can burn ascetics infinitely. There's a counter for bonfire intensity that'll cap at 99, but you can still use ascetics after that.
The increased difficulty will cap after 7 ascetics though.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I woke up at 5:30 this morning to play before class. Imagine my surprise when Steam said the game ain't even unlocking for another 12 hours. What's the deal with that?
The deal is that you misread the unlock time, apparently.

quote:

(And why do I feel like this late unlock is a sign that the developer is scrambling to finish the game?)
Because you're dumb. First of all it's not unlocking late, it's unlocking a day early. Second, I'm assuming you mean finishing the PC port because the game came out on consoles over a month ago - it's been available for pre-load for at least a couple of days now. It's finished and has been for some time.

Stringbean posted:

Anyways, totally stoked for tonight - Have no idea what to roll though. Might just Strength build it, maybe I'll throw some faith in there too. But I'm also really interested in a dex/ magic build. Ugh.
People will tell you that dex weapons suck and aren't worth using; they're exaggerating. Dex weapons are totally viable for PvE and are fun as hell. Why swing a club around like an oaf when you can murder things with style? :smuggo:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh neat, the PC manual is available from the Steam library. Time to check out the mouse and keyboard controls.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Its incredibly fun to swing a big clubaround like an oaf! But I did that on xbox so I think itll probably be dex weapons for me this time, I will use that winged spear that you pick up somewhere.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
So what's the best way to get a PS3 controller working on a PC nowadays? MotioninJoy seems kinda sketchy.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

verybad posted:

So what's the best way to get a PS3 controller working on a PC nowadays? MotioninJoy seems kinda sketchy.

Motioninjoy is utter poo poo, use BetterDS3.

My DS3 would unsync all the time using motioninjoy, made trying to play MGR an absolute pain in the rear end until I found betterds3, which fixed that problem completely. Also no ads.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Somfin posted:

Yes because I want certain armor types and weapon types for my character build, especially if I'm cosplaying as a character from another media outlet.
Also gently caress From for only limiting the Shadow Set to the dudes in the Wharf boss fight NG+ onwards

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ignimbrite posted:

Motioninjoy is utter poo poo, use BetterDS3.

My DS3 would unsync all the time using motioninjoy, made trying to play MGR an absolute pain in the rear end until I found betterds3, which fixed that problem completely. Also no ads.

Better DS3 is also poo poo since it uses the drivers from motioninjoy.

Use this instead: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller You don't need to use a configuration tool or anything.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ekster posted:

I preordered from simplycdkeys a couple of weeks ago for the first time but I haven't gotten my key yet. Is that normal? When can I expect to get it?

I got my key a few minutes ago, so they're still sending them out.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
"Those" sites usually send their keys the moment the game launches.

No preloading for me. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I posted this in the console thread a little while ago, but thought it might amuse here...

On the fourteenth day of the countdown my Sunbro brought to me
Fourteen copies of Dark Souls II,
Thirteen basilisks a-cursing,
Twelve clams a-spearing,
Eleven Pinwheels dieing,
Ten catbros hunting,
Nine skeletons a-spinning,
Eight bonfires burning,
Seven Serpents Lieing,
Six Wraiths invading,
Five so-oul spears,
Four Lord soul fragments,
Three rolling kitties,
Two flaming hollows,
And a raven in an arch tree

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Question on respeccing/starting stats:

If you start as something other than a Deprived and you reset, does it bring you to your starting soul level or SL1? I get a bit obsesed with min-maxing and I'm trying to figure out which would be more advantageous long-term.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Brings you back to the base SL of the class, unfortunately. So if you're a Knight then respeccing will give you a Knight's stats to spec 'up' from.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

motherbox posted:

Question on respeccing/starting stats:

If you start as something other than a Deprived and you reset, does it bring you to your starting soul level or SL1? I get a bit obsesed with min-maxing and I'm trying to figure out which would be more advantageous long-term.

It has a screen that shows your stats at the base level (all 6) and you just reallocate the souls in that screen.
EDIT: I misread that as starting as a Deprived, so yeah all your stats on that screen will be your base stats.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 24, 2014

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

neetengie posted:

It has a screen that shows your stats at the base level (all 6) and you just reallocate the souls in that screen.
If you start as something other than deprived though you just respec to that classes starting SL, with those points assigned.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Is this game going to work with any PC controller? Or are they pulling the same bullshit that GTAIV did, where it only really works with a 360 controller?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stringbean posted:

Is this game going to work with any PC controller? Or are they pulling the same bullshit that GTAIV did, where it only really works with a 360 controller?

Considering the wired 360 controller is probably the best one for the PC I'd think its the latter.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Anyone know if the game has the option for fullscreen windowed mode?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

havenwaters posted:

Better DS3 is also poo poo since it uses the drivers from motioninjoy.

Use this instead: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller You don't need to use a configuration tool or anything.

Alright this poo poo blew up my computer. I installed it. Get some error saying it wasn't fully installed. So I uninstall DS3tool. Uninstall this wrapper thing. Reinstall it and it hangs and makes chrome unresponsive. Task Manager won't show up and alt ctrl del froze it. Now when I reboot it hangs on the 'welcome' spinning screen unless I go safe mode.

e: Safe mode -> uninstall driver -> reboots fine -> try to reinstall -> freezes.

How is this better than MotionJoy now?

e2: Finally reboot after installing it without it freezing my PC and it still doesn't work.

Kild fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 24, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
So, if I want to stream a blind playthrough, what's the best service to use? I have things set up to stream through Twitch already, but some people don't like that site for lag/quality reasons. Should I just record chunks and upload to YouTube like KayPlays did with Dark Souls?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

EightBit posted:

So, if I want to stream a blind playthrough, what's the best service to use? I have things set up to stream through Twitch already, but some people don't like that site for lag/quality reasons. Should I just record chunks and upload to YouTube like KayPlays did with Dark Souls?

Use OBS and stream with Hitbox.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Somfin posted:

Probably, else people wouldn't have spent so much time farming for things like the Balder Side Sword or Man Serpent Greatsword.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kild posted:

Alright this poo poo blew up my computer. I installed it. Get some error saying it wasn't fully installed. So I uninstall DS3tool. Uninstall this wrapper thing. Reinstall it and it hangs and makes chrome unresponsive. Task Manager won't show up and alt ctrl del froze it. Now when I reboot it hangs on the 'welcome' spinning screen unless I go safe mode.

e: Safe mode -> uninstall driver -> reboots fine -> try to reinstall -> freezes.

How is this better than MotionJoy now?

e2: Finally reboot after installing it without it freezing my PC and it still doesn't work.

Odd. It's been installed on both my laptop and desktop without issue. Meanwhile motioninjoy has destroyed the bluetooth drivers on two different laptops I've used and at one point decided to corrupt some important .sys file for the 360 pad/usb devices in general (causing windows 7 to bluescreen on boot every once in awhile). Also it phoned home.

Well that sucks then. All it's supposed to do is modify the drivers installed for the ps3 gamepad to make your computer think the ps3 pad is a 360 controller. Did you have motion in joy installed when setting the xinput wrapper up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Raygereio posted:

You can burn ascetics infinitely. There's a counter for bonfire intensity that'll cap at 99, but you can still use ascetics after that.
The increased difficulty will cap after 7 ascetics though.

To add on to the bonfire ascetic chat without being spoiler-y, by the end of the game there are multiple sources of ascetics (treasure chests and enemy drops) that are refreshed when you burn an ascetic - they're a renewable resource. Because of this mechanic, even with extinction you can't screw yourself out of any item, so don't worry about that.