Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a name for the guitar chord that is basically F, but you play the top e open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Is there a name for the guitar chord that is basically F, but you play the top e open?

C-aug/F ?

C-Aug is what you describe, except with the bottom E open too, so if you change the bass note to an F, you get that /F on there.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Do you mean

e 0
b 1
g 2
d 3
a 3
e 1

That is Fmaj7

Or do you mean

e 1
b 1
g 2
d 3
a 3
e 0

That is F/E

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

dokmo posted:

Do you mean

e 0
b 1
g 2
d 3
a 3
e 1

That is Fmaj7

I do! thank s :tipshat:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I do! thank s :tipshat:

Chord Namer, here, will get you the name for everything:
http://jguitar.com/chordname?string5=0&string4=1&string3=2&string2=3&string1=3&string0=1

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

This is great, I love you. Googling 'chord like F but you don't play F on the top string' and variations thereof is remarkably useless. I've been playing guitar for, er, 26 years, so I should probablyhave known Fmaj7 (although in my defence I never used a chord book while learning).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

dokmo posted:

Do you mean

e 0
b 1
g 2
d 3
a 3
e 1

That is Fmaj7

I'm trying to visualize how on earth the fingering goes on this. Do you use your thumb on the low e string?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
"It's really important that Manchester United DOESN'T/DON'T concede next game."

which one is correct?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

the posted:

which one is correct?
The former for American English, the latter for British English.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm trying to visualize how on earth the fingering goes on this. Do you use your thumb on the low e string?

Yeah exactly this. I never barre F on the first fret anyway and the song I just tabbed for UG only sounds right with the top string open.

the posted:

which one is correct?

"don't" is the correct way, although Americans tend to use "doesn't", which is wrong.

edit: rear end in a top hat!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why is any way the correct way?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's a widely recognized difference between UK and US english: collective nouns (like a band, a team, a group) and their effect on conjugation ("Soft Machine were formed in Canterbury" vs "Soft Machine was formed in Canterbury").

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

alnilam posted:

It's a widely recognized difference between UK and US english: collective nouns (like a band, a team, a group) and their effect on conjugation ("Soft Machine were formed in Canterbury" vs "Soft Machine was formed in Canterbury").

Exactly. One is correct, the other is not. :tipshat:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

alnilam posted:

"Soft Machine formed in Canterbury"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Well sure, when you put it in the active voice, it works in either dialect :argh:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The United Kingdom are bad, whereas the United States is good.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I volunteer at a kid's therapy place, and a lot of the kids have problems vocalizing words and use sign language instead. I would like to learn some sign language to better communicate, but I'm not sure what/how to learn. What's the difference between ASl and PSE? And there's SEE too? What the hell!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't know much about cars, but I ended up with a dead battery for the first time in my life tonight and needed a jump. I got my girlfriend to bring her car over and help. I know that red goes to red on both cars, black goes to black on the good car and to bare metal on the bad car. After everything is connected you start the good car, let it run for a couple minutes, then start the bad one.

I did all that, but my car wouldn't start. So I had her turn off her car and I noticed that my lights came on. I figured I needed to do it the right way though, so had her turn her car back on. That made my lights go off and I couldn't start the car. So she turned her car off again and my lights came back on. I decided to try to start my car with hers off and it worked. I disconnected everything and then she started her car up fine.

Why did this happen? Could anything bad have happened doing it that way?

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't know much about cars, but I ended up with a dead battery for the first time in my life tonight and needed a jump. I got my girlfriend to bring her car over and help. I know that red goes to red on both cars, black goes to black on the good car and to bare metal on the bad car. After everything is connected you start the good car, let it run for a couple minutes, then start the bad one.

I did all that, but my car wouldn't start. So I had her turn off her car and I noticed that my lights came on. I figured I needed to do it the right way though, so had her turn her car back on. That made my lights go off and I couldn't start the car. So she turned her car off again and my lights came back on. I decided to try to start my car with hers off and it worked. I disconnected everything and then she started her car up fine.

Why did this happen? Could anything bad have happened doing it that way?

Probably nothing bad happened.

What types of cars do you and your girlfriend drive?

I'm not a huge car guy, but a quick guess is that your girlfriend's car was putting out more electricity than your car was used to, so that probably tripped the fuses in your car, causing your car to shut off the lights before anything really bad happened. If I had to guess, I'd wager that your girlfriend probably drives a big old gas guzzler, but you drive a smaller, more fuel efficient car.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 24, 2014

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
1. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. After I installed irfanview and set image associations to it, the folders where all of the pictures were tiled and showed a little thumbnail of the picture before I opened it stopped doing that. Now the pictures are all just generic icons. I associated jpg/jpegs back to windows photo gallery but it didn't fix things. How can I get it back to the way it used to be?

2. Who made this lamp? What model is it? I'm ultimately seeking whatever technical details are available on it. It's a germicidal UV lamp (edit: I realized right after posting that it might be a random fluorescent lamp that got repurposed as a germicidal lamp). It has a G15T8-type fluorescent bulb in it. I have no idea how old it is but I would not be surprised if it was 10 or even 20 years old. The only measurements I thought to take of it were of the base which is 9.5"x6.5". The only external marking on it is an Underwriter's Laboratory mark which says:
PORTABLE LAMP
ISSUE G-2268
E-20677 120V-60 CYS

I tried to look it up in the UL database but nothing came up.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 24, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It seems that in the US when people talk about drugs (prescribed and otc) they tend to use brand names of the drugs, compared to the UK where people use the nonproprietary name.

Is this due to the fact companies in the US are allowed advertise specific drugs in the US or are there other reasons?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Geokinesis posted:

Is this due to the fact companies in the US are allowed advertise specific drugs in the US or are there other reasons?

Yeah that's pretty much it. They're brands to us. Acetaminophen? What's that? Oh you mean Tylenol. Also because of patent law, only the brand name of a drug that's on the market will be used for a solid 7 years before a generic becomes available, so asking for it by the chemical name would confuse pretty much everyone, since they only know it by the brand name. Once the patent finally expires and generics are released, you just keep using the brand name because it's what you're used to.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it. They're brands to us. Acetaminophen? What's that? Oh you mean Tylenol. Also because of patent law, only the brand name of a drug that's on the market will be used for a solid 7 years before a generic becomes available, so asking for it by the chemical name would confuse pretty much everyone, since they only know it by the brand name. Once the patent finally expires and generics are released, you just keep using the brand name because it's what you're used to.

Ah, thanks.

fe:
Acetaminophen? What's that? Oh you mean Paracetamol.
Use the INN :argh:

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
I don't know if this is the right place for this, if there's a "find old pictures" thread I'll happily take directions!

In one of the first awful tattoo megathreads there was a picture on one of the first pages of this guy wearing sunglasses and (I think) holding a gun, bursting through a door and he had a tattoo of himself in the same pose tattooed on himself. I think the chap in question was asian or Latin. I've been looking for this picture for ages but have pretty much given up. I'm pretty sure it was either in the first post or the first page of one of the first tattoo megathreads but when I went to look the links are dead. Any help appreciated. :)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Chakattack! posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this, if there's a "find old pictures" thread I'll happily take directions!

In one of the first awful tattoo megathreads there was a picture on one of the first pages of this guy wearing sunglasses and (I think) holding a gun, bursting through a door and he had a tattoo of himself in the same pose tattooed on himself. I think the chap in question was asian or Latin. I've been looking for this picture for ages but have pretty much given up. I'm pretty sure it was either in the first post or the first page of one of the first tattoo megathreads but when I went to look the links are dead. Any help appreciated. :)

Honestly I think you'll have better luck on reddit in /r/tipofmytongue

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I got pulled over this morning for being stupid and not realizing my lane had turned into a right turn only lane until too late and was written up for 'driving on a lained roadway'. I've got a mostly clean driving record (5 over from a few years ago is it) and there's no cost on the ticket but I have to call in. I know there's no definitive answer, but is this a type of situation where showing up to court and explaining things and offering to take a class would help get the points reduced?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've got a weird problem on my work PC that I don't want/feel the need to bother our IT guy with:

Windows 7 Enterprise w/ SP1 running Office 2013.

My boss was laid off a few weeks ago. I had two recurring meetings a week that he scheduled that don't exist anymore, but they won't stay deleted from Outlook.

I've gone into the calendar and done both of these:
1) Right-clicked on the meeting, hovered over "delete," and then when the expanded menu pops up chose "Do not send a response" under the Series heading, figuring it would delete the entire series.

2)Done the same as above, but with the "Decline" option.

After doing one or the other, it looks like the meetings are removed from my calendar. I can scroll ahead several weeks and they don't appear, yet they always come back the next week.

Is this doomed to keep happening because maybe his Exchange account is possibly still active and therefore constantly "re-scheduling" these meetings I've deleted?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I got pulled over this morning for being stupid and not realizing my lane had turned into a right turn only lane until too late and was written up for 'driving on a lained roadway'. I've got a mostly clean driving record (5 over from a few years ago is it) and there's no cost on the ticket but I have to call in. I know there's no definitive answer, but is this a type of situation where showing up to court and explaining things and offering to take a class would help get the points reduced?

Yes. This is an easy question because everywhere in the world has the same laws and court procedures.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Loopyface posted:

Yes. This is an easy question because everywhere in the world has the same laws and court procedures.

Whoops, thought I had it in there. Denver, Colorado.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Whoops, thought I had it in there. Denver, Colorado.

Denver is the WORST about lanes suddenly turning into turn-only lanes. It's an epidemic. I've never seen anything like it in any city I've lived in.

Also the traffic light timing is abominable.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Denver is the WORST about lanes suddenly turning into turn-only lanes. It's an epidemic. I've never seen anything like it in any city I've lived in.

Also the traffic light timing is abominable.

It's seriously horrible. If you're familiar with the area, Hamden at Colorado blvd. You go up a hill with three lanes, then once you're on the downside, with no signs to give you notice, it turns into turn-only, but just past the intersection it's still a merge lane with an arrow pointing left. Still my fault, just a really stupid setup.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's seriously horrible. If you're familiar with the area, Hamden at Colorado blvd. You go up a hill with three lanes, then once you're on the downside, with no signs to give you notice, it turns into turn-only, but just past the intersection it's still a merge lane with an arrow pointing left. Still my fault, just a really stupid setup.

I mostly hang out in Centennial so I know where you're talking about but not immediately familiar with it. But yeah, that poo poo's all over.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've got a weird problem on my work PC that I don't want/feel the need to bother our IT guy with:

Windows 7 Enterprise w/ SP1 running Office 2013.

My boss was laid off a few weeks ago. I had two recurring meetings a week that he scheduled that don't exist anymore, but they won't stay deleted from Outlook.

I've gone into the calendar and done both of these:
1) Right-clicked on the meeting, hovered over "delete," and then when the expanded menu pops up chose "Do not send a response" under the Series heading, figuring it would delete the entire series.

2)Done the same as above, but with the "Decline" option.

After doing one or the other, it looks like the meetings are removed from my calendar. I can scroll ahead several weeks and they don't appear, yet they always come back the next week.

Is this doomed to keep happening because maybe his Exchange account is possibly still active and therefore constantly "re-scheduling" these meetings I've deleted?

Maybe try this. Go to your calendar and double click the appointment. It should prompt you if you want to open the single occurrence or the series. Choose series and say OK.

When the appointment opens, there should be a button at the top of the screen marked "Recurrence". You should be able to click that button. Then at the bottom of that screen, there is another button marked "remove recurrence". Click that, and then delete the meeting. That should do it.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I know little about cars. I'm going to change my own oil in a few days and found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW7V50/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this motor oil that I can just pour into my engine? Its in the motor oil section so I imagine so but I want to make 100% sure so I don't gently caress up my car. :shobon: If not, how is it used?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I know little about cars. I'm going to change my own oil in a few days and found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW7V50/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this motor oil that I can just pour into my engine? Its in the motor oil section so I imagine so but I want to make 100% sure so I don't gently caress up my car. :shobon: If not, how is it used?

Oh man. No.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

Oh man. No.

Oh cmon live a little. What's the worst that could happen.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

No one does their own oil now. It costs me <$20 at the gas station service center by my work and you can find similar deals everywhere.

They'll tell you your car is falling apart and quote you $800 of work but just ignore it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Can anyone explain the name of this dog food? Because it makes no sense to me and seems stupid and ungrammatical

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Can anyone explain the name of this dog food? Because it makes no sense to me and seems stupid and ungrammatical

It doesn't have to make sense. It's marketed to people who will buy premium food for an animal that eats its own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Buy motor oil instead. Motor oil is what you use to replace motor oil when you are changing your motor oil.

First look in your manual and see what kind of oil your car is supposed to use (5w30, 0w30, 10w40, etc.) and then buy the cheap brand at your local auto parts store. But not if it's Castrol or any other brand made by BP.

This stuff by Lucas is a good thing to add to the motor oil though:
http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10001-H...s+oil+treatment

c0ldfuse posted:

No one does their own oil now. It costs me <$20 at the gas station service center by my work and you can find similar deals everywhere.

They'll tell you your car is falling apart and quote you $800 of work but just ignore it.

This is true. JiffyLubes and garages buy oil in large volumes so it's usually as cheap, if not cheaper, to have them do it professionally. But along the same lines as c0ldfuse YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUSHED so ignore them when they tell that you absolutely, immediately do.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 24, 2014