Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Ewar Woowar posted:

This isn't some first round League Cup match, this is a game that could help you win the title. Fielding a weakened side would be such a pathetic thing to do given the resources Chelsea have.

Mourinho mind games his own fans into thinking he's a far better manager than he is.

While my initial post was a joke, I think focusing on the CL is the better option. I wonder how other supporters would feel in the same situation that Chelsea happen to be in. Pretty easy to lambaste an exhausted team when you aren't in a comparable situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
City will probably drop points to Everton or Palace, Liverpool will end up inexplicably losing to Newcastle. Chelsea are still in it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

hadji murad posted:

Pretty easy to lambaste an exhausted team when you aren't in a comparable situation.

Easy and hell, probably delicious too

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The double seems pretty far fetched since that's winning 5 games in a row with our shortcomings.

Liverpool seem certainly like the winners after a Fairytale season which I'm happy for because of Brendan and what he's done for us.

If we had a top quality striker, a fit Cech and Hazard I'd want us to go for both but we aren't there so I'd like to see us prioritize the CL.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Jose can say whatever he wants. I don't think his 'mind games' will really affect either team. Liverpool v. Chelsea will still be an 'unstoppable force meets unmovable object' contest that will probably involve a red card, Stevie G scoring a penalty, and Mourinho throwing a tantrum.

On an unrelated note: it looks like Arsenal might get a new signing before the end of the season. https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/458682563641372672/photo/1. Such a great player when he's fit. I hope he doesn't break immediately.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

J Hume posted:

On an unrelated note: it looks like Arsenal might get a new signing before the end of the season. https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/458682563641372672/photo/1. Such a great player when he's fit. I hope he doesn't break immediately.
I saw highlights of the reserve game he played. He looked alright and had one really phwoar volley. Also reserve games seem to be absolutely mental and no one plays any defense.

Diaby's career is such a shame. He could have been a real player if it wasn't for his injuries.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Chelsea will do their fellow Champions League winners Liverpool a favour and hand us the league, we'll step aside and let them progress when we meet in the quarters next year. Two honourable clubs making a gentlemens agreement, a real tidy bit of business.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Hoops posted:

Chelsea will do their fellow Champions League winners Liverpool a favour and hand us the league, we'll step aside and let them progress when we meet in the quarters next year. Two honourable clubs making a gentlemens agreement, a real tidy bit of business.

liverpool are going in pot 3 next year, they're not getting out of their group

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Hoops posted:

Very nice and then we gently caress them Mourinho style :twisted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ayb posted:

This is a pretty dumb thing to say considering this Liverpool team can beat any team on their day

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ayb posted:

Not bothered about this. Just looking forward to some tasty European nights again :)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ayb posted:

Manchester United got out of their group this year. I think Liverpool will be fine

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
We all thought Spurs would get destroyed in the CL, and then they ended up topping their group over the previous champions.

^^^United were in pot 1

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ravel posted:

We all thought Spurs would get destroyed in the CL, and then they ended up topping their group over the previous champions.

^^^United were in pot 1

Rodgers is no 'Arry

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Ravel posted:

^^^United were in pot 1

With Moyes in charge lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Moyes did decently in the CL.

I hope he unleashes a scathing tell-all ripping into everyone in the toxic Manchester United establishment and also leaks all of Man-U's passwords to hackers and does something from Star Wars.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

blue footed boobie posted:

I saw highlights of the reserve game he played. He looked alright and had one really phwoar volley. Also reserve games seem to be absolutely mental and no one plays any defense.

Diaby's career is such a shame. He could have been a real player if it wasn't for his injuries.

love him for this haha, too bad about the scoreline though

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Not 100% EPL-related, but here's an interesting article about tactics from a player's perspective:
http://deadspin.com/why-soccer-tactics-matter-a-player-explains-1566582214

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

Jose posted:

This is a pretty dumb thing to say considering this Liverpool team can beat any team on their day

Also it's not as if they're not going to strengthen in the summer. It depends on the draw but I think they have a good chance.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Any team can beat any team on their day

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Charlotte Hornets posted:

love him for this haha, too bad about the scoreline though

Was this the game where Newcastle came storming back for the draw? Because that was the best.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Was this the game where Newcastle came storming back for the draw? Because that was the best.

Even Tiote scored lol

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

J Hume posted:

Not 100% EPL-related, but here's an interesting article about tactics from a player's perspective:
http://deadspin.com/why-soccer-tactics-matter-a-player-explains-1566582214

quote:

In recent years, we've gushed over the development of conservative 11-men-behind-the-ball approaches, the growth of tiki-taka and passenaccio, the rise of the mythical 4-2-3-1, and the spread of gegenpressing and counterattacking.

Lost me after the second sentence.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It was. That game was absolutely mental.

WRT Liverpool, I wouldn't be surprised if they under perform next year. It just seems like so many things came together for them this year, and next year they'll have to deal with more games and a Stevie G who's accomplished everything in his career.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JHHeKvyYsI

:qq:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jose posted:

Even Tiote scored lol

I thought he usually scores 1 or 2 amazing goals a season.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought he usually scores 1 or 2 amazing goals a season.

Its the only goal he's scored for Newcastle

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It was. That game was absolutely mental.

WRT Liverpool, I wouldn't be surprised if they under perform next year. It just seems like so many things came together for them this year, and next year they'll have to deal with more games and a Stevie G who's accomplished everything in his career.

It'll all be down to what happens in the summer w/r/t transfers and what happens to Suarez, etc. We could be competing in the top for a while or fall back to 6th-8th mediocrity a la Lille.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Jose posted:

Its the only goal he's scored for Newcastle

He should have had one against Chelsea.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Had genuinely forgotten what he looked like.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Eric Cantonese posted:

He should have had one against Chelsea.

Didn't he have one wrongly disallowed against City

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Ravel posted:

Didn't he have one wrongly disallowed against City

Whoops. That's the one I was thinking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3y3VRZdw8w

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd like this weekend to be the one where Newcastle remember to stop being poo poo for once and Tiote to get another goal

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

I agree really. Suarez is at his peak and won't be scoring like this forever, and frankly he's irreplaceable. Success hopefully breeds success so Liverpool can strengthen their foundations, but I don't see many titles at all in the future. We're at the beginning of the Man City era with cameos by Chelsea, Stadium Money Arsenal and (let's be honest) still United. So if Liverpool can nick one title before that it will be unbelievable, it won't surprise me if they struggle to keep up after that. Don't see them getting consistently shut out of the CL though.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The big test for Liverpool will be whether they can qualify for the Champions League in consecutive seasons. Rodgers can set up tactically well with a refreshed team that's only playing once a week, but it remains to be seen if he can consistently get the best out of them with a CL campaign thrown in there.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
If we win the title this season, the next couple of seasons are basically going to be playing with house money. We've no right to expect titles and winning it they way we've played would be amazing.

We'd still be in a scrap for fourth next year with the additional commitments, but it basically wouldn't matter.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

tarbrush posted:

If we win the title this season, the next couple of seasons are basically going to be playing with house money. We've no right to expect titles and winning it they way we've played would be amazing.

With amazing attacking footbal and an insanely good front 3?

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
I work with a few reds who are desperate for City to win the league because of the Liverpool factor, so i'm in this weird mindset now where the title going to Merseyside as opposed to London wouldn't bother me that much because of how much the idea seems to be pissing off the reds in the city. That and well, because gently caress Mourinho.

TheGoatFeeder fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 24, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hoops posted:

I agree really. Suarez is at his peak and won't be scoring like this forever, and frankly he's irreplaceable. Success hopefully breeds success so Liverpool can strengthen their foundations, but I don't see many titles at all in the future. We're at the beginning of the Man City era with cameos by Chelsea, Stadium Money Arsenal and (let's be honest) still United. So if Liverpool can nick one title before that it will be unbelievable, it won't surprise me if they struggle to keep up after that. Don't see them getting consistently shut out of the CL though.

Yeah they're obviously a fantastic side who will be competing for the top spots, but I just get the impression that this was a year where Liverpool caught lightning in a bottle. The coming seasons are going to be mental, imo. Everyone seems to have a ton of money all of a sudden and you have to assume City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, and Liverpool will bolster their ranks to solidify their CL spots.

Spurs will hire Moyes and be dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ramires has accepted his ban for four games.

• Locked thread