Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mortimer posted:

I would be very very surprised if it did (local coop on a PC is super rare), but considering it's in the game to begin with the answer is probably.

Yeah I mean if it's a straight port I don't see why it wouldn't have splitscreen if the console version does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

5er posted:

Bigtime change. Another nice change too is you can issue your subordinates Empires-like orders.

Oh my god why do I not have XL already? Oh, right, no PS3 or PS4. :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Oh my god why do I not have XL already? Oh, right, no PS3 or PS4. :(

Koei doesn't give a poo poo about microsoft consoles and never will fyi

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Koei Japan doesn't give a poo poo about microsoft consoles and never will fyi

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mortimer posted:

I still think it was weird that they put 5 on XBOX, but 5 Empires on 360.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

3 2 1 gently caress it gonna buy XL on the ps3 because I am very impatient

Here's to hoping the steam edition doesn't have a billion more features :smithicide:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mortimer posted:

I know that. I just didn't learn it until well after I had already bought my 360.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Japanese companies won't give a poo poo about microsoft consoles and never will fyi

I feel like this is a little more accurate. It's a sign of bad things over there if the 360/One outperforms a system.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TARDISman posted:

I feel like this is a little more accurate. It's a sign of bad things over there if the 360/One outperforms a system.

I wouldn't worry about that, last week the Vita TV sold 4x more than the 360. The PSP sold like 8x more.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

It's been a couple pages so I'm going to reiterate- folks somewhat new to the franchise and somewhat baffled but still intrigued with the actual story going on, get yourself to YouTube and look up English-subtitled episodes of "Three Kingdoms 2010." Samurai Sanders, thanks in the first place, an earlier post in this thread about the show is where I learned about it.

It also doesn't hurt to just pull up the key battles / historical figures involved on Wikipedia, as most of the articles pretty reasonably handle dividing the actual events from the embellishments of the 'Three Kingdoms' dramatic fictionalization that the games are based off of.

I hopefully am not surprising or disappointing anyone when I state that Cao Cao never actually shot blizzards from his cock in order to conquer China.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Red Cliff is also a great film about Chi Bi, one of the major battles, try and get the original version rather than the US theatrical edit, though, even if it is four hours long.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

When you're dealing with a history as heavily dramatized as The Three Kingdoms, there's no real 'correct' source. Like, obviously if you want actual history then you should seek that out, but if you want the dramatized version then you can check out a variety of sources to see what appeals to you most. The 2010 series is very good, mind, but it's not the only thing that exists. There's comics, cartoons, other live-action shows, plays, movies, whatever. Give the 2010 series a look, and if it doesn't appeal to you, move onto something else.

For instance, that series where everyone is a tiny Gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUWDRdywoA

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

5er posted:

I hopefully am not surprising or disappointing anyone when I state that Cao Cao never actually shot blizzards from his cock in order to conquer China.

No matter what he's doing, you kind of can't go wrong with the guy though. It's just one small scene, but I never get tired of seeing it. :allears:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

Like, obviously if you want actual history then you should seek that out,
And even then, I qualify that in my head myself since there's multiple versions of 'the actual history' anyway.

For example, Chen Shou's Records of the Three Kingdoms is the sometimes oft-cited example, but the circumstances do suggest a leaning towards Wei (it was commissioned by Jin four years after the fall of Wu and the end of the Three Kingdoms period, and the Mandate of Heaven had to run from Han through Wei before it could be passed on to Jin), and as a former Shu official he essentially put together the Shu side of things (as they didn't have official histories like Wei and Wu) and favored it over Wu, so its main value to me is that it's the closest to a contemporary history; Pei Songzhi would in the 400s compile and edit it with his own sources (some of which Chen Shou didn't use) and commentary into his own Annotations to (the) Records of the Three Kingdoms.

AAAAAGH trollface the ultimate Cao Cao scene :swoon:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yardbomb posted:

No matter what he's doing, you kind of can't go wrong with the guy though. It's just one small scene, but I never get tired of seeing it. :allears:

That's about everyone's favorite moment in the whole world I think!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Do we know if the PC version will have local coop?

Wait, what game's getting a PC version?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, what game's getting a PC version?

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete (Or whatever the full name is) is coming pretty soon. Basically the same thing as what the PS4 has, 8 and XL combined.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

5er posted:

So you're telling me that Zhuge Liang didn't float or bring down lightning bolts before getting forced to flee by a 9 year old girl?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

5er posted:

That's about everyone's favorite moment in the whole world I think!

While good, it has nothing on the true best scene.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

And people wonder why Liu Shan was a terrible ruler.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Once again, Ravages of Time had the better version :colbert: because Liu Bei actually rolled Adou/Liu Shan sideways instead of just plain chucking/spiking him -- minimizing the impact while still maintaining the "I'd throw him away for you, Zhao Yun!" image... and everyone else including Zhao Yun bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Zhao Yun's preceding scene fighting at Changban is hella cool though, not least because when Cao Cao starts getting into his "I want him" state of mind, Cao Ren has to talk him down by reminding him, "remember what happened with Guan Yu"...

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Hah, you can actually hear the Musou Attack sound effect right before he strikes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

5er posted:

No surprises, but lots of disappointment. :sigh:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just got started on Wu story mode and its getting annoying. Every time I think of saving a character to play later they die in the story and I lose my chance. I started to just pick the oldest male so I dont miss out anymore.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

I just got started on Wu story mode and its getting annoying. Every time I think of saving a character to play later they die in the story and I lose my chance. I started to just pick the oldest male so I dont miss out anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it much. You can always make up for missed opportunities in Free Mode or Ambition Mode.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Fauxtool posted:

Wu spends most of the game losing major figures, yeah.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Evil Canadian posted:

Hah, yeah, you have a point. From that scene onward I went from respecting Liu Bei as a rigidly principled individual with his eyes constantly on the bigger picture to promote empathetic leadership, to a weird prick that's very poor at valuating human lives in general.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

Hah, yeah, you have a point. From that scene onward I went from respecting Liu Bei as a rigidly principled individual with his eyes constantly on the bigger picture to promote empathetic leadership, to a weird prick that's very poor at valuating human lives in general.
Doesn't Zhao Yun basically go all :swoon: in response to Liu Bei making a show of valuing him like that?

That scene's right out of the traditional lore with all the baggage of the "morality" involved, so he does value specific human lives according to that morality -- as outright stated by his novel counterpart, he's consciously choosing the peerless warrior-general over the infant he claims that he can 'just' replace... it lines up as the flip-side of what happened when Zhang Fei fled to him after losing Xu Province to Lu Bu, that (quoting the novel here) "Brothers are as hands and feet; wives and children are as clothing. You may mend your torn dress, but who can reattach a lost limb?"

Then again, this is the same guy who in the novel unwittingly a man's slain wife because the local guy wanted to feed him and lied that the corpse was "wolf" meat... then shed tears of gratitude when he realized what he'd actually eaten, and Cao Cao loving paid the guy in silver. I don't think anything except the novel leaves that in!

As far as the 2010 version of Liu Bei is concerned, one thing that should really be found sketchier is how he uses suicide threats to keep his brothers in check... such as when Lu Su fucks up Zhuge Liang's little Huarong Valley gambit just by showing up!

Chortles fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 25, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Does the 2010 series have that scene where some guy invites Liu Bei and co. into his house but he doesn't have any food to serve them, so he kills and cooks his wife, and Liu Bei is so touched by this gesture that he weeps out of joy?

Edit: Oh man, I totally missed the above post mentioning that exact scene :suicide:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Does the 2010 series have that scene where some guy invites Liu Bei and co. into his house but he doesn't have any food to serve them, so he kills and cooks his wife, and Liu Bei is so touched by this gesture that he weeps out of joy?

Edit: Oh man, I totally missed the above post mentioning that exact scene :suicide:
You left out Cao Cao being told of this and rewarding the guy with silver. :colbert:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Incidentally, there's a running joke in Samurai Warriors where Aya thinks Kenshin is girly/should be a girl. I always thought this was just a weird "Oh Aya you so tough and scary" joke but there's actually a theory that exists (about as sound as china discovering america i.e. not very) that the real Kenshin was actually a woman which would explain some odd things about his life. This might have come up in the thread already but it's news to me!

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Chortles posted:

You left out Cao Cao being told of this and rewarding the guy with silver. :colbert:

Which really just lends more credence to the line of reasoning that Cao Cao was a fuckload more benevolent than Liu Bei, at least in the practical sense. Guy just lost his wife - he'd need help even (probably especially, actually) if he had other family. We can also recall how he purportedly took care of the "problem" of Yellow Turban remnants near his territory by trying to give them field work or a chance to be part of an army as opposed to just massacring them and ignoring the survivors.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Maleketh posted:

Hah, you can actually hear the Musou Attack sound effect right before he strikes.

They like their sound effects in that game

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Chachi posted:

Which really just lends more credence to the line of reasoning that Cao Cao was a fuckload more benevolent than Liu Bei, at least in the practical sense. Guy just lost his wife - he'd need help even (probably especially, actually) if he had other family. We can also recall how he purportedly took care of the "problem" of Yellow Turban remnants near his territory by trying to give them field work or a chance to be part of an army as opposed to just massacring them and ignoring the survivors.
Gee, I wonder why he just lost his wife... and if we're discussing the novel (according to Moss Roberts C.H. Brewitt-Taylor), it's specifically phrased as a reward. Then again, the whole thing reeks of WTF by modern standards, spoilered for :nms::

quote:

Liu Bei had no better plan to propose, and the two men directed their way to Xuchang, choosing by-roads rather than highways. When their small supplies ran out, they entered a village to beg. But when the people of any place heard that Liu Bei of Yuzhou was the man who needed help, they vied with each other in offering all that was required.

One day they sought shelter at a house whence a youth came out and made a low obeisance. They asked his name and he gave it as Liu An, of a well known family of hunters. Hearing who the visitor was, the hunter wished to lay before him a dish of game, but though he sought for a long time, nothing could be found for the table. So Liu An came home, killed his wife and prepared a portion for his guest.

While eating Liu Bei asked, "What flesh is it?"

Liu An told him: "Wolf."

Liu Bei knew no better and ate his fill. Next day at daylight, just as Liu Bei was leaving, he went to the stables in the rear to get his horse and passing through the kitchen; he saw the dead body of a woman lying on the table. The flesh of one arm had been cut away. Quite startled he asked what this meant, and then he knew what he had eaten the night before. He was deeply sorry at this proof of his host's regard and the tears rained down as he mounted his steed at the gate.

"I wish I could go with you," said Liu An, "but as my mother still lives, I cannot go so far from home."

Liu Bei thanked him and went his way. The party took the road by Liangcheng, and as they were going out, they saw not far off a thick cloud of dust. When the troop came nearer, they found the troops were of Cao Cao's army, and with them they traveled to the main camp where they found Cao Cao himself. Cao Cao shed tears at the sad story of Liu Bei's distress, the loss of the city, his brothers and wives and children. When Liu Bei told him of the hunter who had sacrificed his wife to feed them, Cao Cao sent the hunter a present of a hundred ounces of silver as a reward.
I especially like one reader's mockery: "there's a time for crying and a time for desperately puking out everything you've eaten for the last three weeks. Stop sobbing and start regurgitating."

You're not wrong about Cao Cao's assimilating of the Yellow Turban remnants, multiple adaptations have utilized the story -- I believe even Dynasty Warriors incorporated the story of the "Qing Province Yellow Turbans"?

(Once again, Ravages of Time comes through: in that continuity, Cao Cao's defeated after his attempted pursuit of Dong Zhuo fleeing Luoyang, but instead of just giving nearby starving peasants leftover rations for PR reasons, Xun Yu declared that they were needed for Cao Cao's army to fight Dong Zhuo even if all the other lords had slunk away... impressing the starving peasants -- revealed as former Yellow Turbans -- enough that they pledge themselves to Cao Cao, refilling his depleted army... and years later, they're the moles in Lu Bu's camp whose defection helps break the siege of Puyang, bailing out Cao Cao's army.)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 26, 2014

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Granted, but on the list of weird poo poo people may or may not have done, giving a guy some cash now that he's down a spouse is at least less dickish than going "oh, how sad! Well, g'bye! :v: "

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Chachi posted:

Granted, but on the list of weird poo poo people may or may not have done, giving a guy some cash now that he's down a spouse is at least less dickish than going "oh, how sad! Well, g'bye! :v: "
I would normally agree, were it not for the circumstances surrounding his being down a spouse -- then again, the whole thing is so hosed that I couldn't find anyone looking good in that scene as worded in the C.H. Brewitt-Taylor translation (according to ThreeKingdoms.com it uses that instead of the Moss Roberts translation).

I suppose I focused on it since with that context in mind the "Adou-chucking" stands out to me less (than I guess in the TV show) insofar as Liu Bei's dickishness; at the same time the 2010 TV show version is closer to "actual human" than the novel version.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay, after having at least started all 4 campaigns, I have to say Jin is by far my favorite, entirely due to Sima Yi going from maniacal cackling tyrant in battle to henpecked husband in cutscenes. Also his wife's weapon is goddamn amazing.

Actually, that seems to go for most of the women. They mostly get fast, large AoE weapons that are way better than average. Maybe they give up some damage for it but it hardly matters when you're juggling everything that gets in range to death. The one exception is the crossbow, which may be the worst weapon I've seen so far.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

Okay, after having at least started all 4 campaigns, I have to say Jin is by far my favorite, entirely due to Sima Yi going from maniacal cackling tyrant in battle to henpecked husband in cutscenes. Also his wife's weapon is goddamn amazing.

Actually, that seems to go for most of the women. They mostly get fast, large AoE weapons that are way better than average. Maybe they give up some damage for it but it hardly matters when you're juggling everything that gets in range to death. The one exception is the crossbow, which may be the worst weapon I've seen so far.

yes but the crossbow wielder has been winning fan polls for some reason ( . )( . )

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I went through the incident at Honnouji in Samurai 4 just now and...same as the others, they can't really do Akechi's motivation in a way that makes sense, can they?

edit: I mean, it's unclear even in history, but that shouldn't stop them from making some poo poo up that makes sense.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hey now, the crossbow would be awesome if it wasn't so hideously slow. Ignoring that it is an Ancient Chinese Boomstick!

EDIT: That said, as it exists now, it blows.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 26, 2014