Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Being a bluebro is worth it just for the look on the little undead's face after you rescue them from an invader and do they do the "this one's me". It brings a tear to the eye.. Plus, Targray is way cooler than that weirdo in charge of the brotherhood of blood.

I've not yet been summoned to help someone as a Bluebro but judging sinners is pretty fun, even if I am terrible at PvP.

I have :
+10 Raw Avelyn
+5 Raw Saintiers Spear
+10 Dark Hiedes Knight Sword
+10 Sun Sword
+1 Dranliec Shield (I don't know if there's a better medium shield I should be using?)
+10 Alonne Knight Captain Armour
+10 Lion Mage Cuffs
+10 Alonne Knight Captain Helm

But I'm really unsure how to approach PvP, I get my poise broken really easily by all the Ultra Greatsword wielders or the people with a light sword and massive amounts of Stamina. I did manage to find someone worse than me once, who I could roll past and back stab with my Spear but it took 7 Back Stabs to kill him :/

I really need to practice more but I don't want to go down the Fast Havel route or the just keep swinging till you exhaust their stamina route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
In Aldia's Keep there's that first carriage a rockin before the dragon skeleton, is there even a way to open that or even anything worthwhile in there?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If the info I found online is to be believed, you can get the ogres to break those, but they just contain basilisks.

Flattest Fish
May 29, 2013
Do faith and intelligence raise fire damage equally?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Flattest Fish posted:

Do faith and intelligence raise fire damage equally?

Fire is based on your average int/faith. So 20/20 is the same as 10/30.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Smornstein posted:

Mastodon Greatsword is pretty good. If you want an ULTRA Greatsword the Greatsword is fantastic.
Seconding this, I fuckin' loooove Mastodon GS.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
HOLY loving poo poo IM IN NG+ AND I JUST NOTICED THE FIRST BONFIRE IN HEIDE'S TOWER

Ive been rocking Mastodon. It's the strongest gs i have

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Alan Smithee posted:

HOLY loving poo poo IM IN NG+ AND I JUST NOTICED THE FIRST BONFIRE IN HEIDE'S TOWER

Ive been rocking Mastodon. It's the strongest gs i have
It has the best range that I've been able to find for a regular GS and had some pretty reasonable DEX reqs. Does well in PVP although I keep a broadsword +10 on-hand as well.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Aramoro posted:

But I'm really unsure how to approach PvP, I get my poise broken really easily by all the Ultra Greatsword wielders or the people with a light sword and massive amounts of Stamina. I did manage to find someone worse than me once, who I could roll past and back stab with my Spear but it took 7 Back Stabs to kill him :/

I really need to practice more but I don't want to go down the Fast Havel route or the just keep swinging till you exhaust their stamina route.

Santier's Spear is horrible for crits, but it has a great rolling attack. Change weapons after you do a guard break or if you're going to find an opening for a backstab. I have a mundane build and last night I saw almost 3K of damage on a guard break riposte with the dagger.

All you have to do is get used to the movesets for all your weapons, and see what people do to counter your tactics, and try to use those tactics, then see what other people do to counter *those* tactics. This is why I'm not so annoyed by washingpole users anymore.

As far as shields, its personal preference. My new best friend is the Transgressor's Leather shield, my other best friend is the Magic Shield. Honestly, anybody worth their salt in PVP are going to be pretty great at countering shield tactics, so the shield is more important for blocking projectiles, the few odd swings, and if you're much better than me parries.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Got into NG+ a couple of days ago!

I set my summon sign down because I wanna help people, I love helping people.

I'm getting summoned! Oh boy oh boy oh boy! :3:

Host is at half health and running one way. Swivel my camera around... A BLUE BRO COMING AT ME! :aaa:

I don't wanna fight a blue bro! I support their work! Blue bro immediately hits me. Biiiiiiiiitch. :nyd:

Destroyed the blue bro, then the host, without even saying or doing anything, kicks me out of the game. Biiiiiiiiitch. :argh:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get summoned again later. We're gonna fight the Pursuer early! Invaded by a Blue Bro! WHY ARE rear end-HOLES SUMMONING ME!? I die to pursuer when the bell bro attacks all of us, dodging an errant fireball only to get slashed and stabbed. I love this game. :3:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Deckit posted:

Got into NG+ a couple of days ago!

I set my summon sign down because I wanna help people, I love helping people.

I'm getting summoned! Oh boy oh boy oh boy! :3:

Host is at half health and running one way. Swivel my camera around... A BLUE BRO COMING AT ME! :aaa:

I don't wanna fight a blue bro! I support their work! Blue bro immediately hits me. Biiiiiiiiitch. :nyd:

Destroyed the blue bro, then the host, without even saying or doing anything, kicks me out of the game. Biiiiiiiiitch. :argh:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get summoned again later. We're gonna fight the Pursuer early! Invaded by a Blue Bro! WHY ARE rear end-HOLES SUMMONING ME!? I die to pursuer when the bell bro attacks all of us, dodging an errant fireball only to get slashed and stabbed. I love this game. :3:

You should have helped the polizia with their work and kill your host with Lifedrain Patch. :colbert:
It'll help both him and the Polizia out in the long run.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

ProfessorBooty posted:

and if you're much better than me parries.
Nah, parries are a gamble online, no matter how good you are. Unless you always have top-notch connection you will probably miss a few parry attempts, even if you time it perfectly.
On the other hand, you may parry something you clearly shouldn't have. In fact, in the more laggy matches I just sometimes randomly parry when I notice my opponent is attacking and it works more often than not.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Nah, parries are a gamble online, no matter how good you are. Unless you always have top-notch connection you will probably miss a few parry attempts, even if you time it perfectly.
On the other hand, you may parry something you clearly shouldn't have. In fact, in the more laggy matches I just sometimes randomly parry when I notice my opponent is attacking and it works more often than not.

This is an issue I'm having, lag seems pretty bad sometimes so I can't rely on parries or even rolling sometimes. I've had Spells clip straight through walls and kill me on more than one occasion as I thought I had safely ducked behind cover. So I'm trying to come up with the least lag vulnerable way of PvPing. My hexer has it easy, roll into Great Resonant Soul -> Target Destroyed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Deckit posted:

You need to stand back and let to polizia do their valuable work! Nothing worse than sinners summoning Sunbros to help them when you're trying to judge them for their sins.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My new favorite pastitme is ringing the bells in the Crypt as a Bluebro. THERE'S BEEN A JAILBREAK SUMMON THE BATTLEGHOSTS :cop:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Aramoro posted:

You need to stand back and let to polizia do their valuable work! Nothing worse than sinners summoning Sunbros to help them when you're trying to judge them for their sins.

The Sun does not arbitrate based on 'Sin' or 'villainy'. All can bask in gross incandescence.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

IGgy IGsen posted:

Nah, parries are a gamble online, no matter how good you are. Unless you always have top-notch connection you will miss a parry, even if you time it perfectly.

It's really too bad, I try to focus on reading my opponents and predicting their actions, and I still miss parries even though I have found my opponent's pattern. The one parry I did accomplish I suppose was extremely lucky, but it ultimately did boil down to how I predicted his movements. I guess I wish either stun locking wasn't as big of an issue (I'm thinking something similar to progressive gravity, a method some fighting games use to make you harder to combo), or that missing a parry wasn't so punishing. It is pretty nice that don't have to worry about other people parrying me much at all :v:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Aramoro posted:

gently caress the polizia. :colbert:

Blood for the blood god!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

neetengie posted:

You should have helped the polizia with their work and kill your host with Lifedrain Patch. :colbert:

For every sinner you kill, I kill 3 innocents. :smug:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

For every sinner you kill, I kill 3 innocents. :smug:

Jokes on you I'm not even a cop! :v:
i just duel for delicious dragon scales so i can live out my life as a dragon just like my fursona friends :qq:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I want to be a cool guy and kill sinners with the great shield duo but I can't hit anyone with them! :(

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Killed a host with life drain patch after we beat nashandra. It gave me my first "hate" mail

" : / "

Why the hell do I only have one spell for friendly fire griefing, from!?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Zombie Boat posted:

Killed a host with life drain patch after we beat nashandra. It gave me my first "hate" mail

" : / "

Why the hell do I only have one spell for friendly fire griefing, from!?

Has anyone checked if Scraps of Life (Darkstorm named in the game) is friendly fire enabled?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Leper Residue posted:

Sin carries over to NG+ so you'll get invaded constantly by the blue dudes.

For an idea how constant, I genocided everyone before starting new game + on my archer character. I got invaded 8 times within half an hour at Heide's.

It did result in some great kills, though. I keep a fully upgraded greatbow for shits and giggles and managed to get a hit on some Bluebro who was running along that long narrow path after the first bonfire. The knockback threw him right in the water. Eventually I just summoned some Sunbro's to help me steamroll the constant invaders since they were impeding my progress.

I was then invaded about six times in Forest of Fallen Giants. I decided to accept the fact that in my heart I'm a craven opportunist so I changed things up a bit.

The Chameleon sorcery is great fun in areas that have a lot of commonplace objects such as boxes. FoFG is ideal for this. Upon notice of the invasion I'd stake out my area and wait, +10 dagger at the ready. Often times if I placed myself cleverly I could get a fatal backstab if I was patient and the bluebro didn't catch me moving. If a backstab didn't seem likely I'd whip out my +10 Hunter's Blackbow loaded with poison arrows. I placed a stupid amount of points in Endurance so I have a ton of stamina and can launch off five or six shots into the unsuspecting fellow's back without emptying my bar.

Dudes who love to dodge are cake because they seem to forget you can hold the shot for a few seconds if you need to (unlike crossbows). They'll usually dodge right when they hear the bow being drawn. A second later and they're yours!.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

neetengie posted:

Aramoro posted:

As a Sunbro, I'm not sure my order allows me to differentiate between good and evil. I'm only helping who needs help. :ohdear:

When I am no longer a sunbro, I will be joining the force as a plucky new detective, rooting out sinners.

quote:

The Chameleon sorcery is great fun in areas that have a lot of commonplace objects such as boxes. FoFG is ideal for this. Upon notice of the invasion I'd stake out my area and wait, +10 dagger at the ready. Often times if I placed myself cleverly I could get a fatal backstab if I was patient and the bluebro didn't catch me moving. If a backstab didn't seem likely I'd whip out my +10 Hunter's Blackbow loaded with poison arrows. I placed a stupid amount of points in Endurance so I have a ton of stamina and can launch off five or six shots into the unsuspecting fellow's back without emptying my bar.

I loving love chameleon. Its seriously the best spell to use. Got invaded twice by Blood Bros. Chameleon, hide to the side. Equip slumbering dragoncrest ring. Stealth around for backstab kills. :ninja:

Deckit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Deckit posted:

As a Sunbro, I'm not sure my order allows me to differentiate between good and evil. I'm only helping who needs help. :ohdear:

When I am no longer a sunbro, I will be joining the force as a plucky new detective, rooting out sinners.

Surely since it was founded by the Sun Deity, who was from Anor Londo, helping the Blues must be second nature.
then again he probably bullied/teased Gwyndolin and that was the actual reason he was banned from anor londo

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
PC version has unlocked in Japan, calibrations are up to 1.05 on the PC so I wonder what has changed.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

neetengie posted:

Has anyone checked if Scraps of Life (Darkstorm named in the game) is friendly fire enabled?

I don't think so. Life drain is probably the only one. Killing a host after defeating a boss is such a funny and dick thing to do. Sometimes just pop it at the fog door as they walk in. Praise the dark

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
If I pre-ordered DS2 from the official website, do I have to wait for them to ship it to me, or do I get a code somehow to download it from Steam? Can I expect it to arrive on Friday?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What're other good weapons for a high faith build besides the defender greatsword?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

neetengie posted:

those are two different spells, and they are not friendly fire enabled.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

voltron lion force posted:

What're other good weapons for a high faith build besides the defender greatsword?

The Sunlight Straight Sword is pretty good when infused with lightning, Dex moves from A to B though but doesn't matter because Dex scaling is poo poo anyways :v:

Apparition posted:

those are two different spells, and they are not friendly fire enabled.

The Scraps of Life spell is actually Darkstorm, and vice versa. When you use Scraps of Life dark fire comes out, which is supposed to be for Darkstorm, and when you use Darkstorm, actual souls come out and circle you.
Unless they fixed that.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 24, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Here's someone doing a complete SL1 with Champion's Covenant run, including killing every boss. I think the ancient dragon fight takes almost 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8BQS5UMMoc

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

neetengie posted:

The Scraps of Life spell is actually Darkstorm, and vice versa. When you use Scraps of Life dark fire comes out, which is supposed to be for Darkstorm, and when you use Darkstorm, actual souls come out and circle you.
Unless they fixed that.

I don't see how they're switched? Darkstorm says it creates a vortex of dark flame, which it does.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Alan Smithee posted:

In Aldia's Keep there's that first carriage a rockin before the dragon skeleton, is there even a way to open that or even anything worthwhile in there?

The ogres can break them open if you get them to swing close enough. I guess you could use a Fragrant Branch on the ogre near the top of the stairs and then kite it down to the carriage. I haven't opened that carriage specifically but the other ones I got ogres to open, all that was inside was a basilisk. Probably not worth the time, effort, or branch.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

The ogres can break them open if you get them to swing close enough. I guess you could use a Fragrant Branch on the ogre near the top of the stairs and then kite it down to the carriage. I haven't opened that carriage specifically but the other ones I got ogres to open, all that was inside was a basilisk. Probably not worth the time, effort, or branch.

That's also a very nice reference to 1-3 in Demon's Souls, down to the sound effects

bloodshot
Apr 21, 2003

LOCC 2 DA BRAIN!
every blueberry's favorite move: run away and pretend to heal with miracles, but really cast wrath of the gods. they make the same sound and movement as far as i can tell so it can be tricky on deciding whether to try and punish a "heal" or hold back a sec and then finish them off after they miss wotg. similar to in demon's souls where someone might try and fake another cast of "second chance" but instead you rush into a wotg - except, of course, in demon's souls the damage couldn't be stacked to 1800 hp for baby tryhards.

and i've been lurking a bit, and seems like a lot of people seriously take pride in their magic/miracles/hexes. just a little fyi, you are poo poo. i really wish someone would make a dark souls clone but make it lower fantasy, remove all magic except for maybe alchemy, because then the game would be thoroughly fun and all the pathetic spell users would be forced to actually play the game with some risk involved.

also, i'm pretty sure i'm going to get the "git gud" or "lol i can roll thru every spell including ur mom's breath". please, i've spec'd as mundane before and when i decided to try and utilize those 4 att slots the game got boringly simple and easy even without hitting the soft cap for the atk bonus. i am unstoppable with magic and that just shouldn't be the case, damage should be capped at 3 figures and i shouldn't have over 10 casts of a spell that can do 1400 HP dmg a hit (great resonant soul - oh noes not 2k souls), shouldn't be able to cast a homing spell on someone and immediately follow it up with a direct hit spell (forced roll, hit on recovery for even more damage), and not to mention the assload of buffs/resins so they can still be near/on par with their melee damage.

meh, i understand some people are terrible and can only beat/enjoy the game with the magic crutch, but i really wish they'd do some more balance around the pvp for magic. either buff str/dex scaling (i can actually enjoy a fight where i get 2-3shotted by a greatsword because the guy actually had to get relatively close to me, AND aim his attack, to land that) or, more preferably due to the relatively decent HP balance, nerf magic

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
How's the online work in DS2? Looked around a bit but I can't find exact details. Do clients still host?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

How's the online work in DS2? Looked around a bit but I can't find exact details. Do clients still host?

Server based iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

bloodshot posted:

every blueberry's favorite move: run away and pretend to heal with miracles, but really cast wrath of the gods. they make the same sound and movement as far as i can tell so it can be tricky on deciding whether to try and punish a "heal" or hold back a sec and then finish them off after they miss wotg. similar to in demon's souls where someone might try and fake another cast of "second chance" but instead you rush into a wotg - except, of course, in demon's souls the damage couldn't be stacked to 1800 hp for baby tryhards.

and i've been lurking a bit, and seems like a lot of people seriously take pride in their magic/miracles/hexes. just a little fyi, you are poo poo. i really wish someone would make a dark souls clone but make it lower fantasy, remove all magic except for maybe alchemy, because then the game would be thoroughly fun and all the pathetic spell users would be forced to actually play the game with some risk involved.

also, i'm pretty sure i'm going to get the "git gud" or "lol i can roll thru every spell including ur mom's breath". please, i've spec'd as mundane before and when i decided to try and utilize those 4 att slots the game got boringly simple and easy even without hitting the soft cap for the atk bonus. i am unstoppable with magic and that just shouldn't be the case, damage should be capped at 3 figures and i shouldn't have over 10 casts of a spell that can do 1400 HP dmg a hit (great resonant soul - oh noes not 2k souls), shouldn't be able to cast a homing spell on someone and immediately follow it up with a direct hit spell (forced roll, hit on recovery for even more damage), and not to mention the assload of buffs/resins so they can still be near/on par with their melee damage.

meh, i understand some people are terrible and can only beat/enjoy the game with the magic crutch, but i really wish they'd do some more balance around the pvp for magic. either buff str/dex scaling (i can actually enjoy a fight where i get 2-3shotted by a greatsword because the guy actually had to get relatively close to me, AND aim his attack, to land that) or, more preferably due to the relatively decent HP balance, nerf magic

This isn't the gamers.txt thread. Also source your quotes.

Stux posted:

Server based iirc.

Server for connection crap, p2p once you're been matched with someone.

• Locked thread