Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

George Allen, 2006.
Again then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cheekio posted:

This might be the most racist thing I've ever read.

Just take out "negro" and put in "inner city dweller" and you have a Paul Ryan stump speech!

Fried Chicken posted:

George Allen, 2006.

He almost won that race and then got nominated for senate again a few years later.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 24, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's the beauty of the base controlling the party. They digest the (mostly) covert, subtle racism of Rush but they are not smart enough to dance around it like he does, so they just blurt it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have gone to foxnews.com so you don't have to and, for some reason, they aren't allowing commenting on articles about Bundy being a huge racist! Not even on the foxnation site.

His statements do, however, only strengthen his assertion that he is like one of the founding fathers.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 24, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

JT Jag posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that by 2016 a Republican congressman or congressional candidate will be caught on tape saying friend of the family, possibly referring to the President but probably not (that's honestly too on the nose), and he will be broadly defended for it instead of being asked to step down, and that'll be the Akin moment.

It's actually a smart bet to make.

Here's how this would play out, in a scenario that fits exactly into the Republican media bubble.

- Candidate X, in answering a question about social programs, casually uses the n-word in context, at the end of a sentence that would be damning even if he didn't use that word. His town hall audience bursts into cheers, like he just won the election. This candidate would be from a completely red district, where his campaign is basically a victory lap. He has no real chance of losing, and he's a relative unknown because his race is so lopsided.

- A Democratic party staffer immediately uploads the tape onto YouTube, where it immediately goes viral. Some random candidate is now the major talking point in national politics.

- Every media outlet rushes to condemn the guy, as soon as possible, after being taken aback from someone actually using that word in public.

- Politicians on both sides of the aisle condemn the guy, condemn his words, and condemn the offensive word specifically.

- Every conservative media outlet rushes to the guy's defense, by trying to pin blame on the media reporting on the story, blaming the Dems for having a staffer there, and by blaming black people and rap music in a bizarre defense of free speech.

- Rush Limbaugh wades into the controversy, proclaiming that he's the voice of true conservatism, and he thinks it's patriotic and American to use that word, before dropping a Dr. Laura-esque string of n-bombs. The rest of conservative radio either takes that cue and begins using that word as much as possible, or the hose does not use that word and his callers lash out at him for being a RINO.

- Because of Limbaugh, the conservatives that originally bashed the guy soften their tone, or have a chance of heart, as the racist portion of the base starts threatening them for not being conservative enough.

- Individual politicians have town halls disrupted by people shouting racial slurs, or demanding that the candidate speaking use racial slurs. This turns into situations like the health care town halls, only now with overt racism.

- All of the poll numbers for Republican candidates have huge drops, as the party is painted as the party of racists. Even if the local candidate condemns the racism, the national narrative is of the Racist Republican Summer. Naturally, the party rallies around a guy saying the poll numbers are all false, because the people sampled aren't identifying as Republicans any more, so all the polls are secretly skewed. In their reality, saying racist things makes the poll numbers skyrocket, so more conservatives demand that their local candidate say racist things on tape.

- Bizarrely enough, overt racism becomes the most memorable thing about the political summer, and as election day approaches, lots of political commentators talk about how they never saw anything like this coming, this is completely unexpected, et cetera.

- On Election Day, the Republicans get their asses kicked on every level. Any purple districts or states go for the Democrats, as the only Republican wins come from places where they basically couldn't lose. The Democrats keep control of the Senate, widening their lead, while also taking back a bunch of House seats. The Republicans insist that they were cheated somehow, and that they only need to say even more racist things in 2016.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbnRnhrNFEY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't see what possible context this was taken out of to absolve him of being actually racist unless his immediately preceding words were "Here's my imitation of an extremely racist old man."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would also like a pony if you can fit that in there, AshInHowe.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

Here's how this would play out, in a scenario that fits exactly into the Republican media bubble.

- Candidate X, in answering a question about social programs, casually uses the n-word in context, at the end of a sentence that would be damning even if he didn't use that word. His town hall audience bursts into cheers, like he just won the election. This candidate would be from a completely red district, where his campaign is basically a victory lap. He has no real chance of losing, and he's a relative unknown because his race is so lopsided.

- A Democratic party staffer immediately uploads the tape onto YouTube, where it immediately goes viral. Some random candidate is now the major talking point in national politics.

- Every media outlet rushes to condemn the guy, as soon as possible, after being taken aback from someone actually using that word in public.

- Politicians on both sides of the aisle condemn the guy, condemn his words, and condemn the offensive word specifically.

- Every conservative media outlet rushes to the guy's defense, by trying to pin blame on the media reporting on the story, blaming the Dems for having a staffer there, and by blaming black people and rap music in a bizarre defense of free speech.

- Rush Limbaugh wades into the controversy, proclaiming that he's the voice of true conservatism, and he thinks it's patriotic and American to use that word, before dropping a Dr. Laura-esque string of n-bombs. The rest of conservative radio either takes that cue and begins using that word as much as possible, or the hose does not use that word and his callers lash out at him for being a RINO.

- Because of Limbaugh, the conservatives that originally bashed the guy soften their tone, or have a chance of heart, as the racist portion of the base starts threatening them for not being conservative enough.

- Individual politicians have town halls disrupted by people shouting racial slurs, or demanding that the candidate speaking use racial slurs. This turns into situations like the health care town halls, only now with overt racism.

- All of the poll numbers for Republican candidates have huge drops, as the party is painted as the party of racists. Even if the local candidate condemns the racism, the national narrative is of the Racist Republican Summer. Naturally, the party rallies around a guy saying the poll numbers are all false, because the people sampled aren't identifying as Republicans any more, so all the polls are secretly skewed. In their reality, saying racist things makes the poll numbers skyrocket, so more conservatives demand that their local candidate say racist things on tape.

- Bizarrely enough, overt racism becomes the most memorable thing about the political summer, and as election day approaches, lots of political commentators talk about how they never saw anything like this coming, this is completely unexpected, et cetera.

- On Election Day, the Republicans get their asses kicked on every level. Any purple districts or states go for the Democrats, as the only Republican wins come from places where they basically couldn't lose. The Democrats keep control of the Senate, widening their lead, while also taking back a bunch of House seats. The Republicans insist that they were cheated somehow, and that they only need to say even more racist things in 2016.

:circlefap:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

That whole scenario just happened in regards to rape in 2012. That whole thing. It just happened.

And it can happen again, because that's what the base wants to have happen.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

fool_of_sound posted:

*Regarding the fantasy scenario*
:circlefap:

Yeah, I highly doubt something like that would happen, as much as I would love to see it. The Republican establishment isn't dumb enough to let that sort of thing play out.

AsInHowe posted:

That whole scenario just happened in regards to rape in 2012. That whole thing. It just happened.

And they seem to be doing just fine, so...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't think they had any sort of plan beyond "acquire money and prestige for our buddies." Part of the reason it became such a disaster is because there just kind of wasn't any sort of solid plan and Bush and pals were having none of it when top-ranking strategists told them their ideas were dumb. One of the top generals literally got fired when he said to Bush that, to achieve anything they wanted to (whatever the gently caress that was) they needed to at least double the troops that were over there. Bush's attitude was along the lines of "well you need to think positively and saying we might fail if we do not do a thing is not thinking positively." Yeah, Bush was literally arguing that you could just positively think a war to victory. That's part of why people think he's a drooling idiot.

Afghanistan turned into a complete disaster very quickly with no plan other than "I don't know send some dudes over and have them go look for Osama or something" after more or less declaring war on the world. Saddam was picked up rather quickly and nobody found a single WMD to dismantle (because they didn't exist) so everybody was standing around holding their dicks going "OK, now what?"

Really, there was some nebulous "end terrorism" goals set but it was so non-specific it was impossible to plan around. Meanwhile the Bush policies toward the wars ended up just making the problems worse. It was like putting out fires with kerosene.

It reflected his policies on literally everything else, really. His attitude was "I think this will work so it will work. I'll just do like whatever, if you criticize it you're a dummy and need to think more positively. Anything bad that happens due to my policy isn't my fault because I think positive." That line of magical thinking doesn't make somebody sound like a pillar of intellectualism. It's also part of why people think he's an idiot. That attitude actually makes it impossible to learn or improve.

This will definitely get lost in Bundy-chat (holy poo poo, he actually used the phrase 'picking cotton') but thank you for the detailed answer on this. It's even more depressing than I originally thought, and I can't help but wonder how it's going to be whitewashed in textbooks twenty years from now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Yes, I remember the 2012 election where the Democrats rode a wave of anti-misogynist Republican sentiment into control of the House and state legislatures.

If you want to use this Bundy thing as a test case for your absurd election fan fiction, literally no one is defending his views on race, they are all calling him a terrible racist. Their argument is that his views on race are immaterial to his dispute with the BLM and the issues of personal liberty surrounding that. The GOP political machine is not dumb, they are not going to defend someone who literally says the n-word.

I know we keep waiting for the one weird trick to get the GOP out of office but the only thing that's going to do that is time and demographic changes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

I have gone to foxnews.com so you don't have to and, for some reason, they aren't allowing commenting on articles about Bundy being a huge racist! Not even on the foxnation site.

His statements do, however, only strengthen his assertion that he is like one of the founding fathers.

Eh, it isn't like Hannity himself handles that and is trying to save face or prune away the stuff that makes home look the worst. Moderating that poo poo would fall to an unpaid intern trying desperately to do something with a communications degree. I'm not all that bothered about their life being made easier.

On twitter though the defenders are leaping on "well Harry Reid said 'negro' once as well!" Because apparently their is some equivalence between applying a racist/classist stereotype that he then apologized for and claiming things would be better if white people could systematically torture, degrade, abuse, exploit, and murder black people every day.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

I found an article about his recent speech on the Daily Mail's site and the comments were mostly criticizing him for being a racist and similar opinions, then I started seeing some stuff like this:

quote:

Instead of allowing yourselves to be herded towards the conclusion that Bundy is a racist, why not read his actual words and think about what he's saying. Blacks, back in the days of slavery, were productive and seemed content. They sang, whistled, raised their families (most of whom, despite Hollywood's depiction, were NOT separated and sold off). A huge percentage of blacks today are filled with hate and refuse to be productive. They've latched onto the government teat and remain there, generation after generation, living off the labors of productive members of society, yet blame whites for ALL their woes. THAT is the point Bundy is making and truth isn't racist, it's just truth.

"You guys don't understand what's he's saying: that black people are inferior geez how could you be so wrong??" I'm pretty sure Fox News knows their audience well enough that they don't want to even try and moderate stuff like that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

No one is going to defend anyone saying friend of the family and keep their job.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

You know there is an actual market for political fan fiction, you can sell this stuff and make money instead of posting it here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Inglonias posted:

Yeah, I highly doubt something like that would happen, as much as I would love to see it. The Republican establishment isn't dumb enough to let that sort of thing play out.
I doubt that entire list happening is plausible. I could definitely see 1-6 happening though. Hell, 1-6 is basically "right-wing scandal.txt"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

zoux posted:

Except if you want to use this Bundy thing as a test case, literally no one is defending his views on race, they are all calling him a terrible racist. Their argument is that his views on race are immaterial to his dispute with the BLM and the issues of personal liberty surrounding that. The GOP political machine is not dumb, they are not going to defend someone who literally says the n-word.

There's two things to realize about what's going on here.

First, no one is defending Bundy's views, but a lot of people are attacking. The conservatives will take the attacks and frame the situation as "look at (liberal commentator) attacking this man, he is clearly just the victim of liberal attacks". That's what happened with Phil Robertson, and that's what will eventually happen here.

Second, the rank-and-file of the Republican base want to say and do racist things in public. I worked in politics for a couple election cycles, and there's an amazing amount of pure racist bile in a lot of the conservative electorate, and they're all calling their local party office to demand that they be allowed to say these things or that someone say these things.

It's not that the GOP political machine is dumb, it's that they've emboldened a group like the Tea Party that has essentially subsumed that machine. The people that should've been the followers are now steering the ship here, and that's what will screw the Republicans.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/04/cliven-bundy-shockingly-turns-out-to-be-racist.html

quote:

it’s not exactly a coincidence that Bundy also turns out to be a gigantic racist. Just like Ron Paul’s longtime ghostwriter turned out to be a neoconfederate white supremacist. And like the way Rand Paul’s ghostwriter also turned out to be a neoconfederate white supremacist. Presumably all these revelations have struck Tuccille as a series of shocking coincidences. Why do all these people with strong antipathy toward the federal government turn out to be racists? Why do all these homosexuals keep sucking my cock?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Radish posted:

I found an article about his recent speech on the Daily Mail's site and the comments were mostly criticizing him for being a racist and similar opinions, then I started seeing some stuff like this:

"You guys don't understand what's he's saying: that black people are inferior geez how could you be so wrong??" I'm pretty sure Fox News knows their audience well enough that they don't want to even try and moderate stuff like that.

Jesus Christ, how exactly does one respond to the "it's not racist to say black people are moochers and blame everyone and everything but themselves for their woes, because it's true :smuggo:" canard?

This is even more ridiculous than when my idiot sheltered "friend" from Dartmouth tried to justify his "black people need to change their CULTURE" with anecdotal tweets from Nicki Minaj about "white-shaming" in predominantly black schools.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Jesus Christ, how exactly does one respond to the "it's not racist to say black people are moochers and blame everyone and everything but themselves for their woes, because it's true :smuggo:" canard?

"What you said is the dictionary definition of racism".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

No one is going to defend anyone saying friend of the family and keep their job.

Again, George Allen, 2006

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

With profanities, and possibly violence.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

With profanities, and possibly violence.

Also "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic because what I'm saying is TRUE" is pretty much the go to for bigots. They are pissed they can't say horrible things because they are convinced they are correct and thus the people offended are ignorant. This plays in perfectly with the right wing media bubble where facts are subjective and you should never re-evaluate anything you believe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Bundy is on Alex Hones asking the NYT to retract the quotes on the basis of it not being true or at least missing context

Meanwhile video of the quote has appeared online

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Bundy is on Alex Hones asking the NYT to retract the quotes on the basis of it not being true or at least missing context

Meanwhile video of the quote has appeared online

What context is he saying could possibly justify what he said? Or is he not offering anything other than "I didn't say the things that you have me on video tape saying"?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
And there it is, the early seeds of this argument becoming 'who is the real racist here? the liberal New York Times, publishing the words of this guy who is claiming they are out of context? or the avowed racist?'

made of bees
May 21, 2013
"This is what I would say, if I were a huge racist, which I'm not:"

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

They do that for most things remotely controversial. Try the Washington Times if you want some awful right wing rage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, that party sure knows how to pick its idols/spokespeople.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There is but one 2016 GOP narrative flameout and AsInHowe is its prophet.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

What context is he saying could possibly justify what he said? Or is he not offering anything other than "I didn't say the things that you have me on video tape saying"?

"Here's my impression of a racist old man"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Again, George Allen, 2006

I thought he said macawca or something, not friend of the family. I know, they're both racist terms, but that doesn't mean people treat them like they are. That is too say, people were all like "he didn't know it was racist" and got away with it, but nobody will believe you if you say that about friend of the family.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
In other news involving heavily armed racist old men, Frazier Glenn Miller got arrested for having sex with a black male hooker that was dressed as a woman in the 1980's.

quote:

In the course of their investigation, authorities also learned the stunning details of Miller’s arrest a year earlier. Raleigh police officers had caught Miller in the back seat of a vehicle, in mid-act with a black male prostitute masquerading as a woman.

“It was pretty shocking,” says McCullough, “because of his personal stances that he had taken and what he was now accused on engaging in.”

McCullough says he has read the police report of the incident but declined to comment on the specifics. “I would rather not go into the details,” he said. “They’re rather salacious. I think the facts speak for themselves and people can draw their own conclusions about how incongruous that is.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/04/accused-kansas-shooter-was-protected-federal-witness-but-hateful-ways-continued/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

In other news involving heavily armed racist old men, Frazier Glenn Miller got arrested for having sex with a black male hooker that was dressed as a woman in the 1980's.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/04/accused-kansas-shooter-was-protected-federal-witness-but-hateful-ways-continued/
But was he masquerading as a WHITE woman?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I thought he said macawca or something, not friend of the family. I know, they're both racist terms, but that doesn't mean people treat them like they are. That is too say, people were all like "he didn't know it was racist" and got away with it, but nobody will believe you if you say that about friend of the family.

Didn't he try to justify that by saying "My mum from South Africa said it was a term for Indians!" or something like that?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah George Allen was able to dance around it since it's not really commonly known and he could claim he didn't know it was a racially loaded term.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

It was a different word, yes. I just don't see much daylight between it. If a bunch of angry rednecks tell a successful black man in an interracial relationship they want to take him "apple picking" its a drat clear racist threat even if there is wiggle room of "no, we just wanted to get fresh ingredients for a pie, we weren't threatening to lynch him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Allen's defense was basically "macaca? That's just a nonsense word bro, I'd have called anybody that word, not just a brown staffer whom I then accused of not understanding how we do things in these here parts."

• Locked thread