Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I don't understand the hate that villain-of-the-week stories have been getting lately. The heroes get to face a variety of threats over the season while the main plot develops and pops up from time to time before culminating in the finale. I've always liked that formula. Sure, most of SHIELD's individual plots haven't quite been Buffy-quality, but they haven't been bad, and this one was one of the better this season. Besides, like 50% of the episode was arc-related anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't mind monster of the week format either, but you can easily do that together with a bigger plot, Person of Interest does that.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I am with the people who thought the lie detector scene was dumb. Not because lie detectors don't work (because I can buy a super science one in the context of the show that does work) but because they still did the stupid "beat a lie detector test by saying a bunch of roundabout poo poo that is technically true, and the person administering the test lets it happen." If you have a lie detector machine that actually works and you are high-level agent running a secret organization you should be very specific with your questions and demand specific, clear answers and if you ask someone if they are associated with an enemy group and their answer is "Yes... our groups are so uh, intertwined now" you don't let that slide.

As for the monster of the week format in general I think it's fine but SHIELD hasn't really been pulling it off. That first episode with the girl with he eye implant was probably the best one they've done. I think despite being kind of bare-bones and straightforward this episode's Blackout plot, while not that good, was a step in the right direction. The team's conflict now is way more interesting than stuff like Coulson brooding over being brought back to life too mysteriously.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I liked this episode

I'm hoping the last three episodes don't return to the status-quo. I don't want May to catch up with Colbie Hill in the waning minutes of the next episode and have them concoct a gadgetry-heist-centric way to set up SHIELD again. That's exactly what I expect from that plot, therefore, it wouldn't be good TV if that happens. Something's gotta change in a big way going into the next season. Give us stakes so we can slay the "Almost-Boring Show" vampires...or something.

On the plus-side, Skye's story arc is entering the preliminary phase of "being a spy might actually suck". Something that was long overdue.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

MoaM posted:

I liked this episode

I'm hoping the last three episodes don't return to the status-quo.

Please stop. Status quo is a Latin term meaning the existing state of affairs! It's not something you return to, it's something you are at! :spergin:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tastychicken posted:

Please stop. Status quo is a Latin term meaning the existing state of affairs! It's not something you return to, it's something you are at! :spergin:

Also a decent band.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Decius posted:

Also a decent band.

Whatever you want. :banjo:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A better phrase would have been "return to the status quo ante bellum" (return to the state before the war) or even just "return to the status quo ante" (return to the previous state).

WHOO, TALKIN' 'BOUT LATIN ITT

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

MoaM posted:

On the plus-side, Skye's story arc is entering the preliminary phase of "being a spy might actually suck". Something that was long overdue.

You're right, Skye actually became more interesting this last episode. I'd like to see them follow through on the transition from her thinking that Coulson's team is just going to Scooby-Doo it around the globe to realizing that she is involved in some straight-up horrible stuff. Getting completely played by Ward like that has to shatter her world-view.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The status quo is often referred to when talking about Marvel and DC comics. They can't change TOO much, because then that would be too interestingshoehorn all future stories in a given direction. Even after the BIG YEARLY CROSSOVER EVENT (which one may posit is what just happened with Winter Soldier and AoS) things always return to the status quo ante, or nearly so, even though NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME.

I understand why this is done in comics, everything is sort of frozen in time or at least moving at a glacial pace for Brand Reasons, but it's not for sure going to be true for this show. In fact, it would be a very poor thing from a television perspective. We really won't know till Season 2, which is probably going to be a thing no matter how hysterical some people may get.

Season 2 won't have the excuse this season had. Not if they want viewers.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

We don't have front license plates in Pennsylvania you stupid show :argh:

And it's three letters, four numbers, not five! :argh:

Related, I'm not sure my wife wants to watch TV with me for a while...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm watching for any hints of Skye's super powers.

As for the "Monster of the Week" format, obviously it's pretty standard by now in the genre, and can be done well or not so well. Buffy was great not necessarily because of the plot - either the monster of the week or the season long "big bad" - but rather because of the characters and their interactions with each other.

This is true of all great shows, and something poor shows lack.

Dollhouse lacked it, and I think AoS still does, though it's definitely getting better.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Agents of shield has started taking risks and has built up a decent rouges gallery which has just been replenished thanks to the breakout in Fridge. Plus they have started dipping into the rich marvel cannon with people like Deathlok and Hydra now in the mix. With supplements also coming from the main cinematic universe, It does look like Shield has the makings of a great series finally in place. Whether or not it continues remains to be seen but at least it should be a decent ride along the way. :munch:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
They really should have released Agents of Shield in the winter instead of the fall so they could have cut the number of bullshit filler episodes in half before Winter Soldier.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't really get the hate Blackout is getting. I thought he was a decent enough villain. You can't go too big with superpowers because the protagonists are (probably) human. And the real meat of the story was Coulson and the cellist, who was hinted at in the series 7th or 8th episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't really get the hate Blackout is getting. I thought he was a decent enough villain. You can't go too big with superpowers because the protagonists are (probably) human. And the real meat of the story was Coulson and the cellist, who was hinted at in the series 7th or 8th episode.

The show would be better if they added super-villains like Arrow does. They do that, and they still complain. I plan to watch and see what they do with the end of the season, and how they finish it off. I assume it will end with them being a mini shield that still reports to Nick Fury and Hill, but they will not have the resources. The Shield poo poo is not going to be fixed on the show, it will be done in either Avengers 2 or more likely Captain America 3.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If this show gains more viewers, I could see them fixing SHIELD on it. It's not like they couldn't recap in the Cap 3 "oh yeah, Coulson and his team did x and y and that's why Cap is now... doing whatever he's doing"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

No Butt Stuff posted:

If this show gains more viewers, I could see them fixing SHIELD on it. It's not like they couldn't recap in the Cap 3 "oh yeah, Coulson and his team did x and y and that's why Cap is now... doing whatever he's doing"

They will never, ever put major movie-altering stuff into a television show. The movies are where the real money is, and if anyone decides to also watch the show then that's a bonus. But the show is never going to wag the dog, to butcher a saying.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What was Ward taking out of his finger after the interrogation? A paperclip? I'm guessing to block the readings from that finger sensor?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

No Butt Stuff posted:

I assume that will be a season 2 plotline and can see it sort of tying in with Avengers 2

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PCOS Bill posted:

And it's three letters, four numbers, not five! :argh:

Related, I'm not sure my wife wants to watch TV with me for a while...

So Spy Momma put on fake plates on a covert mission to rescue her daughter? Who would imagine?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

What was Ward taking out of his finger after the interrogation? A paperclip? I'm guessing to block the readings from that finger sensor?

He jammed some metal poo poo in there to gently caress with the machine's readings by inducing pain and fluctuating his breathing, sweating, temperature, etc. That poo poo was long, it sounds painful to prepare yourself that way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PunkBoy posted:

Apparently you can 'fool' lie detectors by deliberately causing pain to yourself. It offsets their baseline reading or something and the machine can't detect minor fluctuations in stress or heart rate because they're already pushed up so high because of the pain. Or so the urban legends about beating polygraph machines would have you believe.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently you can 'fool' lie detectors by deliberately causing pain to yourself. It offsets their baseline reading or something and the machine can't detect minor fluctuations in stress or heart rate because they're already pushed up so high because of the pain. Or so the urban legends about beating polygraph machines would have you believe.

All you need to do is relax your anal sphincter.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

On a random observational note, when Audrey mentions that she and Coulson had plans to go up the coast when she received the phone call when he died, I like to think Tony Stark secretly arranged those plans during The Avengers, and was going to surprise Coulson with them. :smith:

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

On a random observational note, when Audrey mentions that she and Coulson had plans to go up the coast when she received the phone call when he died, I like to think Tony Stark secretly arranged those plans during The Avengers, and was going to surprise Coulson with them. :smith:

Tony didn't even know Coulson's first name.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

That wouldn't stop him. :colbert: He is fully aware about Coulson and Audrey's relationship in Avengers. In one scene he walks in with Phil encouraging him to keep in contact with her.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Andrew Verse posted:

Sure he did: it's Agent :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tony probably went to tell the cellist personally when Coulson died and then hosed her pain away.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Andrew Verse posted:

Pepper Potts would have handled it, she knew all about Coulson's relationship with the cellist.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

redshirt posted:

I'm watching for any hints of Skye's super powers.

As for the "Monster of the Week" format, obviously it's pretty standard by now in the genre, and can be done well or not so well. Buffy was great not necessarily because of the plot - either the monster of the week or the season long "big bad" - but rather because of the characters and their interactions with each other.

This is true of all great shows, and something poor shows lack.

Dollhouse lacked it, and I think AoS still does, though it's definitely getting better.

Dollhouse got way better on that front in the back half of the first season and then in the second season. If you haven't watched it all the way through I'd really recommend it.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Pepper Potts would have handled it, she knew all about Coulson's relationship with the cellist.

Speaking of, if Gwyneth Paltrow is willing to guest star on Glee of all shows, I wouldn't be surprised if Pepper stopped by sometime next season.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Agent Poots was pretty entertaining this past episode.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm a little late on the Fitz talk, but I am pretty sure the last scene with him and Simmons was him letting her go, per Coulson's talk about how he was letting the Cellist go and live her life. Fitz had a sort of resignation/understanding look there, where he didn't want to get in the way of her happiness. If that meant she crushes on Triplett for a while, then he was going to be ok with it.

That was my reading of it anyway.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Emerson Cod posted:

Speaking of, if Gwyneth Paltrow is willing to guest star on Glee of all shows, I wouldn't be surprised if Pepper stopped by sometime next season.

She has a lot of free time, now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm bummed Patton Oswalt can never take another role in the Marvel universe again now, because he's great, and he loves comics.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

hollylolly posted:

I'm a little late on the Fitz talk, but I am pretty sure the last scene with him and Simmons was him letting her go, per Coulson's talk about how he was letting the Cellist go and live her life. Fitz had a sort of resignation/understanding look there, where he didn't want to get in the way of her happiness. If that meant she crushes on Triplett for a while, then he was going to be ok with it.

That was my reading of it anyway.

Nah, Fitz is going to constantly give Triplett poo poo over petty stuff.

I liked how he kept getting shut down whenever he tried to explain something this last episode.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm bummed Patton Oswalt can never take another role in the Marvel universe again now, because he's great, and he loves comics.

They can always have his body abducted and used for something else...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LividLiquid posted:

Speculation: It turns out that all of Fury's secret bases are run by LMDs, all Koenig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

LividLiquid posted:

You know he had a brother....

• Locked thread