Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I still get black boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nth Doctor posted:

Is this also fixed?

Same fix, yes. I think it's not in the build I used to post that.

Geirskogul posted:

I still get black boxes

I got a tip from Gaze the other day on a possible cause. I was away most of the week but I'll try to push it into beta tomorrow.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well I loving failed. Still here it is, also included is the hack-fix for password-changes:

:siren:Possible black box fix:siren:

I got hold of another Stock Galaxy Nexus and was more or less able reproduce the boxes. Didn't see any after the patch but it took me a while to reproduce them in the first place so :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What was causing the bug? I haven't seen it since I went to a Moto G but that's just such a peculiar error I'd love to know the resolution.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm seeing wonky avatars occasionally. I just installed the new beta, but I also loaded a new theme (ArchMage's version of Spanky's dark theme), so I'm not 100% sure which is causing it.

Edit: seems to have been the theme. Ignore me.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 24, 2014

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Can you only use one phone at the time? I'm in the midst of switching from a note 1 to a 3 and while I get the glue glue glue after logging in I get a not logged in error trying to do anything on my new phone...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zokie posted:

Can you only use one phone at the time? I'm in the midst of switching from a note 1 to a 3 and while I get the glue glue glue after logging in I get a not logged in error trying to do anything on my new phone...

Yeah you totally can. I suggest clearing the app data and trying again.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
That worked, thanks

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Bug report I guess. I typed most of a reply and got a call. Hung up and was on the home screen. Used the task change rightmost menu button to switch back to Awful. I saw my reply draft there under the box that said Fetching Message or similar. Then my reply totally vanished with only the quote in the text box.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The black square bug popped up again for me. Oddly enough, switching to another app to upload the screenshot made the squares go away.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm really leaning towards the idea that the boxes are a memory issue, with the webview losing blocks of rendered data or something along those lines. I've seen it happen in Chrome too, but only rarely and after using a pretty heavy page.

Switching apps might cause a clearout, which would explain why the boxes disappear (the missing content gets re-rendered), so I'm wondering if more aggressive memory flushing would work. Looking at a lot of threads means a lot of webview graphics data being generated.

This is all completely idle speculation, I'll see if I can find anything out (and try Sereri's patch) when I unbreak my heart Android Studio installation

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I used to see the black boxes on my GNex semi often, but haven't seen it on either my Note 3 or Moto X

Edit: or my Nexus 7. Forgot I had that.

XIII fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 27, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Never seen on either my 2012 Nexus 7 (CM 10.2.1) or my American bastard-child Galaxy S III (also CM 10.2.1 - although American GS3s are nothing like the international ones internally).

I would be curious about that red/pink busy wheel. I don't know if it's someone's avatar or a third-party thing (because it doesn't look remotely like any Android standard busy wheel ever) but either way it may help determine and/or fix the blackouts.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 27, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Am I missing an option to highlight messages that quote me or is it not implemented in something? Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well 4.4 uses an updated webview, so that's probably why it only seems to pop up on older devices. Could be all kinds of wild stuff though, it's a hard bug to reproduce - but it does happen in other apps that use webviews, soooo

TraderStav posted:

Am I missing an option to highlight messages that quote me or is it not implemented in something? Thanks!

Highlighting sub-menu in the Posts section is where you get to feel special

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Well 4.4 uses an updated webview, so that's probably why it only seems to pop up on older devices. Could be all kinds of wild stuff though, it's a hard bug to reproduce - but it does happen in other apps that use webviews, soooo

Highlighting sub-menu in the Posts section is where you get to feel special

I must be missing something. I'm using something, not awful. Looks like limited preferences.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ohhh sorry, I read that like 'not implemented somewhere'

Confusing names!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I would be curious about that red/pink busy wheel. I don't know if it's someone's avatar or a third-party thing (because it doesn't look remotely like any Android standard busy wheel ever) but either way it may help determine and/or fix the blackouts.

That was someone's avatar. Also, if I tapped on any expand-y parts of the UI, the portion of the screen filled with black boxes would shift.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 28, 2014

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I must be missing something. I'm using something, not awful. Looks like limited preferences.

The something development thread is here, and that feature is on the list of things to re-implement.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

The something development thread is here, and that feature is on the list of things to re-implement.

Oh thanks! I apologize for cluttering up this thread.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I get the black boxes on CM 4.4 on my 2012 N7, LG Optimus G with 4.1.2?, and GSII epic 4g with a random cm 4.4. None on N8013, though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Did any of you try the black box build I posted on Thursday?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a quick support question about displaying gifs (using app 3.0.5, android 4.4.2 on a moto x).

It used to be that any gifs showed a "GIF" box, and if I pressed the gif, a little menu asked me if I wanted it to show inline, view in browser, or download.
Now, the GIF box still shows, but when I press it, it automatically opens it in a browser. I'd rather be asked every time, if possible, and I usually choose "show inline" anyway.

Did I accidentally touch a "always do this" option or something?
I looked through the awful app settings and couldn't find one that seemed relevant. And I'm not sure what else may have changed - I don't recall an update coinciding with this.

Any thoughts on this? Or did a recent update make "open in browser" always be the case?

Btw, I love the awful app and want to thank all the contributors while I'm posting here!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

alnilam posted:

I have a quick support question about displaying gifs (using app 3.0.5, android 4.4.2 on a moto x).

It used to be that any gifs showed a "GIF" box, and if I pressed the gif, a little menu asked me if I wanted it to show inline, view in browser, or download.
Now, the GIF box still shows, but when I press it, it automatically opens it in a browser. I'd rather be asked every time, if possible, and I usually choose "show inline" anyway.

I looked through the awful app settings and couldn't find one that seemed relevant. And I'm not sure what else may have changed - I don't recall an update coinciding with this.

Any thoughts on this? Or did a recent update make "open in browser" always be the case?

Btw, I love the awful app and want to thank all the contributors while I'm posting here!

Always open URL applies to URLs and images (so GIFs too). You need to find the Setting "Always open links" and uncheck it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sereri posted:

Always open URL applies to URLs and images (so GIFs too). You need to find the Setting "Always open links" and uncheck it.

Thanks, that did it!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

alnilam posted:

Sereri posted:

I was actually wondering this too, so thanks!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I recently got a new phone, HTC one m8, and it has a few different fonts. I set it to Helvetica because I really like it. Everything in the app is in Helvetica except the thread view.

Can it be made to use the system font instead of whatever it uses now?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
this post is quoting the one above it, and inserts a space for a blank [fixed] tag block in the middle of a word, even though the post it quoted does not display a space in the same word

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I used to browse the YouTube thread in GBS to queue up a bunch of videos through Chromecast. I haven't done this in a few months and now it doesn't seem to be working very well. I can click on a Youtube link, which opens the app and then casts it to my TV. If I try to open any further links while the first video is playing it errors out and won't open the "Add to Queue" dialogue box. If I wait for the first video to completely finish I can open up a new video via a link, but can't queue. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Sereri posted:

Did any of you try the black box build I posted on Thursday?

I had been having problems with black boxes popping up every few (4-6) pages after updating the app recently, so I downloaded and used the fix last night. It seemed to work at first, but I just had the boxes pop up again after reading for about half an hour (about fifteen pages).

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Lite, but I used to run the app on a HTC Google G2 for hours and never had a problem.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Hey guys what's the setting for keeping the scroll position after I click in some link that takes me to Chrome? I always find that I'm at the top of the page for some reason.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

When I click a link in a post that goes to another thread, what's the way to get back to the post that contained the link?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

When I click a link in a post that goes to another thread, what's the way to get back to the post that contained the link?
The Back button doesn't do this?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LastInLine posted:

The Back button doesn't do this?

Looks like it does, but I need to get out of immersion mode for it to show up first apparently. Swiping left to right takes me back to bookmarks rather than the previous thread.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nth Doctor posted:

Looks like it does, but I need to get out of immersion mode for it to show up first apparently. Swiping left to right takes me back to bookmarks rather than the previous thread.

That is the expected behavior.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently I've noticed that images hosted on minus don't load. I'm on my home wifi, and they load fine in my computer.

Pattycakes
May 12, 2014

WHO WANTS A PATTYCAKE!?!

hooah posted:

Recently I've noticed that images hosted on minus don't load. I'm on my home wifi, and they load fine in my computer.

I have had this problem too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minus has never worked on Awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Gotta munge your referer [sic]!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Is it just large gifs on minus

or do static images work fine?

e: I posted those images on my desktop, both of those images load on my phone, even with wifi off.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 31, 2014