Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Honestly, I'm just annoyed with the total bait-and-switch of Rhino. Especially since he's been plastered all over the marketing. Still, the nods to Doc Ock and Vulture were pretty cool. And Gwen dying got genuine gasps out of the showing I was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair, I don't think we should thought of Max like a good guy. He was pretty unhinged before turning into Electro, he was just much of a coward to do what he really wanted to do.

Harry on the other hand was predictable and something out of a comicbook (or as Baron Bifford says, a cartoon), things wouldn't gotten so bad if Peter would've been honest with him since the beginning. I did found awfully convenient that his genetic defect made him goblin-like though.

I felt the same, he was ready to snap at any moment. His obsession with the super hero talking to himself as the super hero... Basically he was always pushed around and walked over he looked up to Spidey because that's what he wanted, to be liked and people to know him.

If it wasn't for the eels I feel he would have pulled out a gun and started killing people in the office...

I understand the hate as well, he was finally in the lime light then Spidey took it away when he showed up... He instantly saw his fame and then saw it taken away.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think Jamie Foxx really sold the character despite the silliness of his lines. Electro is one of the better villains of the Spider-Man movies.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

They were going to kill her in Season 3.

So I guess her last safe refuge is the Ultimate universe. Well, kind of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Nah, she's dead there too. There's just a creepy clone with a different eye color who everyone pretends is her.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Senjuro posted:

Well, I mean, she didn't die in Spider-Man 3 at least.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, she's dead there too. There's just a creepy clone with a different eye color who everyone pretends is her.

Hence the kind of.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ah, I missed the colomn on the right with Europe. Why do they release so much earlier than Asia and the Americas? Doesn't that just encourage piracy?

There are a lot of ideas about this. Right now, studios think that a staggered release could generate hype and build momentum for the North American release, and that more than makes up for giving people more time to poo poo out horrible cam releases overseas. It makes sense when you consider that the studio receives most of its revenue from the NA release, and gets a higher cut during the first couple weeks. They want to do everything they can to get the biggest opening weekend numbers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Plus Europe still gets hosed with most releases anyway. It's not unheard of that a Disney/Pixar release will be out on Blu-Ray before it gets released over here. I remember watching Donnie Darko the weekend it came out over here, and then when I got home I ordered the R1 release.

Hopefully that window is getting smaller now because more often than not there's no real reason to separate the releases. Sure a week or so is fine, but months? I don't get it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Jamie Foxx really sold the character despite the silliness of his lines. Electro is one of the better villains of the Spider-Man movies.

Yeah, he had a truly logical motive to hate Spidey at least, which makes him better than most of the other Spider-Man movie villains.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So. Is there a part in the trailers where Harry is telling Peter that Oscorp had him under surveilance that they just never showed in the movie? Or am I going crazy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Affi posted:

So. Is there a part in the trailers where Harry is telling Peter that Oscorp had him under surveilance that they just never showed in the movie? Or am I going crazy?

Deleted scenes make it into trailers but not finished movies all the time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I had to groan at the scene in which Harry easily dispatches two prison guards and makes it to Electro's cell. I know nameless guards are supposed to be easy but this is a teenager with a terminal illness!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Amazing Spider-man 2 is what you get when you mix the 60's spidey cartoon with the new Ultimate one. A massive mess with no direction and characters that act like idiots, not to mention scenes that exist simply to add drama just because drama needs to exist in a movie, I guess.

The movie switched directions from the first one in such a radical way that I was honestly baffled as I left the theater. Well, what had me most baffled was probably seeing an actual trailer for another movie instead of a lead-in to the next one appear after the credits

Edit:Also, on a related note, where was that stuff about Season 3 of Spectacular Spider-man written, again? Did they just prep some scripts in advance of the show's cancellation?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 22, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This is a weird movie, its not a complete loving mess like I suspected but its not great either, there were times when I felt like I was watching a really ambitious episode of a spiderman cartoon rather than movie.

I didn't feel like Electros heel turn was forced at all, Jamie Fox plays him well enough like someone who was on the verge of snapping anyway. The guy who plays Harry did a similar decent job with bad material.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Edit:Also, on a related note, where was that stuff about Season 3 of Spectacular Spider-man written, again? Did they just prep some scripts in advance of the show's cancellation?

They didn't have any scripts done, but the show runner has done several interviews talking about what their plans were. I'm really sad we're never going to see that shows version of Hobgoblin or Carnage.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think tonally this Spider-Man movie is a lot like the Reeves Superman movies. Cartoonish lines, hammy villains, the crowds that cheer like they're watching a sporting match, etc. Does anyone agree?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I think tonally this Spider-Man movie is a lot like the Reeves Superman movies. Cartoonish lines, hammy villains, the crowds that cheer like they're watching a sporting match, etc. Does anyone agree?

Sort of, but they keep trying to shove in stuff from newer, worse movies. If it was just trying to stick to one theme it would do a lot better, but such a tonal shift between the first and second movie really hurts what it is trying to do.

Really sad that we won't see a third season of Spectacular, but the thing with Gwen I really wasn't looking forward to. Mainly since I want people to stop re-using old plotlines from the comics and just run some new themes and events that interest them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

It reminded me a bit of the Schumacher Batman movies with all the neon and mad comic book science. Not that this is such a bad thing, I think the heightened silliness and tiny flashes of camp really work for the movie.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It reminded me a bit of the Schumacher Batman movies with all the neon and mad comic book science. Not that this is such a bad thing, I think the heightened silliness and tiny flashes of camp really work for the movie.

It worked much better than the drama, that's for sure! Which is kind of unfortunate since I actually liked most of the serious bits in the first movie. Honestly, at this point I'd prefer if they went all in with the camp and silliness for the third movie since they pretty much nailed that aspect of the comic.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I had to wonder just how Peter's Dad could build that fancy subway station lab. He doesn't have Batman's money, and who did he contract to build it?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I had to wonder just how Peter's Dad could build that fancy subway station lab. He doesn't have Batman's money, and who did he contract to build it?

Laundered Oscorp money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

evilmiera posted:

Sort of, but they keep trying to shove in stuff from newer, worse movies. If it was just trying to stick to one theme it would do a lot better, but such a tonal shift between the first and second movie really hurts what it is trying to do.

Really sad that we won't see a third season of Spectacular, but the thing with Gwen I really wasn't looking forward to. Mainly since I want people to stop re-using old plotlines from the comics and just run some new themes and events that interest them.

Ultimate universe realized that they should not hvr killed Gwen, and they brought her back. The universe is better for it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The soundtrack to this movie is goddamn weird. I think I like it, but I am not 100% on that. I will give it credit for being more interesting than James Horner's boring-rear end "heard this a thousand times" work on the first film.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

When you preorder the ASM 2 game at GameStop, you have the chance to get 2 free tickets to the ASM 2 movie.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/buy-the-amazing-spider-man-2-at-gamestop-and-you-could-get-tickets-to-the-movie/1100-6419179/

It's first come, first served basis so you may want to come early.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was the only one, in a totally packed cinema, who laughed at the WRONG!!! moment. I felt like such a dork.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was the only one that laughed at the "tables have turned" gag...

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Comics... I wouldn't think about it too much. You are weird if you DON'T have some sort of secret lab.

Even the Dark Knight trilogy had plenty of 'comic books' moments.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
No, it's not the logic that I question, I just don't think it really fits the character. I don't think Peter's father should be some sort of super-spy archetype.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

No, it's not the logic that I question, I just don't think it really fits the character. I don't think Peter's father should be some sort of super-spy archetype.

You're aware that the Parkers were super-spies on the comics, right? The movie version is way toned down.

If anything, I'm bothered by how easy they kicked Harry out from Oscorp.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone else find it funny that the last shot of the movie is in all the marketing! it's in the trailer and it's the main image I'm seeing posted everywhere at the moment.

You and someone else brought this up, details?

VVVV Oddly I had a feeling that was it. You can tell from the trailer it reeks of it.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 25, 2014

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

iSheep posted:

You and someone else brought this up, details?

It's the one with Spidey attacking Rhino with the pothole cover. I felt the movie was a kind of a mess, but a really fascinating at that. Everything from the schizophrenic soundtrack, the villains hamming it up, action scenes being almost 100% CGI and the wildly shifting tone was so out of control. At least it wasn't as by the numbers and safe as some other recent comic-book movies. Such a beautiful trainwreck.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2014

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ThermoPhysical posted:

When you preorder the ASM 2 game at GameStop, you have the chance to get 2 free tickets to the ASM 2 movie.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/buy-the-amazing-spider-man-2-at-gamestop-and-you-could-get-tickets-to-the-movie/1100-6419179/

It's first come, first served basis so you may want to come early.

Do theaters allow passes on release dates?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Do theaters allow passes on release dates?

Depends on the theater, but most big chains do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've always used my passes on release dates. I saw the last Spider-Man film that way, as well as the new RoboCop.

But yes, check your theaters. Some don't even take the passes for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I've always used my passes on release dates. I saw the last Spider-Man film that way, as well as the new RoboCop.

But yes, check your theaters. Some don't even take the passes for some reason.

Also actually call them. A lot of show times will say "no passes" but they will actually take them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You're aware that the Parkers were super-spies on the comics, right? The movie version is way toned down.

If anything, I'm bothered by how easy they kicked Harry out from Oscorp.
Not until today. It still sounds lame.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think I missed a joke when he's fighting Electro in the power station and for like ten seconds there's a tune playing as he gets bounced from pylon to pylon and he says "I hate that song." What song was it?

VVV Hahah okay that's pretty good.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 25, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pierson posted:

I think I missed a joke when he's fighting Electro in the power station and for like ten seconds there's a tune playing as he gets bounced from pylon to pylon and he says "I hate that song." What song was it?

Incy Wincy Spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Saw it the other day. Some random spoilery thoughts from who's never really read a comic in his life:

What's up with Oscorp special projects? There's literally a row of cabinets full of prebuilt-superhero kits. One for Goblin, one for Ock, one for Rhino, and some wings that are apparently something called Vulture judging by this thread. That's one Origin Story that's going to get split between four guys right there, and it's not exactly an interesting one to begin with.
Speaking of origins, what was even up with Peter's father's video? He put his own DNA into the thing, so "it" won't work for anyone else? Did he mean the stuff couldn't be manufactured without him, or it wouldn't work on anyone else? Did the spider venom turn Harry into the goblin because it didn't work, or because it did but it conflicted with the other disease he had?

Spidey being a wonderful irreverent loudmouth bastard was probably best in the opening scene with the truck full of stolen Oscorp Uranium that didn't get mentioned again.
The comic book science was a bit on the nose, with the Uranium that apparently detonates if you look at it funny and all that bullshit about batteries and magnets and electric webs.
By the end, Electro was basically incorporeal 90% of the time, so the whole scene of physical violence kind of went nowhere and ate CGI dick. Gwen wound up reversing the polarity of the neutron flow to kill him, which was a bit poo poo.
The bit where Spidey fans all around the world know that Gwen is doomed to die or something was very nicely handled, with it looking like she's hosed before Peter barely nails the one in a million shot that catches her at the very last second... then the web stretching an extra metre or so before it became taut.

Oh yeah, and there wasn't enough Denis Leary.

• Locked thread