Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Get the biggest jar of peanut butter you can find and keep it in/on your desk. It's crazy filling, decent for you, and delicious. Great for a snack, or can decently cover nutrition should you forget your lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

SiGmA_X posted:

drat, almost 2mo, good work! I usually bring lunch to work, but bought lunch twice this week due to homework load / lack of planning ahead :( Why this is especially dumb? I have a handful of frozen vacuum sealed meals in my freezer. I keep forgetting to grab one and a larger Pyrex storage bowl to reheat it in!! FFS!

I almost cracked again last night / this morning because I was busy painting last night and almost used that as excuse, but I stayed strong!

You reminded me that I need to cook up a pan of lasagna and freeze it. Love left over lasagna!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Well, even after having to drop 700 dollars on my god drat mouth getting fixed, I still have more net worth than I did last month. By 200 dollars, but still!

May will be awesome though. I get my stock 15% off that i've put away 8% of my total take home to, and less expenses to deal with now that it's summer. But I gotta budget for the steam sale :ohdear:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Veskit posted:

Well, even after having to drop 700 dollars on my god drat mouth getting fixed, I still have more net worth than I did last month. By 200 dollars, but still!

May will be awesome though. I get my stock 15% off that i've put away 8% of my total take home to, and less expenses to deal with now that it's summer. But I gotta budget for the steam sale :ohdear:

No don't:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I almost cracked again last night / this morning because I was busy painting last night and almost used that as excuse, but I stayed strong!

You reminded me that I need to cook up a pan of lasagna and freeze it. Love left over lasagna!
Bookmarked! I love lasagna and I have never made it before. I should try it! Mmm cheese and red sauce, and other things.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DW, I have heavy hour games left to play still. I'm 40 into Bravely default, still have all of monster hunter 3u, and I'm a lol player. I have 5-10 games I want during the big sale and that'll hold me till christmas :unsmith:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I'm confused...why doesn't he? Is it because most people don't play the games they buy (other than the top ones)?

I don't disagree that a lot of people piss away their money on video games, though, if that's what you're getting at. My friends are all 25-26 year old manchildren who blow all their money on eating out, weed and video games - not necessarily in that order (wake & bake is a priority).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm confused...why doesn't he? Is it because most people don't play the games they buy (other than the top ones)?

I don't disagree that a lot of people piss away their money on video games, though, if that's what you're getting at. My friends are all 25-26 year old manchildren who blow all their money on eating out, weed and video games - not necessarily in that order (wake & bake is a priority).

The games on steam sale do not nearly give you the dollars per hours that the others give.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I don't regret buying Skyrim at full price, just Bioshock Infinite. My library has about 10 games total. Most of which are little games that I would probably play more if I had the time.

Right now I'm playing metroid fusion again. I built a gaming PC and most of the time I end up playing "free" games that could run on my work computer without any issues.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 24, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I've got 341 titles across 4 Steam accounts (many, many overlapping game titles).

I just bought accounts from people who needed money. I'm pretty sure that I spent less than $500 for the accounts.

The multiple accounts is nice also because it's easy to share with my brothers.

You know what's not nice about the accounts? Having a child. I haven't played any video games since before my daughter arrived.

:mad:

Still worth it. :)

edit-
here's someone selling an account with 288 games for $100 bucks.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624350

Juanito fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 24, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

I've turned on people in the GBS work crew to the best of BFCs and putting more money into roth iras and 401ks. I thought this was funny though.

Thats hilarious, I want to post but I kind of want to lurk instead and see what conclusions they come to when they think I'm not looking.

Like the guy who asked if I was growing pot. I was very clear on that, dammit! :mad:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

Thats hilarious, I want to post but I kind of want to lurk instead and see what conclusions they come to when they think I'm not looking.

Like the guy who asked if I was growing pot. I was very clear on that, dammit! :mad:

He's 80% of the way there. Truth be told I told him to read Cornholios thread but I literally just finished it and oohhh boy that one was a doozey. Almost teared up at the end though, it was beautiful. gently caress I can't wait to pay down my loving debt I hate hate hate haaateee it.

I hate my debt more than I love my new job. I loving love my job god damnit.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm starting to love my current job, it took 4 years but I'm actually quite happy.

I've technically gone into a little bit of debt but it's all at 0%, once the move happens it won't take me very long to pay it all down.

Most of the games I end up playing are either free or I replay an old favorite (it seems like every time I come back to Skyrim there's a bunch of mods that make the game more interesting) since I literally have hundreds of old favorites.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 24, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
On work week lunches: I load up on ramen when they go on sale and stash them at my desk.

Tuyop, don't buy a boat. Boats are terrible for you. Remember when you hated your car because it was costing you a fortune and always needed repairs? Boats are like that but also, sewage.

Trust me, I used to live on much bigger boats than you'll ever buy, and even those sucked to live on (Pay was decent though, goddamn do I miss making ~70k for six months of work. Going home almost every night is worth it though.)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'll never want a boat. I have no love for rivers and boats just remind me of having to go clamming/oystering on the weekends when I was a kid. There's nothing worse than standing waist deep in freezing water, in an itchy wet suit and pulling a rake all day.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 24, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I have a nice aluminum canoe at my parent's house that they gave to me, I just haven't figured how to get it back up to my house yet. I was just looking this morning on amazon for roof racks and whatnot for my truck but everything is "too loving expensive".

This has not been a good week for eating in at work. Tuesday was my wife's b-day so we went to lunch, yesterday there was a charity luncheon at work that we donated money towards, and tonight I'm taking my best friend out for dinner for his upcoming birthday.

I've also been thinking about buy a brand new car in the next few months. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO MEEEEEEE?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a nice aluminum canoe at my parent's house that they gave to me, I just haven't figured how to get it back up to my house yet. I was just looking this morning on amazon for roof racks and whatnot for my truck but everything is "too loving expensive".

http://www.mec.ca/product/5010-236/sherpak-deluxe-universal-canoe-kit/

If you're handy with ropes and your car has lashing lugs on the chassis (Lots of cars have or at least used to have them for shipment overseas, look for solid rings on each side of your car back and front, under and inside the bumper) you can get away with four $3.75 foam blocks and $10 worth of ropes. poo poo a couple of hold foam mattresses, 2x4's and straps and you can make a DIY roof rack that'll hold two canoes. You don't need an actual roof rack.

Don't strap the paddles to the inside of the canoe, though. You might think it's a good idea; I assure you it's not. The canoe turns into a giant whistle once you hit the highway.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No get a year old one at least what are you doing :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^agree but in Denver the Subaru market is crazy. I will pay $2-3k more for a brand new car with more tech in it. I was looking at an 08 Impreza hatchback and they sold it for $12,500. I brand new one with more in it is only $21000... Heck they sell '12's for like $17500+.

dreesemonkey posted:

This has not been a good week for eating in at work. Tuesday was my wife's b-day so we went to lunch, yesterday there was a charity luncheon at work that we donated money towards, and tonight I'm taking my best friend out for dinner for his upcoming birthday.

I've also been thinking about buy a brand new car in the next few months. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO MEEEEEEE?

Just wait till REI has a 20% off sale on Thule or Yakima racks.

Also I might be buying a new car this weekend... What am I thinking?!? Unfortunately I have to do something though, the little 02 Saturn can't handle my needs. My wife will be living in Vail for the next 30 months (I will live in Denver) and would like to still be able to ski and see her as much as possible.

Did I mention she has a '13 Ford escape? I guess I can maybe never have to buy a car again?

:(

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5010-236/sherpak-deluxe-universal-canoe-kit/

If you're handy with ropes and your car has lashing lugs on the chassis (Lots of cars have or at least used to have them for shipment overseas, look for solid rings on each side of your car back and front, under and inside the bumper) you can get away with four $3.75 foam blocks and $10 worth of ropes. poo poo a couple of hold foam mattresses, 2x4's and straps and you can make a DIY roof rack that'll hold two canoes. You don't need an actual roof rack.

Don't strap the paddles to the inside of the canoe, though. You might think it's a good idea; I assure you it's not. The canoe turns into a giant whistle once you hit the highway.

I think I could get something rigged up, my main concern is that it's an hour or so away from me and it's basically all highway speeds back to my place. Just makes me a little weary. I was behind a van once on the highway that had a canoe slide off the side of it, at highway speeds and dragged next to the van. At least they pulled over right away.

Nail Rat posted:

No get a year old one at least what are you doing :(

I know :( We're considering a hyundai sonata strictly because of the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty. There is a high volume dealer a few hours away that none of the local dealers can touch in terms of cost $18k + tax/tags, so ~$19,400 OTD for the no frills model. About $1k more for one with the "popular equipment package", which I would probably get. We could technically pay cash, but I would finance about half at 1.49%/36 months. It's less than $200 in interest if we waited that long to pay it off. If we went with a nice used accord or something, we'd be paying around $15-17k (plus tax/tags), and have pretty much no warranty left.

We kinda "need" a bigger car because my we're expecting child #2, and the only way our first kid's infant seat fit in our civic was in the middle seat in the back. That won't work with my son's carseat next to it. Infant seats are loving huge. We have a '99 toyota avalon as well, but it has 160k on it and I don't know that I want to rely on that for our daily driver. For the few thousand more buying new over used, I think it's worth the peace of mind since we're planning on having no more kids and keeping the car at least until the warranty period runs out.

Selling our civic and saving money/paying down the car loan, we should be able to pay off the car before the end of the yearish.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

dreesemonkey posted:

Just makes me a little weary.

:eng101: "Wary" is the word you are looking for.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

:eng101: "Wary" is the word you are looking for.

Nope, literally tired you big jerk!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I think I could get something rigged up, my main concern is that it's an hour or so away from me and it's basically all highway speeds back to my place. Just makes me a little weary. I was behind a van once on the highway that had a canoe slide off the side of it, at highway speeds and dragged next to the van. At least they pulled over right away.

Four blocks, mid strap, v-straps front and back, and you can take the highway no problem. Take the first exit, stop, tighten up anything that got loose or started vibrating and you're good all the way home.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Four blocks, mid strap, v-straps front and back, and you can take the highway no problem. Take the first exit, stop, tighten up anything that got loose or started vibrating and you're good all the way home.

Seconding this, I've strapped canoes to the roof of my truck multiple times with a similar kit. 70-80 mph for 1-2 hours at a time with no real issues. Only problems I had was vibration from the straps causing a droning noise, but you can readjust them easily.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So my wife is leaving for Vail for 30ish months and this leaves me with a huge house to myself. It is kind of in the burbs but in a pretty nice location relative to Denver, boulder, and golden. She will be home on some weekends and I will be up in Vail on most.

I haven't had a roommate in 8 years... Should I get a roommate? I figure I can get $500-600 a month for a room. Plus they can use all my stuff. But I have all my stuff and it is mine and I don't know how much I want someone being around my stuff. I would need to actually lock up my finance stuff, not leave money laying around, I am afraid of terrible people and people who will try to steal from me. But the money would be nice!

What should I do?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Last June I set some 12 month financial goals for myself and I'm going to hit the last one tonight when my paycheck clears!

Its hard to believe that 10 months ago I had no job, no car, no retirement, $200 in savings, and $8000 in student loan debt. As of tonight I'll be employed, with a car, 13k in retirement, a $10k emergency fund, and no debt. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

So my wife is leaving for Vail for 30ish months and this leaves me with a huge house to myself. It is kind of in the burbs but in a pretty nice location relative to Denver, boulder, and golden. She will be home on some weekends and I will be up in Vail on most.

I haven't had a roommate in 8 years... Should I get a roommate? I figure I can get $500-600 a month for a room. Plus they can use all my stuff. But I have all my stuff and it is mine and I don't know how much I want someone being around my stuff. I would need to actually lock up my finance stuff, not leave money laying around, I am afraid of terrible people and people who will try to steal from me. But the money would be nice!

What should I do?

Are you serious? Don't be so paranoid, it's just stuff and the risk is pretty slim that someone will gently caress with it while the reward is a 100% chance of like $500/month. Most people aren't terrible and will be pretty considerate. :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I know it is not rational. Just haven't had a roommate in so long... If they put one knife in the dishwasher I swear there will be hell to pay!

But yeah I probably will just do it. Free money and all

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Is something like airbnb.com an option? Would be more infrequent guests for more money, possibly?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I think airbnb would be nice because it would you give more flexibility. You could block off dates that you wouldn't want to have people around, instead of having someone there long-term. It requires you to be a bit more of a host though, clean stuff up before a new guest, etc. But you could require 2+ day minimum stays.

You guys who know about strapping a canoe to a vehicle.. what about a kayak to a Toyota Corolla with no roof rack? Any experience with that.. it seems feasible from what I see online, but doesn't feel safe. I don't know if the kayak being lighter than a canoe is a positive or negative.

I'd be able to save a lot of money buying a kayak later on instead of doing hourly/daily rentals.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

I think airbnb would be nice because it would you give more flexibility. You could block off dates that you wouldn't want to have people around, instead of having someone there long-term. It requires you to be a bit more of a host though, clean stuff up before a new guest, etc. But you could require 2+ day minimum stays.

You guys who know about strapping a canoe to a vehicle.. what about a kayak to a Toyota Corolla with no roof rack? Any experience with that.. it seems feasible from what I see online, but doesn't feel safe. I don't know if the kayak being lighter than a canoe is a positive or negative.

I'd be able to save a lot of money buying a kayak later on instead of doing hourly/daily rentals.

I strapped a canoe and a kayak to the roof of my Mazda 3 a few years ago. No roof rack, I just used those foam things and strapped it down hard.

It dented and scratched my roof a little, of course. :doh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Seconding this, I've strapped canoes to the roof of my truck multiple times with a similar kit. 70-80 mph for 1-2 hours at a time with no real issues. Only problems I had was vibration from the straps causing a droning noise, but you can readjust them easily.

Twist the straps. I don't know why or how, but in my experience having a few twists in the straps really cut down on the noise.

tuyop posted:

I strapped a canoe and a kayak to the roof of my Mazda 3 a few years ago. No roof rack, I just used those foam things and strapped it down hard.

It dented and scratched my roof a little, of course. :doh:

I don't understand people who get all emotional about scratches in their cars. It's a tool; using it is going to wear it down over time, unless you treat it as a museum piece. Just get one of those paint pens and fill up the scratch for rust-proofing, problem solved.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I will check out air bnb but not sure my location is perfect fit that to work out well. Plus I am out most of the time on weekends. Roommate might be the best bet.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Twist the straps. I don't know why or how, but in my experience having a few twists in the straps really cut down on the noise.

I don't understand people who get all emotional about scratches in their cars. It's a tool; using it is going to wear it down over time, unless you treat it as a museum piece. Just get one of those paint pens and fill up the scratch for rust-proofing, problem solved.

Well, for a lot of people it's a prized possession and we're often judged on how we treat our possessions because it's the only thing a lot of people have to judge us on. They don't know if we call our mothers every Sunday or not. I wish it wasn't that way, but...society.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Confirming: Vanguard isn't a brokerage, can't trade through them, right?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Paying off my credit card debt this month. Now onto student loans. Also going to buy a car in cash. Thank you BFC.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Juanito posted:

My wife uses foam blocks + straps to haul her kayak around on top of a 97 Geo Prizm, which is basically a Corolla of the same vintage. Roof's a little dented, but it's a 17 year old car so we don't really care.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Cicero posted:

I have seen the place on the their site to open a vanguard brokerage account but I have no idea what the fees are for anything. There is probably not a catchy gotcha sign up bonus though

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Cicero posted:

Vanguard is a brokerage firm. You can trade through them, but unless you hit the voyager/flagship levels, commissions are super high 20 bucks I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Bloody Queef posted:

Vanguard is a brokerage firm. You can trade through them, but unless you hit the voyager/flagship levels, commissions are super high 20 bucks I think

You can trade their ETFs without that fee, I believe.