Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Great British Menu, gently caress me. I enjoy the format and the food looks lovely, but I am sick to death of a pretentious michelin starred chef asking another pretentious michelin starred chef if his plate of fish 'really tells the story of D-Day?'. No, it doesn't, you moron, and it never could.

Put some loving ration boxes over every plate and put some helmets and fake tins of spam next to it to remind the old fuckers how poo poo everything was, you cunts.

They've hosed it up by having such a narrow brief, they're going to get 80 different takes on fish and chips by the end of it because what else can you do for a wartime fish course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Total Meatlove posted:

They've hosed it up by having such a narrow brief, they're going to get 80 different takes on fish and chips by the end of it because what else can you do for a wartime fish course?

Commercial sea fishing was severely curtailed during the war by U-boats and other threats, cod, haddock and other open sea fisheries were barely touched (and actually experienced enormous population recovery). Anything involving commercially fished sea fish is the antithesis of WWII food.

If it were me I'd do something with river fish, inshore shellfish or other less commercial, more inventive sources. Wild river fish with various forraged herbs and woodland plants like wild garlic would be a pretty cool allusion to people having to seek alternative food sources and live off the land because of reduced food imports.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 23, 2014

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Fatkraken posted:

Commercial sea fishing was severely curtailed during the war by U-boats and other threats, cod, haddock and other open sea fisheries were barely touched (and actually experienced enormous population recovery). Anything involving commercially fished sea fish is the antithesis of WWII food.

If it were me I'd do something with river fish, inshore shellfish or other less commercial, more inventive sources. Wild river fish with various forraged herbs and woodland plants like wild garlic would be a pretty cool allusion to people having to seek alternative food sources and live off the land because of reduced food imports.

serve cockles and mussels and everyone can stand up and have a singsong.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

I think that place is a tanning salon now, it seems to change a lot anyway.

Sorry mate.

Crayfish fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 23, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
RIP

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If anyone missed yesterday's British Gardens in Time they missed an interview with a lunatic. His love of orchids dwarfs any feelings you or I might have. After being drawn by them to a mountain guarded by armed guerrillas, who kidnapped him. He was sustained during this 9 month ordeal by a book of orchid illustrations, and the chance to see rare species from his prison. Also there was a ludicrously expensive garden, and a wall which fitted fossil specimens into the days of creation.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Total Meatlove posted:

I'm waiting for someone to do chips made out of fish and a fish-shaped potato chip.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

WastedJoker posted:

I'm waiting for someone to do chips made out of fish and a fish-shaped potato chip.

Tinned Pilchards/Sardines. Or jellied eels for the London heats. HAs there been a 'desconstructed' fish and chips yet? There must have been.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Dig for Victory? That sounds like a wonderful idea for a starter. Maybe even add a bit of escargot as a cheeky joke? x 400

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So uh, I watched Hyperdrive on Netflix. It is pretty nice and amusing but I never knew it existed until this last day or so.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
It came out around the same time as that thing with Rob Brydon being an astronomer in the Australian outback that was similarly amusing enough but not really memorable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A shame really Hyperdrive must have had quite a big budget attached to it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only thing I remember about Hyperdrive is the joke about "Gary Neville Day", which I still kind of love.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is Fargo (the show) worth watching? I know its not UK TV but it looks pretty good with a decent cast.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Ratjaculation posted:

Is Fargo (the show) worth watching? I know its not UK TV but it looks pretty good with a decent cast.

I've heard it is really good. I'm not sure what is going to happen though since Martin Freeman is only in it for 10 episodes. Maybe it's an anthology show a la True Detectives?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

According to the wiki its going to be an anthology show, which should be fun.

The first episode was genuinely amazing though. It follows the route of the movie by walking that line between the serious and the comedic and does it incredibly well.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
So, Derek has started again. Has anyone bothered to watch it? I watched all of the last series out of some kind of masochism, hating every episode and enjoying slating it online. Don't know if I can be arsed this time around but I'd sort of like to keep up with it just to see how bad Gervais can get

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I've never sat through an episode of Derek but it gets a begrudging pass from me purely because it introduced me to That Bloke Who Plays Kev and his funny internet radio show.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cheers guys, going to give it Fargo a late watch now.

Also Channel 4 continues to have the best news by far.

Today had a Lib-Dem knob saying that the public still trust the party and that Nick Clegg is still respected as its leader, some banker-bonus defending knob being stupid and Prince Charles being unsure if he is ethnically Cornish.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I thought he was more Plant and crazy German really. Dude has one hell of an identity crisis.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Fargo is excellent, yes, watch it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Paperhouse posted:

So, Derek has started again. Has anyone bothered to watch it? I watched all of the last series out of some kind of masochism, hating every episode and enjoying slating it online. Don't know if I can be arsed this time around but I'd sort of like to keep up with it just to see how bad Gervais can get

I watched it having hated the last series

Hated it again. There was 1 laugh it got, one of Kevs lines.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
When I watch it all I see and hear is Ricky Gervais doing a stupid jaw thing and adding superfluous S's onto verbs. I loves that dog *stupid jaw face thing* I loves it, I do *looks to camera with stupid jutting out jaw*. gently caress off!!!!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Paperhouse posted:

When I watch it all I see and hear is Ricky Gervais doing a stupid jaw thing and adding superfluous S's onto verbs. I loves that dog *stupid jaw face thing* I loves it, I do *looks to camera with stupid jutting out jaw*. gently caress off!!!!

I cannot abide Gervais, so I haven't watched it (can't even stand the adverts) but from them it seems like its just depending on laughing at mentally ill people, with just enough pathos that it isn't retard blackface. Is that about the size of it?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I think it could work if he'd found a more talented performer instead of casting himself in the role. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with having a mentally ill comedy character if it's done with care. The way Gervais plays it is indeed a bit stomach churning

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Trickjaw posted:

I cannot abide Gervais, so I haven't watched it (can't even stand the adverts) but from them it seems like its just depending on laughing at mentally ill people, with just enough pathos that it isn't retard blackface. Is that about the size of it?
About right. Except there's hardly anything to laugh at. He tries to be endearing, I guess, but fails horribly.

It only shows that without Merchant Gervais is just really annoying. Merchant's 'Hello, Ladies' was head and shoulders above everything that Gervais spouted in five years.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Ratjaculation posted:

It's on Channel 4 the Sunday after it's broadcast on FX in America.

Also it's quality. I'm loving it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Dicky B posted:

I think it could work if he'd found a more talented performer instead of casting himself in the role. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with having a mentally ill comedy character if it's done with care. The way Gervais plays it is indeed a bit stomach churning

Gervais playing the main character isn't even the main problem really, they could cast Daniel Day-Lewis in that role and the show would still be awful because it's so heavy handed and trite and badly done. The last episode of the series was particularly embarrassing, in which the pathos was incredibly and appallingly unearned and platitudinous and manipulative. Gervais actually said that episode was the best thing he'd ever done, which I find hilarious. Unless he's taking the piss he has absolutely lost the plot. I agree with whoever said Hello Ladies was much better, and even then I didn't think it was great, but it was leagues better than Derek

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh, I watched Hyperdrive on Netflix. It is pretty nice and amusing but I never knew it existed until this last day or so.

It had the misfortune of coming out before Frost or Hart were big names. Frost was starting to gain some traction as 'the bloke from Spaced's mate' post-Shaun Of The Dead, and Miranda hadn't quite broken through yet. And sadly Kevin Eldon's never quite been able to find a vehicle to make him a proper star, despite him being consistently good at getting laughs no matter what material is given to him.

Plus any BBC2 sci-fi sitcom is going to get compared to the heyday of Red Dwarf, and it's just not a fair comparison.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

Gervais actually said that episode was the best thing he'd ever done, which I find hilarious. Unless he's taking the piss he has absolutely lost the plot.
Last time I looked at his twitter feed he was so far up his own arse, he honestly seemed to think calling his followers twonks or tweeps was a stroke of genius.

The problem is it's difficult to separate Ricky Gervais the media personality from Ricky Gervais the writer. And if anyone calls him out on it, he's worse than a loving hipster at pulling the irony defence.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I wanna join the Garvais Hatewagon!

We should ship him and James Corden to the loving Sun.

So, uh, Martin Freeman does a pretty good accent in Fargo eh?

Also, I blame this place for making me snort when he was drinking a can of Faygo in the hospital :argh:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Last time I looked at his twitter feed he was so far up his own arse, he honestly seemed to think calling his followers twonks or tweeps was a stroke of genius.

To be fair it made a certain subsection of twitter absolutely outraged so it kind of was.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ideally you would secure both them and him in a bag and then throw it in a river.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty much agree with both suggestions again.

I still marvel how Gervais seems to have efficiently caused his fall from grace in such a small amount of time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

onoflalks posted:

It's on Channel 4 the Sunday after it's broadcast on FX in America.

Also it's quality. I'm loving it.

I just kinda wish that channel 4 would lay off the ads for it that update with clips from the latest episode.

I only really watch channel 4 in the morning before work (Everybody loves ray combo at the minute) to escape the drudgery of morning TV on every other channel, but there's an ad for it on every day and it changes week on week with stuff that happened in the previous episode.

Like, who are they trying to target with them at that time?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much agree with both suggestions again.

I still marvel how Gervais seems to have efficiently caused his fall from grace in such a small amount of time.

I have a theory that everything good Gervais was in was good DESPITE him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

At least we got Merchant though, who I am certain will get better with time.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Eh, in Extras you could say that because he played the more understated character and the show was more about everything round him rather than him, but I cant see the Office being as good without him as Brent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least we got Merchant though, who I am certain will get better with time.

Merchant is fantastic, especially in Extras, because Merchant and Shawn Williamson were such a bizarrely incredible double act.