Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
gently caress, I'm actually getting kinda excited over DA:I now. Obviously not excited enough to pre-order, I learned that lesson after DA2. That said, they still have plenty of time to gently caress things up.

As awful as some of ME1's achievements were, they did at least give you a bonus for subsequent playthroughs, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Groetgaffel posted:

gently caress, I'm actually getting kinda excited over DA:I now. Obviously not excited enough to pre-order, I learned that lesson after DA2. That said, they still have plenty of time to gently caress things up.

As awful as some of ME1's achievements were, they did at least give you a bonus for subsequent playthroughs, which is nice.

Which is one reason I did it. And, well, I really enjoyed the game so I made more than a half dozen characters, so I might as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groetgaffel posted:

yeah,same. It seems interesting enough now to give a rent or maybe a buy depending on feed back. a big problem for me is the release date. 2 other games come out the same day, and new arkham the following week. I need to see more combat gameplay first but i admit the party so far looks ok or at least not offensively bad.

Side question: how are the dragon age books? i heard the first two are meh but i heard the third isn't bad and the newest is written by patrick weeks.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Asunder's definitely the best of the first 3, and I actually enjoyed it more than Weekes' book, which also isn't bad. If you only wanted to read one, I'd suggest Asunder.

Or you could read some actually good fiction, and don't make the terrible genre fiction-based mistakes I've made with my life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Policenaut posted:

The ME1 companion achievements were bullshit because they revolved around you dragging two specific characters around for like 75% of the game content. That's at least a few complete playthroughs of the game if you know what you're doing. I much preferred replaying 4 hours of content than dealing with ME1's repeat playthroughs.

Especially bad since one of those characters only comes after the first of the four main quest areas, so you have to ignore everything unnecessary on the Citadel and go directly to said area while still sporting early game garbage. Then you have to take Liara everywhere afterwards and hope you get her achievement.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Looking forward to you all buying this game and then coming in here a week after release to complain about how much it sucked.

I'm 99% sure this won't happen to me simply because when I know a game isn't great, I latch onto the parts I like. And as far as Bioware games go, I've never played one I didn't enjoy. That said, I will happily let people know my thoughts on the game after it comes out if they want to wait.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I'm 99% sure this won't happen to me simply because when I know a game isn't great, I latch onto the parts I like.

OH MY GOD GUYS, THE WATER SHADERS ARE ~!!AMAZING!!~~

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Spikeguy posted:

I'm 99% sure this won't happen to me simply because when I know a game isn't great, I latch onto the parts I like. And as far as Bioware games go, I've never played one I didn't enjoy. That said, I will happily let people know my thoughts on the game after it comes out if they want to wait.

This is why ME3 still has a fairly active multiplayer. Personally I loved making hilarious gore-nadoes in DA2 while looking boss in the Stonehammer set (which has better make a return or get modded in right quick because its the best looking suit of armor in the franchise).

I wonder if they're going to put their their cheat codes into a storefront like they did with the Black Emporium. Oh here's some wizened lich who has become literally a fixture in his chair selling you the ability to remake your face at any time and bonus stat potions if the game's somehow not easy enough already. I loved that goofy little place; mostly because the character creation system in Bioware games never really shows you what a character would look like in game, so once I make someone and start walking around actually playing them I notice "Oh those eyebrows are way too high, when he emotes they practically leave his head" or "wow that complexion didn't look nearly that much like a burn-victim's before."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

OH MY GOD GUYS, THE WATER SHADERS ARE ~!!AMAZING!!~~

QUICK, SOMEBODY IS NOT TOTALLY DOWN IN BIOWARE AND DA:I, I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING TO PREVENT ANYBODY FROM LATCHING ONTO IT.

Why are you even still in the thread? I don't mean that in a "go out of our thread" fashion, I seriously wonder what enjoyment you get from being here.

Anyway, I'm with Spikeguy. If I enjoy parts of a game I will like it in most cases, even if I recognize that it may not be a masterpiece.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Drifter please don't make jokes on something awful dot com.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Clever Spambot posted:

Drifter please don't make jokes on something awful dot com.

I'm sorry that I hurt someone's feelings about a videogame. I had forgotten it's a serious business. I take back my previous comments and will instead add that I, too, hope the ghost is a hidden gay romance-able option (gay is the way if you wanna par-tay).

:negative:

I will strive to be more empathic during my stay here in the forums of SA (Something Awful dot com [forums.somethingawful.com]). :stare: brb going to go preorder it based upon my hopes and dreams.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 24, 2014

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, if you're preordering this game already you deserve to be cuffed on the back of the head moderately hard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, if you're preordering this game already you deserve to be cuffed on the back of the head moderately hard.

wow rude

KoB
May 1, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Even if you're going to preorder before knowing anything substantial about the game, you could at least wait for the inevitable preorder deals from websites. Who pays full price for games anymore?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'm preordering this game AND I hope it's bad, fuckers.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm not preordering and I'm hoping that it turns out fine! Whatcha gonna do, ha?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm preordering every game that isn't Dragon Age out of spite, and I'm CRAAAAAZYYYYY

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Gwendoline Christie tweeted that she had a "great time in the recording booth" for DAI. She plays Brienne of Tarth on Game of Thrones. I hope it's for an Inquisitor, because she rocks!

Tidy Flea
May 2, 2013

Leelee posted:

Gwendoline Christie tweeted that she had a "great time in the recording booth" for DAI. She plays Brienne of Tarth on Game of Thrones. I hope it's for an Inquisitor, because she rocks!

That's awesome, she's my favorite character. I would play Briennquisitor in an instant.

Also, finding something to enjoy even in bad things is a great way to live a happy life, but pre-ordering is still very dumb...does the time value of money mean nothing?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Leelee posted:

Judging by the #HornsUp she's probably voicing a qunari.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

DrakePegasus posted:

Judging by the #HornsUp she's probably voicing a qunari.

Or a heterosexual love interest.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

KoB posted:

Even if you're going to preorder before knowing anything substantial about the game, you could at least wait for the inevitable preorder deals from websites. Who pays full price for games anymore?

Amazon gives you the lowest price anyway. :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

krissycokl posted:

Also, finding something to enjoy even in bad things is a great way to live a happy life, but pre-ordering is still very dumb...does the time value of money mean nothing?

It's not like you give them any money now, even if you do prorder. At least, that's how it works at Amazon, which is the only place I ever preorder stuff from.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am glad that Bioware have not grown out of nerd bait stunt casting.

And on preordering, while I do think this game will probably be good, I haven't preordered anything since my local games shop started asking for a £5 deposit on preorders. I hear that in America people have to pay the full price in advance, madness. A few years back I would just preorder everything that I might possibly be interested in since there was no money down at all.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I also enjoy amazon.co.uk in that sometimes they price the game long before the official pricing comes out and they end up massively lowballing it. I can always cancel before the game comes out if I change my mind or I need the money.

That said (as I already stated) this game is going to get a pass from me until I can find it for a decent price. Which is pretty sad considering DAI made me think this series would be a 'must buy' for a long long time instead of something I'm mildly curious about.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Here's my thought on pre-ordering. I have the money now. Who knows if I will have it tomorrow. And once it's gone it means nothing to me because it would be gone on one thing or another anyway. For what it's worth, I never pre-order in brick and mortars anymore. Only digital.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If things are that bad that you don't know if you'll have it tomorrow, you probably shouldn't be buying videogames in general.

I tend not to preorder because I want to be able to gauge the quality of the finished product for sale, rather than trust a marketing department whose purpose in life is to subtly or blatantly deceive me in order to justify their existence.

All that said, I hope the game's good, because I like a good rpg.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
GMG will also probably have at least a 20% off coupon for when its up there.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I know we all figured out that preordering was a ripoff when we were like 12 but if you are planning to buy before a price drop you might as well do it anyway to get that sick horse armor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think people should spend money how they want to, and of they get screwed over then you can make fun of them. Unless they are people who do like I did after getting screwed on pre-ordering sim city and said they'd never preorder again, then do it anyways.

But I am not preordering because of my experience with SimCity. Hopefully this does turn out good.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Yeah, alot of us are down on Bioware in general, but I don't hope its a bad game. I want more good games, and I hope this turns out to be a good game. I'm optimistic for it atleast, because hoo boy did all the pre release info for DA2 make me not want to buy it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

marktheando posted:

And on preordering, while I do think this game will probably be good, I haven't preordered anything since my local games shop started asking for a £5 deposit on preorders. I hear that in America people have to pay the full price in advance, madness. A few years back I would just preorder everything that I might possibly be interested in since there was no money down at all.

I have never seen an American physical retailer charge you full price when you pre-order. It's always been "Put $5 down, pay the rest when you pick the game up." Some online retailers charge right when you pre-order, but that's just more reason to keep giving good retailers like Amazon business.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Crabtree posted:

First Maker/True God(s) were killed in the Black City by Fen'Harel resulting in the Blight. Whatever is either ruling or corrupting there is going up against and/or manipulating whoever is causing riffs to happen so that the Dread Wolf can openly rule and feast on the world. Final Boss is up against a giant Elder God Wolf.

Where the hell are you getting this from? Tie in material?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Schubalts posted:

I have never seen an American physical retailer charge you full price when you pre-order. It's always been "Put $5 down, pay the rest when you pick the game up." Some online retailers charge right when you pre-order, but that's just more reason to keep giving good retailers like Amazon business.

Ah I'm just operating on half remembered forums posts on that one. gently caress paying any money in advance. The old preordering system Game had in the UK was good, where you paid nothing to preorder and simply didn't turn up to buy the game if you decided you didn't want it anymore.

KoB
May 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Ah I'm just operating on half remembered forums posts on that one. gently caress paying any money in advance. The old preordering system Game had in the UK was good, where you paid nothing to preorder and simply didn't turn up to buy the game if you decided you didn't want it anymore.

You can just come in and get your $5 back if you dont want the game anymore. Your $5 doesn't disappear and you dont actually have to buy the game. The money just creates a greater incentive for people to preorder things theyre actually interested in instead of just preordering everything just in case or something.

e: or preorder online at amazon or something because gently caress Gamestop.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

KoB posted:

You can just come in and get your $5 back if you dont want the game anymore. Your $5 doesn't disappear and you dont actually have to buy the game. The money just creates a greater incentive for people to preorder things theyre actually interested in instead of just preordering everything just in case or something.

e: or preorder online at amazon or something because gently caress Gamestop.

Well obviously, but going into the shop to get your $5 back is a hassle, gently caress that.

KoB
May 1, 2009

marktheando posted:

Well obviously, but going into the shop to get your $5 back is a hassle, gently caress that.

Oh. Ive seen some people on here who legitimately thought the $5 was independent from the game and were paying $5 for the privilege of preordering, so I thought I'd just make it clear :v:.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

If things are that bad that you don't know if you'll have it tomorrow, you probably shouldn't be buying videogames in general.

I tend not to preorder because I want to be able to gauge the quality of the finished product for sale, rather than trust a marketing department whose purpose in life is to subtly or blatantly deceive me in order to justify their existence.

All that said, I hope the game's good, because I like a good rpg.

Don't get it twisted. When I say you don't know what money you'll have tomorrow, I mean I might be dead. I'm not worried about money.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
You preorder games in case you will be dead tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

Don't get it twisted. When I say you don't know what money you'll have tomorrow, I mean I might be dead. I'm not worried about money.

"I could die tomorrow... perfect reason to spend money on something I won't be able to enjoy until October!"

Someone earlier mentioned how absurdly passive Hawke is, which made me realize how satisfying (in terms of player agency) NWN2's trial scene was in comparison. An Ace Attorney style investigation & subsequent insurrection with trial would really have elevated the stagnant Kirkwall storyline, particularly if you could have exposed the city's "terrible secret".

• Locked thread