Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess if anyone could have taken over for Englund, Jackie Earle Haley would have been it, but even he couldn't save a fundamentally poo poo movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I can't even defend the Nightmare On Elm Street remake, it's just a mess from beginning to the end.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

The Nightmare on Elm Street remake is so loving bad. I thought and still think Rooney Mara is a good actress but everything in that movie was awful, especially Freddy's dialogue. Anyone care enough to defend it?

I feel like someone around here defends that movie, but yeah I'm in the "atrociously loving bad" camp.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I used to frequent a message board where (I think) one of the writers of the new Nightmare on Elm Street posted. He worked on the The Thing prequel, too. If I remember correctly, he got his career started by writing this Internet scary story about houses that eat people.

Honestly, I haven't seen the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, but, yeah, apparently it's terrible, and the The Thing prequel just kind of seemed to miss a lot of what made the original so great (the tension, the uncertainty, the atmosphere).

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I will defend that the Drug Store scene in NoES 2012 was legitimately scary. Other than that, the entire movie was a mess of 1 and New Nightmare, with the most trite "flip through photos - Oh NOOOoooooooo" scene imaginable at the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I need to rewatch the NoES remake because I have absolutely no memory of it. I can't picture the main character, I can't think of a single scene, I have no recollection of the plot whatsoever. That can't be a good sign, but I like to give movies two shots.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
there was no geyser scene in the nightmare remake. if that was there, it would've been a way better movie and you wouldn't have had to change anything else about it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I need to rewatch the NoES remake because I have absolutely no memory of it. I can't picture the main character, I can't think of a single scene, I have no recollection of the plot whatsoever. That can't be a good sign, but I like to give movies two shots.

It's really bad. The kids are stupid idiots, they try and split the difference between scary-Freddy and "Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch!" and it doesn't work. The director seems to only want Jackie Earl Haley to do "Rorshach but with a claw glove" and it's just bad-bad-BAD.

One of the things Nightmare did was tie in the real-world cause of death to the dream-slaying (so Freddy sucks the life out of a girl in NoES 4; IRL she has an asthma attack). I don't recall them ever doing anything like that in NoES 2012, they just sort of die.

I would say instead of giving it a second chance, rewatch 4 (best kills) or 1 (best everything else).

Also, no tongue-phone in NoES 2012, so :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cole posted:

there was no geyser scene in the nightmare remake. if that was there, it would've been a way better movie and you wouldn't have had to change anything else about it.

There was like a pseudo-geyser scene but it was really bad CGI and then Freddy made a wet dream joke about it.

Ugh.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There was like a pseudo-geyser scene but it was really bad CGI and then Freddy made a wet dream joke about it.
IIRC, it's actually the exact same wet dream line from Part 4 when he's dispatching the survivors of part 3.

Basically they ripped off the stupid parts of the earlier movies (bad jokes and the plot/weakness from Freddy's Dead) without using the cool parts (actually being scary, tongue-phone, blood geyser)

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Phylodox posted:

I used to frequent a message board where (I think) one of the writers of the new Nightmare on Elm Street posted. He worked on the The Thing prequel, too. If I remember correctly, he got his career started by writing this Internet scary story about houses that eat people.

Did he really work on both of those movies 'cause that's kinda sad since Dionaea House was way out in front of the whole "creepypasta" thing and is actually pretty good.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 24, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The three leads are good, the micronaps idea is fun. That's all I got.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Did he really work on both of those movies 'cause that's kinda sad since Dioanaea House was out in front of the whole "creepypasta" thing and is actually pretty good.

Unfortunately. I agree that that story is probably the best of the creepypastas out there that I've come across. For those not clicking the link, he has the story of a killer house told through blog posts, and gets real meta with it, having extra characters come into the comments sections, and having you follow to their blogs as well to read simultaneously to get the full story. Though he suddenly overreaches himself with the last blogger, it's a story that honestly left me chilled and uncertain in my own house for weeks after I read it.

Regarding defending the NoES Remake, I did really like how they ended up putting seeds of doubt about Freddy's initial guilt, pre-barbecue. I only wishe they had had the conviction to keep that plot point. On the other hand, it really disappointed me that they had pretty much zero dream logic going on in the film. That was kind of what made the movies worth a drat in the first place.

Gaz2k21 posted:

For a big Jolly looking dude he's pretty terrifying in that movie, in fact most of the cast do a pretty good job.

George Wendt really has been underused in his lifetime as an actor, thanks to Cheers. He was also great in his Masters of Horror episode, "Family". John Landis may be an awful, awful man, but he makes some pretty chilling horror when he's not tempering it with comedy.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Tharizdun posted:

One of the things Nightmare did was tie in the real-world cause of death to the dream-slaying (so Freddy sucks the life out of a girl in NoES 4; IRL she has an asthma attack). I don't recall them ever doing anything like that in NoES 2012, they just sort of die.

That's one of my favorite aspects of the original. Tina gets killed apparently by her boyfriend who was flaunting his knife earlier; then her boyfriend hangs himself in prison. Then uh...Johnny Depp gets sucked into a bed/drowns in a blood geyser...but hey it worked for a little bit.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The NoES remake was fair, but what hurt it most was the lost potential. They did NOT need to try and remake the original. If they wanted to redo an origin story, fine, but don't copy the characters and situations. Since they decided to try to make a scary Freddy, they should've went all out with it. We now have CGI where you could put anything you want on screen; you have a character that can alter reality at will. DON'T MAKE HIM A STUPID JUMP SCARE VILLIAN, HE HAS THE MOST POTENTIAL TO BE THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF THAT. He should taunt you by showing you poo poo you don't want to see and by confusing you. He can still toy with the victims without wisecracks, which would make him seem even more evil and scarier. Such potential for body horror and confusion and they didn't even bother. If you're gonna remake Nightmare, don't waste the raw potential it has.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Regarding defending the NoES Remake, I did really like how they ended up putting seeds of doubt about Freddy's initial guilt, pre-barbecue.

This is one of the things that bugged me the most about the remake. It was a neat idea that amounted to absolutely nothing. It ended up being padding to stretch out the running time. The main characters are told that they were molested by Freddy. For whatever reason, they refuse to believe this and go off on a mission to find their old school (nearly dying in the process) and uncover the truth... which turns out to be exactly what they were already told. They could have just, you know, stayed home and had the final confrontation with Freddy in Nancy's home (like they should have).

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

weekly font posted:

Yep this is how I feel about it as well. I remember seeing Rooney Mara for the first time in that movie and thinking "this girl is going to be in movies much better than this soon". Jackie Earle Haley is really creepy (although the writing for Freddy is BAD) and Kyle Gallner is surprisingly likeable.

Most of the kills are taken straight from the original film, except where they were really cool practical effects in that movie, it's just CGI here (and bad CGI at that). The worst one is when a vlogger gets killed in a YouTube video. Who uploaded it???

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I never really cared for the Elm Street franchise, at least not the way I did Friday the 13th, because it never really seems like the characters in Nightmare have a fighting chance until the veeery end when they suddenly make something up, like Freddy hates mirrors or whatever. (Generally. 1 and 3 had more going on.)

But the Never Sleep Again documentary turned me on to how brilliant Freddy's design is, and it's kind of been a quiet obsession of mine ever since. Knife fingers, because the most primitive kind of human fear would be fear of clawed animals. Red and green, because they're harshly contrasting colors, and red, of course, is the color of blood. He goes after children, the most vulnerable members of society. He goes after you when you dream, which mimics reality, and you have absolutely no protection from falling into. They very cleverly and uniquely tapped into some very scary poo poo with every aspect of Freddy. The remake inadvertently clued me into something else, because they bafflingly made him resemble actual burn victims.

He looks like that Venezuelan lady that was on Oprah. :(

At his worst, Freddy make-up looks like a dude in make-up.

In New Nightmare, he was more like a demon, which was fitting for the fairy tale structure.

But at his best, Freddy looks like something that shouldn't loving be alive.

Try to look at him with new eyes.
He looks like he should be in immense pain just standing there. He looks like he's currently burning alive, right now, and you just can't see the flames. It's loving horrific. No wonder we were all scared shitless of him as kids.

Cubone fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 25, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

weekly font posted:

This, basically. I liked the micronaps idea a lot as well but not too much else. I remember liking the film when I first saw it but on a recent rewatching of it I really couldn't give much of a poo poo.

Cubone posted:

He looks like that Venezuelan lady that was on Oprah. :(

I think it's the one thing that the film got right, Freddy sure as gently caress looks like a burn victim. Does it work? Eh, dunno, he did look the part.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I didn't hate the NOES remake, I didn't love it either but I'd certainly choose it over Freddy's Dead which I will always think of as the worst NOES movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I didn't hate the NOES remake, I didn't love it either but I'd certainly choose it over Freddy's Dead which I will always think of as the worst NOES movie.

Yeah as bad as the remake is it's probably still only the third worst Nightmare movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah as bad as the remake is it's probably still only the third worst Nightmare movie.

I have bad news for you: all the Nightmare movies are terrible. Watch the first one again and pick out everything that really works. If your list is longer than body bag girl in the classroom and the hand in the bath, then you're viewing it with the eyes of nostalgia. The rest of the movie ranges from the cheap and cheesy (especially everything to do with Nancy's mother) to the absurd (Johnny Depp). It hangs together on the back of that small number of effective scenes and Robert Englund's performance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

I have bad news for you: all the Nightmare movies are terrible. Watch the first one again and pick out everything that really works. If your list is longer than body bag girl in the classroom and the hand in the bath, then you're viewing it with the eyes of nostalgia. The rest of the movie ranges from the cheap and cheesy (especially everything to do with Nancy's mother) to the absurd (Johnny Depp). It hangs together on the back of that small number of effective scenes and Robert Englund's performance.

One, three, and seven are masterpieces. If you wanna blame that on nostalgia, feel free, but it's the stone-cold truth. That the original ANOES is terrible is a weird alternate-universe opinion I've only ever encountered in CineD.

I mentioned it only like a page or two ago, but the bit with Freddy throwing pebbles against Tina's window is one of the great scare scenes in modern horror cinema. Really, the entire first half hour or so up until Tina's death is straight up perfect.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 25, 2014

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Dragging the girl across the ceiling
Sticky stairs
Extended arms in the alley

The boiler room set was the catalyst for the urban decay type sets that dominate horror still today

And NOES was first to use the rubber wall trick.

Come on man, your not even trying

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I find Freddy's very first appearance, when he has the long arms outstretched in silhouette, incredibly frightening. I think it's really underrated as a freaky horror movie image but it totally sets the surreal, playful, sadistic, evil and deranged tone of his character.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

After binge-watching the entire series a few months ago, I realized NOES4 — despite it being one of my least favorite as a young'n — has quietly moved to the front of the pack. The first one is a good genesis, the third one is a good sequel, the seventh one is a good deconstruction ... but NOES4 is an all-around good horror flick, fun and unsettling in equal measures, a solid choice considering NOES has a premise you can take seriously, but not too seriously. That remake is dogshit though. No one wants to see a somewhat enjoyable villain dress his victims up like little girls and threaten to rape them. Yeah, that he's actually a child molester is a reinserted bit from the original premise, but Craven was right to dance around that, even if he had no idea his greatest villain would become a fuckin' comedian.

In other news, I watched The Sentinel last night for the first time, and man ... they sure don't make them like they used to. It provides such a delicate balance of funny, creepy, gross and weird, and the psychosexual horror still works, despite the drastically different sexual landscape of the 1970s. Plus, man, that cast ... Chris Sarandon, Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith, Beverly D'Angelo, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Dreyfuss, Eli Wallach, Jerry Orbach, Tom Berenger and William loving Hickey? In the same movie? I must have been dreaming.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

One, three, and seven are masterpieces. If you wanna blame that on nostalgia, feel free, but it's the stone-cold truth. That the original ANOES is terrible is a weird alternate-universe opinion I've only ever encountered in CineD.

I mentioned it only like a page or two ago, but the bit with Freddy throwing pebbles against Tina's window is one of the great scare scenes in modern horror cinema. Really, the entire first half hour or so up until Tina's death is straight up perfect.

I watched the original NoES for the first time fairly recently (like in the last five years) so I don't have any nostalgia for it or the series, and yeah, that movie loving rules. I was downright surprised at just how great it was.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I thought Nightmare 4 was a visually* fun cheesefest.

Completely disagree that they're all 'bad'. The first one still strikes me as innovative and solid, other than the ending.

The Sentinel was slightly disappointing to me. Felt like it borrowed too much from the other big horror flicks of the '70s, such as The Omen and The Exorcist. I'd have to watch it again. It was a decent movie, I just remember it feeling derivative.

*EDIT: Fixed typos.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 25, 2014

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Oliver Reed posted:

I thought Nightmare 4 was a visual fun cheesefest.

Completely disagree that they're all 'bad'. The first one still strikes me as innovative and solid, other than the ending.

The Sentinel was slightly disappointing to me. Felt like it borrowed too much from the other big horror flicks of the '70s, such as The Omen and The Exorcist. I'd have to watch it again. It was a decent movie, I just remember it feeling derivative.
Maybe, and I'm not saying The Shining is derivative, but The Shining wouldn't be The Shining without The Sentinel and Burnt Offerings.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I watched the original NoES for the first time fairly recently (like in the last five years) so I don't have any nostalgia for it or the series, and yeah, that movie loving rules. I was downright surprised at just how great it was.

The music and the great sound design are half of it so it'll lose something in translation, but Jedit has inspired me to break out my DVD and do some shot-by-shot analysis of the window scene and maybe some other bits when I get home. It's masterful stuff.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh one other point I'll give the remake (giving it a staggering 5/100, ladies and gents) is I found the fact that his plan was to put Nancy in a coma so he could diddle her forever profoundly unsettling. It was rather blunt but a good way to drive the point home that this Freddy wasn't the one-liner and zingers dumb Freddy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Oh one other point I'll give the remake (giving it a staggering 5/100, ladies and gents) is I found the fact that his plan was to put Nancy in a coma so he could diddle her forever profoundly unsettling. It was rather blunt but a good way to drive the point home that this Freddy wasn't the one-liner and zingers dumb Freddy.

I just don't like that they made it so explicit. One of the signs in the original ANOES that Wes Craven, primarily known up to that point as a director of grimy rape revenge thrillers, had really come into his own as a filmmaker was that he was able to let those undertones of the horror of sexual predation simmer and bubble under the surface instead of just rubbing the viewer's faces in it for shock value.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just don't like that they made it so explicit. One of the signs in the original ANOES that Wes Craven, primarily known up to that point as a director of grimy rape revenge thrillers, had really come into his own as a filmmaker was that he was able to let those undertones of the horror of sexual predation simmer and bubble under the surface instead of just rubbing the viewer's faces in it for shock value.

Bingo. It might have been a little too subtle for some though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love blonde lush Ronee Blakely.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I know he's done more lovely films than good ones but Wes Craven's early films really do unsettle me big time. The rape scene in the Last House on the Left with David Hess drooling on the girl's face is forever burned into my memory. It's rare for horror to get to me like that. Martyrs is probably the modern, go-to example for something truly unsettling.

Not sure what else would make the (my) list. There's a horror flick from the '70s called Deranged I think that bothered me.

Oliver Reed fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 25, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love blonde lush Ronee Blakely.

The part where Heather Langenkamp is trying to get the key to the house from her is so great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So somebody told me that Nightmare on Elm Street 2 was somehow supposed to represent the main character struggling with his sexuality? I watched it but didn't really notice anything...anyone care to explain?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What are your recollections of NOES2?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The part where Heather Langenkamp is trying to get the key to the house from her is so great.

Heather Langenkamp's horrendous acting really makes me buy her as a freaked out teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

So somebody told me that Nightmare on Elm Street 2 was somehow supposed to represent the main character struggling with his sexuality? I watched it but didn't really notice anything...anyone care to explain?

Hahahahahaha

Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you (and kinda laughing at you). My best suggestion is to watch the section on that movie from the excellent documentary Never Sleep Again. Really, watch the whole documentary. It's like 4 hours but if you're a fan of the series it flies by.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Heather Langenkamp's horrendous acting really makes me buy her as a freaked out teenager.

This may be slightly controversial but I think she's one of the best actresses to headline a slasher movie. Like, it's her or Jamie Lee Curtis.