Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

New Hardcore History just dropped! Blueprint for Armageddon III! Three hours fifty six minutes of the Great War

E: and be ready because this is when the war goes from interesting to blindingly depressing

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Yesssss, just as I was about 30 min from finishing the last episode. I was seriously worried about life without hardcore history anymore, now at least that's delayed by another 4 hours or so!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ch3cooh posted:

New Hardcore History just dropped! Blueprint for Armageddon III! Three hours fifty six minutes of the Great War

E: and be ready because this is when the war goes from interesting to blindingly depressing

Perfect, my internet is out so I'll have something to listen to while I be productive. Now to download 200 mbs of audio over a cell connection. :smithicide:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was listening to the first Blitz HH the other day and burst out laughing when Dan was explaining how the scope of the show had ballooned from the first episode's 15 minutes to the latest episode's "unforgivable one hour and eighteen minutes."

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I think if you took any one of the last dozen episodes or so and made a mega-cut of every time he says "again and again" or makes a boxing analogy, it would be 15 minutes in itself.

He's come a long way. (Just kidding I love Dan, even, hell especially, his quirks).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Damo posted:

I think if you took any one of the last dozen episodes or so and made a mega-cut of every time he says "again and again" or makes a boxing analogy,

I checked the time on the new episode to the first boxing analogy. Almost ten minutes on the nose.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I find them funny too but I also think that they are fitting too.

Also: I really want an episode about the amazing arctic expeditions now. Especially the Shackleton expedition he mentioned in this episode. That is such an amazing story.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm looking for more Film podcasts, on the analysis/history side of things. I've caught up with the ones in the OP, and with Battleship Pretension; should I try Filmspotting at all?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Quad posted:

I'm looking for more Film podcasts, on the analysis/history side of things. I've caught up with the ones in the OP, and with Battleship Pretension; should I try Filmspotting at all?

Filmspotting is okay, but I wouldn't consider it very analytical. They make a few points, but they really do more of a review, looking at acting and writing and all that stuff. They do a cursory amount of analysis, but it's not terribly deep. I have to say, that if the movie deals with race at all, it becomes astoundingly obvious how white these guys are (this became especially prominent for The Impossible, wherein neither had any issue with the casting).

What Filmspotting does do very well is recommend movies. Whether it is through their art/foreign film marathons (Satyajit Ray marathon is coming soon) or through their Top 5 lists, they have multiple ways to promote movies that make them sound way interesting. I'd recommend listening to a few episodes and skipping over the "fun" parts, like Massacre Theater, poll questions, donator shoutouts, letters, etc., then deciding whether you like it or not. Their format doesn't really change that often, except with Michael Philips occasionally joining in.

I'd say that The Macguffin Men do a bit more on the analysis part, but I've never been particularly dazzled or wowed by their insights. They're also a lot more casual about the whole thing, which makes for some more easy listening but sometimes their points do come off a bit underdeveloped, like they just had a thought, wanted to share it, but went nowhere else with it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Dan finally got to Ernst Jünger :allears:. That guy was loving crazy. His book is a great read.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Dan's right. No matter how many times I hear it, the Christmas Day story is one of the weirdest moments in history.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Just finished the new HH and holy poo poo, the christmas story was perfectly placed to break up the grim depressing stretch at the start. No such luck afterwards though, death and genocide all the way to the end. Probably the first HH I've had to actually pace myself listening to because the subject matter got a bit too grim to listen to for hours in a row.

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

sweetroy posted:

Just finished the new HH and holy poo poo, the christmas story was perfectly placed to break up the grim depressing stretch at the start. No such luck afterwards though, death and genocide all the way to the end. Probably the first HH I've had to actually pace myself listening to because the subject matter got a bit too grim to listen to for hours in a row.
Yeah it was really bleak, I felt the same way. Going from the gas attacks to the Armenian genocide, the last half of that podcast was depressing as hell.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is it just me, or is Revolutions getting a bit more bogged down in the military action in the American War of Independence versus the English Civil War? It sort of felt like he devoted more time towards the political side of things / the political situation of what was going on during the English Civil War episodes than he has during the American Revolution eps, which always seemed to me to be the more important side of the overall narrative.

Not to say the military stuff isn't important or fascinating (it is), I just find the lack of the political side amidst all of it a bit amiss.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 29, 2014

radlum
May 13, 2013

Zorak posted:

Is it just me, or is Revolutions getting a bit more bogged down in the military action in the American War of Independence versus the English Civil War? It sort of felt like he devoted more time towards the political side of things / the political situation of what was going on during the English Civil War episodes than he has during the American Revolution eps, which always seemed to me to be the more important side of the overall narrative.

Not to say the military stuff isn't important or fascinating (it is), I just find the lack of the political side amidst all of it a bit amiss.

I was thinking the same, I wish he got back to the more political issues because after a while, the battles stop being that exciting, specially if they are not as major or if you are not an American.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

radlum posted:

I was thinking the same, I wish he got back to the more political issues because after a while, the battles stop being that exciting, specially if they are not as major or if you are not an American.

They are actually less exciting to an American. We mostly only hear about the battles.

He keeps the political stuff in mind when talking about the battles, but there's just so much complexity he has to miss. Even History of Rome was pretty battle focused.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does anyone here listen to the Stuff You Should Know podcast? It long ago stopped being about stuff one should actually know (if it ever had been) and became more about two guys summarizing a report about weird subject of the week, but I like the hosts' soothing voices and rapport with each other.

Then a few weeks ago out of the blue one of the hosts was gone and got replaced by some new guy. The leftover old host seemed really bummed out and the episode was so sad I had to stop listening. Then a couple weeks later I tried listening to a new episode and the old cohost was back. Does anyone know what happened? Under what circumstances did the death and return of Chuck Bryant occur?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Does anyone here listen to the Stuff You Should Know podcast? It long ago stopped being about stuff one should actually know (if it ever had been) and became more about two guys summarizing a report about weird subject of the week, but I like the hosts' soothing voices and rapport with each other.

Then a few weeks ago out of the blue one of the hosts was gone and got replaced by some new guy. The leftover old host seemed really bummed out and the episode was so sad I had to stop listening. Then a couple weeks later I tried listening to a new episode and the old cohost was back. Does anyone know what happened? Under what circumstances did the death and return of Chuck Bryant occur?

It was an April Fool's Day joke.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

When I got into podcasts a few years ago this was what I listened to. As you said though, it started to get pretty dull to me. Once I found more longform stuff like Hardcore History it made me lose interest in SYSK.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a hard time with them and Stuff You Missed In History class because they're so sleepy-talking. If I needed a nap time podcast I'd probably get back into them.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I like both SYSK and SYMIHC and I've gotten used to the host's voices, but the way ads just interrupt the podcast has gotten very annoying, it just breaks the flow of the episode.

I miss the times when the ads were just at the start, before the letters and the end of the podcast.

EDIT: In the lates STYMIHC the first ad comes in the 4:30 mark! They had barely introduced the topic by that point.

radlum fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 30, 2014

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I've only listened to 3 episodes of Common Sense (it's pretty 'current events' so going back much further didn't seem to make sense) but it's definitely a different, intellectually honest point of view he argues from, which is what makes it entertaining. I agree with a lot of what he says too. Definitely a good podcast in my opinion.

A late reply, but many Common Sense shows are not so current events focused as the recent ones. He has devoted the majority of his effort to Hardcore History for several years now and CS tends to be on the backburner during multi-part HH shows, so there's been a lot of news analysis recently. There are many older shows that are well worth the listen if you can bear to relive the Obama administration politics in the process, as they are more like societal analysis. Episodes about corruption, Islam, surveillance, and the media tend to have a much longer shelf-life than the news analysis type.

Zorak posted:

I'm in it for the politics as well and I'm disappointed that Revolutions dropped the political side of the story as soon as the battles began just as typical school history does, even if the level of detail is significantly higher.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 30, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You could argue that the political revolution took place with the declaration of independence and the formation of a true continental government. Beyond that, the politics of the early continental government involved finding allies to win independence and keeping everything running until the fight was won.

But I enjoy the escapades of Franklin in France and Adams out in Europe as much as anyone and I'd love to see Revolutions dive deep into the diplomatic side. However, from a revolution perspective, the great change has taken place and now Duncan's got to cover the fight to secure it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Agreed that I don't enjoy the military stuff quite as much but can see why he's done it in this case. Seems like he's going to be going to be moving onto the French Revolution fairly soon anyway, which is obvious way less military and generally pretty great/insane.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a hard time with them and Stuff You Missed In History class because they're so sleepy-talking. If I needed a nap time podcast I'd probably get back into them.

I don't know how the four hosts they chose for these two shows are still so bad years later after so much practice.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

I don't know how the four hosts they chose for these two shows are still so bad years later after so much practice.

Man, they're on hiatus for a while and played an old episode and it's really jarring how great the voice talent on Stuff You Missed in History Class used to be.

However I think the quiet laid back NPR tone is intentional and I quite like it for the short form history podcast stuff. Dan talking like that for four hours would make me murder a puppy, but having to listen to a 20 minute burst of Dan every few days would also.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Rockzilla posted:

It was an April Fool's Day joke.

Oh my god. :downs:

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
I got a boring dataentry job for the summer and have been tearing through Revolutions these past few days. Not knowing much about the English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell besides pop culture osmosis and Leviathan I got the feeling that Duncan might have whitewashed Cromwell just a little bit, especially after having a cursory look at Wikipeda. Any goon historians want to weigh in on this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So is Revolutions staying with America through the Constitutional Convention?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
From how he originally described the layout for the series (which of course could change) he was going to have 16 episodes per revolution, so we'd have 4 more to go. The military actions of the war are basically over, and I suppose we could make it all the way to the Convention, but I doubt it'd get more than an episode since there's so much left between where it is now (1781), when the treaty was actually signed (1783) and the Convention (1787.)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gyges posted:

So is Revolutions staying with America through the Constitutional Convention?

Well, as Mike mentioned, most of the actual revolutionary aspects of the American War of Independence were sort of toned down during the war itself to maintain unity between the states. It's at this point where poo poo gets rocky as the states try to actually determine what the hell they care about.

It's one of the most amusing parts given the reverential aura people assign to the founding fathers that half of them hated the other half and the Constitution we ultimately got was a matter of fierce bordering on violent debate and concessions, and that soon to be bipartisan furor has continued to this day.

The French Revolution is going to be difficult to cover since its character changes incredibly as it actually expands out from France leading to the French 'liberation' of the Italian peninsula into Republican government, until it's ultimately co-opted and assimilated by Napoleon. It's an incredibly fluid and very much confusing thing as political power essentially went wild.

Cataffy posted:

I got a boring dataentry job for the summer and have been tearing through Revolutions these past few days. Not knowing much about the English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell besides pop culture osmosis and Leviathan I got the feeling that Duncan might have whitewashed Cromwell just a little bit, especially after having a cursory look at Wikipeda. Any goon historians want to weigh in on this?

Cromwell is a pretty complicated person and depending on where you lean politically you're going to take away very different things from him and the English Civil War. A statue of Cromwell stands outside the House of Commons after being erected in 1899.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Yeah thinking about it I suppose his summary sounds pretty fair and openended, it just kind of caught me off guard since every time I have heard his name come up throughout the years it has been in the context of some alleged Irish genocide.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I actually learned something new in the previous episode, about the coups that Washington suppressed diplomatically.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found another history podcast that I thought I'd mention here: Last Stop to Nowhere. The creators are goons, I saw their post in the creative commons podcasting thread. The subject is weird Australian history, which if you're not Australian will confirm every stereotype you have about Australia. :v: It's a little dry but they're on episode ten and it usually takes more episodes than that to really get into the swing of podcasting in my experience. Still, entertaining and about a subject that I have almost no exposure to!

The current episode is about the first royal tour of Australia which went so badly that it would give fiascos a good name.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Oh my god a new Mike Duncan history podcast?!?!?!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Amethyst posted:

Oh my god a new Mike Duncan history podcast?!?!?!

Did you not know about revolutions until now? I'm so sorry.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's going to be weird waiting for new episodes instead of just binge listening to the whole lot over a month

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The next episode doesn't come out till July 14 so take your time.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just finished the history of Rome podcast! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I just finished the history of Rome podcast! :)

Congratulate