Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
If Enrique is fit who knows, he was well good once he got going under Rodgers and linked brilliantly with Coutinho down the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spangly A posted:

He's right footed and right-footed LBs causes people to make the autism sound.

Also Johnson probably needs a replacement too, he's not looked that good and he's over 30. One decent under-30 fullback probably explains their defending problem.

Watching our bad play recently I've been wishing our right footed left back wasn't injured

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I think Johnson will be out the door in the Summer. His contract is running out and there's been no talk of renewing it.

We have Ilori and Wisdom out on loan right now, with Flanagan and Kelly too. There's also Ryan McLaughlin, the academy right-back, who's out on loan to Barnsley, and Jack Robinson has been with Blackpool. Jose Enrique is apparently still alive, he's been posting on twitter lately, so maybe we'll see him next season. We might still be looking to bring in a left-back.

We'll probably have Conor Coady and Suso back next season too, they're both out on loan, along with Jordon Ibe.

There's no guarantee any of those loan players will be good enough in the long run, but I think at the very least that Rodgers has seen some promise in them, as there are a few who were sent out on loan, but later released/sold (like Adam Morgan).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm pretty sure the plan is to replace Johnson with a left back and move Flani Alves over to the right.

It'll be interesting to see how many of our loanees stick with the squad next year. If Wisdom, Ilori, Robinson, Coady, Suso and Borini are good enough to be rotation players next year it would solve a lot of our depth issues and let us spend the money on stars.

:argh: efb

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I think Rodgers has mentioned keeping Johnson fairly recently, it flew under the radar maybe. Hope he stays, Flanagan has been really good but I don't think he's ready for a full season as first choice yet

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Johnson is really underrated imo, he's really good offensively and better than his reputation defensively, there have been a few times this season when he's made some really insanely good tackles. I think a lot of the problem is him getting caught up the field taking part in an attack and wingers getting in behind, which could probably be curtailed with a better central/defensive midfield or a better centre back next to him (much as I love Skrtel, his concentration slips a lot). I'd like to keep Johnson if possible. That being said, he's also one of the highest paid players on the team iirc, so he may be asking for a huge raise or something since his next contract may well be his last big one. We're almost certainly in for a new left back though, and I'd hate to have to replace both fullback positions in one transfer window.

I think at least one of the kids on loan will break into the first team next season. My money would be on either Wisdom or Suso, since Wisdom played a lot under Rodgers last season so he obviously rates him, and Suso has apparently done pretty well over in La Liga. Borini will almost certainly be back in the first team as well. That being said, as much as those players would add depth to our squad, it's still really questionable whether or not they're good enough depth. It's all well and good playing them in the League Cup or against some lower league team in the FA Cup, but I'd be hesitant to rely on them in a match against Premier League or Champions League opposition, and for that I think we'll need to buy a few more quality players, which will cost a lot of money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Liverpool should still be looking to improve defensively first before hoping a bunch of kids are good enough

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
What's Jose Enrique's contract situation?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

What's Jose Enrique's contract situation?

He can be your hero.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Perhaps we could get a few of these posts with line-ups so we can fully visualise the ultimate Liverpool starting XI for 14/15

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sorry, I'm phoneposting, so I can't do code tags

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Liverpool should still be looking to improve defensively first before hoping a bunch of kids are good enough

Don't get me wrong, our defence has been a shambles a lot of times this season and something has to change, but I think Johnson will be capable of still being first choice RB in a defence that's much stronger. Like he was our default right back when under Dalglish and Clarke we had the best defence in the league for six months or something, he's genuinely capable of performing to a high defensive standard.

Honestly I think the problem is we're playing a youth right back on the left, who as good as he is sometimes still fucks up his positioning, and a lack of consistency in our centre backs, what with having a rotation of Agger/Sakho/Toure next to Skrtel, who isn't the most consistent centre back ever.

Were there any signs at Swansea that Rodgers knows how to coach a really good defensive setup? Or is he just a balls-to-the-wall attacking manager and we should expect to ship 50 goals a season no matter what?

corpuscollossus posted:

Perhaps we could get a few of these posts with line-ups so we can fully visualise the ultimate Liverpool starting XI for 14/15

code:
       Good strikers

Good midfielders

Good defenders

Good goalkeeper
is my preferred 2014/15 lineup imo

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He's the anti jose and its some bigtime win.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

corpuscollossus posted:

yeah here's the back four

code:
Suck    My   Dick    Bitch

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
continental european football will absolutely trounce this pool back four

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Skinty McEdger posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27107822

The Chosen One banner is no more, and is expected to be offered to the National football museum. The national football museum don't seem overwhelmed with excitement at the prospect.

There's a sandwich shop about 400m from Stamford Bridge called "The Chosen Bun". This is probably not related.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Giggs is said to have lifted spirits at Carrington and has already made a telling move - switching Friday's press conference from 1.30pm to 9.30am - the time favoured by Sir Alex Ferguson. The source added: “There’s a real spring in Ryan’s step - he’s really embraced it and has already had a positive impact.”

There'll be a Moyesfrei press conference tomorrow :patriot:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Giggs is said to have lifted spirits at Carrington and has already made a telling move - switching Friday's press conference from 1.30pm to 9.30am - the time favoured by Sir Alex Ferguson. The source added: “There’s a real spring in Ryan’s step - he’s really embraced it and has already had a positive impact.”

lol this is ace, change the press conference time to fergie's, that'll show moyes how it's done

i hope they lose every remaining game heavily.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Couldn't happen. Four straight wins coming up. :patriot:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'd just be happy with Liverpool buying a left back as far as starters go. Obviously we need depth on the bench (probably another central midfielder and a winger) but we have some quality loan signings coming back that will pad the squad out. I like Johnson a lot and although he's had a patchy season would be happy if he's our starting right back next season.

Will be interesting to see who leaves. Moses and Cissokho won't be bought after their loans (thank god). Aspas will probably be sold rather than loaned given the fact that he's 26. I can see Borini being kept on although I don't think he quite fits in at Liverpool. There are probably question marks over Jose Enrique and Lucas too.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

PirateBob posted:

I wanna see how salty giggsy gets when this rubbish side continues getting clobbered

jynxed
Sep 30, 2013

Lysdexia FWT!
(In other words, I'm dyslexic)
I personally think alot of the LFC defence problems seem to be silly mistakes, individual errors, positional mistakes and midfielders not tracking back have all cost us, there are far too many. So for me a defensive coach and someone on the pitch to shout at people like Carra used to - an organiser who takes on that role. Sure more players needed in addition to a few of our better loan signings coming back. The buys made I hope can be players to properly challenge for the starting places as we have a terrible bench, our 1st 11 almost always picks itself through the odd injury and suspensions. Thats something to worry about for next season though.

After everything we have been through in the last few years as supporters(ownership issues, debt etc), went from 2007 Cl final to 8th in 2012, thats a rapid decline. So I personally am going to enjoy it and see how far we can go the last few years have certainly made me appreciate any success LFC has more. I am so happy for CL games to be back and cant wait to start going to those fantastic night matches again, I really dont care if in a difficult group or not its just boss to in the CL again and a shout of the PL.

jynxed fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 25, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rip jose enrique you were good then went to liverpool and died

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Bovril Delight posted:

dumbest player in the team according to glen johnson

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

He was good for a while and is a hell of an athlete but he's as stupid as he is on the pitch as he is off it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah he seemed a bit thick. I'll always remember his goal in the Championship where the whole team piled on.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
who the hell is big Winnie style.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

continental european football will absolutely trounce this pool back four
English sides have routinely trounced this pool back four - just been outscoring them somehow.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'd just be happy with Liverpool buying a left back as far as starters go. Obviously we need depth on the bench (probably another central midfielder and a winger) but we have some quality loan signings coming back that will pad the squad out. I like Johnson a lot and although he's had a patchy season would be happy if he's our starting right back next season.

Will be interesting to see who leaves. Moses and Cissokho won't be bought after their loans (thank god). Aspas will probably be sold rather than loaned given the fact that he's 26. I can see Borini being kept on although I don't think he quite fits in at Liverpool. There are probably question marks over Jose Enrique and Lucas too.
I know Borini scored the penalty against Chelsea but he had 4 goals in a full season's worth of games, and 2 of those were penalties. Yes this was a really, really poo poo Sunderland side but the times I saw him play, I never thought he looked like he was growing into a great forward who could back up Suarez/Sturridge.

cheese fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 25, 2014

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Edit: Dbl post

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

cheese posted:

I know Borini scored the penalty against Chelsea but he had 4 goals in a full season's worth of games, and 2 of those were penalties. Yes this was a really, really poo poo Sunderland side but the times I saw him play, I never thought he looked like he was growing into a great forward who could back up Suarez/Sturridge.

It's because S'land don't give him good service :downs:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bloodbath posted:

who the hell is big Winnie style.

Winston Reid. Apparently, several of the big clubs are looking to go after him in the summer.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

code:
       Good strikers

Good midfielders

Good defenders

Good goalkeeper
is my preferred 2014/15 lineup imo

Will this fit into the Rodger System tm?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Winston Reid. Apparently, several of the big clubs are looking to go after him in the summer.
A good player for sure but I can see him loving up at a big club. He should just stay at West Ham forever please.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

A good player for sure but I can see him loving up at a big club. He should just stay at West Ham forever please.

If he does I might have to start doing some bigsoccer posts on how it's his terrible team that lets him down. Like they do at West Ham.

How has he been since he's been back from injury?

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

He's the next Ryan Nelsen. Dependable sort, but better suited to smaller clubs imo. Would love to see him at Everton.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

If he does I might have to start doing some bigsoccer posts on how it's his terrible team that lets him down. Like they do at West Ham.

How has he been since he's been back from injury?
He's real good OP. But anyone would look like a cool, assured defender next to old Suicide Collins

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There are too many clubs in for CBs and it worries me that Shawcross may be off :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
gently caress Zak Efron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27133256

Knoddus
Oct 30, 2007
Born in a crossfire hurricane
I think he'll beat Lawrenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
His predictions all look reasonable, though either side could be Lawro's given the dullness of them.

• Locked thread