Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Internet Kraken posted:

Got killed by lemur ghouls on the very first screen :shepface:
I punched one then ran the gently caress away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just got into the game, this is my first time playing a souls game, I'm thinking of playing either as a swordsman or a warrior, how much harder is the game going to be without the shield for me?

also, what gifts should I select, and are there any items I should immediately go out looking for early in the game?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Can you change the controller button mapping in game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Did we pick a god for the ring?

:siren: I'm in the game :siren:

Al-Saqr posted:

I just got into the game, this is my first time playing a souls game, I'm thinking of playing either as a swordsman or a warrior, how much harder is the game going to be without the shield for me?

Shields are amazing for staying alive, but you can get some other shields pretty quick into the game. But if you want to start with one, go for it. Sword and board is how you should do your first playthrough.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

White Phosphorus posted:

Nope! I wish.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Can I buy this off a russian website or is it region bound?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sure didn't take long for my sorcerer to get the Demon's Great Hammer. I love how the game starts with a collection of npcs laughing at you. Off to a great start, chosen undead!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

White Phosphorus posted:

Keyboard but not controller.

Wow that's dumb.

FROM SOFTWAAAAARE!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

So seriously are people able to not just play in offline mode?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

Anyone else having the HDMI issue? That's going to suck since my PC is hooked up to my TV :ohdear:

I got it to work by disabling GPU scaling in the AMD control center thing.

These default keybinds are awful.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My game is crashing on start up. RIP.

I'm using an HDMI cable.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Elysiume posted:

Dark Souls 1 also had achievements. Or do you mean specifically in Steam?

Yeah, I meant in Steam. I guess it had them for GFWL too, I didn't really notice (and who cared anyway)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Al-Saqr posted:

also, what gifts should I select, and are there any items I should immediately go out looking for early in the game?

Essentially nothing you choose at the start is going to set anything into stone. You want to get a shield? Whatever. Just go pick one up. The classes are your starting equipment, kind of to push you in a certain direction, but you can do whatever it is you want past that as long as you have the stats to wear/wield the item you want.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Ay ay ay, what a mess :smith:

I was going to wait until steam sales because of the lighting engine thing. But after seeing VaatiVidya's comparison and reading about the little niggling things that are beginning to appear in abundance. Right now I'd go so far as to pirate it and send $60 to the guy who made DSFix.

fake edit : I'm not going to pirate it, despite this post I'll probably break and buy it within the month and develop the appropriate level of Stockholm Syndrome. Pirating is bad. Stay in school kids

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My PS3 fight stick works, but my 360 controller doesn't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Did we pick a god for the ring?

In the console thread everyone asked this repeatedly and no one said anything until the OP arbitrarily picked one, so I vote that since we were using Blood God on console, we should use it on PC too.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
You'd think for as much jerking off Sony did about making the DS4 controller work with PCs it would actually work with, I don't know, any game ever?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Sex Robot posted:

Ay ay ay, what a mess :smith:

I was going to wait until steam sales because of the lighting engine thing. But after seeing VaatiVidya's comparison and reading about the little niggling things that are beginning to appear in abundance. Right now I'd go so far as to pirate it and send $60 to the guy who made DSFix.

fake edit : I'm not going to pirate it, despite this post I'll probably break and buy it within the month and develop the appropriate level of Stockholm Syndrome. Pirating is bad. Stay in school kids

You could just wait until it gets reduced in price. Hell a lot of us already got it from GMG and that was 25% off right from the get go.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can daggers parry in the offhand? It looks like it's just a different type of attack.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
I did the review of this one for GamingTrend, and I thought the whole thing was a definite step up over Dark Souls' initial PC foray (admittedly, that's not saying much.) I slid into keyboard/mouse controls pretty easily, the lack of GFWL was drat pleasant, the online aspect was smooth - everything seemed to go a lot better this time around for me with minimal issues.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Male of the Century posted:

You'd think for as much jerking off Sony did about making the DS4 controller work with PCs it would actually work with, I don't know, any game ever?

It's a problem with the port. There's loads of reports of 360s controllers not working either.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Azran posted:

My game is crashing on start up. RIP.
I'm using an HDMI cable.
Ditto. Apparently unplugging it, launching, then replugging works, but I'm hoping for a less crap solution that is guaranteed not to result in my tech-illiteracy destroying my computer.
Sadly, it was not

Dezztroy posted:

I got it to work by disabling GPU scaling in the AMD control center thing.
because I already have it turned off.
EDIT: HOLY CRAP ENABLING GPU scaling in the AMD control center works!

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 24, 2014

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Can anyone else, y'know, not see items? Like at all? Game's running fine on my sorta low-end laptop, but it won't show souls flying towards me or item glowies on dead bodies. Any help?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Going to your device manager and disabling/enabled HID-compliant game controllers fixes the gamepad issue. :wtc:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
How the gently caress can I stop my character holding up my shield with my controller? Or am I boned?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I get that people are having technical problems but why is this thread so overwhelmingly negative from the first page?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Because a bunch of crybabies got upset that the game wont be pitch black like it was in a video released a year ago.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Pomp posted:

Going to your device manager and disabling/enabled HID-compliant game controllers fixes the gamepad issue. :wtc:

Holy crud this actually works. Now X360ce works perfectly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the gently caress they removed Pyromancers?????

What class am I supposed to pick now?!? :negative:

EDIT: Now I'm gonna be stuck on character creation for an hour because I have no clue what class to play.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Splurgerwitzl posted:

I get that people are having technical problems but why is this thread so overwhelmingly negative from the first page?

The first page was prerelease bitching after the release date got bumped to create the godawful keybinds.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Now I'm gonna be stuck on character creation for an hour because I have no clue what class to play.

Pick Deprived.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Deprived

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Pick w/e class has the best stats for your build/looks coolest. Warrior is a good start because of its high str/dex.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

DO NOT pick Deprived.

A.C. posted:

Explorer is the non-"challenge mode" version of Deprived. It's better (or at worst identical) for a generalist/undecided build and starts you with a bunch of items. I suggest picking Explorer over Deprived in every situation unless you're going for a speedrun (Deprived can powerstance maces with fewer souls spent than Explorer) because the "challenge" of Deprived is over as soon as you can equip a weapon and stop using your fists, and you'll miss out on the cool things Explorer starts with.

Though it's worth noting that there's no such thing as min-maxing your build through class selection because Soul Level is completely irrelevant in DS2. Pick whatever class you want to play and don't worry about min-maxed stats.

e: also I'll repost this:

A.C. posted:

I'll go ahead and throw this out there because I remember the crazy confusion of the DS2 thread during the first week of Console release, if anyone playing the PC version has questions that they want answers to, feel free to hit me up on Steam. I know the game like the back of my hand at this point and I know how easy it's going to be for someone to look over your post when this thread is getting hundreds of posts an hour.

It's a lot of fun to participate in this thread for the first few days when players are unspoiled and everything is speculatory, but this leads to a lot of speculatory information and responses that aren't entirely accurate. This is kind of part of the fun, but it's hard to get a definite answer to something without hitting the wiki yourself and spoiling other things, so feel free to contact me if you have a question.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Pyromancy is now rolled into Sorcery, so go Sorcerer (don't actually do this)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Legged it down to the rat king. This is my yard now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Pyromancy is now rolled into Sorcery, so go Sorcerer (don't actually do this)

This is not true, pyromancy is entirely separate from Sorcery. It's basically the exact same as it was in dks with the addition that it now scales with the average of your Int and Fth (and even without investment it's still very strong).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

This is not true, pyromancy is entirely separate from Sorcery. It's basically the exact same as it was in dks with the addition that it now scales with the average of your Int and Fth (and even without investment it's still very strong).

Oh, okay then, ignore me if you haven't already.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Since you can't message people on steam without becoming friends first does that mean we don't get any fun hatemail and can't chat with jolly cooperation friends? :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

VDay posted:

Having the mouse pop up in the center of the screen every time a menu or message comes up is a pretty drat goofy thing to not fix/leave in the game.

I can usually ignore things like this but considering how often I have to see it it is driving me nuts so far.