Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Schwack posted:

Mind posting how you got it rolling with a DS4? I can't seem to get it to work :(

Install the driver and set it to "Hide" before you launch the game. It won't detect it otherwise. Also make sure you haven't put any files in the DS2 directory.

DaveKap posted:

For those who have the DS4 working just fine, I have a very important question.

Does the rumble actually work?

I played through this on the ps3 but I can't actually remember when it is supposed to rumble. Is it on damage or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StarkWhite posted:

See my post above. It's hosed up and until they release a fix I would not recommend using a mouse to attack. I'm currently using Q for light right and E for right heavy, and that allows me to both guard break and jump attack normally.

Well, even if I do that how do you do it normally? Is it just like kick/jump attacks in Dark Souls 1?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I am tearing this poo poo up! Its almost like I've done it before :downs:

Cowcaster posted:

Well, even if I do that how do you do it normally? Is it just like kick/jump attacks in Dark Souls 1?

Yeah exactly. Forward and attack at the same time.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Help, does anyone else feel like the controller movement is almost 8 directional? This is pretty much unplayable and I don't understand what's doing it. I move forward and have to go very diagonal for my character to decide to turn.

I tried with both a DS4 and a 360 and it does the same thing. Anyone know what's up?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Install the driver and set it to "Hide" before you launch the game. It won't detect it otherwise. Also make sure you haven't put any files in the DS2 directory.

I played through this on the ps3 but I can't actually remember when it is supposed to rumble. Is it on damage or something?

It tosses me an error when I check the 'Hide DS4 Controller' box that says it can't open the DS4 controller. I've closed all kinds of stuff but it always errors.

To be clear: I'm using DS4Tool 1.2.2

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

DaveKap posted:

For those who have the DS4 working just fine, I have a very important question.

Does the rumble actually work?

This was a huge issue that I still can't get working with Dark Souls 1. Hoping DS2 is special for some reason. :(
I'm using DS4 and it works great, but no rumble. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Although I haven't played the game at all, Dark Souls 1 would rumble when you were over-encumbered and tried rolling. You get that lovely fat roll and it came with rumble. I would hope this still applies to Dark Souls 2. If all else fails, I'll just plug my DS3 back in since that worked fine with DS1.

... :psyduck:

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
Well, I put 60hrs into the 360 version and I have just sank several hours in the PC version and I have absolutely no regrets about buying both.
GOTY, twice over.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Can't get into the server, I wait a bit, game goes YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED FROM STEAM. GOING BACK TO MAIN MENU.

Yeah no I don't think so game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Disconnecting HDMI doesn't do it for me. :(

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Yod posted:

How do I get it to actually recognize the buttons from my 360 pad? It's showing the prompts but the buttons aren't doing anything.

Found out you need to disconnect all your other USB controllers.

Game is very fun, I suck at dual wielding.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there some kind of procedure to fixing the issue of not connecting to the servers or should I just nut up and play offline?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh, has anyone found the save file?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Ah, so if you're having trouble with a DS4 and cant get it to hide properly, you need to go to Device Manager and disable Human Interface Devices > HID compliant game controller then check the hide box. Start the game up and re enable the device.

At least, that's what worked for me.

edit: Well, it worked for the main menu but not in game. Cool.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the toggle option is driving me nuts how the gently caress do I switch between using a bonfire and getting the torch?! I tried the key maps in the menu but it's not working.

also, so far the game is running very smooth and very fine, there's alot of bullshit confusing control mechanisms but I think I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Okay, kept myself as blind as possible for this game, and just went through character creation which took me like an hour until i could decide on a swordsman.

Afterwards, i got dumped with like 5 different kinds of shields and several strange weapons and even a staff, which... seems very unlike Dark Souls. Item descriptions also make it seem like you're supposed to find them in certain areas instead of getting them dumped on you after finishing your character.

What the hell is this?

/edit: This is what i mean:

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 25, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

the toggle option is driving me nuts how the gently caress do I switch between using a bonfire and getting the torch?! I tried the key maps in the menu but it's not working.

also, so far the game is running very smooth and very fine, there's alot of bullshit confusing control mechanisms but I think I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

It's whatever you've got bound to "two hand weapon", I think the default is N?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HenryEx posted:

What the hell is this?

The preorder DLC.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
god it takes forever to drink an estus.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

HenryEx posted:

Okay, kept myself as blind as possible for this game, and just went through character creation which took me like an hour until i could decide on a swordsman.

Afterwards, i got dumped with like 5 different kinds of shields and several strange weapons and even a staff, which... seems very unlike Dark Souls. Item descriptions also make it seem like you're supposed to find them in certain areas instead of getting them dumped on you after finishing your character.

What the hell is this?

you pre-ordered the game, that's your bonus.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

The preorder DLC.

I preordered and didn't get poo poo. Except some "imported" versions of items, but not the advertised stuff. I don't care tho, would've discarded them anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I preordered and didn't get poo poo. Except some "imported" versions of items, but not the advertised stuff. I don't care tho, would've discarded them anyway.

You don't get them until you pick a character class, have you done that yet? The imported stuff is just the hood and robes you start with.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Preorder bonus? Well that's disappointing. Doesn't really belong into Dark Souls, imo.

Can i get these items through regular play? I'll just throw them away if that's the case and get them "properly".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN PS3!!

Ah, I feel great! It is sorta weird being so close to my monitor since I used my tv but whatevs, still awesome. Im using the HEX GUIDE a goon posted: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615786&pagenumber=609&perpage=40#post427864357

Not sure what he meant there by "get weapon enchanted" since cant really do that this early, otherwise this mace wrecks things. Can't wait to see what modders to in terms of graphic upgrades.

Happy hunting all!!

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Any ideas on how someone can get past the White Screen of Death with someone who only has a single monitor and doesn't use HDMI cables?

I'm pretty shocked that so many people are having this issue. Really ridiculous.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If you alt-tab a lot and use the gamepad unbind mouse1/2 from the attacks. Don't wanna accidentally smack the level up lady!

Maybe I can blame the low res on console. Somehow I never noticed the first bonfire in Heide's before. I managed to beat the boss first try on ps3 but the whole time I was thinking holy crap the run back from Majula is gonna suck.

I think preorder weapons in Dark Souls is kinda weird but they are also really dumb looking and not that great except the mace so easy to throw them into your item box and forget about them.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Holy poo poo this game is so much better on a machine designed to actually handle it hardware-wise. Once they iron out some of the technical issues it will be amazing. Almost no loading times, permanent 60 FPS and online so far has been without issues.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So can you not parry anymore? I don't see any way to do it. Or it limited to shields now and daggers can't parry period?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Game runs great now, except I can't see soapstone messages or item glowies.

Cache verifies just fine so I guess I'll dig through the graphics settings to see what would cause this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know this has respecs, but is it reasonably possible to be a generalist, do-anything-okay character out of the box or do the stats not work out that way/would it put me out of range of co-op and PvP?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HenryEx posted:

Preorder bonus? Well that's disappointing. Doesn't really belong into Dark Souls, imo.

Can i get these items through regular play? I'll just throw them away if that's the case and get them "properly".

As far as I can tell from the descriptions, they're all poo poo you can find in the game, just given to you at the start.

Internet Kraken posted:

So can you not parry anymore? I don't see any way to do it. Or it limited to shields now and daggers can't parry period?
I can tell it's "strong attack" with your left hand, if you're using something that can parry. For some reason a bare fist will do the parry animation, but won't parry.

Or I just haven't gotten the timing right yet.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

HenryEx posted:

You can't get them in normal play, but it doesn't matter because they're all really lovely.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

You can't get them in normal play, but it doesn't matter because they're all really lovely.

They are all found in normal play.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Turncoat Mommy posted:

They are all found in normal play.

I thought you had to go into NG++ or some poo poo to get them all?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I thought you had to go into NG++ or some poo poo to get them all?

No, a certain npc sells them about 2/3rd of the way through the game.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Just got myself some Falconer's armor and the cloth physics rule :getin:.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
My first death was in the tutorial area. I want you to die, so if you don't want to die read this spoiler. I saw that big grey monster, assumed it would be like a boss for the end of the tutorial area. I walk down there and immediately another one sneaks up behind me and two hits me.

Best death I saw was somebody getting up from a bonfire in the safe area and immediately rolling off the edge of the cliff.

I really like the way other players appear, it makes it seem as though the souls of the dead are wandering around.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a cleric the tumour shield and chain shield are alright in the start.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

god it takes forever to drink an estus.

raising ADP will increase your AGL which determines the speed of stuff like drinking estus and invincibility frames of your roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Well poo poo, I've got me this random off brand controller - the right stick causes my sword to swing, no camera movement on anything, and the back shoulder buttons bring up the menus :(

Keyboard and Mouse is decent, but not really my thing.